No announcement yet.

The Rings of Akhaten (3308/708)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The basic formula for writing good fiction is to create interesting, compelling characters and torture them for 300 pages. How they react tells you something about them and makes it enjoyable. Maybe they rise, maybe they fall.

The Rings of Akhaten completely violates this principle.

1. The new characters created for this story are neither interesting nor compelling. The only character from this story with much of any english lines at all is the little girl, and she was not made compelling by them, imo. The antagonist was a blob with no speaking lines.

2. I didn't feel that a good job was done of conveying the threat to the audience.

As a result, you wound up a story filled with forgettable characters facing a boring threat.

The story didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
      I loved this episode for its imagination and the Doctor's hearty speech. First thoughts were of whther or not the Akhaten sun is related to the same species we met in Series 3's 42. Probably not but just a thought
      Hmm, that never occurred to me.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Glow View Post
        The basic formula for writing good fiction is to create interesting, compelling characters and torture them for 300 pages. How they react tells you something about them and makes it enjoyable. Maybe they rise, maybe they fall.

1. The new characters created for this story are neither interesting nor compelling. The only character from this story with much of any english lines at all is the little girl, and she was not made compelling by them, imo. The antagonist was a blob with no speaking lines.

2. I didn't feel that a good job was done of conveying the threat to the audience.

As a result, you wound up a story filled with forgettable characters facing a boring threat.

The story didn't work.
        Speaking as a writer, I rather dislike formula.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

But formula is the basis of most of the Moffat driven series. His episodes were amazing during the RTD era because he always avoided RTD's patterns, but now, he has embraced patterns, cliches, and a lack of complexity. It is only a matter of time until glowly Doctor returns.
          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Glow View Post

I don't know about that. My daughter was quite scared. It depends on your age.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
              In fairness this episode wasn't written by the Moff, but by Neil Cross, who hasn't written for Who before (he's the creator/writer behind the generally rather good Luther, though I'm not sure that ability translates so well to Who), but I do agree with you. I used to absolutely adore Steven Moffat's writing even before Doctor Who, and when he had only one or two episodes a series to do during RTD's tenure, they were pretty much the very best of the season. Now that he's literally and figuratively running the show, I think his writing has slowly got worse and he does seem to be edging more and more towards making it a children's show rather than something that is accessible to all ages.
              Yes, it's strange because Moffat episodes were pretty good during the RTD era. But let's not forget about this episode and any past episodes that the showrunner often rewrites many part of the episode no matter who gets the writing credit on screen.
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post
                Episode on a whole was average, but I really liked the ending! Especially the doctor facing the God.

Yes Clara, give the dog alien your ring so we can get the scouter and we can have a nice emotional scene... it's not like The Doctor has a TARDIS he could use instead...
                If I remember rightly they needed the scooter because they needed to get to the pyramid, and the Doctor has said repeatedly that he never takes the Tardis into battle in case it ever falls into the wrong hands.
                I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

If I remember rightly they needed the scooter because they needed to get to the pyramid, and the Doctor has said repeatedly that he never takes the Tardis into battle in case it ever falls into the wrong hands.
                  It's always amused me in "classic" Who the various ways in which the writers try to get rid of the TARDIS so the Doctor can't use it - dropping it off a cliff, have it floating in space, have it vanish because he forgot to deactivate the pause control etc etc.

Comment

And for the second week in a row, he doesn't close the TARDIS doors behind him.

What's that all about?
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

repeatedly or just last episode?
                      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post

What's that all about?
                        Perhaps it so someone can have sneaked aboard & we get to see them in Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post

What's that all about?
                          Bad detail work!? Just like the Tardis translation circuit should have prevented the whole dog barking scene.
                          That and perhaps the child singer made an error due to horribly repetivie lyrics because the invented song actually had no meaning.
                          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                            Bad detail work!? Just like the Tardis translation circuit should have prevented the whole dog barking scene
                            Ho cho bo cho do ho bo do. Poppa doppa poppa dop. Cho ho.

["It's also an argument that applies to anything spoken by the Juddoon. So there! No, really!"]

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Glow View Post

The story didn't work.
                              Speaking as a writer, I rather dislike formula.
                              Speeking as a student of literatue, I absolutly agree withyou
                              Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post
                                repeatedly or just last episode?
                                Pretty sure the Ninth and Tenth Doctors alluded to the same thing. It's already been set up. It gives them a reason not to have to come with a physical reason as to why the Doctor doesn't use the TARDIS for everything as if he did, there'd be no struggle or anything.
                                I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                                Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Working...
                                X