The attack on Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
    Okay there's something that's been said a few times here that's bugging me. The alliance firing/attacking the "unstable" planet that Icarus was on did NOT cause the planet to explode. Dialing Destiny is what caused the nuclear reaction in the planet's core, NOT the attack. Also, when the Alliance dialed Destiny, they blew THEIR planet up from dialing... the Earth attack did not cause the explosion.
    Both wrong and right.

Dialling Destiny and the attack is what caused Icarus to explode. The core was already destabilizing per the dialogue when Rush dialled Destiny. It was his entire reason for dialling in the first place. The Lucian Alliance planet exploded because Rush did not have time to set up the power transfer properly, so it created an instability that blew up the planet.

Comment

Okay there's something that's been said a few times here that's bugging me. The alliance firing/attacking the "unstable" planet that Icarus was on did NOT cause the planet to explode. Dialing Destiny is what caused the nuclear reaction in the planet's core, NOT the attack. Also, when the Alliance dialed Destiny, they blew THEIR planet up from dialing... the Earth attack did not cause the explosion.
      before Rush dialed the 9th chevron he came up and said

RUSH: If this bombardment continues, the radioactive core's gonna go critical.

WALLACE: Y-you mean the planet –- it's gonna explode?

RUSH: Yes.

and then later when Eli told Young that Rush dialed the 9th chevron

WALLACE: Here. He didn't dial Earth. It's the nine chevron address.

YOUNG: What?!

(He walks towards Rush who finally reacts to his presence.)

RUSH: The attack started a chain reaction in the planet's core. There's no way of stopping that, and any blast could easily translate through an open wormhole. It's too dangerous to dial Earth.

the reason it went critical for the LA members is because they dialed before Rush finished calibrating the math to that planets properties...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire_Jade View Post
        before Rush dialed the 9th chevron he came up and said

WALLACE: Y-you mean the planet –- it's gonna explode?

RUSH: Yes.

and then later when Eli told Young that Rush dialed the 9th chevron

WALLACE: Here. He didn't dial Earth. It's the nine chevron address.

YOUNG: What?!

(He walks towards Rush who finally reacts to his presence.)

RUSH: The attack started a chain reaction in the planet's core. There's no way of stopping that, and any blast could easily translate through an open wormhole. It's too dangerous to dial Earth.

the reason it went critical for the LA members is because they dialed before Rush finished calibrating the math to that planets properties...
        And.... you guys still believe ANYTHING that Rush said in the beginning of all this..?

Comment

And.... you guys still believe ANYTHING that Rush said in the beginning of all this..?
          RILEY: Doctor Rush? I'm reading a dangerous energy spike in the core.

I believe Riley.

Comment

The planet is made up of naquadria deposits and we know it's highly unstable so firing on it would not be a very smart thing to do..

and true Rush hasn't been very truthful, but they almost had a successful dialing before and the only reason (that I got out of it) that it didn't work is because the address was wrong.. the power didn't start spiking until after the final chevron didn't lock and it was trying to draw power to make a lock that it couldn't..
            RILEY: Chevron six locked. Chevron seven encoded. ... Chevron seven locked. Chevron eight encoded. ... Chevron eight locked. Chevron nine encoded.

(As the Gate spins on, the base begins to shake, and lightning sparks down from the capacitors suspended over the top of the Gate.)

WALLACE (nervously): Wh-what's going on?

SCOTT: I don't know. We never got this far before.

RILEY: Chevron nine ...

(He watches as the Gate continues to spin.)

RILEY: Chevron nine ... will not lock.

(An alarm sounds on the computer as Colonel Telford turns towards Riley's console in concern. Rush hurries over there.)

RUSH: We matched the power requirements down to the E.M.U. It must work.

RILEY: Power levels in the Gate capacitors are going into the red.

They had a non problematic dialing up until after the 9th chevron wouldn't lock.. the gate was pulling in more power to try to get it to lock, but couldn't because it wasn't the right address and that's what was bringing it into the red..
            Last edited by Sapphire_Jade; 18 November 2010, 08:20 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by norph View Post
              I was wondering if Atlantis is still in on Earth? One thing I just thought of was that the Atlantis probably had very advance scanners (even had very long range scanners that can detect hive ships across the galaxy) and the ancients have cloaking technology. It makes sense that the ancients probably have some form of anti-cloaking scanners so Atlantis may be able to detect a cloaked transport.
              An interesting idea, but if that were the case, they would have used it when the Alliance were meeting Telford on Earth near the end of Season 1.

Comment

- Why are we assuming Atlantis is still on earth?
                - Why are we assuming that Daedalus and Apollo will be near earth. After all they were primarily exploring Pegasus and taking supplies back and forth?
                - Why are we assuming that the Chinese ship is going to be on earth when the attack happens after all they don't have a Stargate the off-world allies, the knowledge. The United States does?

I understand the panic, given that the LA were able to come and go undetected for years.

Comment

Originally posted by actuallyliam View Post
                  - Why are we assuming Atlantis is still on earth?
                  - Why are we assuming that Daedalus and Apollo will be near earth. After all they were primarily exploring Pegasus and taking supplies back and forth?
                  - Why are we assuming that the Chinese ship is going to be on earth when the attack happens after all they don't have a Stargate the off-world allies, the knowledge. The United States does?

I understand the panic, given that the LA were able to come and go undetected for years.
                  Because we still don't know the real fate of Atlantis. EDIT: I mean where it really is.
                  Last edited by Steelbox; 19 November 2010, 04:43 AM.
                  sigpic
                  - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

And dang, I didn't realize how many ways the little old Lucian Alliance could wipe out all life on Earth. Space gangs really are scary. But I definitely agree that SG1 or someone would once again single-handedly defeat their forces right before they could do any of this stuff, hehe.

i'll call crazy tom for you and he'll explain how -realistically- there are even more methods to defeat earth so hard it's not funny. and how you can defeat the 304's in a straight out fight. believe me, it's terrifying.

I would have a geekgasm if we saw a fleet of Al'kesh bombing major cities! Kinda like the Al'kesh flyby we say in Continuum, but with energy blasts!

I think the 'cloaked ship with nukes' route is the most obvious and potentially effective. What I'd love to see is the LA send a device through the Stargate using the IDC of another SGC member they've brainwashed, a device that takes out our stargate, the SGC and much of the surrounding area... THEN the Al'kesh start bombing!

I couldn't bear it if the LA damaged Atlantis
                    i've been theorising that an LHC, with stargate technology incorporated, shouldn't just be able to burn through the stargate, but as a result, there would be pretty much a big x-ray flash + tons of radiation coming straight through it.

the shield, well no idea how atlantis' shield stands against radiation, but some sustained beam will draw significant power. or the shield will leak energy.

They failed. Spectacularly.

i think they didn't expect earth to successfully dial.

i think this was the LA's actual plan:

-bombard the planet, and destroy/damage the facility so the 9th chevron can't be dialed anytime soon.

-send in troop to try and capture it/ the remains. or to ensure the facility is actually down.

i don't think the whole planet blowing up aspect was intended.

The planet is made up of naquadria deposits and we know it's highly unstable so firing on it would not be a very smart thing to do..
                    the core was made of naquahdriah. the worst case scenario for the LA was probably a small nuclear explosion. however by tapping into the core's power for a 9th chevron dial, this little bang became a big bang.

realistically, going critical is what you WANT. when the core is critical, the chain reaction is stable. subcritical=reaction is dying out, supercritical=spiralling out of control.

logic dictates that, should Rush have dialled anywhere in the Milkyway, that spike wouldn't have been so massive. earth flees, the LA stops the bombardment, the core goes subcritical and the planet is theirs.
                    Last edited by thekillman; 19 November 2010, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Spoiler:
                      We find out about Atlantis in the crossover episode.
                      McKay and Woolsey are in the crossover episode and it was said that the episode is about them doing stuff in the Milky Way to help the people on Destiny.
                      Also, they dismantled the SGC set.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the events of EatG nearly depleted the ZPM's on Atlantis, which would make it impossible for them to take Atlantis back to Pegasus. Why would they want to anyways?

It hasn't been stated specifically, but all this info points towards Atlantis staying on Earth.

Comment

IIRC at the end, they said the drain was not as bad as they initially thought... more that it taxed the systems (kind of like having too much drain on a battery, so it starts dying out, but when the drain is gone the battery kicks back to life...

Comment

The core of the Icarus planet couldnt have been Naquadriah, for the simple reasons of Stargate SG-1 season 8, under heat and pressure Naquadriah will explode, Langara had this problem with a Naquadriah deposit which only reached down 80km iirc.

Now compare the heat and pressure of the crust (close to the Moho. Discont.) to the heat and pressures INSIDE and actual core - that couldnt scientifically exist. period.

Icarus planet was unique in some-way or another as was stated, the way the LA came to Destiny is pure swill in my eyes, a planet laced with Naquadriah, the most powerful element we know off, rare as hell, yet a whole planet of the stuff?

Oh, and Naquadriah doesnt exist in nature, Thenos created the first Langaran Naquadriah.

Which brings us to the Goa'uld. Taking into account the Goa'ulds tendency to dominate and control, and have massive empires to make up for a lack of something in another area, that they wouldnt have found the LA Naquadriah planet?

Granted, the Goa'uld were blighted by short-sightedness and not the exploratative type, but come on, many Goa'uld's throughout the 2,000 years of their dominance, and beyond through times we dont know off, were flying around the galaxy. Now, you mean to tell me, that the cast of Braveheart, in space, found, potentially, the most powerful planet in the known universe, in a matter of months, quite possibly close to former Goa'uld space, and not a single Goa'uld, like Anubis for example, never found it?

The sensor readings would have shown the fluctuations in the unstable Naquadriah from fair distance i would say, the Goa'uld only wanted more power, so a planet full of Naquadriah would have been there answer to dominance of the other Goa'uld.

Besides, there was a pyramid on that planet - so the Goa'uld must have known about it, but not done anything with it??

I accept the Naquadriah planet as a plot device for getting the LA aboard Destiny, i honestly do, but to try and feed us the scientific crap about Naquadriah - when its been previously stated that Naquadriah was pretty much indigenous to Langara and only because thats where Thenos created it.

[/RANT]

N.C

Comment

I'm pretty sure the 304's can detect the cloaked ships, also they all have Asgard tech, i find it hard to beleive that the Asgard cannot see through the Goa'uld/Lucian Alliance cloaked ships. After all Anubis could on many occasions. I honestly don't see how the LA can pull off an attack going up against:

Hammond.
                            Apollo.
                            Sun Tzu.
                            Daedalus.
                            Odyssey.
                            And maybe Atlantis?
                            They wouldn't have a chance!

Comment

Originally posted by daedalus91 View Post
                              I'm pretty sure the 304's can detect the cloaked ships, also they all have Asgard tech, i find it hard to beleive that the Asgard cannot see through the Goa'uld/Lucian Alliance cloaked ships. After all Anubis could on many occasions. I honestly don't see how the LA can pull off an attack going up against:

Hammond.
                              Apollo.
                              Sun Tzu.
                              Daedalus.
                              Odyssey.
                              And maybe Atlantis?
                              They wouldn't have a chance!
                              We never have been able to see through cloaks before I don't see how that would chane
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

I still do not understand why the LA would bother attacking earth. Despite any grudges that they may have, what is there to gain? A frontal assault on earth would cost them a sizable portion of their fleet, causing whatever clans that were involved in the attack to lose grip on their own territories, likely to clans not committed to the attack. Even terrorist style attacks would only serve to unite and militarize earth. In order for either of those plans to succeed, they would have to destroy earth entirely. The risk of losing much of their fleet and/or starting a chain of events that would make knowledge of the rest of the universe apparent to the general public of earth seems hardly worth it. So what could they possibly have to gain that would be of such vital importance to warrant the attack in the first place? It really doesn't make sense. If they didn't attack, then what? They still control their portions of the galaxy and only have to deal with earth "meddling" in their affairs. The best thing the LA could do is stay far away from earth.

Comment

Working...
                                X