Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gate Alliance Treaty Organization (GATO)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i like the idea .. sounds like a winner... where do i sign up?
    SAVE SG-1
    www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.
    Say No To The Six Month Hiatus

Comment

It looks like a global NATO might be in the cards in real life, too.

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20060901faessay85509/ivo-daalder-james-goldgeier/global-nato.html
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

when reality touches fiction (or vice-versa?).
        but it looks like it's going to be GNATO!

Major Tyler, in what context did you initially thought of GATO? was it just a random constructive thought or was it to suggest the future of the TV show?

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
          Major Tyler, in what context did you initially thought of GATO? was it just a random constructive thought or was it to suggest the future of the TV show?
          It started out as an idea for a real global NATO-like alliance, but here I adapted it for the SG universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
            Thanks.

I'm getting my Master's degree in International Affairs, with concentrations in International Organizations and Alliance Studies, so I know quite a bit about these kinds of things. I'm such a nerd!
            Really? Cool.

I'm currently doing International Politics & Strategic Studies!

Just thought I'd share.

And generally... not a bad idea.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Thanks.

Where in England are you, FOB? I'm studying in Leuven, Belgium right now and I'm thinking of taking a trip to the motherland...maybe we can hang out.

Comment

Thanks.

Where in England are you, FOB? I'm studying in Leuven, Belgium right now and I'm thinking of taking a trip to the motherland...maybe we can hang out.
                Why not?

Well if you want to be specific in answering your question. I'm not.

That is to say...

I'm currently studying at Aberystwyth University, Wales. Though I AM English. :-p Not that... being Welsh would be bad or anything! *looks over shoulder, panicked*

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                  Why not?

Well if you want to be specific in answering your question. I'm not.

That is to say...

I'm currently studying at Aberystwyth University, Wales. Though I AM English. :-p Not that... being Welsh would be bad or anything! *looks over shoulder, panicked*
                  Haha. When I was in Amsterdam I hung out with a bunch of Welsh guys and they were a lot of fun. I gave one of the guys a funny look when he ask me to "knock him up" in the morning, because in the U.S. that means "impregnate." And of course they nearly snorted coffee up their collective noses when one of the American girls called her bag a "fanny pack."

Good times...

To stay on topic...uh...Wales is in NATO...yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                    funny! I studied in Cardiff. I almost went to Aberystwyth just because of its weird name and the beach.

For non natives, welsh language is so strange that I bet if SG1 do an episode in Wales, they wouldn't talk english, and Daniel would have to translate, if he can!

Hmm, this was off topic. Let me add a sentence to justify my post... Yes, Wales, being part of Great-Britain, which is part of the United Kingdom is therefore part of the NATO, and naturally of GATO. (which in welsh should be something like Trefniadaeth Cytundeb Cynghrair Porth ) correct me if i'm wrong.

Comment

I like the idea. If Earth is ever going to be united, it is going to have to do it some way or another. This sounds like a natural transition, and is indeed in close parallel to what seems to be happening in the real world. The fact is, that national security is becoming dependent upon global security. The security of America and Europe is dependent upon the security of the Mideast and the rest of the world. Currently the biggest obstacles to global security are Iran and North Korea. It would be helpful if all of NATO could speak with one voice, but being an international organization it is fractured by various interests. Namely national interests. This focus on national, rather than global concerns is a prevalent mindset all over the world. It will take a major event to force that focus to global concerns. The revelation of the Stargate might be enough to do that.

All that being said, even 'GATO' would only be a transitional stage to the formation of a global government, with the authority to enforce global security and law. As you said, NATO started out as a Military Alliance, but it has proven to be a strong political one as well. No doubt 'GATO' would do much the same thing. When dealing with alien worlds and governments, Earth would need to speak with one voice as much as possible. A global democracy would be the ultimate planetary end goal. Of course if colonies were established (and in a way they alread have... Alpha Site, Beta Site, Gamma Site, Atlantis, and other worlds) they would have to create an interplanetary government. 'Federation of Planets' anyone?

Speaking of Welsh... I'm American, but I have Welsh ancestory. Possibly even royal Welsh. My paternal family has historical connections with the Nanny family which was one of the royal families of Wales. There is no definitive connection, but there are coincidental and antedotal evidence which suggests that my family and the Nanny family are the one and the same. The name was possibly changed to avoid undue scrutiny upon arrival in Jamestown, Virginia in America in 1642. (I can trace my personal lineage back to c.1730) If that was the case, it was rather devious. They used a french word which means, "From England", while actually being welsh surrounded by a bunch of English guys. It is the same word from which the word "Yankee" comes from. Yankees being from 'New England' in the Northeast U.S. In any case, at this point I'm a genetic mutt..! I'm 1/3rd Cherokee, and have Scandanavian as well as various U.K. heritages. (Scottish, Irish, Welsh, English) Yeah, I know. Waaay too much information. ...and who cares? Sorry, it's the only 'Welsh' story I actually have.
                      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                      My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                      Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

It looks like a global NATO might be in the cards in real life, too.

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20060901faessay85509/ivo-daalder-james-goldgeier/global-nato.html
                        That's awesome. I've often said NATO is the key to global governance, I believe eventually it will replace the U.N. as the worlds primary arbiter for international disputes.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

We should call it the United Gateworld Alliance Treaty Organization. The acronym would be U-GA-TO. j/k (my brother made me write it)
                          *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                          *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                          *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                          *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                          *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                          *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                          *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                            That's awesome. I've often said NATO is the key to global governance, I believe eventually it will replace the U.N. as the worlds primary arbiter for international disputes.
                            I see NATO as more of a compliment to the UN, rather than a replacement. Those two organizations are very different. Where the UN has the most success is soft power pressure, diplomacy, international cooperation on non-controversial matters, humanitarian aid and human rights promotion, and, most importantly, granting legitimacy though its global mandate. Where the UN is woefully inadequate is collaborative military action and coersive power.

While NATO certainly does engage in the areas where the UN is strong, since they (currently) lack a global mandate, they are still limited in those capacities. As a military alliance, though, they are far more competant at military action.

I envision that the UN can act as the initial arbitor, but if military action is ultimately required, they can authorize NATO to act in their stead (as the did in the Kosovo crisis). Even if the UN Security Council could not agree on military sanctions, the beauty of keeping NATO indepentant means that they aren't held hostage by the UNSC veto. Rogue states like North Korea aren't particularly afraid of UN military action, but if they knew NATO was prepared to take up the sword instead, it might give them pause.

I don't think we should entertain the idea of replacing the UN with anything other than a "better" or "reformed" UN. NATO was not meant to have the same scope as the UN and would not have the foundation to take on all of the projects of the UN system. Let NATO focus on military concerns and not distract them with other global issues that the UN is perfectly capable of dealing with now.

Comment

I have to do it......I can't resist.

El gato es muy gordo. No me gusta el gato. El gato es blanko. El gato de Chulak. El gato con queso. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, I dunno. It seems any international organization is doomed to be a limp noodle. I'm not really impressed with the United Nations or NATO right now. They both seem like pansies who can't get anything done. So, I'm not so sure the I.O.A. or some other international organization would be worth it. International organizations always seem to think they are smarter than the experts. Several of the IOA member nations seem to always have alterior motives. China seems to be more of a threat to the SG program than any help to it.

My only real hangup is, the US operated the SG program for 7 years on it's own. We are clearly the best suited to run it. As such, the IOA should take the US military's opinions a lot more seriously than it does. Hey, even Thor prefers the US military in charge of things. If the SG program went completely international, you couldn't keep it a secret anymore. I say, at the most, keep it the way it is now. When the SG program goes public, then making it more international is different. But the Gate itself must always stay in US hands. It's too likely to be abused and mismanaged in international hands, not to mention, nothing would get done. Nations would be fighting to be the "lead" nation as a matter of pride rather than capability and who would be best at it.

This is just my opinion.
                              Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
                              Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla View Post
                                It seems any international organization is doomed to be a limp noodle. I'm not really impressed with the United Nations or NATO right now. They both seem like pansies who can't get anything done.
                                What is your basis for this opinion? Are you well-versed in NATO and UN operations, or do you just know about the few failures that seem to be the only thing that makes the news?

Comment

Working...
                                X