The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
    I do not know if wearing a mask protects you or if it s just more 'fake news'. but I am prepared to wear one just to be sure.
    These Muslim women wear a mask all the time they are out, with or without Covid 19 & they do not complain. Better safe than sorry I reckon, & t does not hurt to wear one.
    (Actually it makes it easier for bank-robbers & muggers.)
    Do you wear glasses? If so, I'm sure you've noticed how fast a mask will fog your glasses up when you exhale. How can the mask possibly work when that much exhaled air is blowing right past it?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Not likely, at least in the U.S. The legal authority of the state to require them is already being challenged in the courts, with at least one federal court ruling against the state.
      what happened to your ardent support of states' rights?

Do you wear glasses? If so, I'm sure you've noticed how fast a mask will fog your glasses up when you exhale. How can the mask possibly work when that much exhaled air is blowing right past it?
      at best it blocks the larger droplets you exhale or cough (those that fall after a short distance hence the importance of social distancing) not the smaller ones (aerosols)

face shields are actually much better at that minus all the potential side effects. far less profitable to the mask industry of course

I do not know if wearing a mask protects you or if it s just more 'fake news'. but I am prepared to wear one just to be sure.
      not breathing protects you even more so I've stopped breathing just to be surer

Comment

If you want a solution to your glasses fogging up, take a tip from divers and spit in them.
        Wipe away the excess, all you need is a light film and your glasses will not fog up.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          If you want a solution to your glasses fogging up, take a tip from divers and spit in them.
          Wipe away the excess, all you need is a light film and your glasses will not fog up.
          That's gross. And, how many droplets would you spread in a public place if you did spit on your glasses?

Comment

Here you go... mask wearing isn't "fake news"...

Visualizing droplet dispersal for face shields and masks with exhalation valves

Which is upwards, not forwards...
            So, you're basically blowing the droplets back at yourself.

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
            not breathing protects you even more so I've stopped breathing just to be surer
            If only it wasn't so final...

Proven theory -- disgusting sure, but works.

That's gross. And, how many droplets would you spread in a public place if you did spit on your glasses?
            EW DUDE!! Don't spit in front of people... that's just gross.

I did leave the country for my vacation. Visited the north of Germany which at the time was all green zone, and returned via The Netherlands which was partially green but surely turning orange when we left -- I swear, we had nothing to do with that. I mean, we were literally the only people in The Netherlands wearing a facemask and we were just continually stared at. They had no regulations in place. They do have the whole social distancing thing going and desinfecting of surfaces and hands but beyond that... nada... so no wonder they continue to have a high infection rate. They do have stricter measures coming now.

Belgium has had 1500 confirmed infections on a daily basis too since schools opened and people returned from vacations from red and orange colored zones. There are currently about 700 people in hospitals, of which 150 (give or take) are in the ICU. Deaths are way down though, on average we loose about 4 people a day now (which is still too much obviously).

My aunt's school had to quarantine 2 weeks ago when 6 teachers and 2 children in kindergarten tested positive. And many other schools have had the same happening already.

And I see that tomorrow we'll be able to download the tracing app...
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It's nice living in Europe and being able to just take a train or drive to the next country.

We're stuck at home with what started as a 2 weeks quarantine and is now looking as a month plus at most optimistic.

Aand I am finally on unpaid leave like the vast majority of my colleagues, because my company is in bad enough shape that they would rather face lawsuits from the customers than pay my salary at this point.
              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Which is upwards, not forwards...
                So, you're basically blowing the droplets back at yourself.
                And since the exhaled air doesn't go into your eyeballs, it is deflected back out into the surrounding air.

Oh, and isn't directing that exhaled stream of droplets at your eyeballs increasing the risk to yourself? The eyes and other sensitive areas are infection points, might result in a heavier viral load as well.

Yet another reason for not wearing masks, at least for those who need glasses.

EW DUDE!! Don't spit in front of people... that's just gross.
                Hey, it wasn't my suggestion. Go yell at GF.

I did leave the country for my vacation. Visited the north of Germany which at the time was all green zone, and returned via The Netherlands which was partially green but surely turning orange when we left -- I swear, we had nothing to do with that.
                How the hell did you get out? The rest of the world decided you were not going to be let out again, ever. Now you have to be punished.

You are sentenced to start and operate the Belgian "Trump fan club"

I mean, we were literally the only people in The Netherlands wearing a facemask and we were just continually stared at. They had no regulations in place. They do have the whole social distancing thing going and desinfecting of surfaces and hands but beyond that... nada... so no wonder they continue to have a high infection rate. They do have stricter measures coming now.

Belgium has had 1500 confirmed infections on a daily basis too since schools opened and people returned from vacations from red and orange colored zones. There are currently about 700 people in hospitals, of which 150 (give or take) are in the ICU. Deaths are way down though, on average we loose about 4 people a day now (which is still too much obviously).

My aunt's school had to quarantine 2 weeks ago when 6 teachers and 2 children in kindergarten tested positive. And many other schools have had the same happening already.
                This whole "re-opening" thing has been a clusterfrak in the US too. Particularly when it comes to schools. As if nobody could have predicted that young skulls full of mush would rather socialize than confine themselves to their dorms and behave themselves.

At least that is traceable. We know what the problem is and how to fix it. (but we won't) Although not readily traceable, the next sore point will be sit-down restaurants and such.

In the rush to re-open pushed by businesses, restaurants and the like were allowed to run at 25% or so capacity. That kind of business simply can't operate profitably at that kind of usage rate, the numbers just don't add up. So many of them took to outdoor seating to increase capacity to levels they could run at. With the oncoming cold weather of winter approaching, that isn't going to be workable. So we can expect a whole lot of whining by that industry, and they will be allowed to re-open normally or near-normal. And that is going to drive another resurgence of CV.

And I see that tomorrow we'll be able to download the tracing app...
                Yeah, Riiight. I'm going to give the government that kind of access to the data stored on my phone.

Comment

The fine layer of spit lasts for quite some time, and because you only have to deal with two small lenses, a small bit on you finger (rather than hacking up a giant spitball).
                  Really all you have to do is lick your finger, wipe it on the inside then sanitize your hands again.
                  Gross or not, it is what works.
                  Oh, and don't blame me, I was just passing along something that works.
                  sigpic

Comment

and the fact that regular masks are much more profitable (cause unlike shields they have to be bought & changed regularly) is an added bonus, so regardless if they're effective or not, at least do it out of duty, do it for Capitalism!

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                      It's nice living in Europe and being able to just take a train or drive to the next country.
                      Notwithstanding that all around Belgium, the color is orange or red which means they are pretty much off-limits. We chose Germany because a) it had lifted restrictions for people living in the Province of Antwerp (my dad), and b) it was green across the board.

We're stuck at home with what started as a 2 weeks quarantine and is now looking as a month plus at most optimistic
                      We've done our time -- as it were -- though are still continuing the work from home with a minimum of 2 days at the office, keeping the 50% occupation in mind so teams are split between working from home and working from the office.

Aand I am finally on unpaid leave like the vast majority of my colleagues, because my company is in bad enough shape that they would rather face lawsuits from the customers than pay my salary at this point.
                      My sister too is back to 4 days a week instead of 5 -- the airport business is suffering.
                      And for the briefest of times, it looked to become even more dire with impending slashing of contracts but this has been averted for now.

On the upside, she'll have more time to deal with our impending move.

And since the exhaled air doesn't go into your eyeballs, it is deflected back out into the surrounding air.
                      Therefore, social distance -- the reccommendation is 2 adult sheep, or 2 raccoons, or 1 raptor...

Oh, and isn't directing that exhaled stream of droplets at your eyeballs increasing the risk to yourself? The eyes and other sensitive areas are infection points, might result in a heavier viral load as well.
                      When you're already infected and therefore only sending the droplets back towards yourself.... you can't reinfect yourself that fast.

How the hell did you get out? The rest of the world decided you were not going to be let out again, ever. Now you have to be punished.
                      1 camper van
                      1 highway
                      1 open border

Bye Belgium and hello Germany!

You are sentenced to start and operate the Belgian "Trump fan club"
                      This may or may not surprise anyone, but it already exists -- not as actual fan club but more like a group of people liking him. I know at least one person who is a big Trump fan.

I am not joking here.

...rather than hacking up a giant spitball...
                      Too late...

Comment

Mrs GF makes her own.
                        BTW, for people who use re-usable masks, get yourself a "bra bag", it's a good way to keep them togeather while you are washing them.
                        sigpic

Comment

Therefore, social distance -- the reccommendation is 2 adult sheep, or 2 raccoons, or 1 raptor...
                          I think you're confused about the size of things. A Colonial Raptor is way bigger than 2 sheep or 2 raccoons.

Me, I'd be comfortable keeping an entire Battlestar's length away from other people. But they didn't ask me. (And that's in normal times)

This may or may not surprise anyone, but it already exists -- not as actual fan club but more like a group of people liking him. I know at least one person who is a big Trump fan.

I am not joking here.
                          Well, I guess you'll have to wear nothing but Red M.A.G.A. hats and t-shirts......

Comment

Mrs GF makes her own.
                            BTW, for people who use re-usable masks, get yourself a "bra bag", it's a good way to keep them togeather while you are washing them.
                            My sister and Mrs. GF would get along great.

I have 16 masks, but running low at the moment because we used a lot of them in the past weeks.
                            I have about 9 homemade masks, 1 from our city, 6 from my employer, and then we also got some disposable masks cause cloth masks are freaking hot and uncomfortable when it's 36° Celsius outside.

I have plane brown ones, but my favorite ones are the ones that have animals on the front. And the ones my employer got us, have the words "Keep smiling" on the front.

I think you're confused about the size of things. A Colonial Raptor is way bigger than 2 sheep or 2 raccoons.

https://en.battlestarwikiclone.org/w...x-Raptor-1.jpg
                            Definitely taking that raptor over the one I had in mind.

Comment

I wear a reusable mask. The company I work for gave us some and I bought some more from the store I work at because they have some pretty nice looking ones, but I prefer these ones (and they're the ones I wear most of the time when I'm at work or whenever I need to be out for an extended period of time):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088C2WD5F..._zg7CFbSPBBD3T

They're really lightweight and breathable compared to the others that I've tried, I pretty much forget I'm wearing one most of the time.
                              sigpic

Comment

Apparently Whole Foods corporate decided to be a bunch of debbie downers this year and not even let us dress up for the holidays, not even for Halloween....strange I thought all the masks with those costumes would've been a GOOD thing

Was planning on dressing up either as an Ori prior (though can't seem to find any gray monk robes at Party City, only brown or black ones) or perhaps (since I have the right body type for it) as Thanos (or as fat Thor )

Comment

Working...
                                X