No announcement yet.

Daedalus vs. Andromeda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probable one of the greatest military warships in the history of scifi shows

Andromeda has 40 ELS missile tubes firing 8 rounds per second
    Each missile has 22 megatons of direct hit firepower

Smart missiles reach speeds up to 90% speed of light and are designed to be fired at 1AU or less but variants can reach upto 3AU.

Comment

Originally posted by HAL View Post
      but cant Andromeda take hits from multiple micro black holes and survive I seem to remember that happening once
      Magog PSPs yes. It doesn't take the hits so much as the PSPs pass right through it. It's designed with decentrilized systems so that it can take numerous "through and through" hits like this and still remain operational.

Originally posted by kefke20 View Post
      andromeda vs daedelus

the daedelus will win, the rail guns on blanc point range will tare the andromeda to pieces.
      The AP guns and the PDL will have no efct on the daedelus shields and the andromeda cant jus its missiles at blanc point range and nukes have a ill effect in space and on shield ships.

And for the Odyssey with its new weapons the fight will be over before it begins.
      Well that last paragraph is correct anyway. Caldwell might not even expect the first missile wave in time to raise shields with the sort of distance it's going to be fired from.

The thing that makes the Andromeda so nasty isn't the fact that is has huge wank cannons of doom (even though it does have some very nasty weaponry) it's the way in which it fights.

It fights like no other ship in televised sci-fi that I can think of, and quite effectively at that.

It will not close to spitting range with the Daedalus for one, it will launch sensor drones and fighters for situational awarness while several light minutes away (millions of km) like it always does and then follow up with mass missile attacks from that distance while moving evasively at fractional light speeds and deploying additional fighters and drones for close in defence.

The Daedalus does not have the sort of AI guided point defence laser grid necesary to stop Andromeda's .95c missiles from hitting it. It'll be getting hit hundreds of times per second by fist sized missiles moving at nearly the speed of light and those are the smallest thing Andromeda can fire at it. It also has "strike arrow" missiles so powerful that a fairly small fleet of ships firing them at a planet can blow it up like the deathstar does.

Just one of those will completely destroy the Daedalus and Rommie has a lot more than 1 of them.

Even if you tore out the Andromeda'a engines and emptied her magazines of missiles and just sat her in space with a big red "shoot me" sign beside her the Daedalus still couldn't kill her. She's protected by a laser based point defence grid that regularly shoots down fist sized missiles incoming at .95c.

The Daedalus' slow moving missiles would have about as much chance of hitting her as an ant would have of crossing a river in a thunderstorm. Hell the grid would probably even shoot down the Daedalus' railgun slugs, given that even they are massively slower than the missiles it normally deals with.

This is such a mismatch that it basically boils down to a fight between a guy with a really big axe and an F-18.

Comment

I think your being a little one sided. Regardless of how you speculate on how the battle would play out, an upgraded version of the Odyssey or Daedalus is still far advanced to the Andromeda, correct?

I'm sure that kind of computing power could manage to hit it, or at least close the distance to the point where it could hit it.
        www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

As another Andromeda expert, I'm going to have to go with the old girl. Daedalus may have shields and transporters, but all of its other systems are technologically inferior to the Andromeda. AP cannons or Anti-Proton cannons are like Anti-matter/matter energy pulses which would probably damage Daedy's shields, and the loads upon loads of missles that Andromeda can launch in just a few seconds would easily overwhelm any defense that the Daedalus would have. And that's just weapons, Andromeda's repair capabilities are far superior. Repair nanobots, androids, and if fully crewed with over 4000 people, she can stay in a fight much longer than poor old Daedy...all of this has probably been mentioned but I figured I'd just say my piece...

I will agree however that the upgraded
          Spoiler:
          Asgard improved version of Odyssey seen in "Unending" would probably be able to defeat the Andromeda,
          at least based on a technological standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
            I think your being a little one sided. Regardless of how you speculate on how the battle would play out, an upgraded version of the Odyssey or Daedalus is still far advanced to the Andromeda, correct?

I'm sure that kind of computing power could manage to hit it, or at least close the distance to the point where it could hit it.
            I'm not really. Like I said when I first responded I HATE Andromeda. I regard it as one of the worst sci-fi series to ever hit the airwaves infact.

That aside though the guys that designed the ship in it and how it fights really did do their homework and put in a level of effort toward how combat would happen that I wish more people would emulate.

The Daedalus has some tech edges over the Andromeda but the traditional "get in visual range and trade blobs of glowy ****" type of combat stargate uses is just no match for the sort of combat doctrine they devised for the Andromeda universe.

As a ship that was designed around and employs that doctrine regularly the Andromeda is a vastly superior combatant, even if its tech might lag behind in some areas.

It's not all about tech. Like I said think of the Daedalus as a big strong guy with a giant axe that will crush or slice up any other opponent stupid enough to try and fight him.

The Andromeda doesn't fight him in a swordfight like he's used to though. The way it fights completely changes the game in a way the Daedalus isn't prepared for. It zeros in a sniper rifle from a mile away and just blows the axe guy's head off.

None of the Asguard wank that was given to the Odyssey really goes to changing the situation either. The axe guy just basically got a bigger even sharper axe but his core method of combat didn't change and therefore neither does the outcome of his fight with the sniper. The reason being he never lost the fight because his axe wasn't sharp enough. He lost because he wasn't prepared to deal with an adversary who could strike him a lethal blow from a distance like that and despite his new even better axe, he still isn't.

He won't be able to compete with the sniper until he changes his tactics, throws away the axe and gets a rifle of his own.

Not a perfect example because the rifle is uptech of the axe but if you like replace the axe with a lightsaber. You get the idea. It was't so much mucht he tech of the rifle that caused the sniper to win, it was the way he fought that neutralized all the expert axe fighter's advantages.

It's the same situation here.

The Daedalus doesn't lose because its weapons can't hurt the Andromeda. It loses because its method of combat "get into visual range and shoot missiles" is vastly infearior to the Andromeda's method of combat "stay at a lightminute out or so and throw in missiles while evading any counter attack with a multi layered defence consisting of counter missiles, interceptor drones and fighters, laser point defence, anti gravity fields, hull armour and decentrilized systems."

Simply put Andromeda was actually designed to be an effective warship by the people who originally thought her up, then the battles in the show were written around her established capabilities (at least before the change in producers that ruined it). The Daedalus was likely desgined like most sci-fi ships are, more around ideas of what looked coolest on screen without giving much if any thought to how effective those tactics or a ship that works that way would actually be in a real life battle.

I hope that explained it a bit better.

Comment

would rail guns even harm the Andromeda at all?

tbh I reckan it would be like shooting a BB gun at a tank

Comment

Well, to practically have ANY sort of chance against the Andromeda, you'd have to meet the following criteria:
                • Ship must have real-time FTL sensors that is unaffected by passive or active jamming measures
                • Ship must be armed with direct-fire energy weapons with a total speed either matching or exceeding the speed of light (Tachyon comes to mind) OR indirect-fire weapons capable of tracking a target light-minutes to light-hours away regardless of jamming or stealth measures. Either weapon choice must be capable of significant damage and/or ignore armour (Something that interacts at the molecular level is a good starting point)
                • Shielding system with a MINIMUM power rating of 281.6 EW (Exawatts) or an armor that can withstand a similar level of energy
                • Onboard computer with the capability to track multiple (upwards of 1000) targets in real time, along with plotting projected paths and likely course diversions to high accuracy (95% MINIMUM), along with sufficient processing power and/or programming to ward of any attempted hacking attempt
                • Armor or shields capable of surviving a Supernova explosion at 1AU
                • Engine capable of at least 20G sustained acceleration (30-40G preferrable)
                • High-Power electronic countermeasures either working on active warhead jamming or passive targetting interference principles, with at least a 50% per-shot chance to deflect an incoming round
                • Cloaking system of some sort (Preferrably one that allows the ship to fire while cloaked, but we arent really picky at this point)
                • Some sort of directed gravity beam capable of producing localised time dilation effects at at least a 1:25 ratio around the targetted object
                • Gravity well generator (Optional)
                • Slipstream drive disruptor weapon (optional)
                • DEMP weapons (Optional, depending on the Andromeda's EMP shielding measures)

There are VERY FEW ships in any sort of sci-fi setting that come anywhere near that level of technology. I can only think of a few myself, and all of them are almost wholly dependent upon the use of gravity as a weapons system and defensive technology, or use alot of tachyonic weaponry. Daedalus, Odessey, Galactica, and even a Star destroyer would be hopelessly outmached against the Ascendant.

Comment

I agree

Andromeda is a hell of a ship

Comment

at blanc point range and focus on 1 piont it can

but andromeda guns and missils wont hurt the daedelus ether
                    the AP guns need massa to react and hitting on the shield of a daedelus class
                    wont do anything at all the same for the missile`s
                    sorry cant spell

Comment

Originally posted by Amb. Shepphard(ARC) View Post
                      The Daelulus has no subspace sensors.
                      It's interesting, but how do we know that?
                      It would explain a few things...
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Arania View Post
                        Well, to practically have ANY sort of chance against the Andromeda, you'd have to meet the following criteria:
                        • Ship must have real-time FTL sensors that is unaffected by passive or active jamming measures
                        • Ship must be armed with direct-fire energy weapons with a total speed either matching or exceeding the speed of light (Tachyon comes to mind) OR indirect-fire weapons capable of tracking a target light-minutes to light-hours away regardless of jamming or stealth measures. Either weapon choice must be capable of significant damage and/or ignore armour (Something that interacts at the molecular level is a good starting point)
                        • Shielding system with a MINIMUM power rating of 281.6 EW (Exawatts) or an armor that can withstand a similar level of energy
                        • Onboard computer with the capability to track multiple (upwards of 1000) targets in real time, along with plotting projected paths and likely course diversions to high accuracy (95% MINIMUM), along with sufficient processing power and/or programming to ward of any attempted hacking attempt
                        • Armor or shields capable of surviving a Supernova explosion at 1AU
                        • Engine capable of at least 20G sustained acceleration (30-40G preferrable)
                        • High-Power electronic countermeasures either working on active warhead jamming or passive targetting interference principles, with at least a 50% per-shot chance to deflect an incoming round
                        • Cloaking system of some sort (Preferrably one that allows the ship to fire while cloaked, but we arent really picky at this point)
                        • Some sort of directed gravity beam capable of producing localised time dilation effects at at least a 1:25 ratio around the targetted object
                        • Gravity well generator (Optional)
                        • Slipstream drive disruptor weapon (optional)
                        • DEMP weapons (Optional, depending on the Andromeda's EMP shielding measures)

There are VERY FEW ships in any sort of sci-fi setting that come anywhere near that level of technology. I can only think of a few myself, and all of them are almost wholly dependent upon the use of gravity as a weapons system and defensive technology, or use alot of tachyonic weaponry. Daedalus, Odessey, Galactica, and even a Star destroyer would be hopelessly outmached against the Ascendant.
                        Fortunately, the Odyssey of late has been so nicely wanked up that it could accelerate time around itself at a rate of 50 years for a fraction of a second outside.
                        If the SG writers had really thought about that, it would mean that the Odyssey can literally circle around a target trillions of times before said target could even travel across 1 meter.

Then come the double supernova ZPM powering latest level asgard shields and weapons, plus other whatnots like hyperdrive and sensors...

Then beaming tech, of course, and possibly even those beam that eat matter. Though jamming could be effective here.

That is, since asgard beams can teleport people and ZPMs, in theory, it's easy to store a ZPM's blueprint and recreate it. You just need the right elements.

Oh... pff... this ship could literally own a complete galaxy with a bit of "smart".
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                          Andromeda has enough nova bombs to blow up 40 suns, and she can mount them on her FTL capable fighters.

What do you think?

Yes, I doubt poor Adama would even know he was under attack before it got him. Their dradis might not even detect Andromeda through her passive stealth measures.

You could probably take every ship in the BSG show from both sides, stick them in a massive fleet together and the Andromeda would still kill them all in a matter of minutes.

I'm serious, it really is that superior.

It could probably do something not to dissimilar to a stargate fleet. Some of the gate ships have weapons that could potentially damage it but they'll never ever hit it with those slow moving blobs they fire, not a chance in hell.

To Andromeda point blank knife fight range is considered to be 4 light seconds, the range where it's AP canons are useful. Normal combat ranges are typically light minutes. Nothing in gate or BSG can even come close to touching that.
                          i bet an ancient warship could whip some andromeda butt, but i would have to say andromeda would beat dedalus. Im not sure if it could beat oddesey considering its upgraded weaponry and sheilds can take on the ori ships now. An ancient battleship hands down would crush Andromeda. Drones are made to avoid anti-missile weapons. (look how the orion's drones dodged the wraith darts as it tried to intercept them.)
                          sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Drones travel incredible slowly in comparison to an Andromeda missile

We don't know if drones can be intercepted

Drones would likely not even have the speed to keep up with the Andromeda travelling at 70 psl.

Comment

I dont think any stargate ships are designed to fight at the distances Andromeda fights at

and even at point blank range I still consider Andromeda having a high chance of winning

Infact I even think Andromeda can repair itself due to it having repair androids and nanobotic repair systems

Also its far better looking than any other Sci fi ship I have ever seen it is a work of art

And even if you breach its hull and kill all the crew it will just carry on since the ship has a sentient AI

Comment

Pretty much. It takes a fist sized missile moving at .95c to penetrate the armour its got. The Daedalus railgun slugs aren't only slower, they're probably also smaller.

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                                Oh... pff... this ship could literally own a complete galaxy with a bit of "smart".
                                Good thing that's about the only thing the cheat code doesn't unlock huh.

Captain: All hands, prepare to sit still and fire at that thing 100 feet away!

To be fair though they have apparently moved up to "flying around erratically while firing at that thing 100 feet away" more recently.

Originally posted by Amann View Post
                                i bet an ancient warship could whip some andromeda butt, but i would have to say andromeda would beat dedalus. Im not sure if it could beat oddesey considering its upgraded weaponry and sheilds can take on the ori ships now. An ancient battleship hands down would crush Andromeda. Drones are made to avoid anti-missile weapons. (look how the orion's drones dodged the wraith darts as it tried to intercept them.)
                                Nope, it would die just as fast as the Daedalus for all the same reasons i already went over.

The ancients might see rommie coming on their fancy sensors in time to say something really arrogant before they all get blasted into atoms though. so i guess that puts them one up over the other contenders.

I dont think any stargate ships are designed to fight at the distances Andromeda fights at
                                That's pretty much it.

Range
                                Speed/Evasion
                                Tactics
                                Stealth
                                ECM

These are all things the stargate universe doesn't even seem to bother with while real life warships and the Andromeda do.

That's why it stomps so much ass. The synergy of tactics and design that went into it is just more than the ships of any "shoot glowy **** at each other until someone blows up" type universe can handle.

Comment

Working...
                                X