just started watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
    I gotta comment here. I can understand why you would feel confused or somewhat ambivalent when you start watching, but by the end of season one, you will be hooked. At that point, the character relationships start to solidify and you are given a much better villain. I started watching Farscape after SG-1 was canceled (I know, I was a late comer) and I was confused through most of season one, but after that, I loved it. Basically, it takes a while to get immersed in Farscape.

Farscape does make you think and figure some things out on your own. It also reminds you not to take everything seriously, because occasionally it's just plain wacky.

As for the acting... I've heard several complaints about it lately, but I think that's mostly because the characters don't make sense when you only watch one or two episodes, so viewers interpret their own confusion as bad acting. All of the lead actors are quite good (even some of the supporting actors were quite good... often good enough to become a major part of the show).

Keep watching. I'm glad I did.
    Yeah, it does take some time to get used to the world of Farscape. It is definitely not your normal Science Fiction show. But in the end, it is so well worth it.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
      You forgot DNA Mad Scientist. That's one awesome eps from S1.
      You know what? I'm watching that episode, right now. It's near the end. That is one of the awesome episodes, isn't it? I think it was one of the first episodes I watched, too.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
        Yeah, it does take some time to get used to the world of Farscape. It is definitely not your normal Science Fiction show. But in the end, it is so well worth it.
        I think I got straight into it. I first watched five minutes of Durka Returns. My brother switched the channel to one of the silly kids shows they show in the morning when the title thingy came up. I think the next episode I watched was PK Tech Girl, cos I remember my first 2 "episodes" having something about Durka. The next episode I watched was That Old Black Magic. I think that was the one that did it for me. I loved that episode.

Comment

Originally posted by icelandicwolf View Post
          Just started watching farscape..am up to episode 7, am enjoying it of sorts. some of the story lines are just plain daft, and outside the main actors some of the acting is just a joke...please tell me it gets better
          LOL, i thought alot of the exact same thing you just stated when I first starting watching Farscape. But like brother./freelancer said, "it gets better". The first season can be a little rough, if you aren't loving it or at least interested by half-way through season 2 then it might not be for you.
          The USS Defiant Rocks!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by THe KiKO peRsON View Post
            I think I got straight into it. I first watched five minutes of Durka Returns. My brother switched the channel to one of the silly kids shows they show in the morning when the title thingy came up. I think the next episode I watched was PK Tech Girl, cos I remember my first 2 "episodes" having something about Durka. The next episode I watched was That Old Black Magic. I think that was the one that did it for me. I loved that episode.
            Don't get me wrong, I liked Farscape from the beginning. It just took a little while to get used to how TPTB did things on that show.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by THe KiKO peRsON View Post
              You know what? I'm watching that episode, right now. It's near the end. That is one of the awesome episodes, isn't it? I think it was one of the first episodes I watched, too.

DNA Mad Scientist is the first eps that really hit me that this Farscape show was not my momma's Star Trek. That NEVER would have happened on ANY incarnation of ST, imho. I was already hooked on the show from just the commercials I'd seen...but this cemented my long loving obsession with this frellin'tastic show. ;D
              sigpic
              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                Don't get me wrong, I liked Farscape from the beginning. It just took a little while to get used to how TPTB did things on that show.
                Weird thing is, I didn't start watching the show till sometime towards the very end of Season two. So imagine how confused I was.

For some reason I decided to watch the ep on Skiffy and then never looked back. I was hooked...even though I then had to wait out the break for season three to then air....

I guess somewhere in all that, Skiffy eventually showed reruns of the 1st and 2nd season so I could get caught up.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                  Weird thing is, I didn't start watching the show till sometime towards the very end of Season two. So imagine how confused I was.

For some reason I decided to watch the ep on Skiffy and then never looked back. I was hooked...even though I then had to wait out the break for season three to then air....

I guess somewhere in all that, Skiffy eventually showed reruns of the 1st and 2nd season so I could get caught up.
                  Yeah, that would have definitely been confusing.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
                    DNA Mad Scientist is the first eps that really hit me that this Farscape show was not my momma's Star Trek. That NEVER would have happened on ANY incarnation of ST, imho.
                    You've got that right! Really, Farscape is just not your standard sci-fi show. I think some people are put off by its weirdness, and the fact that they don't pull their punches. In my experience, Farscape is truly unique among other sci-fi shows.

I'm impressed that you kept with it! I started watching them in order from the beginning (on DVD, VHS or whatever I could get my hands on), and I was still confused! For some reason, I only understood about 60% of the dialogue when I started. I think it was a combination of the accents, the original Farscape vocabulary, and Crichton's random exclamations.
                    Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                    Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Well the John/Aeryn story got me hooked. Probably still my favorite ship of all time. (And to think I'm not much of a shipper to begin with when it comes to characters on tv.)

Plus I had to find out what was going on with crazy Crichton.

Farscape is definitely one of my all-time top 10 tv shows.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

I forgot about that. Crazy Crichton and two Scorpys would be enough to make anyone curious (I think by the end of the series, I was more interested in Scorpius than Crichton).

I agree with you on the John/Aeryn thing. I'm generally against ship in... well, almost everything. But I make an exception for those two. Definitely the best ship I've seen in sci-fi (probably on any TV show really, since I can't think of anything better).
                        Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                        Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Well the John/Aeryn story got me hooked. Probably still my favorite ship of all time. (And to think I'm not much of a shipper to begin with when it comes to characters on tv.)

Plus I had to find out what was going on with crazy Crichton.

Farscape is definitely one of my all-time top 10 tv shows.
                          I'd put Farscape in my Top 5, easily. This show, even with how many times I've seen the episodes over the years, still amazes me at times when I watch it. Farscape was a work of art IMO.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I'd put Farscape in my Top 1

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                            The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
                              I'd put Farscape in my Top 1
                              Couldn't agree more It's still my TOP 1 and I don't think it's gonna ever change

Comment

I'd say it's tied with SG1 for my top #1 TV show. I can't choose between them, even though I like them for completely different reasons.

Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Working...
                                X