No announcement yet.

Nicholas Rush : Character Analysis through S1 and 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, thank you for starting this thread. Much more interesting!

I think it speaks well of Rush's character when Kiva is endeavoring to discover who he is and she comments, "I doubt very much that civilians or the scientists would have endured this, so the question is whether or not Colonel Young would have put himself in this situation or sent his first lieutenant, Scott."

So, the torture must be more mentally abusive than physically, because he certainly has the advantage of having Telford's relatively younger, fit body so as to endure the pain.

As to Young's decision about venting the air, I think his greater concern is for David Telford - certainly not Rush. Young calls Telford by his first name; no one uses Rush's first name except Wray and Mandy. Young also comments that Telford's "recent behavior" is the result of the brainwashing and so it is implied that before that point in time, he must've been a great guy and possibly a close friend of Young's.

Young (O'Neill for that matter, too) was apparently not concerned for Rush's welfare while he was in the custody of the LA. It's been stated that no one is really sure what will happen if one of the two parties using the stone dies, but hey! let's "kill" David and worry about Rush later. Same thing happened after Rush endured the Chair. No "Are you all right?" but rather, "All right, listen to me. We've got five minutes to stop this ship from jumping into F.T.L."

And I realize it's a script thing, but was there no debriefing for Rush and Chloe when they returned from the alien ship? Isn't someone concerned about how Rush is handling his abduction, which we know was especially traumatic because of the resulting "tick terror" episode? Granted, Rush probably wouldn't want to talk about it anyway. He gave TJ the cold shoulder when she tried to ask him a few questions early on. But after so much, I think he would at least feel better just knowing that someone cares enough to ask after him. It must have done him some good to have had Chloe to talk to and Mandy later on.

The one thing that concerns me re his character development is that he appeared to have adopted a softer attitude after the Chair incident, but recent events seem to have returned him to his old self. All that bickering! Although, given Young's inaction, I'd probably let loose in frustration, too. Young's handling of this crisis has certainly given weight to Rush's accusation that Young isn't capable of making the hard decisions, with which O'Neill seems to agree.

There was that moment when Rush had to make a decision to go back for TJ, but Brody sealed the door. What do you think Rush would have done had not Brody intervened? What is the relationship between Brody and Rush?

And how did Rush find time to change from his fatigues back into his jeans and t-shirt during the middle of a crisis?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kansaikimono View Post
      The one thing that concerns me re his character development is that he appeared to have adopted a softer attitude after the Chair incident, but recent events seem to have returned him to his old self. All that bickering! Although, given Young's inaction, I'd probably let loose in frustration, too. Young's handling of this crisis has certainly given weight to Rush's accusation that Young isn't capable of making the hard decisions, with which O'Neill seems to agree.
      I think Rush was just in a very foul mood. He did just come back from being tortured again and held prisoner with his life on the line if he failed to make a connection for the Lucian Alliance. I'd be in a foul mood too if my de facto leader was choosing a traitor over the safety of the ship and crew. Plus I imagine for Rush if the Lucian Alliance were to capture everyone, his life would become a lot more hellish. Kiva seems quite unhappy with the destruction of Icarus II and perhaps he really did blow it up on purpose and knows he's screwed if Kiva gets ahold of him.

The guy has no luck in this show. He's like the character that the writer's decide to sadistically torture on purpose.

Let's see...

Air
      ---
      Gets blamed for Senator Armstrongs death.
      Chloe tries to beat him up.
      Greer beats him up somewhat.

Time
      ------
      End's up in the past on a hostile alien planet and spends the rest of his days as fodder for the um whatever they were. Though I found it rather intriguing that he ends up holding his own skull a la Hamlet.

Justice
      ------
      Gets beat up by Young.
      Gets abandoned by Young.
      Stranded

Between Justice and Space
      -------------------------------
      Abducted.
      Tortured.
      Mind Probed.
      Implanted.

Space
      -------
      Migraine of the size of the universe when communing with Alien!Young

Divided
      -------
      Gets a gun pointed at him by Young.
      Gets open surgery in the middle of a battle.
      Wakes up during said surgery! Ouch.

Human
      ------
      Goes through traumatic experience all over again.
      Nearly dies in chair from a cardiac episode.

Pain
      -----
      Hallucinates Blue Aliens taking over ship.
      Gets beat up by Greer again.
      Gets beat up by another soldier.

Subversion
      -------------

In Telford's body he gets:
      Captured.
      Tortured.
      Life threatened.

His own body gets:
      Beat up by Greer AND Young.

Incursion Pt 1
      -----------------

His own body gets:
      Suffocated to Death which then results in....

Telford's body:
      Seisure.
      Hand stabbed.

Now back in his own body he gets:
      Shot at by Kiva.

Poor guy... He needs some love after that season. Lol.

Comment

Plenty of Rush love here, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
          Plenty of Rush love here, of course.
          Indeed!

Though I wonder what torment they'll put him through in Part 2. Probably more Young yelling at him or maybe Kiva glaring daggers? Lol.

I'm surprised though that after all he's been through he hasn't cracked yet. I mean the guy's been tortured/tormented twice by non-Terrans. That has gotta effect his mental state somehow. Right?

Comment

Some of you may have seen this post of mine that I made elsewhere on the Forum yesterday :

If you watched "Lost" (Oceanic, the Island, etc. Lost), then you know the running joke was how often Ben Linus got beat up.

Is the running joke in this series how often Rush puts stress on his heart? Seriously. How many months have they been aboard Destiny? Less than a year?

So, you have this character who is nigh unto 50.

He's been the lead scientist on a frustrating project, he's haunted by his wife's death, hated by everyone when they arrive on Destiny, had a stress attack/caffeine withdrawal bout and fallen unconscious in the Gate Room, he's at odds with Young, had both Franklin and Riley injured while they were working directly for him, nearly collapsed from heat exhaustion in the desert, possibly subjected to the terrors on the jungle planet, stirred up trouble by planting a gun in Young's room, been beaten up by Young and left stranded on an inhospitable planet, captured and tortured by aliens, barely managed an escape, implanted with a tracking device, had the tracking device removed under perilous conditions, threatened at gunpoint by Young during a mutiny, endured the Chair, experienced the "tick terrors," subjected to torture in Telford's body, beaten up by Greer, suffocated, and resuscitated by CPR.

Did I leave anything out?
            sigpic

Comment

I missed the caffeine/nicotine withdrawal attack one. Heh.

I would add the stress from "being shot at" part.

But yeah... O'Neill was also subjected to all sorts of stuff himself in SG-1 and I think Sheppard too. Its really not uncommon in a series to subject one of the lead characters to all sorts of torment. Heaven knows I do it all the time to my characters for my stories. Lol.

Though for Rush, I imagine its going to have some serious consequences one day for him. A person can only take so much before they give out. I just hope they dont kill him off when it does and if they do, they bring him back later like they did with Daniel Jackson. Speaking of like Jackson, Rush's goal seems to be finding a way to ascend. At least that is the reasons he gave for continuing on with his work after Gloria died. So what do you think? Will they start a storyline somewhere in the future where Rush explores a means to ascend?

Comment

Originally posted by ONeill4tW View Post
                Will they start a storyline somewhere in the future where Rush explores a means to ascend?
                Hmm. I had the impression that Rush wants to ascend but believes that he really won't be able to do so when the time comes. His character isn't exactly the ascension type, either. He's ornery and unhappy and not actively committed to seeking enlightenment. If there is a script in the future that explores Rush's interest in ascension, I'm thinking it might involve Franklin. While Franklin was in the Chair, he might have reached the same mental state that Rodney did when he was forced to seek ascension. Only, in Franklin's case, I think he merged with Destiny.

One question to ask is whether the Ascended Ancients are territorial. Did they "exist" only in our part of the galaxy? Sure, they knew the Ori, but there seemed to be a sense of "this is our space and that's Ori space." So, should we expect to find ascended beings in Destiny's arena? Or maybe Destiny is being guarded by an ascended being and hence the indirect involvement the ship seems to provide the crew from time to time - in much the same way Morgana pretended to be a hologram in Atlantis.

It could be that Rush has in the back of his mind the idea that the Ascended Ancients might be found in the vicinity of Destiny, endeavoring to complete the work they left unfinished. Isn't their rule about not interferring only in regards to human development? Out where Destiny is, maybe the rules don't apply. Or at least they didn't until the Icarus survivors showed up.

If the writers don't pursue this part of the story they've initiated, I would be disappointed. You gotta' wonder what their purpose was in bringing it up in the first place, because it wasn't addressed in "Human." But when they do bring it up, there'd better be a good explanation as to why someone, especially Rush, wants to ascend. What's to be gotten out of it, because you can't come back and help anyone you know or apparently use your infinite knowledge of the universe in any practical way. What are the perks of being ascended?
                sigpic

Comment

Hmm. I had the impression that Rush wants to ascend but believes that he really won't be able to do so when the time comes. His character isn't exactly the ascension type, either. He's ornery and unhappy and not actively committed to seeking enlightenment. If there is a script in the future that explores Rush's interest in ascension, I'm thinking it might involve Franklin. While Franklin was in the Chair, he might have reached the same mental state that Rodney did when he was forced to seek ascension. Only, in Franklin's case, I think he merged with Destiny.
                  I think he is committed but unlike Doctor Jackson and Rodney, he might be looking for another faster, easier or less dangerous way. From what I remember Jackson had to understand or become enlightened. Rodney simply had to will himself into the proper mental state but at a risk to himself. Both methods were slow going too.

One question to ask is whether the Ascended Ancients are territorial. Did they "exist" only in our part of the galaxy? Sure, they knew the Ori, but there seemed to be a sense of "this is our space and that's Ori space." So, should we expect to find ascended beings in Destiny's arena? Or maybe Destiny is being guarded by an ascended being and hence the indirect involvement the ship seems to provide the crew from time to time - in much the same way Morgana pretended to be a hologram in Atlantis.
                  I know I mentioned this somewhere on this forum, forgot which thread, but I do believe that there is an ascended helping them out indirectly through the ship which doesn't break the rule as you stated above using Morgana as an example.

It could be that Rush has in the back of his mind the idea that the Ascended Ancients might be found in the vicinity of Destiny, endeavoring to complete the work they left unfinished. Isn't their rule about not interferring only in regards to human development? Out where Destiny is, maybe the rules don't apply. Or at least they didn't until the Icarus survivors showed up.
                  The rule applies to any race I think.

I also believe that the Alterans, Lanteans and Ori are not the only ascended beings. There are others, which is even mentioned in SG-1 during the Anubis plot I think, and I would not be surprised if one went back to Destiny to finish its mission.

If the writers don't pursue this part of the story they've initiated, I would be disappointed. You gotta' wonder what their purpose was in bringing it up in the first place, because it wasn't addressed in "Human." But when they do bring it up, there'd better be a good explanation as to why someone, especially Rush, wants to ascend. What's to be gotten out of it, because you can't come back and help anyone you know or apparently use your infinite knowledge of the universe in any practical way. What are the perks of being ascended?
                  I would say that Rush might be thinking that he could get Gloria back. We know the pre-ascension Alterans were capable of Jesus like powers and ascension would be the next step toward ultimate power. The Ori certainly showed an ascended could pretty much do anything. Though whether bringing back his dead wife is even possible once ascended, I don't know. I would think the Others would prevent him from bringing her back though if it was possible.

Anyway I came to this theory from what was said in the show. She was the reason why he continued with the Icarus Project after her death. So perhaps she is the reason why he wants to ascend?

Comment

Originally posted by ONeill4tW View Post
                    So perhaps she is the reason why he wants to ascend?
                    I wonder to what extent his grief and/or guilt plays a role in his desire to ascend. During the near-bedroom scene in which Mandy is demonstrating her affections for Rush, he breaks away with the explanation that his recent experience in the Chair has renewed all the emotions that he felt during and immediately after Gloria's death. And in the first episode, he's visibly upset when he looks at her photo. Yet, if he had not had the Chair sequence, would he have committed himself to Mandy for that moment?

What I'm getting at is that time helps to diminish the pain of a loved one, though you never get over it, especially if the death is of a parent, spouse, or child. Perhaps in the beginning he wanted to ascend so he could be with Gloria because he missed her so painfully. But now, what if his reasons for wanting to ascend have transformed a bit? Maybe it's his guilt for not having been there for her when she needed him and a desire to "put things right" that urge him on to seek ascension.

But if Gloria hasn't ascended, where is Rush expecting to find her? Do the Ancient Ascended exist in a non-linear time? If he succeeds in saving her, isn't this a case of the time traveler killing his grandfather? How can Rush continue a life in which he lives with Gloria, but never travels to Destiny which is where he discovers the secret to ascension which leads to saving Gloria? Or are we going to have to look at multiple time lines - which I think is the route the SG franchise has adopted. Oh, this is seriously confusing!
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't think Rush wants to ascend, in particular, having doubted his ability already; I think he wants to explore it. Sure, I think it's something to do with Gloria but what, I don't know. Originally, when I first saw Air, I thought it had to do with time travel, you know, saving her from her illness.

Comment

I think Rush originally wanted to find out about Ascension so that Gloria could ascend. It would be a way to save her -- I see that as the root cause of his obsession with the Icarus Project. He was desperately trying to save Gloria. Once she died, he buried himself back into solving it because he felt like he failed her and finishing the project - finding the answers - is all he has left.

In "human" and "sabotage" we're starting to see slow recovery from his grief, he's starting to work through it, but it's not going to be a quick or easy process.

A lot of Rush's journey is going to relate to learning how to deal with his grief and how it changed him, in finding new reasons to live and maybe even love again. IMO, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by ladypredator View Post
                          I think Rush originally wanted to find out about Ascension so that Gloria could ascend. It would be a way to save her -- I see that as the root cause of his obsession with the Icarus Project. He was desperately trying to save Gloria. Once she died, he buried himself back into solving it because he felt like he failed her and finishing the project - finding the answers - is all he has left.
                          Yes, this was how I'd interpreted his interest in Ascension as well, especially as we know he took the project on and became obsessed with it whilst Gloria was still alive but already ill. It reminded me a bit of the film 'The Fountain' - where Hugh Jackmans character is a scientist searching for a cure for death to save his dying wife but his obsession with his work means he misses out on fully being with her in her last few months they had together, such a sad and beautiful film.

Hopefully they'll touch on this again in future epsiodes. I'd also like to see something more about who he was before her illness and death. From what 'Gloria' says to him at the end of 'Human' it seems that he himself feels it changed him significantly. Human didn't give us the real picture as the Rush reliving his time with her was a man who was already deeply wounded by losing her.

Comment

Originally posted by kudra View Post
                            Yes, this was how I'd interpreted his interest in Ascension as well, especially as we know he took the project on and became obsessed with it whilst Gloria was still alive but already ill. It reminded me a bit of the film 'The Fountain' - where Hugh Jackmans character is a scientist searching for a cure for death to save his dying wife but his obsession with his work means he misses out on fully being with her in her last few months they had together, such a sad and beautiful film.

Hopefully they'll touch on this again in future epsiodes. I'd also like to see something more about who he was before her illness and death. From what 'Gloria' says to him at the end of 'Human' it seems that he himself feels it changed him significantly. Human didn't give us the real picture as the Rush reliving his time with her was a man who was already deeply wounded by losing her.
                            I agree completely. I've never seen that movie, but your description of it sounds exactly like what Rush went through. You can tell from his conversation with her at the end of "Human" that he's never really come to terms with his inability to prevent her death. He feels like it is his fault because he failed to find a way to save her. I thought it was beautiful that he knows she would tell him that it wasn't his fault and that he shouldn't take it out on other people, but that he's not quite ready emotionally yet to get there.

I think Rush has this anger in him towards people like Young and many of the others that has to do with them being alive while Gloria is dead. It's a completely understandable and human reaction, and I think he feels it towards himself as well. Why should he or the others be alive when the woman he loved died so senselessly and painfully? Anger is a part of grief.

i'd bet that we're going to see him move very slowly through the stages of grief recovery. You start to see hints of that in "Sabotage" with the connection he makes with Mandy. And also the connection he makes with Chloe after their abduction. They haven't done more with his relationship with Chloe yet, but I think it made more of an impact than we've yet seen.

Comment

Early on, Young accused Rush of being a coward and Rush's response was to hang his head and keep his silence. At the time, my thoughts ran along the line of, "Maybe he is, or maybe he just thinks he is - we'll find out." But his diving through the gate in the jungle, his rescue of Chloe, his willingness to help find Scott, Chloe, and Greer by traveling through multiple gates, and his immediate response to the LA situation are several examples that clearly show that Rush is not a coward.

Now recall the first episode when he's welcoming the Senator. There's an embarassing moment when he's quite the sycophant with the Senator, just before they test the 9th chevron for the first time using Eli's results. Ya' just want to cringe! It's so true that we don't know much about the pre-Destiny Rush.

We all love fleshed out characters that grow and develop as we watch a series. Rush is definitely well-rounded. But the question is, do you believe that Rush has made a conscious effort to prove Young (or himself) wrong, or is Rush's recent heroic behavior quite natural and just never had an opportunity before to show itself? What is it about his character (internal) or environment (external) that feeds so well on this type of conflict? Has the social structure of the ship made him a better or more confident person?
                              sigpic

Comment

Early on, Young accused Rush of being a coward and Rush's response was to hang his head and keep his silence. At the time, my thoughts ran along the line of, "Maybe he is, or maybe he just thinks he is - we'll find out." But his diving through the gate in the jungle, his rescue of Chloe, his willingness to help find Scott, Chloe, and Greer by traveling through multiple gates, and his immediate response to the LA situation are several examples that clearly show that Rush is not a coward.

Now recall the first episode when he's welcoming the Senator. There's an embarassing moment when he's quite the sycophant with the Senator, just before they test the 9th chevron for the first time using Eli's results. Ya' just want to cringe! It's so true that we don't know much about the pre-Destiny Rush.

We all love fleshed out characters that grow and develop as we watch a series. Rush is definitely well-rounded. But the question is, do you believe that Rush has made a conscious effort to prove Young (or himself) wrong, or is Rush's recent heroic behavior quite natural and just never had an opportunity before to show itself? What is it about his character (internal) or environment (external) that feeds so well on this type of conflict? Has the social structure of the ship made him a better or more confident person?
                                Part of it is a response to the trauma and exigencies of the situation he's in, but I think the real answer is found in his conversation with Gloria at the end of "Human" - when she tells him he's not the man she loved and he says that that man died with her and she chides him for it. I think the Rush we see early on is a man so torn up by grief and pain that he's shut himself off from the world, become 'callous' as Gloria says, but as time and circumstances go on, he's put in a situation where he has to act and make some connections in order to survive and he's slowly starting to recover himself. And don't forget that even as early as "Darkness" he's willing to take his name out of the lottery and die with Destiny. He was telling Young the truth when he said that he felt that being on Destiny was his personal destiny.

He is becoming stronger person because he's being tested in extremely traumatic ways, but I think a lot of what we're seeing is the real Nicholas Rush - the man Gloria and Mandy both love(d).

Comment

Working...
                                X