Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I'm not gonna get into a Save Atlantis Campaign. I don't think it was ready to go, and I think there's something very fishy and underhanded about the whole thing, and that's what I'm really not happy about. I'll look forward to the movie but most of all take advantage of the last 15 episodes, because really, I love Atlantis as a series.

I really hope the cast and crew get lots of chances to pursue other things in the way that they want to, making other shows, doing theatre, writing, whatever, and I'll be looking out for them after Atlantis ends. I don't know any of them, so I can't speculate as to whether they feel the show ending is a huge disappointment or a new opportunity, but I would imagine a fair few of them probably aren't at all pleased with this decision, and my heart does go out to them.

Having said that, while I agree that we should be thinking of the cast and crew who have lost out here as well, I am a bit tired of being told that the show cancellation, and indeed Atlantis itself, isn't about the fans and we're selfish if we think it is. Television is, in theory, produced to serve an audience, it isn't created in a vacuum, even if more often than not it is dictated more by the relative size of a businessman's wallet. So I think we're allowed to be upset about losing one of our favourite shows.
    Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Comment

I'm not happy about the cancellation but some good points have been made. it had to end sometime and I personally am excited that they are getting the chance to do an Atlantis movie! And with the possibility of another series, it isn't ending completely...Stargate will live on! What more could we ask for when most shows that are canceled end right there with nothing to follow. There isn't anything more to them. I think we are rather lucky as fans. And we have the dvd sets!!
      sigpic
      Winchester Asylum - For the Supernatural Nuts!
      http://z7.invisionfree.com/Wincheste...ex.php?act=idx

Comment

Positive Thought?: At least it wasn't canceled after The Siege II!

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
        O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

true but us fans desver a last season! We need a season 6! then the can air SGU like they did with sg1/sga then get rid of atlantis if they want to.

Harper and Ronon fics
          The Runner

The Outcast and The Outsider

Comment

The stories were getting boring and repetitious. Hot guest star girl of the week. Shep staring at hot chick's boobs. Keller whining all the way through. Teyla doing nothing (what else is new). Zelenka taking McKay's verbal abuse. Lorne standing around doing nothing. Carter reading off Weir's dialogue. McKay magically figuring it all out in the last 5 minutes.

I actually liked Woolsey this year, but making Keller a reg cancelled that out. Beckett and Weir never should have left, and the Ford arc should have been resolved long ago. As someone above said, time to put this old dog out of its misery.

Comment

Originally posted by BambiScott View Post
              true but us fans desver a last season! We need a season 6! then the can air SGU like they did with sg1/sga then get rid of atlantis if they want to.
              If they did that, I personally think each of the projects would suffer greatly. If they write/produce 20 Atlantis episodes, 20 Universe episodes, 1-2 SG-1 movies, and 1-2 Atlantis movies, that would really stretch the writers, the casts, the crew, and the producers very thin.

Comment

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
                True, I'm not going to go bent on a Save-Atlantis campaign, it's just a shock considering how well season 5 has been doing.
                True, it has been doing better than last season, but it's still not bringing in the ratings that Eureka and even wrestling has been bringing in.

Comment

Originally posted by sinfuldraconis View Post
                  If they did that, I personally think each of the projects would suffer greatly. If they write/produce 20 Atlantis episodes, 20 Universe episodes, 1-2 SG-1 movies, and 1-2 Atlantis movies, that would really stretch the writers, the casts, the crew, and the producers very thin.
                  well then get new writers! Evryone complains that sga is copying sg1 alot and it will be the same when sgu gets on. I just want another season so they can have a blow out last season.

Harper and Ronon fics
                  The Runner

The Outcast and The Outsider

Comment

True, it has been doing better than last season, but it's still not bringing in the ratings that Eureka and even wrestling has been bringing in.
                    maybe not for live +sd but check out the ratings after live +7
                    The series that gets the most boost in the 18-49 demo from DVR playback is Sci Fi Channel's "Stargate: Atlantis," which on average doubles its numbers when factoring in Live+7 data.
                    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...6a2745ffc8c7fc
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Why not see this as an opportunity to enjoy 3 different types of Stargate shows?

The cancellation of SGA probably means they will be coming out with Stargate Universe. We'll still have both SG1 and SGA in movie format. What's wrong with that? We'll still have all three 'series' to keep us going.

Everyone knew it was a possibility that SGA was going to get canceled after this season. Joe Mallozzi's been saying it forever now.

Jason Momoa has said he didn't know how long he wanted to continue playing Ronon; Joe Flanigan said in an interview that he didn't know how long he would want to play John Sheppard; David Hewlett, Rachel Luttrel, and Jason Momoa are all new parents. Why not allow them to get on with their lives?

This isn't always all about the fans. Think about how this opens the actors and actresses to pursue other interests now. Sure, they are probably sad that they won't be seeing each other every day and only filming movies, but think about how relieved they must be to have free time to spend with their families, or move on to other projects.

I'm just saying that we should maybe consider looking on the positive side of things - not just for the fans, but for the actors/actresses as well.
                      You make great points and I agree with them. But we all know this is just MGM trying to get Universe like somone else said. Everyone says they're going to stop watching SciFi, and you know what the first thing that popped into my head was? This is going to kill Sanctuary, poor Amanda.
                      sigpic
                      Ten Years, A Lot Of Enemies, A Presumed Death, A Complete Back Story Rewrite....But Still Looking Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Frontastic View Post
                        Everyone says they're going to stop watching SciFi, and you know what the first thing that popped into my head was? This is going to kill Sanctuary, poor Amanda.
                        That's exactly why I refuse to boycott the channel. I still support all the actors/actresses on the shows, as well as the writers, producers, directors, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BambiScott View Post
                          well then get new writers! Evryone complains that sga is copying sg1 alot and it will be the same when sgu gets on. I just want another season so they can have a blow out last season.
                          You talk like good science fiction writers are coming out of the woodwork. Even the ones we have don't come up to scratch every single episode. I think it would possibly have been too much to handle 3 shows running together, even if one of them is now a movie franchise. If a gamble's been taken to try and secure SGU on Sci Fi and keep the franchise going beyond whatever Atlantis' shelf life might have been on television, let's hope it pays off and the show is actually worth watching. Personally, I would have quite happily just have stuck with Atlantis as a season, but then they took the gamble that hopefully not everyone will feel that way.
                          Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Comment

Originally posted by Frontastic View Post
                            You make great points and I agree with them. But we all know this is just MGM trying to get Universe like somone else said. Everyone says they're going to stop watching SciFi, and you know what the first thing that popped into my head was? This is going to kill Sanctuary, poor Amanda.
                            it makes no sense to stop watching SCI FI since they weren't responsible for the cancellation
                            sigpic
                            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

why not see this as an opportunity to enjoy 3 different types of stargate shows?

The cancellation of sga probably means they will be coming out with stargate universe. We'll still have both sg1 and sga in movie format. What's wrong with that? We'll still have all three 'series' to keep us going.

Everyone knew it was a possibility that sga was going to get canceled after this season. Joe mallozzi's been saying it forever now.

Jason momoa has said he didn't know how long he wanted to continue playing ronon; joe flanigan said in an interview that he didn't know how long he would want to play john sheppard; david hewlett, rachel luttrel, and jason momoa are all new parents. Why not allow them to get on with their lives?

This isn't always all about the fans. Think about how this opens the actors and actresses to pursue other interests now. Sure, they are probably sad that they won't be seeing each other every day and only filming movies, but think about how relieved they must be to have free time to spend with their families, or move on to other projects.

I'm just saying that we should maybe consider looking on the positive side of things - not just for the fans, but for the actors/actresses as well.
                              i totally agree!!!!!!! Green for you!!
                              sigpic
                              Spoiler:
                              McKay: Crap!

Hermiod: What did you do?

McKay: I ran it through a translation programme, it's Wraith.

Hermiod: Crap indeed!
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              O'Neall: Yasureyoubetya!

Comment

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, but have been a Stargate fan forever.

I do agree with all this. I really thought Atlantis had another good season in it also, but I'm not surprised about the cancellation either. It's been talked
                                around all over the place in the last few months.

I will continue to watch Sci-fi, I will support Amanda Tapping's new show, and the new Stargate series. When Atlantis began, I didn't know any of the cast members except a couple, and I grew to love them all, I hope for the same results with the new Stargate.

And you're right, how many shows get canceled, and the fans never hear anything from them again? Too many to name. At least we get something, even if it's not as good as a series, it's better than what most shows get.

So I will continue on watching this last season, and look for all the actors from now on and support them in what they choose to do.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X