Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Song of Ice and Fire appreciation/discussion thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Song of Ice and Fire is my favourite epic fantasy series. I find it more interesting than most of the other series in this sub genre of fantasy, because there is no clear cut line between good and evil. It is more about actions and consequences, none of the characters are pure good or evil. This is why i like this series more then for instance WoT, where there is an purely evil force that the obvious good guys have to defeat.

My favourite POV's are Jaime and Jon.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
      A Song of Ice and Fire is my favourite epic fantasy series. I find it more interesting than most of the other series in this sub genre of fantasy, because there is no clear cut line between good and evil. It is more about actions and consequences, none of the characters are pure good or evil. This is why i like this series more then for instance WoT, where there is an purely evil force that the obvious good guys have to defeat.

My favourite POV's are Jaime and Jon.
      That's exactly what I love about it- pretty much every single character is so morally gray- they can be absolutely despicable one moment and likable the next. And many of them have done absolutely horrible things, but then you have to put their actions in context for the society they're in and ahhh! It's a mind-frak is what it is!

Jamie is one of my favourite POVs as well, I fully expected to despise him when I got to his first chapter of ASoS, but as that book went on I felt a lot of sympathy for him.....to the point where I keep having to remind myself that he
      Spoiler:
      threw Bran out the window.

Cersi on the other hand is irredeemable.

What I find amusing is that
      Spoiler:
      four books into the series and the "evil force" has all but been ignored by probably three quarters or more of the characters.....can't wait to see this bite them all back.

Comment

I like this series. Hopefully Martin finishes before he goes the way of Jordan. I really like the way Martin is so brutal with his characters, its refreshing in fantasy writing.

I like Jon and Ayra for the point of views.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative View Post
          I like this series. Hopefully Martin finishes before he goes the way of Jordan. I really like the way Martin is so brutal with his characters, its refreshing in fantasy writing.

I like Jon and Ayra for the point of views.
          He's not afraid to cut a bloody swath through his cast of characters either.....

And don't dare suggest that the same might happen as with Jordan. I don't even want to contemplate that! He'll be sixty this year. Lets hope he lives another fourty years and gives us more books after Ice and Fire is finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
            He's not afraid to cut a bloody swath through his cast of characters either.....

And don't dare suggest that the same might happen as with Jordan. I don't even want to contemplate that! He'll be sixty this year. Lets hope he lives another fourty years and gives us more books after Ice and Fire is finished.
            The length of time it takes Martin to take write a book, you never know. But his books are among my favorite so hopefully he does finish it.

I assume you've heard that HBO has optioned the books to turn into a TV series? Last word, Martin had approved the script but HBO was deciding between Song of Ice and Fire and some series about King Arthur. So nothing is set is stone.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2008...d-song-of.html

Comment

Originally posted by Arative View Post
              The length of time it takes Martin to take write a book, you never know. But his books are among my favorite so hopefully he does finish it.

I assume you've heard that HBO has optioned the books to turn into a TV series? Last word, Martin had approved the script but HBO was deciding between Song of Ice and Fire and some series about King Arthur. So nothing is set is stone.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2008...d-song-of.html
              Yes! I was excited about the potential of this series before I even read the books- good to hear that if it does go ahead they might film in Europe or New Zealand. I do want to see these books put to screen, but any film adaption would probably be crap. The books are far too complex and subtle moments shouldn't be lost, each really does need thirteen hours to play out, they are the perfect material for television- providing the budget is good. And the fact that this is HBO, where they wouldn't have to tone it down, even better.

Comment

Robert Jordan had a rare blood disease -- I presume Martin does not. If that is reassuring in the least bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
                  Robert Jordan had a rare blood disease -- I presume Martin does not. If that is reassuring in the least bit.
                  Well, if he doesn't, that's one potential death scenario off the list.....next up, fans need to keep him from being hit by a bus.....

*knocks on wood*

Comment

Well, if he doesn't, that's one potential death scenario off the list.....next up, fans need to keep him from being hit by a bus.....
                    Oh, pick me! I know the answer!

Spoiler:
                    Bubble wrap!

Comment

Oh, pick me! I know the answer!

Spoiler:
                      Bubble wrap!
                      Bring on the fan campaign.....Wrap a Writer, Save a Series.

Comment

Just started reading the first book a few days back; about in the middle, give or take some pages, I think. It's good, maybe even great, but somehow I expected more after all the raving here. Maybe some of that has tainted my enjoyment of the book, I don't know.

Comment

Just started reading the first book a few days back; about in the middle, give or take some pages, I think. It's good, maybe even great, but somehow I expected more after all the raving here. Maybe some of that has tainted my enjoyment of the book, I don't know.
                          Just wait and see.....

Comment

...This ol' series?
                            I can't even remember how long ago I started reading this. Isn't he finished yet?
                            *frowns*

This is a pretty good series as far as I can tell, but Otherland still beats it out in my books!
                            ...er, pun not intended.

And shouldn't they wait till the books are done till they do a series?
                            Although at this rate the contract'll expire before the books are all out!
                            "Prepare to meet your DOOM."

"It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it."

GADZOOKS

Comment

Just wait and see.....
                              Wait and see what? The end of the book, the next in the series...? Darn you and your meager hints! *Shakes fist*

Comment

Wait and see what? The end of the book, the next in the series...? Darn you and your meager hints! *Shakes fist*
                                It's really best not to know when the surprises are coming. So I'll keep my mouth.....er, keyboard, shut, just read.

Comment

Working...
                                X