The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    It was facemask galore this weekend for me, and I'm getting better and better at wearing it. I even managed to wear one for almost an hour without my glasses getting all fogged up even once.

I do still need practice since today I unfortunately failed at the not-fogging once more.
    what you need is anti fogging spray for glasses:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=anti+fog+...nb_sb_ss_i_5_3

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      I think fogging is extremely dependent upon ambient temperature / humidity levels. In a properly air conditioned environment, it's not a problem. But very few places push the temperature down into the low 60's range.
      It was in the same place, same environment on 2 different days.

A house for sale on the market... might be ours if we can get a loan from the bank for it.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

A house for sale on the market... might be ours if we can get a loan from the bank for it.
        Good luck

Comment

Good luck
          Thanks.

Also, more covid-related... we have a website, since last week, where we can track infections per city in Belgium (in English).
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thanks.

Also, more covid-related... we have a website, since last week, where we can track infections per city in Belgium (in English).
            Well, if we've decided to never let you back out again, it would be nice if you had a home.

Yeah, they have maps of that sort on some sites here, but they do it by states, I think. I haven't paid much attention to them since the reported numbers are distorted for financial gain over here.

There is an example of one down the right side of this site: https://www.foxnews.com/category/hea...se/coronavirus

On the same site, there are several other articles illustrating just how stupid we have been in re-opening. The virus may be mutating into a more easily transmitted form, for example.

Our leaders should have been smart enough to predict that the second they made it possible, the young & foolish (Can that be made into a soap opera?) would go right back into the bars, clubs and other disease-spreading venues and kick up a new outbreak.
            Last edited by Annoyed; 30 June 2020, 04:46 AM.

Comment

meh....home ownership ain't all it's cracked up to be

don't know how it works over there but here in the states for a stand-alone house you got property taxes, homeowner's liability insurance (required to have, other property insurance might be required depending on where your house is too, such as flood insurance in flood-prone areas), and then you have to also spend money to pay contractors to maintain and/or upgrade the house

with owning a condo it's not as bad because you pay a fee to the homeowner's association that oversees the complex in which you own a condo and using the fee you pay every month they take care of snow removal, landscaping, and most of the major stuff on the building itself such as electrical work and plumbing (obviously keeping your condo neat and tidy would still be your responsibility)

but yeah these days a lot of young people can't really afford even condo ownership due to crippling student loan debt. A lot of this debt was incurred thinking they'd get a job with decent enough pay that they could afford to pay it all back over time and still afford marriage and kids and house and stuff like that but we learned that's not the case most of the time

Comment

Well, if we've decided to never let you back out again, it would be nice if you had a home.

Yeah, they have maps of that sort on some sites here, but they do it by states, I think. I haven't paid much attention to them since the reported numbers are distorted for financial gain over here.

There is an example of one down the right side of this site: https://www.foxnews.com/category/hea...se/coronavirus

On the same site, there are several other articles illustrating just how stupid we have been in re-opening. The virus may be mutating into a more easily transmitted form, for example.

Our leaders should have been smart enough to predict that the second they made it possible, the young & foolish (Can that be made into a soap opera?) would go right back into the bars, clubs and other disease-spreading venues and kick up a new outbreak.
                wouldn't surprise me if mosquitoes become a new vector for transmission too...and I don't think there's gonna be much you can do once that happens....yeah there's bug repellent but a lot of those, esp. the all-natural ones that many people in government are likely to encourage the use of (since going all-natural is the "in thing" now), aren't very good at repelling bugs

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                  wouldn't surprise me if mosquitoes become a new vector for transmission too...and I don't think there's gonna be much you can do once that happens....yeah there's bug repellent but a lot of those, esp. the all-natural ones that many people in government are likely to encourage the use of (since going all-natural is the "in thing" now), aren't very good at repelling bugs
                  This is all from my aging memory, but the govt. tried to ban repellents with DEET in them a few decades back, but were rather quickly forced to reconsider and rescind the ban shortly thereafter when the deer tick problem arose, spreading Lyme disease. As of now, I think "Deep Woods Off" still has DEET in it. Last time I needed such, it was an effective product.

Comment

but yeah these days a lot of young people can't really afford even condo ownership due to crippling student loan debt. A lot of this debt was incurred thinking they'd get a job with decent enough pay that they could afford to pay it all back over time and still afford marriage and kids and house and stuff like that but we learned that's not the case most of the time
                    To me, Condos have always been right about on the same level as leasing cars as opposed to buying them on the intelligent use of money scale. With cars, it's "make payments for X years and then give the car back", and with condos it's like buying an apartment. None of the benefits of home ownership and many added costs; homeowners association & maintenance fees (and controls) being the primary sticking points. Yeah, I'm not giving a blank check to anyone.

As far as the student loans, well, they signed on the dotted line as adults. Bad decisions have consequences. No one held a gun to their heads.

Comment

To me, Condos have always been right about on the same level as leasing cars as opposed to buying them on the intelligent use of money scale. With cars, it's "make payments for X years and then give the car back", and with condos it's like buying an apartment. None of the benefits of home ownership and many added costs; homeowners association & maintenance fees (and controls) being the primary sticking points. Yeah, I'm not giving a blank check to anyone.

As far as the student loans, well, they signed on the dotted line as adults. Bad decisions have consequences. No one held a gun to their heads.
                      you are actually buying the condo (or your portion of it really) because you have to take out a mortgage to buy it and when you want to move you sell it like you would a house....and I would imagine that the homeowner's association/maintenance fees are a lot cheaper than hiring a contractor yourself to do any of the major work that needs doing

only drawbacks I could see might be lack of storage....in other words condos probably aren't likely to have full-size basements or attics (basements or attics you can actually stand up and walk around in as opposed to crawling on your hands and knees to get around in.....like the basement and attic in the house me, my mom, and my sister live in....both crawlspaces) and I hear that for the most part you can do whatever you like to the interior of the condo unit, such as paint the walls for example...only parts of the interior that the homeowner's association might wind up having a beef with are those portions of the interior viewable from the outside...tends to come into play around Christmas time when the HA is "offended" by Christmas decorations you might want to put up in a window or by hanging the American flag inside a window, etc.....whereas the benefit of house ownership on that score is that you can tell any easily offended person to get lost if they try to make you take it down

Comment

This is all from my aging memory, but the govt. tried to ban repellents with DEET in them a few decades back, but were rather quickly forced to reconsider and rescind the ban shortly thereafter when the deer tick problem arose, spreading Lyme disease. As of now, I think "Deep Woods Off" still has DEET in it. Last time I needed such, it was an effective product.
                        I hear eating lots of garlic is supposed to work too....and would also have the benefit of keeping people away too

Comment

only parts of the interior that the homeowner's association might wind up having a beef with are those portions of the interior viewable from the outside...tends to come into play around Christmas time when the HA is "offended" by Christmas decorations you might want to put up in a window or by hanging the American flag inside a window, etc.....whereas the benefit of house ownership on that score is that you can tell any easily offended person to get lost if they try to make you take it down
                          That is the only acceptable solution to me. I will not allow anyone to dictate how I decorate my home. If I choose to put a Trump (or any other politician's) signs on my lawn, Christmas decorations or whatever up, that's my business and my business alone. If someone doesn't like it, too damned bad. They don't have to look. I actually had some yutz try to tell me to take Christmas lights down a few years back. Needless to say, they were met with a rather rude response when they pressed the issue.

At my prior job, I had the pleasure of speaking to a number of people restricted by homeowner's associations. As I gather it, the "rules" are capricious and extremely subject to change, depending upon who bitches. The same goes with the fees.

Comment

There is a funny - but sadly accurate I’m sure - Geico commercial at the moment about new home owners in a HOA. Cynthia nitpicks and nags, cuts down their mailbox, etc.

HOA’s may have had a good meaning in the beginning - seriously dude do not keep working on your 3 project cars in your drive way. But all too often are used for a handful to abuse and bully others. Get a ‘karen’ in charge and they make your life a living hades. With more rationale people it could simply mean ‘hey, get the trash out of your yard’ or ‘fix that falling down fence’. All in all I see HOAs as a refuge for bullies and snobs.
                            When I’m ready to move from this home to a condo or other type of smaller place I will avoid one unless its’ limited to maintenance only (pay a fee, clear my sidewalk, I’m cool with that)

I do what I want in my yard. I plant what I want and my only considerations are what I want to maintain, what works in my yard (I need mostly full sun flowers) and since I’m on a corner I’m aware of not blocking the line of sight for traffic.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              There is a funny - but sadly accurate I’m sure - Geico commercial at the moment about new home owners in a HOA. Cynthia nitpicks and nags, cuts down their mailbox, etc.

HOA’s may have had a good meaning in the beginning - seriously dude do not keep working on your 3 project cars in your drive way. But all too often are used for a handful to abuse and bully others. Get a ‘karen’ in charge and they make your life a living hades. With more rationale people it could simply mean ‘hey, get the trash out of your yard’ or ‘fix that falling down fence’. All in all I see HOAs as a refuge for bullies and snobs.
                              When I’m ready to move from this home to a condo or other type of smaller place I will avoid one unless its’ limited to maintenance only (pay a fee, clear my sidewalk, I’m cool with that)

I do what I want in my yard. I plant what I want and my only considerations are what I want to maintain, what works in my yard (I need mostly full sun flowers) and since I’m on a corner I’m aware of not blocking the line of sight for traffic.
                              That ad runs constantly around here. That lady with the chain saw had better not come around here or she's going to find that chainsaw protruding from where the sun don't shine. And I may not shut it off before inserting it.

Oh, and keep your mitts off my cars, too. I'm far too old for that kind of crap these days, and you can't do fun stuff like engine swaps anymore, 'cause the annual safety inspection is in reality an emissions inspection these days, but I've done more than my share of project cars in the past.

Comment

And back to CV again....

COVID-19: Study Shows Virus Can Infect Heart Cells in Lab Dish

Anyone else think we ought not to take chances with this till we know far more about it?

Comment

Working...
                                X