Star Trek Questions and Answers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    FWIW, this is my preferred map of the 'local' powers....but it's just that, it doesn't include the rest of the galaxy like the one above.
    Yeah that’s the one that’s in the Star Charts book that the Galactic one came from too. Again shares a lot of the same problems to my mind. But for simplicities sake it’s the easiest one to go by.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

The same book? That's odd. The galaxy view has the Fed/Cardassian/Ferengi space in a different alignment.

And you're absolutely right -- top-down/2D works fine when you're planetbound, but not so much in the three dimensions of space.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The same book? That's odd. The galaxy view has the Fed/Cardassian/Ferengi space in a different alignment.

And you're absolutely right -- top-down/2D works fine when you're planetbound, but not so much in the three dimensions of space.
        They could potentially be from two different editions.

Comment

The character reappeared in the TOS Season 1 two-parter "The Menagerie," which was ultimately just an excuse to recycle all the footage from "The Cage," which was never expected to see the light of day, because it was an easy and cheap way to fill two episode slots. Here, Pike is crippled and badly scarred from an accident that happened offscreen, and he's played by Sean Kenney.
          And in a strange coincidence, apparently today is Sean Kenney's 75th birthday.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

And in a strange coincidence, apparently today is Sean Kenney's 75th birthday.
            You know I’m actually trying to think now if there are any other characters in Star Trek that have been portrayed by as many different actors as Pike and Spock... not counting like Childhood Flashbacks and things.

I mean I suppose you could count Picard as three since you have Stewart, the very brief apearence of a young Picard in Tapestry and the child but not a child version of him from Rascals... But that might be stretching the definitions a bit.

Comment

Looks like I'd need a lifetime to get into that franchise. I think I'll stick to eggheads.
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                I mean I suppose you could count Picard as three since you have Stewart, the very brief apearence of a young Picard in Tapestry and the child but not a child version of him from Rascals... But that might be stretching the definitions a bit.
                Again it would be a stretch, but I suppose you could also count Tom Hardy/Shinzon.

You know I’m actually trying to think now if there are any other characters in Star Trek that have been portrayed by as many different actors as Pike and Spock... not counting like Childhood Flashbacks and things.
                I guess it would primarily be TOS-era characters....
                - all of the TOS core cast (due to the JJverse)
                - Pike (Hunter & Kenney for TOS, Bruce Greenwood for JJverse, Anson Mount for DSC)
                - Number One (Maj Barrett in The Cage, Rebecca Romijn in DSC)
                - Sarek (Mark Lenard in TOS/films/TNG, the TAS voice actor, the JJverse version, and now James Frain)
                - Amanda (Jane Wyatt in TOS/films, Maj Barrett in TAS, Winona Ryder in JJverse, Mia Kirshner in DSC)
                - Harry Mudd (Roger Carmel in TOS, Rainn Wilson in DSC)
                - Khan (Ricardo Montalban in TOS/films, Benedict Cumberbatch in JJverse)
                - Vina (Susan Gibson in The Cage, Michelle George in DSC)
                - the Talosian Keeper (The Cage and DSC, no idea who the actors were)
                - Saavik (Kirstie Alley in TWOK, Robin Curtis in TSFS)

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post

Looks like I'd need a lifetime to get into that franchise. I think I'll stick to eggheads.
                Glad to help

Comment

Again it would be a stretch, but I suppose you could also count Tom Hardy/Shinzon.

I guess it would primarily be TOS-era characters....
                  - all of the TOS core cast (due to the JJverse)
                  - Pike (Hunter & Kenney for TOS, Bruce Greenwood for JJverse, Anson Mount for DSC)
                  - Number One (Maj Barrett in The Cage, Rebecca Romijn in DSC)
                  - Sarek (Mark Lenard in TOS/films/TNG, the TAS voice actor, the JJverse version, and now James Frain)
                  - Amanda (Jane Wyatt in TOS/films, Maj Barrett in TAS, Winona Ryder in JJverse, Mia Kirshner in DSC)
                  - Harry Mudd (Roger Carmel in TOS, Rainn Wilson in DSC)
                  - Khan (Ricardo Montalban in TOS/films, Benedict Cumberbatch in JJverse)
                  - Vina (Susan Gibson in The Cage, Michelle George in DSC)
                  - the Talosian Keeper (The Cage and DSC, no idea who the actors were)
                  - Saavik (Kirstie Alley in TWOK, Robin Curtis in TSFS)

Glad to help
                  Amanda and Sarek were the others I was trying to think of.

I always forget that Saavik only had two actresses cos I always think of Valeris from Star Trek VI as Saavik 2.0 .

As for how long in takes... Getting into Star Trek is easy... Getting out is hard. I’ve also been watching it since I was three years old. One of my earliest memories is playing with an old Metal Tonka toy of the original series Enterprise while sat in front of the tv with my Dad and brother watching The Next Generation, and I suddenly realised I’d been playing with my Enterprise upside down.

Comment

It’s also worth noting that from an in-lore prespective, Captain Pike commanded Enterprise for 11 years before Kirk took over and he isn’t the first Captain of the ship either. He was preceeded by Captain Robert April. The ship was built in the 2230’s, 20 years before Discovery so it has a lot of history to it.

For some visual assistance here is a broad map of the Milky Way Galaxy in Star Trek. It has some flaws but it’s roughly correct.

*image stripped to save bandwidth*

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b8/a0...a119dc39c4.jpg
                    oh my...looks like part of the Krenim Imperium exists in the Gamma Quadrant as well...not far from Dominion space in fact....wonder if the Dominion and the Krenim ever encountered each other at some point and could even be the reason for some of the weaponry that gave Federation starships trouble at first...i.e., the phased polaron weaponry could've been developed as an effective weapon against Krenim warships...would've been a site to see and might've made "Year of Hell" even more interesting if a Dominion battle fleet showed up and started fighting with the Krenim

Comment

I don't trust maps at all to be honest. The writers tend to change them all the time
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                        oh my...looks like part of the Krenim Imperium exists in the Gamma Quadrant as well...not far from Dominion space in fact....wonder if the Dominion and the Krenim ever encountered each other at some point and could even be the reason for some of the weaponry that gave Federation starships trouble at first...i.e., the phased polaron weaponry could've been developed as an effective weapon against Krenim warships...would've been a site to see and might've made "Year of Hell" even more interesting if a Dominion battle fleet showed up and started fighting with the Krenim
                        More likely to be the other way around. The Dominion was said to have endured for a thousand years without defeat. That leads me to think it’d be the Krenim that would invent their chroniton torpedoes in defence of Dominion ships. But as I will point out next...

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        I don't trust maps at all to be honest. The writers tend to change them all the time
                        That is certainly correct. Maps like this are handy guide posts but are mainly built upon by some very limited evidence. We for example have no idea where most of the Federation planets are beyond things like whether they are in the inner or outer areas of Federation space. Nor do we know exactly where the major powers should be beyond knowing that the Romulans and Klingons are mostly located in the Beta Quadrant, but their positions on the map completely disregard several other pieces of evidence throughout the franchise. As for everything to do with the delta quadrant we really have no clue since Voyager’s path was so narrow on its journey that areas belonging to a particular race could be far bigger or smaller than shown here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post

That I can understand.

I'm old enough to have watched TOS on it's first run on NBC. And I've followed the franchise, with the exception of DS9 and Discovery since then.

That is 50+ years of content. Unless it is your full-time job, no one can come in fresh today and expect to ever get "caught up".

Comment

I wouldn't say never.

732 episodes of television divided would only take you two years if you watched one a day. Throw in the 13 movies when appropriate.
                            By that point you'd likely have the first ten episodes of the new Picard show and another dozen or so of Discovery but he'd likely be done in time for Disco season 4, Picard season 1 and Section 31 season 1.

Comment

I did a rewatch once. It took me a little over a year to do the whole franchise. This does not include Discovery because I refuse to pay for the CBS All Access
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Yeah I did a full franchise rewatch a few years back. I don't remember exactly how long it took me, but in the neighbourhood of a year sounds about right.

I'm not demanding you new folks go do so, I'm just joining in

Comment

Working...
                                X