MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheVoidDragon View Post
    As i just said though, contradictions don't mean it's non-canon, simply having contradictions doesn't mean the entire thing is suddenly non-canon, that isn't how canon works. Retcons are a very common thing, SG1 made a few retcons to the movie and so did the other shows. A retcon even stands for "Retroactive Continuity", meaning the continuity has been updated or replaced so that you just assume it's how the later thing shows it. Something like the actor for Warmachine in Iron Man changing from Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle doesn't suddenly mean the movie was made non-canon, it was just a retcon. It's the same with Stargate - the movie/the show aren't suddenly non-canon to each other because there were continuity problems because of retcons.

You're right about how she shouldn't be there...which is why it wasn't actually her in Origins, from what i've read. While i don't have access to them, the mission detail stuff on the Stargate Command site apparantly says that it's a clone of her; they thought about the problem and solved it.

There is only one Stargate canon and that encompases the movie, SG1, Atantis, Universe and Origins. They are not part of seperate universes or canon, they all take place in one setting.

The movie doesn't "fit perfectly" inside the continuity orcanon of just the movie if you took that as a separate canon to SG1, because there's a DHD, Catherine isn't Swedish etc. There are elements that only fit if the show and movie are part of the same thing.

Origins is canon with SG1, which is canon with the movie - they are not seperate universes at all, there has never been any indication of that. They all take place in the same setting, but the movie continuity doesn't fully line up fully with SG1 because there were Retcons. Origins has some continuity problems, like the look of the gate, but it's still canon.
    A retcon is one thing, but contradictions are another. Everyone has constantly stated that Origins was supposed to be 100% canon with SG-1, that means no retcons. Yet there are many elements from the movie that SG-1 removed or changed. That's undoing the retcon.

And the movie isn't canon in the SG-1/Atlantis/Universe canon. It's called the SG-1/Atlantis/Universe canon for a reason. The continuity of the movie is canon, the events of the movie have happened in the canon universe, though with some minor differences. But overall the movie has been retconned so much that it is no longer canon within the television franchise.

If MGM says it's canon, doesn't actually mean it is canon. They said the novels and comics were canon, yet they contain so many contradictions and errors, in addition to the comics having a completely different continuity post-Atlantis-Season-5. The RPG books "are" also canon, yet everything released after the books were contradicting the books, or actually the other way around since the shows take precedence.

The three main TV shows always take precedence. If there is anything that contradicts the shows, it is not canon. It doesn't mean the whole thing would be non-canon. There are elements of the movie, RPG books, and Origins that do fit within the canon and continuity, but not everything.

For the most part, canonicity is also different for everyone, it is not just what the PTB say. I consider Origins to be non-canon, not just because of the contradictions but also because of all the illogical things that happened: Nazis in Egypt, everyone going through the gate, Aset/Isis, Ra and his mind-control/brainwashing ability, Catherine breaking the PoO on the cartouche, and most importantly Aset wiping everyone's memories and coercing Catherine to form a team to defeat Ra. But the worst of all that I think is unforgivable, mainly for the supposed reason behind it, is the stargate itself.

If this persists, then at some point new material will override (aka retcon) previous material, which by definition means the older material is no longer canon. This effectively turns the new material into a reboot. That is also why we are so vocal about this, because if everyone likes Origins then MGM can go ahead and just continue along the same route with eventually nothing remaining of the original franchise. If no-one, including MGM, wants a reboot, then they need to stick to canon 100% without too much creative license to retcon certain things.
    Last edited by NickEast; 28 July 2018, 01:20 AM.

Comment

What nivao said.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Have I missed soemthing important? I had holiday and internet issues...

Do we know any details about the partnership with / without Tongal?

Brad Wright will participitate in Vancouver this September, so maybe he will announce something. I am still dreaming...
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          Have I missed soemthing important? I had holiday and internet issues...
          Depends how long you've been out of the game. Gateworld's been offline this week so the internet issues were felt everywhere.

Do we know any details about the partnership with / without Tongal?
          That would be a no. Gateworld has literally been the only place where anything about Stargate at SDCC is being reported. Stargate Command is just quiet on every side. It's like they forgot they marketed themselves as the "Hub of all things stargate".

Brad Wright will participitate in Vancouver this September, so maybe he will announce something. I am still dreaming...
          Well, Joe Mallozzi is entirely out of the loop but he does believe there might be something up in the air, but it won't be with the old crew. Gateworld's own Darren has been guessing that there might be another announcement of sorts -- or a first announcement of sorts at Gatecon at the start of September cause the Stargate Command team is rumored to be there, but I don't know if that means Legion M or people from MGM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Gateworld's own Darren has been guessing that there might be another announcement of sorts -- or a first announcement of sorts at Gatecon at the start of September cause the Stargate Command team is rumored to be there, but I don't know if that means Legion M or people from MGM.
            Hopefully we'll have something in September, safe to say if nothing is announced then I think we'll have to wait until 2019.

IF we get another Origins, I would really like to see a story revolving around the Ancients / Ori storyline: how it began? what made them separate in two factions? maybe a war broke out? What forced the Ancients out? Or, being the SGU fan that I am, give me EITHER a conclusion to the series OR an Origins story about when and why the Destiny was launched. I really love the style of the ''old'' ancient tech, I'd love to see more prior Atlantis.

And please, for the love of God, no return of the Jaffa story
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

FH: Thanks, so I haven't missed too much.

I don't know what new things could they tell about the Jaffas. Because there were some "spoilers" that he wants to write a story about kelnoreem. Even this made me sleep.

I have got a few story ideas, so maybe I will try to send some to the Tongal as soon as we will know more details.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I have got a few story ideas, so maybe I will try to send some to the Tongal as soon as we will know more details.
                I think you're better off writing them as fanfic than you are giving them up to MGM.

Comment

I am just kidding. Since English is not my native language and I am not a professional writer at all, so I wouldn't have any chance. And we also don't know the future SG concept of Tongal, what they expect, what happens with our rights, who makes the decisions etc.

Honestly I would be still happier with the return of Brad Wright and the continuation of the original tv franchise... 6 more weeks and we will find out if any SG project is under development.

Comment

Well well well what have we got here!

One of the interviewers asked “So what are you doing next?” to which Christopher replied, “You’ll know very soon! If you saw any of the stuff from Comic-Con [SDCC last week] that was the start to it. Whatever form Stargate takes next, I’d be very happy, for the rest of my career, to just do whatever’s going to happen with Stargate.”

That lead to the obvious follow up “So are you saying there’s something new coming following Stargate at SDCC?” to which he replies “Where’d you get that?” and lets out a bellowing laugh. “There’s something coming,” he adds. “I’m not really at liberty to expand on that.”

He goes on to talk about how the producers were genuinely listening to fans at SDCC last week, and how he was really impressed by their attitude towards the franchise. But is, obviously, being very careful about saying too much. We’ll have to wait and see what materialises!

Full interview
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

They have been sitting on a veritable goldmine of casual scifi viewers for years, Idiots.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Should we bet on what might be coming up?

I'll start *Clear throat*

Stargate Unas: Chaka and his formidable team of Unas are set on a path of incredible adventures and many perils. Indeed, they must travel to different worlds by use of the Stargate device on a quest to retrieve as many chocolate bars as possible.

Starring Jelgate as the sarcastic Colonel, Gatefan in the role of the Chevron guy, Falcon in the role of the leader of the International Oversight Advisory (IOA), dedicated to remove any and all geoblock barriers, Annoyed in the role of Kinsey, and last but not least, Tood in the role of the teacher of the Stargate 101 training class.
                        Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 02 August 2018, 10:05 AM.
                        Spoiler:

Comment

Thanks Chaka. Just honestly that is what he has said a few times this year then nothing was announced. 6 more weeks and we will find out if they are just fooling us or not. Again.

Comment

Its the role I always wanted
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

I am just kidding. Since English is not my native language and I am not a professional writer at all, so I wouldn't have any chance.
                              My native language is Dutch and I have written plenty fanfic (just need a good betareader and someone to tell you that certain sentences are not entirely written the way that I expect them to be written -- too literally translated or some such ).

So, it can be done.

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                              He goes on to talk about how the producers were genuinely listening to fans at SDCC last week, and how he was really impressed by their attitude towards the franchise. But is, obviously, being very careful about saying too much. We’ll have to wait and see what materialises![/I]
                              I have literally no idea who he means by the "producers" because MGM wasn't represented at SDCC except in a joint venture with 20th Century Fox which takes care of their home distribution. Neither was there anyone representing them at the stargate panels, unless you count the head honcho from the Stargate Command team who is -- probably -- a freelance consultant to MGM for stargate.

He could be talking about Legion M who organized both the screening and the meet and greet with the cast of Origins. Or he could be talking about the people who actually produced Origins which is also not MGM but Vanishing Angle in LA, which employs Mercedes Bryce Morgan as one their directors.

Therefore, I have a feeling this where Tongal is going to come in.

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                              Should we bet on what might be coming up?

I'll start *Clear throat*

Stargate Unas: Chaka and his formidable team of Unas are set on a path of incredible adventures and many perils. Indeed, they must travel to different worlds by use of the Stargate device on a quest to retrieve as many chocolate bars as possible.

Starring Jelgate as the sarcastic Colonel, Gatefan in the role of the Chevron guy, Falcon in the role of the leader of the International Oversight Advisory (IOA), dedicated to remove any and all geoblock barriers, Annoyed in the role of Kinsey, and last but not least, Tood in the role of the teacher of the Stargate 101 training class.
                              I approve!

Comment

Thanks Chaka. Just honestly that is what he has said a few times this year then nothing was announced. 6 more weeks and we will find out if they are just fooling us or not. Again.
                                True, but this time, the way he worded it leads me to believe that there's truly something in the works. Hopefully that won't be a tease again, I had plenty of that with my ex gf already.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Its the role I always wanted
                                Living the dream my friend, living the dream.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X