X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Err, NO. Lawyers don't write the law.
    They don't?

Maybe not in the down under, but around here, they certainly do. And they always look out for themselves and their brethren.
    You've never wondered why they can pass laws till the cows come home, but it seems to have no effect at all on many problems?

https://measureofamerica.org/113-congress-infographic/

Over 95 percent of members of Congress have completed a bachelor’s degree or higher; only 28 percent of the general population has. While 0.6 percent of the U.S. adult population are lawyers, 41 percent of the 113th Congress are. Members of Congress are sixty-eight times as likely as all American adults to have practiced law.
    And what of the deep state buerocraps that actually write the regulations to enforce the law? How many of them are lawyers?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      They don't?

Maybe not in the down under, but around here, they certainly do. And they always look out for themselves and their brethren.
      You've never wondered why they can pass laws till the cows come home, but it seems to have no effect at all on many problems?

https://measureofamerica.org/113-congress-infographic/

And what of the deep state buerocraps that actually write the regulations to enforce the law? How many of them are lawyers?
      They are not practicing lawyers, they are, as the US would say, LAWMAKERS, voted in to use or interpret the law as passed by bills the house and senate. You are confusing education with profession.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

They are not practicing lawyers, they are, as the US would say, LAWMAKERS, voted in to use or interpret the law as passed by bills the house and senate. You are confusing education with profession.
        Once a snake, always a snake.. A leopard can't change its spots.... pick whatever analogy you want.

Dealing with legal issues and understanding the process *should be* something the average citizen can do themselves. But the lawyers have convoluted the thing so much that its not possible for the average citizen to understand the ground rules, leaving them forced to pay a lawyer.

Works out damned well for the lawyers, doesn't it? You think that's an accident?

Comment

I went to Amazon yesterday to buy cat food. I found the brand I wanted in a box of 12 small cans. The price was $22.00. That is $10 more than I can buy the same thing at the grocery store. I sent them a memo saying I felt like that was price gouging. Obviously, I didn't buy it.

Comment

Some Amazon sellers are really trying to take advantage, I saw a jar of Nutella (that normally goes for around $7 regular price) being offered for $24.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
              Some Amazon sellers are really trying to take advantage, I saw a jar of Nutella (that normally goes for around $7 regular price) being offered for $24.
              make sure to note the name and seller of the person selling it and post a comment on their pages and star rating , that is one thing that sellers hate, when they see their star rating go down this can effect their sales.

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                make sure to note the name and seller of the person selling it and post a comment on their pages and star rating , that is one thing that sellers hate, when they see their star rating go down this can effect their sales.
                I think you can only post comments on sellers pages and rate them when you buy stuff from them, at least that's how it worked the last time I bought from a seller (and I wasn't about to buy a $24 jar of Nutella). Amazon sellers charging much higher than normal prices for common items seems pretty widespread right now for a lot of products that Amazon itself is out of stock on. There's probably a way to report sellers on Amazon, but I'm not sure how since I haven't really looked into it.
                Last edited by VampyreWraith; 09 April 2020, 11:27 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

That's absurd. One of the reasons I tick the checkbox "amazon prime" on anything I'm shopping for that. That alone restricts it to "fulfilled by amazon" which cuts out long shipping times, and then I try to be sure the seller is Amazon, not a 3rd party.

But I'd blow that vendor in to Amazon, and if you can, to the state. We do have anti-gouging laws in this state,

Comment

Amazon sellers charging much higher than normal prices for common items seems pretty widespread right now for a lot of products that Amazon itself is out of stock on. There's probably a way to report sellers on Amazon, but I'm not sure how since I haven't really looked into it.
                    Amazon has a way to talk to them in their help sections. Give 'em your ph. # and they will call you back. They probably can't force a 3rd party to toe the line, but they do care about their reputation as a whole.

Comment

We call 'em 2 dollar shops or the reject shop here mate.
                      Australian economy too inflated for 1 dollar shops eh?

Dollar Tree is about the only true dollar store we got left (where everything is a dollar or less) and even then some things have gone up, not over $1 of course but for example candy bars used to be 50 cents apiece and are now like 80 cents apiece

Comment

That's absurd. One of the reasons I tick the checkbox "amazon prime" on anything I'm shopping for that. That alone restricts it to "fulfilled by amazon" which cuts out long shipping times, and then I try to be sure the seller is Amazon, not a 3rd party.

But I'd blow that vendor in to Amazon, and if you can, to the state. We do have anti-gouging laws in this state,
                        I've bought from third party sellers before and some of them can have good deals and fast shipping during normal times.

Amazon has a way to talk to them in their help sections. Give 'em your ph. # and they will call you back. They probably can't force a 3rd party to toe the line, but they do care about their reputation as a whole.
                        I think Amazon is either cracking down due to or the gougers sold out of product. I was going to do that for the nyquil/dayquil cough and cold combo pack, that I saw the other day being sold for $56, right now though it's listed as currently unavailable with no sellers. A lot of other things that were in the "save for later" section of my cart that were being sold way over price are also now listed as currently unavailable with no sellers. The Nutella was in stock (and being sold by Amazon) for a few hours earlier today and I ordered a jar for $6.49. It's out of stock now and the lowest price it's being offered for by sellers is $18.75, and these are sellers with good ratings.

Screenshot_20200409-185526_Amazon Shopping.jpg
                        sigpic

Comment

amazon IS cracking down on gougers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ts/2904729001/

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...nfusion-2020-4

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/t...n-sellers.html

I think ebay and craigs list are doing the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                            Australian economy too inflated for 1 dollar shops eh?

Dollar Tree is about the only true dollar store we got left (where everything is a dollar or less) and even then some things have gone up, not over $1 of course but for example candy bars used to be 50 cents apiece and are now like 80 cents apiece
                            Eh, some things are less than a dollar still mate
                            We just call them 2 dollar shops because that's around the average price of stuff.
                            As for inflation, I've actually looked at US prices for stuff in supermarkets, and they are pretty comparable to ours for the most part.
                            Pity your pay checks aren't equally "inflated"
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                              It's good to know that they're cracking down on the price gouging, especially on the essential stuff. I mean people can wait awhile for the Nutella to come back in stock at a reasonable price, but people may not be able to wait for the cough or fever medication and may be desperate enough to pay $50+ for it, and that's just not right.
                              sigpic

Comment

In the US, Amazon and Walmart are price gouging on women's bikes. About 4 months ago, they were a lot cheaper especially Schwinn.

Comment

Working...
                                X