MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post
    Hmm, considering how often I've heard them say this by now, and especially on Twitter too, I would imagine they're pretty close to a burn-out over there, seeing how they're working that hard for more than half a year on this already...
    Well it would not be good for business if they said anything else, too but yes, maybe it does not happen because they are all burned out already

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
      Well it would not be good for business if they said anything else, too but yes, maybe it does not happen because they are all burned out already
      LOL!!

Let's not forget that Android users still have no decent sound so if that doesn't get solved, like sooner rather than later, this project will really be a blemish on the reputation of MGM -- unless they really don't care one way or another, and blame it all on the subsidiary United Artists which, I think, are responsible for the Stargate Command team (at least they are the ones the Sweepstakes website refferrenced to).

Speaking of the sweepstakes -- I happened to read the privacy agreement for that and boy... not entirely sure I'd want to be involved in it (I couldn't but I'm fairly certain not everyone read the fine print cause it wasn't a free trip -- not at all).
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        LOL!!

Let's not forget that Android users still have no decent sound so if that doesn't get solved, like sooner rather than later, this project will really be a blemish on the reputation of MGM -- unless they really don't care one way or another, and blame it all on the subsidiary United Artists which, I think, are responsible for the Stargate Command team (at least they are the ones the Sweepstakes website refferrenced to).

Speaking of the sweepstakes -- I happened to read the privacy agreement for that and boy... not entirely sure I'd want to be involved in it (I couldn't but I'm fairly certain not everyone read the fine print cause it wasn't a free trip -- not at all).
        I do not use Netflix but I still think SG:O would be better off running there than on the command site, at least they get their things running fine enough for everyone who has it, that is what I hear at least

Well if they did not read it, it's their own fault. It is always wise to read the terms and privacy agreements of any site you create an account with....even in RL. Signing something or agreeing to something without having read the terms is often not having the best results for the customers

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
          Signing something or agreeing to something without having read the terms is often not having the best results for the customers
          I have to admit I sin against this but not when it's something that involves paying for or something like a sweepstake/competition. Always check the fine print.

I always joke at the Command message feed that I'm probably the only one who read the TOS, the PA and the FAQ.

Comment

5 weeks until the premiere... Still no new promotional pictures about the gate or the cast or something with the SG:O logo on it.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              5 weeks until the premiere... Still no new promotional pictures about the gate or the cast or something with the SG:O logo on it.
              There's the teaser trailer...

But if you search for stargate origins online, all you get are articles which are 4 months old, or references to the teaser trailer. Nowhere does it say that access is limited. And the 30 tweets on twitter are almost all tweets from people who are going to be bitterly disappointed when they learn they don't actually have access to Origins (unless they're happy with 20 of the 80 minutes).

Comment

So looking at the new trailer did they go through the gate? I was confused at one point in the trailer. Or are they still just in Egypt. Correct me if I am wrong also, Catherine never mentioned going through the gate in SG-1 right?

Comment

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
                  So looking at the new trailer did they go through the gate? I was confused at one point in the trailer. Or are they still just in Egypt. Correct me if I am wrong also, Catherine never mentioned going through the gate in SG-1 right?
                  It's the million dollar question everyone's been asking. It was also the first thing my sister asked when I showed her my rendition of the trailer.

And the answer: nobody knows for sure but it would royally screw/retcon/alter cannon cause from what SG-1 taught us Catherine didn't go through the gate until Torment of Tantalus -- or at least it didn't look like she had stepped through before that time.

However, at the time, there was no reference to Origins possible, so she could have gone through the gate earlier, but it would still frak up 1994 cannon where they open the gate for the "first time" when Daniel solves the address problem. Which in Torment of Tantalus is being altered to "opened-once-before" when Ernest got lost. Those files were 'lost', remember.

However, if they step through the gate in Origins (which I personally doubt, a little I might add) then why did she need Daniel to solve the problem of the gate in the 1994 movie. But again, when that movie was written there was no real backstory for Catherine, just that she was Professor Langford's daughter and present when the gate was founed in Gizeh.

Comment

FH: I know. I just want to believe in this project.

Gatechick: Maybe it will be an incoming wormhole and some random alien race make some chaos at the warehouse/base. Or maybe they will use it without the DHD. Maybe the Nazis found out that an old relic is an alien technology, who knows? If they could use that alien device what Teal'c has put on the gate in the Continuum, they can dial the gate without the DHD. On the other hand...

How should they know the gate addresses? Has the old Mitchell in 1929 or DJ in ancient Egypt revealed such things after time travel (Continuum and Moebius)? Since Ben Browder or Michael Shanks are not in this project, I really doubt it.

The aliens can still erase the memories of the team at the end or they will start completly a new alternate reality with this adventure.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Gatechick: Maybe it will be an incoming wormhole and some random alien race make some chaos at the warehouse/base. Or maybe they will use it without the DHD. Maybe the Nazis found out that an old relic is an alien technology, who knows? If they could use that alien device what Teal'c has put on the gate in the Continuum, they can dial the gate without the DHD. On the other hand...

How should they know the gate addresses? Has the old Mitchell in 1929 or DJ in ancient Egypt revealed such things after time travel (Continuum and Moebius)? Since Ben Browder or Michael Shanks are not in this project, I really doubt it.
                      Don't expect tie-ins with any of the existing series or the movie, especially since the design of the gate is not following series-design, and I even think it doesn't match movie design either cause there are some chevrons missing -- there should be 38 and there are only 36 (SG-1 had 39).

I think it will be an entire new set-up...

The aliens can still erase the memories of the team at the end or they will start completly a new alternate reality with this adventure.
                      Except it won't be an alternate universe -- that's what will happen to SG-1, SGA and SGU, and by extent 1994 movie. Because everthing after Origins won't match up with it.

And I too want this project to be succesful (I mean, my avatar should tell you as much) but I can't support something where the people behind it do not value all their fans when they say "For the Fans" -- that's simply a cheap marketing trick, and will probably bite them big time when all those who haven't figured it out that they don't matter will come to realise they have no access to 80 minutes of the thing.

Comment

And the answer: nobody knows for sure but it would royally screw/retcon/alter cannon cause from what SG-1 taught us Catherine didn't go through the gate until Torment of Tantalus -- or at least it didn't look like she had stepped through before that time.
                        It depends heavily on circumstances. Though now that i think about it, if they successfully go through the gate, the whole 'went first' problem isn't the problem.

When they went through in Tantalus, the guy had a diving suit on and an air hose, which got cut off when the gate deactivated. But if they travel to (and more importantly, return from) another planet, then that flies in the face of Tornment, since why would they go through all this trouble, if they knew the air hose thing wouldn't work.

Except it won't be an alternate universe -- that's what will happen to SG-1, SGA and SGU, and by extent 1994 movie. Because everthing after Origins won't match up with it.
                        SG1 is already in Alternate Universe number 3-4, and with Atlantis its probably number 6 or 7, and with SGU it's at least 3 more ("Time"). So i wouldn't think to hard about the whole AU thing.

Comment

I think I already have a headache with this whole Origins thing.

Comment

FH: I believe there was 9 chevrons on the SG:O gate. If they make such a huge basicv mistake, then I will be really-really disappointed.

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
                            I think I already have a headache with this whole Origins thing.
                            Maybe it is a Goa'uld!

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              When they went through in Tantalus, the guy had a diving suit on and an air hose, which got cut off when the gate deactivated. But if they travel to (and more importantly, return from) another planet, then that flies in the face of Tornment, since why would they go through all this trouble, if they knew the air hose thing wouldn't work.
                              Wow... holy crap... ...good catch.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              SG1 is already in Alternate Universe number 3-4, and with Atlantis its probably number 6 or 7, and with SGU it's at least 3 more ("Time"). So i wouldn't think to hard about the whole AU thing.
                              But it would not fit the timeline (as they claim) and it would be detrimental, in my opinion, to the continuation of the franchise -- imagine, you're a newbie watching Origins by chance, and then find out there's a whole continuation (from their point of view) which doesn't match and may claim an entirely different backstory for the characters you just watched.

That's like Knightfall bending history to suit the story of the Templar Knights, and make it more interesting. Or the creators of Victoria taking liberty with two historical figures (which was done well, but the men never met in reality, which was an utter disappointment to learn about when researching the two figures, I might add).

FH: I believe there was 9 chevrons on the SG:O gate. If they make such a huge basicv mistake, then I will be really-really disappointed.
                              If I count correctly, on the low quality image, there are indeed 9 chevrons but only 36 symbols.

Comment

But it would not fit the timeline (as they claim) and it would be detrimental, in my opinion, to the continuation of the franchise -- imagine, you're a newbie watching Origins by chance, and then find out there's a whole continuation (from their point of view) which doesn't match and may claim an entirely different backstory for the characters you just watched.
                                Maybe, but i don't think that's the goal. If Origin is successful, it'll likely be followed by an announcement of a sequel, one that imagines a slightly different Earth with a different setup exploring the galaxy of Origins.

If it fails, we'll treat it like Stargate Infinity.

Comment

Working...
                                X