This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
    it's more a question of priorities (some people even being off the priority list)

while you're "campaigning" to have a real serial killer saved, another murder convict - say this time an innocent one (and there's likely plenty of them) - will be offed. he might have been saved if you'd campaigned for him instead. how would you feel then??
    I believe that capital punishment is wrong in each and every single instance it is used for, so I see no difference in campaigning to save the life of someone who has murdered 10 people, or someone who may or may not be guilty. Neither deserves to die.
    My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
      I believe that capital punishment is wrong in each and every single instance it is used for, so I see no difference in campaigning to save the life of someone who has murdered 10 people, or someone who may or may not be guilty. Neither deserves to die.
      Why not?
      sigpic

Comment

State sanctioned executions remove one of our apparently most "sacred rights", the right to life.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          State sanctioned executions remove one of our apparently most "sacred rights", the right to life.
          Perhaps, but so do the people who are sentenced to die. It wouldn't be used if people didn't commit crimes worthy of the punishment.

One life for six. I understand his death won't bring them back but it's not like the state is committing a greater crime.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
            Perhaps, but so do the people who are sentenced to die. It wouldn't be used if people didn't commit crimes worthy of the punishment.
            It's not used in most places period.

One life for six. I understand his death won't bring them back but it's not like the state is committing a greater crime.
            Then as LOS pointed out, are you serving justice or vengance?
            I can understand your desire to remove him from the world, but what real good does it do?
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
              Depriving anyone of their life is morally wrong.

Comment

ah but one of the two deserves to be saved more than the other

Comment

ah but one of the two deserves to be saved more than the other
                  Why? Neither person deserves to be executed. Just because one committed a crime and the other doesn't mean that the person actually did commit a crime deserves to die any more than the innocent one.

Comment

Why? Neither person deserves to be executed.
                    but I didn't say that, I said:
                    one of the two deserves to be saved more than the other
                    not quite the same thing

if you had to choose between saving a real killer such as the one here, or saving a murder convict who's guilty of a "lesser" crime and/or who may even be innocent, if you had to save only one of these two, you saying you would hesitate?

Comment

but I didn't say that, I said: not quite the same thing

if you had to choose between saving a real killer such as the one here, or saving a murder convict who's guilty of a "lesser" crime and/or who may even be innocent, if you had to save only one of these two, you saying you would hesitate?
                      I can give you an answer now, but if I ever had to make that choice in real life, I haven't the faintest idea how I would react.

Comment

but if I ever had to make that choice in real life, I haven't the faintest idea how I would react.

alrite then what about self-defense - right or wrong?

Comment

alrite then what about self-defense - right or wrong?
                          If it comes down to only two alternatives, either the victim or the attacker dies, then it's morally justifiable to kill the aggressor. But if there's a way that doesn't involve lethal force, then that is absolutely preferable. But such a situation isn't in any way comparable to death row, as I'm sure you realise.

Comment

If it comes down to only two alternatives, either the victim or the attacker dies, then it's morally justifiable to kill the aggressor.
                            ah but did you not say that no one deserves death? yet in defending yourself, you are clearly choosing your life over the attacker's. what gives you that right, if all lives are equal?

Comment

ah but did you not say that no one deserves death? yet in defending yourself, you are clearly choosing your life over the attacker's. what gives you that right, if all lives are equal?
                              You're right, I shouldn't have said that in absolutely all cases it's wrong to deprive someone of their life. However, I still think that all life is equal, but if you're in a situation where there really is absolutely no other possibility to save your own life than to take the life of someone determined to take your life, then you are within your moral right to take the life of the aggressor. Because, let's face it, no one would decide that, "oh, it's morally wrong to kill the person who's about to kill me, so why not let him kill me". We're human, and we don't think that way.

I can guess what you're about to say next, but let me just say this: such an occurrence is extremely rare, and doesn't provide for anything like the death penalty, or for shooting someone breaking into your property. I can be all philosophical about morality and the ethics of killing an attacker or not, but realistically speaking, if your life is about to be taken, then you're going to have an over-encompassing urge to preserve your life. It's basic, animalistic instinct, and one which you cannot philosophy away. Capital punishment, however, isn't a decision you have to make in a split-second.

Comment

You're right, I shouldn't have said that in absolutely all cases it's wrong to deprive someone of their life. However, I still think that all life is equal, but if you're in a situation where there really is absolutely no other possibility to save your own life than to take the life of someone determined to take your life, then you are within your moral right to take the life of the aggressor. Because, let's face it, no one would decide that, "oh, it's morally wrong to kill the person who's about to kill me, so why not let him kill me". We're human, and we don't think that way.

I can guess what you're about to say next, but let me just say this: such an occurrence is extremely rare, and doesn't provide for anything like the death penalty, or for shooting someone breaking into your property. I can be all philosophical about morality and the ethics of killing an attacker or not, but realistically speaking, if your life is about to be taken, then you're going to have an over-encompassing urge to preserve your life. It's basic, animalistic instinct, and one which you cannot philosophy away. Capital punishment, however, isn't a decision you have to make in a split-second.
                                complicated isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X