Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny/Fun work experiences or fun Jobs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    It's the end of the world as we know it...

@DigiFluid
    I feel your ticketing pain -- like you have no idea.

@FrankSixer
    A friend of mine's also a voice actor. He does work for Disney, and commercials. Dutch voice actor.
    He recently also started a swordplay academy, teaching swordfighting choreographies.
    I'm a huge Halo fan so which voices did you do?

----

As far as "cool" job goes... I don't know if my job is cool, but it's definitely challenging and varied.

I trained as a graphic designer, and my current job is basically lay-outing forms and official letters for a company specialized in human resources for independent workers (such as child benefits, tax benefits, insurances, anything a starter needs to start their own business, ... and more).

As I have a basic understanding of coding (in C# and Javascripting), I'm also responsible for, by now, 3 automated processes -- yes, I have three robots as colleagues (in the shape of 3 laptops, each running a different workflow). I tinker with their programming when something goes wrong and I check their health status. Microsoft Outlook is giving us some issues and this requires extra attention. I wish we could cut Outlook from the flow but security issues prevent that (for now).

For the record, I also have 3 human colleagues... and together we form a team called Operations. We dubbed it Special Ops.

I'm also the go-to-girl when other colleagues have computer problems.
    IT has seen a significant decrease in tickets from the teams around us.

BUT... it's my hobby that's probably the "coolest" job in my life, because yes, I have to work in my hobby.
    I'm a member of a group who builds replica props and sets, mainly Star Wars, and we are members of a select few who have a direct line withh Disney/Lucasfilm. We were the ones who build the Millenium Falcon last year for the Solo promo tour in the US. We got the actual plans from the actual set, same for when we build Rey's speederbike. We get to attend most all of the Celebrations around the world, and we've done some incredible things and I've met some incredible people.
    Our AT-AT model is the most precious, I think, because it was signed by none other than George Lucas himself. JJ Abrams got to sign our speederbike.

We also have a near lifesize stargate.
    @Falcon Horus

That is so cool.. I have two questions for you

1: do you have any pictures of the life-size Stargate near you?

2: in regards to Star wars, do you know people in the franchise? Actors?

Once you answer I can explain why I asked.. if you would like to keep it private by all means go to your PMS.. please do reply.. as this pertains to something very personal to me..

And to answer your question about Halo, my first actual professional voice acting was in Halo 3, I played an uncredited Australian Marine... That was my first EVER transition from amateur to professional
    I wrote this to you in a p.m. because I didn't want to ask you any personal information in a public forum... But it's up to you... Like I said my question to you pertains to something personal, and very near and dear to my heart in real life not just in the Scifi world..

Thank you
    -Frank
    sigpic

Comment

I would just like to say LOL for the record... It took me an hour and a half to type my crazy ass story on my phone.. and no one has said anything LOLOL... *Internal crying intensifies*

-Frank
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Franksixer View Post
        I would just like to say LOL for the record... It took me an hour and a half to type my crazy ass story on my phone.. and no one has said anything LOLOL... *Internal crying intensifies*

-Frank
        Some folks have an aversion to walls of text, but I read it all and man what a freaking incredible story lol!

Movie worthy. Poor dog, he just wanted some of that protein and he got scolded.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Yeah and even though some of us hate our jobs, we still have to do them and step away from personal time occasionally

That's a terrific story. After all that, it's just perfect that the guy had to screw with you. There's just no other way that sequence of events could have gone
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
            Ah! Didn't see you insta-posted at the same time than me. FYI Frank if you're a Star Wars fan you need to befriend Heightmeyer's lemming, she's got VIP access to SW stuff.
            I can't find that user can you help me out with who that is?I sent you a p.m. explaining and you responded with "I have no idea what you're talking about" LOL... So I resent it... But this is what I'm talking about..

EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE! I THINK I KNOW WHAT THE MISUNDERSTANDING IS! PLEASE READ YOUR PMS! (It's private) SORRY FOR THE MISUNDERSTANDING! IT WAS A TYPO! I didn't mean to confuse you, I hope you can forgive me! It was completely on me brother...

But I do still need help finding that user.. Heightmeyer's lemming... Can you help me out there?

Thanks for the advice bro!
            -Frank
            Last edited by Franksixer; 13 March 2019, 03:57 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

In response to the other two responses I got, I know it is a giant wall of text but it needed to be told in full context otherwise it wouldn't have been as good. So sorry that it's a long post... But Yes, he definitely was the perfect man for the job! That son of a bit*h LMAO

And secondly, while I was standing there, the dog licked the powder... And keep in mind at that time, EVERYONE thought it was anthrax... And no one was concerned?? I think about that to this day, and I never could figure out why no one cared!

That poor doggo! Thanks for your replies peoples!!
              -Frank
              sigpic

Comment

I work in sales so no my job isnt interesting
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  I work in sales so no my job isnt interesting
                  Really sorry about this misunderstanding.....I'm trying to get the title of this thread changed. I already submitted a request. it's not so much your job being fun, I want the title of the thread to be: Has anybody got any funny job/work stories or fun jobs? Something of that nature....So I'm sure you have a funny story that happened with a co-worker, A not so smart customer.... A funny inside joke...something of that nature.. Just a funny work story... Everyone has one, c'mon @jelgate!

Anything that has to do with something funny with someone or something from work... And it doesn't have to be your current job! Fire away bud!

I'm looking forward to your story!
                  -Frank
                  sigpic

Comment

Most of work jokes is about the incompetence of people
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

This is why we get along.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        This is why we get along.
                        Incompetence is one of the universal languages that does not require a Babel fish to understand.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

If you can call having to go out and gather shopping carts in all kinds of crazy weather interesting

It does get kinda interesting when you have to fight 80 mph wind gusts at the same time

Comment

And I love hearing how dumb people are especially when the tasks are so simple! If you don't mind sharing I would definitely give it a read... If you're not comfortable that's fine. Just know that I would definitely love to read it!

Dumb people make my day dude lol
                            -Frank
                            sigpic

Comment

And I love hearing how dumb people are especially when the tasks are so simple! If you don't mind sharing I would definitely give it a read... If you're not comfortable that's fine. Just know that I would definitely love to read it!

Dumb people make my day dude lol
                              -Frank
                              Well, I think we now know why you enjoy life.

Comment

Then he takes off his hazmat suit licks his finger, touches the powder and eats it...

For anyone reading this.... I was so mad at the time that I thought that I was going to kill someone 4 hours standing in place with a 200 lb bag in between my legs covered in an unknown powder that was suspected to be a more potent biological weapon than anthrax only to find out...

It was just an unflavored protein shake...

It doesn't get better than this... Oh, I would have killed that guy, on the spot.

How do I get in touch with Heightmeyer's lemming?
                                That would be me.

A title I picked up a couple of years ago, and a username I use on the message feed over at Stargate Command.

1: do you have any pictures of the life-size Stargate near you?
                                Check your PM's -- for anyone else: Just scroll on down to the bottom of the page.

2: in regards to Star wars, do you know people in the franchise? Actors?
                                We have connections with Disney/Lucasfilm, and ReedPop yes.
                                But not with actors, I'm afraid.

I'll check my PM's later (am at work and about to head into a meeting -- again).

And to answer your question about Halo, my first actual professional voice acting was in Halo 3, I played an uncredited Australian Marine... That was my first EVER transition from amateur to professional
                                PM later -- response to Halo marine -- cool!
                                Now I'll have to replay (like that's so bad ) Halo 3.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X