The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
    just a tip for watching "classic shows" stop watching them , just ignore them completely, I know we all love the shows, but after a while there comes a time when you would rather drill a hole in your head than watch another scifi show, or drama, or... you see where this is going, any way, just don't do it, watch something that you would NEVER watch, for me it was westerns, then came rom coms, the horror, ect,
    The path to other shows can be strange. I rather liked ABC's one and done "Forever". a few years back. The female lead in this was Alana de la Garza. Her role was a cop. Once the show finished its only season, I wondered what else Alana had been in, and I found that she was in the last 3 years of the original "Law & Order" as an assisting prosecuting attorney. This show is in syndication on OTA TV nowadays. So, I tagged that for recording. After a few months, I had the whole series recorded... So I started watching that. Which led me to Law & Order special victims unit. So I tagged SVU for recording, and watched the original series. Which I rather liked.
    Then I started watching SVU. It's a good series, good stories, but I really hate the lead female character here, Olivia Benson.
    So, I'll keep the original Law & Order, but SVU got deleted after I was done.

Out of the two outside the box series, a 50% keeper rate. Oh, and I'm not generally a fan of police procedurals.

And don't be so quick to write off the classics. Old WWII films like "The Enemy Below" or "Midway(1977? version)" or "In Harm's Way" are really good. Not Sci Fi, but a lot of elements in common.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Might I suggest "Balance of Terror" & "The Doomsday Machine"?
      Specifically, watch "The Enemy Below" (1957), a classic WWII Submarine warfare film right before "Balance of Terror".
      If she is at the end of S2 then one would assume she has already seen those episodes. I imagine she will really hate S3.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        If she is at the end of S2 then one would assume she has already seen those episodes. I imagine she will really hate S3.
        Have you ever seen "The Enemy Below"? Take a look at that. And pay particular attention to the credits.

Comment

That's irrelevant
          Jelgate is right

Comment

And don't be so quick to write off the classics. Old WWII films like "The Enemy Below" or "Midway(1977? version)" or "In Harm's Way" are really good. Not Sci Fi, but a lot of elements in common.
            yeah, I know, I have midway on dvd and recorded the other 2 from tcm, they show classic movies COMPLETE no commercials or editing, all the swearing and nudity, not very often for both, is there.

I would also suggest on the beach-1960's version, there was a remake, but I think that one is best, it is scifi, so it is up to you.

and lilies of the field and mrs miniver, two great classic movies.
            Last edited by epg20; 04 April 2020, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Pfft. When I get fat enough to pop the buttons on a pair of pants, it's time for new pants. Weight really doesn't go down at my age.

Maybe I ought to try to learn how to use that thing.
              One of my dogs likes to rip buttons off of shirts and sweaters. She's a year old and she's basically a toddler with fangs on steroids. She did this last week, I was laughing so hard I couldn't even be mad at her for it.

20200318_183449.jpg

She ate more than half the jar.
              sigpic

Comment

First, a bit about filtration.
                . . .
                March first, the CDC announced that people shouldn't wear masks, they were ineffective. That was obvious BS to everyone who heard it.
                Now, a month later, they're telling us the masks are indeed effective, and in fact essential. And they're telling us to hand make using whatever materials we can get, even if it's just an old t-shirt.

So, in effect
                No, don't use these effective masks, you don't need 'em, they don't work anyway.
                Ooops. We actually need those masks.
                Go use this Rube Goldberg contraption which likely will be useless.

Something don't smell right there.
                Came across some interesting postings elsewhere about this COVID19 bug. Some people who were discussing it, believed they already HAD it back in December 2019, in the USA. Problem ... every person who discussed this, thinking that they HAD the virus were also in different parts of the USA... I mean, WIDESPREAD area. Had some nasty symptoms for a few days, then got better, then bang! Got 2nd wave of it about a week later. Took a month or more to recover (at least from the dry coughing spells).

If this is TRUE -- back then -- NO ONE was wearing a mask, NOR gloves, and some people were being treated with a double antibiotic or Z-pack from some viral *bug* with a DRY COUGH that wouldn't quit.

I was one of those people. Symptoms eerily similar to COVID19. What I thought was strange was that the doctor who treated me, didn't even really look at my throat that long, because I swallowed almost immediately, and ended up DRY coughing right in front of him. He had NO gloves nor mask on either, then. Got immediately sent for chest X-ray (that same night), and told nothing significant showed up (then).

Shortness of breath... well, yeah... seemed obvious that most of the chest pains were from coughing too much (I mean, at 20 minute, non-stop sessions and yah couldn't stop coughing long enough to breathe). Stomach hurt from the super strong medicine I was prescribed...EAT food with... so I did, and it minimalized the discomfort. Took me about 45 days before I fully stopped coughing. Diagnosis listed some sort of bronchitis that just bloomed within a few days of starting out like a cold and typical, scratchy sore throat... that almost went into pneumonia had I not gotten on the antibiotics.

So, ever since we've been on this "shelter in place" order, I couldn't stop thinking about the December-2019 viral bug, cold-like thing that hit me in the way it did. I increased my Vitamin C, ZINC (chelated), D3, selenium, and magnesium oxide. The (increased) zinc helped dry up my sinuses. Added pineapple juice daily to break up whatever was in the chest, which sort of helped. Nyquil at night with Vicks Vapo-rub under my nose. Tastes were a bit off, but not so horrible that I lost all sense of potent smells.

The discussion I came across mentioned that there were visiting (Chinese) students in our area... close to NYC airport hubs... yeah, okay...maybe that makes sense. Maybe they *had* the COVID-19 bug and were passing it on to other people via breathing... I do know that 2 other people, my coworkers... whom one traveled, had this same nasty DRY cough back in November 2019. The day he stopped coughing a month later, I started... weird... I figured it took that long to wrap itself around our building.

As for touch... those of us who had the *bug* hugged each other, but didn't breathe on each other, as it happened during the Christmas holiday season. Plus, most of us were already sick.. some even were hospitalized, because it was so severe.

And if * *that* WAS the same COVID-19 virus (perhaps a milder? mutation of it), then WHY are we under restricted quarantine NOW ...being forced to wear masks and wear gloves...treating everything we touch outside our home, as if harboring the contaminated virus...? I could easily see if *that* is the situation, then yes, there might be a bigger issue going on with the lock-downs and potential future forced vaccinations. If people who were exposed to whatever was going around in December 2019 were only concerned about getting "sick" for a few days, but are NOW terrified and seriously *paranoid* of this labelled virus bug AND their neighbors or coworkers, what makes what happened in December any different than March and April 2020 in the USA?

If the severe viral bug from December 2019 (across the USA) is the same as this COVID19 now,
                then yeah... something don't smell quite right... only difference is the testing for COVID19. People who *may* have had it, are now negative, because they developed some sort of immunity to it... (??) or else are practicing very good, health cleaning habits... Unfortunately, pollen's allergy season is also swinging into full mode, now... so anyone coughing or sneezing is getting stared at -- as IF they are contaminated with the COVID19 bug.
                Last edited by SGalisa; 04 April 2020, 09:55 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                  I also still live in the house I grew up in, I inherited it after my mother died, my grandmother used to live in the house too and I still have one of her old sewing machines. I don't really know how to use a sewing machine though (I was never allowed to use one as a kid and then I had no interest in learning to use one when I got older), I can only sew a little by hand. Sewing buttons back on isn't hard at all.
                  Mrs GF basically was the entire costume crew designer and sewer for the high school musicals for 5 years, she does cross stitch and knitting, so we got it covered
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                    Came across some interesting postings elsewhere about this COVID19 bug. Some people who were discussing it, believed they already HAD it back in December 2019, in the USA. Problem ... every person who discussed this, thinking that they HAD the virus were also in different parts of the USA... I mean, WIDESPREAD area. Had some nasty symptoms for a few days, then got better, then bang! Got 2nd wave of it about a week later. Took a month or more to recover (at least from the dry coughing spells).

(
                    We had the same where I live in the UK.
                    The university in the town I live in has a high number of students (several thousand) from the far east arrive each October. My job brings me into close contact with them and I and a number of my workmates went down with something that bore a striking resemblance to Covid - 19 a couple of weeks after the uni opened for the winter term.
                    sigpic

Comment

And in news on the retail front, we are starting to get pallets of sugar, flour, TP, pasta (and sauce), paper towel, bleach, disinfectant wipes and other preventative "retail" supplies. The meat cases are getting fuller, the aisles are getting back to some sense of normality as well.
                      However, as of tomorrow, my chain of stores (well, the one I work for) are limiting the amount of customers allowed in the store at any one time (200). As most people are only coming out when they need to, it should not be a major issue where I am working now.
                      Everyone, stay the FK at home if you don't need to go out and stay safe. No matter how much I argue, shout and swear at some of you sometimes, again, we are family and this is not going away in a few weeks, it's going to be months.
                      Stay safe, be kind.
                      sigpic

Comment

And in other options here (given the times)
                        Another link that breaks the rules.
                        I hope you guys like cricket, or at least understand it (I am sure the Pommie gits get it )
                        Even if you do not understand cricket, it works. You might not get the nuance but you should get the form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz80...bbtG5rIF-5OcyU

Take care, stay safe and don't forget to laugh or cry when you need to.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          That's irrelevant
                          Says the guy that can't know what I'm talking about because he hasn't seen the movie in question.

Comment

That's a faulty assumption that is even more irrelevant to FH liking TOS
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                              It was OK....just didn't like how they kept nerfing the ability of humans to think outside the box

I mean...so the Scimitar's cloaking device could resist most forms of advanced sensor trickery...so I don't know why they didn't try less advanced forms...such as finding the exhaust like they did in "The Undiscovered Country" to defeat the BoP that could fire when cloaked

Or heck....it was evident that the Enterprise and their Romulan allies were hitting something solid with their weaponry.....they couldn't find a way to scatter the proverbial flour and have it stick to the Scimitar and light it up like a Christmas tree?

It might've been a bit more of an even fight then because even if the stealth of the Scimitar got defeated there's still the fact that it was built tough enough to hold its own against entire fleets of Dominion ships given how many disruptor banks and torpedo launchers it had and how much shielding it had.

I also didn't like how "Roddenberry's vision" as it's been called made the concept of the Federation having purpose-built combat vessels at all some sort of bad thing and had it be strictly exploratory vessels for Starfleet with shields and weapons enough to take care of ordinary pirates (and the largely poorly engineered Cardassian ships) but have zero chance of surviving a protracted combat situation against a more intractable enemy...that's why the Federation kept getting its backside kicked in almost every wartime scenario until their "better equipped for wartime" allies come to their aid

I say Adm. Leyton in DS9 "Paradise Lost" had the right idea.....the fleet was in serious need of an upgrade to its wartime combat capabilities....just didn't like how Leyton wound up going about it (the whole coup d'etat thing)
                              I need to re-watch it to go into detail about what I didn't like about it. I think most of my issues were plot related, not character related. Character inconsistencies tend to bother me more than technical or plot issues. I remember liking the character stuff in the movie and the overall feel ( like I found it interesting enough to keep me invested).
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                                I'm very adept at pricking my own fingers with sewing needles
                                I do that sometimes too lol

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                                Mrs GF basically was the entire costume crew designer and sewer for the high school musicals for 5 years, she does cross stitch and knitting, so we got it covered
                                That's really cool. Sewing is a handy skill to have. My mom tried to teach me to knit a couple of times, I was so lost. When I was little, my other grandmother in Italy would send me dresses she had knit and crochet/knit blankets (and I still have them). They were really pretty and I always wished I could do something like, but I just don't have the skill or the patience to learn.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X