• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wait for the day that take away Annoyed's license for being too old
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      They built that 50 years ago.. It's called the Interstate Highway System.

It's not a matter of the roadway, it's the skill of the people using. Or driver training system sucks. Basically, if you have a pulse, you qualify.

They'll never fix it though.. You see, the bureaucrats who write the regulations couldn't pass a real driving skills test to save their arse.
      not to mention that with the way they've been building our cars for sale here in the US nowadays...routinely driving at Autobahn speeds (i.e., no speed limits on the Autobahn or so I've heard) would probably very quickly ruin the car's transmission

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        not to mention that with the way they've been building our cars for sale here in the US nowadays...routinely driving at Autobahn speeds (i.e., no speed limits on the Autobahn or so I've heard) would probably very quickly ruin the car's transmission
        Only if you buy a piece of crap.

Comment

While we’re on the topic of driving...People who cut you off and then get mad at you for almost hitting them because they cut you off...
          Just because something is unknown, does not necessarily mean that it needs to be feared. Trust yourself, and the rest will unfold. ~Teyla Emmagen~

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Atlantis Girl View Post
            While we’re on the topic of driving...People who cut you off and then get mad at you for almost hitting them because they cut you off...
            What's really fun is when someone does that to some one pulling a heavy trailer, or even a semi.

Comment

I remember back in the early 2000,s and as far back as the late 60s, cars were literally built to last through a wreck, because back then they werent going so fast. Like the speed limit was what ? 40 ? Cars couldnt really reach that in the sixties could they ? Now the speed limit is what ? 80, cars are going 90.

Here's another peeve related t odriving. Signs that arent needed. For example BUMP. With an artrow showing me where the bump is gonna be.

I dont like these signs because they dont work, because by the time you see the sign, you hit the bump. This scares me, because I could be going down I94 going 120KMH and see a sign "GIANT HOLE" and somehow wind up in Aruba

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

What's really fun is when someone does that to some one pulling a heavy trailer, or even a semi.
                Yikes
                Just because something is unknown, does not necessarily mean that it needs to be feared. Trust yourself, and the rest will unfold. ~Teyla Emmagen~

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                  I remember back in the early 2000,s and as far back as the late 60s, cars were literally built to last through a wreck, because back then they werent going so fast. Like the speed limit was what ? 40 ? Cars couldnt really reach that in the sixties could they ? Now the speed limit is what ? 80, cars are going 90.
                  Actually, the reverse is true.

Muscle cars of the 60's often contained 500+ HP engines that could easily reach more than a 100MPH right off the dealer lot. And these cars were priced affordably, nearly anyone could buy one.

Granted, the supercars of today will outperform them, but they are priced so high, only the super rich can afford them.
                  Also, any reasonably bright teenager could put together his own car at a reasonable cost that would outperform what would come off the dealer lots. I myself had 3 different cars that exceeded 600 HP, all of which could exceed 150 MPH, and one of which I never determined it's top speed. I chickened out at around 170 (the speedo read to 190, if I recall)

Of course that didn't always work out well. A buddy in high school thought it would be a good idea to stuff a big block Chevy 454 (roughly 650 HP as he built it) into a Chevy Vega. He got it to fit, but the result wasn't pretty. Less than 1/2 throttle twisted the entire thing up like a candy cane; sprung the doors, glass, all of it.

Also, pound for pound, today's cars are far safer, designed with crumple zones to absorb crash energy, airbags and other restraint systems, as well as numerous other features that were unheard of in the heydey of the muscle car.
                  Last edited by Annoyed; 09 May 2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Yes it may be true that todays cars are safer, but one wreck = totaled car. My brothers Toarus {1999 model year} got t-boned dead on, and he could still drive it for years afterwards, only thing that happened to his car in the wreck was a dent in the fender. My parents had a van that was similar, only tdamage taken was a small dent in the rear bumper. Today however, any car that gets into so much as a accident with a friggin mailbox or kids bike is hauled off to the scrap heap. Back then, heck before 2000, cars were stupidly afordable, now, one wreck and you're out 40Gs {Dont get me wrong, I try to make my own car last as long as I possibly can. My truck is basically a tank at this point}

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Yes it may be true that todays cars are safer, but one wreck = totaled car. My brothers Toarus {1999 model year} got t-boned dead on, and he could still drive it for years afterwards, only thing that happened to his car in the wreck was a dent in the fender. My parents had a van that was similar, only tdamage taken was a small dent in the rear bumper. Today however, any car that gets into so much as a accident with a friggin mailbox or kids bike is hauled off to the scrap heap. Back then, heck before 2000, cars were stupidly afordable, now, one wreck and you're out 40Gs {Dont get me wrong, I try to make my own car last as long as I possibly can. My truck is basically a tank at this point}
                      maybe they should build new cars out of Crysis nanosuit material

Comment

*snicker* Back in the 70's, we had a huge Oldsmobile station wagon, tipped the scales at 6,700 Lbs. My mother was driving it in a snowstorm once, and some idiot in a Ford Pinto came barreling out of their driveway & ran into the side of this thing. It just bounced off, totaled. My mother stopped to investigate the noise, but she didn't think she had been in an accident. till she got out and saw the remains of the Pinto.

In a collision, mass is the most important factor by far, but this tank also got 4-5 MPG. You couldn't afford to drive that today. Gas was 35 cents/gallon back then.

Comment

People not getting back to you after you text them.

It's been three effin' days for heavens sakes!
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                            People not getting back to you after you text them.

It's been three effin' days for heavens sakes!
                            to be fair text messages can be easily lost or corrupted in transit....maybe try calling the person?

Comment

*snicker* Back in the 70's, we had a huge Oldsmobile station wagon, tipped the scales at 6,700 Lbs. My mother was driving it in a snowstorm once, and some idiot in a Ford Pinto came barreling out of their driveway & ran into the side of this thing. It just bounced off, totaled. My mother stopped to investigate the noise, but she didn't think she had been in an accident. till she got out and saw the remains of the Pinto.

In a collision, mass is the most important factor by far, but this tank also got 4-5 MPG. You couldn't afford to drive that today. Gas was 35 cents/gallon back then.
                              Another peeve, gas prices are a rollercoaster of ups and downs PICK A PRICE AND STICK TO IT!!

Comment

Another peeve, gas prices are a rollercoaster of ups and downs PICK A PRICE AND STICK TO IT!!
                                Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Do you think they would get stuck on "low" ?

Comment

Working...
                                X