No announcement yet.

Family Ties (1018)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't like this one either. It had it's funny moments, but was generally boring.
    When Vala shot Tealc' I could see it was him, even from behind.

And....
    Spoiler:
    Still waiting for the Ori, since ep 14

Comment

I thought the episode was out of place and the ending was also out of place but I liked the episode and the ending. Just a oddball episode that I found fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
        I've gotten the impression, just through reading threads here, that TPTB received the cancelation news late during the production of season ten, and that they had time to change plans for only the last two episodes. There are GW members here who could confirm or clarify.
        Even though that question came up a long time ago, I am answering it now, since I happen to read it just yet.
        The cancellation of the show was announced to the crew while celebrating the "200"-episode, which means, that is was still early in the season. Afterwards everybody seemed to be quite cool about it, emphasizing that it is close to a miracle to stay on air for 10 years at all.
        So, I would guess, that issues between Scifi and TPTB came up in the course of the season for whatever reason.

As for the last scene: It was RDA, who once complained that he was not allowed to do a comment on screen, includind the word 'vaginas'. If I recall correctly, it had to do with the ep. 'Menace' and the female robot 'Reese'. They completely spared it or it was censored afterwards. So, by doing this last scene, the writers took their chances and literally threw that censorship massively back into the networks face. And it is probably safe to assume, that this was only chosen as an example of many.

Comment

Originally posted by enibas5 View Post
          As for the last scene: It was RDA, who once complained that he was not allowed to do a comment on screen, includind the word 'vaginas'. If I recall correctly, it had to do with the ep. 'Menace' and the female robot 'Reese'. They completely spared it or it was censored afterwards. So, by doing this last scene, the writers took their chances and literally threw that censorship massively back into the networks face. And it is probably safe to assume, that this was only chosen as an example of many.
          This was likely due to the influence of Robert Cooper, since he all but threw out the rules and Air Force Regulations when he became an Executive Producer on the series. He and RDA apparently were not speaking by the time RDA left the series (something RDA called "quite glacial", in fact, in reference to how they felt about each other). Cooper is also why we got so many sex type scenes in SGU.

Now that I think of it, it was pretty stupid that they wouldn't let RDA says the word "vagina", but he was allowed to use the word "penises" in Season 7's Birthright.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            Now that I think of it, it was pretty stupid that they wouldn't let RDA says the word "vagina", but he was allowed to use the word "penises" in Season 7's Birthright.
            I was thinking exactly the same thing, but actually it was not really necessary for that scene to say it - it was said kind out of the blue and really stood out. So, to me it very much appeared to be a more or less attempt, just to find out, if they can get through with - this time mentioning a male sex organ. Maybe they had a bet going on ...

Thanks for the input about Cooper's influence on SGU. It was not the main reason, but one of them - that I stopped watching it very soon. I am not at all against sexual scenes on TV, and here in Germany we are taking it more liberal anyway - but they have to make sense within the context and I do not appreciate it, if certain elements are used, just to draw "certain" viewers to a show.

Actually years ago, I made a video, kind of touching that very subject if you watch closely.

Try it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAnfPwnL00

Links like that are Ok around here, aren't they?
            Last edited by enibas5; 30 July 2015, 06:22 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Originally posted by enibas5 View Post
              I was thinking exactly the same thing, but actually it was not really necessary for that scene to say it - it was said kind out of the blue and really stood out. So, to me it very much appeared to be a more or less attempt, just to find out, if they can get through with - this time mentioning a male sex organ. Maybe they had a bet going on ...

Thanks for the input about Cooper's influence on SGU. It was not the main reason, but one of them - that I stopped watching it very soon. I am not at all against sexual scenes on TV, and here in Germany we are taking it more liberal anyway - but they have to make sense within the context and I do not appreciate it, if certain elements are used, just to draw "certain" viewers to a show.

Actually years ago, I made a video, kind of touching that very subject if you watch closely.

Try it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAnfPwnL00

Links like that are Ok around here, aren't they?
              As far as I know, the link is okay. I guess you'll find out if it stays here.

I enjoyed the video.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
                I thought the episode was out of place and the ending was also out of place but I liked the episode and the ending. Just a oddball episode that I found fun to watch.
                Agree!!!!
                CARPE DIEM
                ANJA

Comment

Does anyone kknow who was Teal'c sitting next to during the vagina monologues, it looks like Teri Garr.

Comment

Originally posted by sea777 View Post
                    Does anyone kknow who was Teal'c sitting next to during the vagina monologues, it looks like Teri Garr.
                    Hey, I don't know the answer but are referring to this picture:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0900883/...r/rm3487115008

(Am I allowed to put links to other sites here?)

Comment

That's not Terri Garr.

Seaboe
                      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

In a thirteen year perspective, I have four words:
                        'let's talk deal.' and 'vagina.'

Okay, it was a very weak plot, and I can see real Gateies being upset. At this stage of Sg-1, they should have been building to a climax with the Ori. it seemed like the producers were throwing a lot of semi-comedy episodes. But I thought this had some real humor, starting with Vala and Sam tramping down and Boing! the tech sarge gets hit. Also, Fred Willard is always a lot of fun, and he was entertaining. I liked his scamming old ladies, and seeing his apartment...it looked like a pinball machine met Home Design.
                        The camera work was good, and I would have liked to seen Vala more comedic.
                        Landry? Kind of went nowhere, and since his daughter is stiff and cold, I didn't care her character is one of the true failures of Stargate. Also dug in the fact that Landry was a race mixer, but that's not unusual in the military.
                        Also, Daniel played a good raisonneur...the rational character, guiding Vala to deal with her father.
                        Cam had little, but when he was on, he showed his sense of comedy, as did Sam.
                        My only real complaint was when they gunned down the Jaf'fa. In a comedy, you don't really want to kill people; it mixes genres. Also, I never got what Teal'c was doing there standing guard.
                        And, yes, The Vagina Monologues...that's sure a 2006 phenomena, and Teal'c's reactions was one of the best scenes in the series. Chris Judge should be proud. Once again: 'vagina!'
                        A light episode, but it reminds us that at times actors have to overcome the material. I got a lot of laughs out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                          Also dug in the fact that Landry was a race mixer, but that's not unusual in the military.
                          I find this a really bizarre comment. It sounds like something from the 1960s.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                            I find this a really bizarre comment. It sounds like something from the 1960s.

Seaboe
                            I agree with Seabee, that comment is bizarre and offensive as well. There were some comments about letting alcohol on base—I am sure that there were certain allowances for those living in Cheyenne Mountain, sort of like living in a barracks.

I liked this episode, but it did feel squeezed in. It had some funny moments though.

Comment

Working...
                            X