• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egads.. my memory is flawed..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      Egads.. my memory is flawed..
      I know that feeling.
      Blue is such a nice color, especially if you have wings.

Comment

Joe Mallozzi's thoughts on this episode:
        http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...asus-the-gift/

THE GIFT (118)

This episode starts with the old double-dream twist (love it!) and ends with a shocking revelation that was hinted at way back in the opening two-parter. Along the way, we are treated to oodles of backstory on the wraith, the Ancients, and Teyla herself. And, as an added bonus, we’re also introduced to resident psychiatrist Dr. Kate Heightmeyer AND the much-loved tuttleroot soup (an Athosian specialty!). This episode covers A LOT of ground, but it never feels rushed or overwhelming in its delivery. It moves along at a brisk pace with one surprise building on the next. The evolution of the wraith! The Ancients’ unwittingly having a hand in their own demise! The dark truth about Teyla’s genetic make-up! The reason for the grand awakening and looming wraith attack on Atlantis!

And then, there’s this at the very end of the episode:

Teyla: “That is why they are all waking up. That is why they are coming here. They know that Atlantis is the only way to get to a new, rich, feeding ground.”

Sheppard: Earth.

Yes! YES! THAT is why they’re all awakening! Sheppard assumes the blame for awakening the wraith (during the op to rescue Sumner in Rising II) but here, Teyla confirms what I mentioned in a previous entry: that the wraith have awakened, not because of Sheppard’s actions, but because of the information they discovered while interrogating Sumner.
        sigpic

Comment

Average episode (for SGA Season 1).

So Teyla is part Wraith.

Tomorrow, the beginning of the very epic trilogy known as The Seige.
          sigpic

Comment

Not too bad an episode. Whilst Teyla hasn't made such an impact as a character for me I quite liked her in this. It was interesting to learn about another misstep, although they could in no way have known, as far as what the Ancients did by inadvertently creating the Wraith.

Creepy idea that bugs like the one that got Sheppard in '38 Minutes' transformed human DNA over time! I wonder what they fed on until they first came across humans.

At least the Wraith's experiment backfired on them in the case of the 'gifted' and Teyla, it turns out to be a gift that can be turned on the Wraith instead of the other way round, useful that!

Comment

My LiveJournal post

Wow, some surprising info about the Wraith there, for a first time Atlantis watcher like myself!
              Poor Teyla!
              "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
              "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
              "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
              "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
              >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I like finally getting a focus on Teyla and learning more about the wraith. This opportunity to get into the wraith mind is something I wish we could have seen more of.

My biggest complaint about this episode is the pointless inclusion of yet another secondary (tertiary even) character, Dr. Heightmeyer. I really like the moments when Teyla is confiding in members of the team--she and Ford have a very nice scene--and I think having her approach Weir about her issues would have been much more interesting and effective. We get so little interaction and screen time with our leads anyway.

Comment

The Gift

Weir: "Colonel"

Weir: "I know you feel as depressed we do. I mean we don't have any defenses, any place to go. The Athosians on the mainland are sure to get wiped out."

Sheppard: "I'm not worried about that Weir. I know that the Wraith are coming ever-so-closer but I'm not worried about that."

McKay: "Then what are you worried about?"

Sheppard: "Teyla, I feel like we've been neglecting her all this time. I mean she's a valuable member of the team and we just treat her like she in the background."

McKay: "That's it, that's what you're worried about?"

McKay: "Shephard, she's a vital part of our team. You've even hit it off with her a couple of times. This talk about her being neglected is really crazy!"

Sheppard: "It's not crazy! I mean just look at her; she's just looking for her chance to shine and we're not giving her that opportunity."

McKay: "How many opportunities have she's gotten so far? it almost seems like you want her to experience a spiritualistic exploration of life-changing possibilities, complete with a slice of self-confidence on the side."

Weir: "That's actually not a bad idea McKay."

Sheppard: "Have to agree with Weir, this is the most brilliant idea you've come up with in a while!"

McKay: "Wait, you're going along with this? I said it as somewhat of a snarky comment, I didn't intend for people to take it seriously!"

Sheppard: "Regardless of that, this is the thing I've been looking for; it's perfect for Teyla and with both of our help, I know we can pull it off. Let's go Rodney!"

McKay: "That's where my big mouth gets me. Just great! I should be out there saving Atlantis, not chaperoning Shephard on a date with Teyla! I guess this is what constitutes as the best use for a genuis who's saved their butts a couple of times. *sigh*"

Teyla has always been this person of interest; the people that she's a part of, the sheer amount of planets that she knows, the sheer skill that she has. I imagine there must be a ton of people who have been clamoring for an episode solely focused on her so behold, the Stargate Atlantis people have heard your priers and they have given you a gift in return; this episode.

Now is her chance to shine...

Firstly, this episode truly focuses on Teyla; there are barely any appearances by the Atlantis crew (and the ones that do are mostly background roles) to sideline her into the background like they have for many episodes and this truly gives her a chance to shine. The focus on the one thing that defines her character, the differences between races is put to really good use; after all this time they still haven't fully accepted her and the same could be said to Teyla who constantly worries about being accepted, it reinforces that there will always be cultural differences no matter how hard we try to unify but it's also used to bring out the best in Teyla's performance. The actor behind her plays the ever-so-confident role as she tries to help out, tries to prove that she can handle with the best of them and one of the best things about it is that she continues to play it, even after the people had accepted her for who she is. That strong, don't give up mentality is what drives her character throughout the series and it's what drives most of the best scenes that she has to offer; especially when she's put through what she's being put through.

The connection between the Athosian people and her get a nice mention; the connection between her and her grandmother is a sweet one that just unifies the bond they have with the society at hand; it's ever so clear that she's one of them and no matter what happens in the series, nothing is going to change that. It also reveals some of her backstory that I thought to be cute, I mean who cannot resist imaging her as a young girl through the memories that she holds? Her scenes show the Athosian inside of her that barely gets mentioned (outside of several episodes) and it even reveals some of the stuff about the people who are able to sense the Wraith and the stories relating to those people, anything about their history is nice considering that they're the first people who the Atlantians save, what's more is that it even relates to Teyla in that it inspires her to look up and explore her history; it connects both her people and herself with history and it more then grows both of their worlds, though it grows Teyla more then it does her people, it's still an appreciable growth that I'm sure will be properly used when the time comes.

A truly charming moment with grandma.

One of the things that makes this episode is the things she's put through, the Wraith related things... These things show an unseen aspect of Teyla that isn't seen much, the one where she's in a vulnerable position. You can clearly see her confusion, her fear and her desire throughout the episode; the scene where she's doing the usual martial arts is an example as it shows her in that position, the lighting is nice yes but seeing Teyla beat up like that just does wonders for her character. The actor is good in both utilizing the strong, the weak and the curiosity of her character; the many interactions that she has with the Atlantis crew shows her in a confrontational state while also reflecting on the caring nature of the team. Out of the few shown, Sheppard is the one that is decent because he manages to have something with Teyla and he manages to utilize his military leadership in their favor. There is another doctor introduced ("Kate") but I don't mind because her performance is top notch and her appearance allows us to dig deeper into Teyla. Her questions reveal stuff about Teyla that wouldn't be revealed otherwise, mainly her thoughts and views; the physiological stuff in this scenes both serve a dual purpose, to give the scenes weight and to pick out essential aspects of Teyla's personality, the more Kate talks about the psychological stuff and the more interviews that they do, the more insight we gain about Teyla and that insight gives us an idea of what makes her tick and it allows us to connect with her even more.

Incorporating the Wraith is a genius idea, especially the way they do it. We learn some stuff that's related to the series (specifically evolutionary matters) and we learn some stuff related to the Athosians. It's truly interesting to see what they did and the history relating to that; who knows what people do that can play a part in anything, especially when it plays into their history fully and is essential to the series as a whole, that's what makes it so interesting. They become an essential part of Teyla throughout the duration of the episode. It's introduced firstly as a small dream but as time goes on and we know more about it, it becomes something that we associate with Teyla and it also becomes something that they fear and argue amongst themselves with. (initially...) It's also something that gives Teyla the moment to shine as the faces her fears herself by embracing the unknown side of her; these scenes are engaging and tense as she gets put through certain danger and every time she does it, every time she faces it, it both shows her fear and shows her strength at the same time. And what she is willing to face just to help her team, the aftereffects of the result of her ability shows one of the things that makes her character, that she is willing to help out, that she is willing to put herself through anything; no matter what the cost. And what is learned of the Wraith, what is learned of Teyla sets expectations for the finale through the roof; now that we know what she is and what the Wraith are truly here for, there will be no holding back.

Yup... No holding back...

"The Gift" is quite honestly Teyla's chance to shine and a masterpiece of an episode at that. This episode quite literally digs deep into Teyla's character exposing mostly every aspect of it and putting her in a light that ultimately defines her as she explores herself and digs deep to find aspects even we ourselves unaware of. It highlights the best aspects of her personality, it's a decent look into an unknown character and it's just loads of dramatic fun. One of the highlights of the season and truly a gift worth having.

10/10
                  Back from the grave.

Comment

An alright ep.

I don't know why but I'm really not a fan of Teyla this watch. Something about her is just rubbing me the wrong way. Maybe she will improve later on.

The stunt double for shep looked nothing like him in that fight with Teyla. Bit annoying when that happens.

Imagine being part Wraith. That would suck. Pretty cool powers though.
                    sigpic

Comment

Midweek, another ep of Atlantis.

1. Is it me or did some of the early shots of waking-up-Teyla look similar to taken-over-by-Wraith-Teyla?

2. Of course we know that Teyla sensing the Wraith now is due to
                      Spoiler:
                      a Wraith in Atlantis
                      I'm surprised they weren't able to work that out earlier.

3. One of Bates' better eps.

4. Interesting that Heightmeyer and Teyla eventually became friends but to start with...

Still solid.
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                        My biggest complaint about this episode is the pointless inclusion of yet another secondary (tertiary even) character, Dr. Heightmeyer.
                        If that's the only thing wrong with this episode, then it was a pretty good one I imagine... Still I'm glad they introduced Kate, added an extra dimension to whom is part of the expedition. I sense a little hostility towards the character here so you should be okay to know she's only going to bother you for 5 episodes.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          If that's the only thing wrong with this episode, then it was a pretty good one I imagine... Still I'm glad they introduced Kate, added an extra dimension to whom is part of the expedition. I sense a little hostility towards the character here so you should be okay to know she's only going to bother you for 5 episodes.
                          It's not really hostility. I just find the character really bland and that it takes away from the opportunity to deepen the relationships between our main characters, which certainly doesn't get enough attention IMO.
                          Last edited by hlndncr; 30 June 2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                            It's not really hostility. I just find the character really bland and that takes away from the opportunity to deepen the relationships between are main characters, which certainly doesn't get enough attention IMO.
                            Quite the opposite exactly. Weir may be a leader but I doubt she would be able to challenge the psych more then Kate would; I found her to be a decently acted character with some personality and while it would of been more logical to have her converse with Weir, I don't think it would have the same effect imo.
                            Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                              Quite the opposite exactly. Weir may be a leader but I doubt she would be able to challenge the psych more then Kate would; I found her to be a decently acted character with some personality and while it would of been more logical to have her converse with Weir, I don't think it would have the same effect imo.
                              I don't fault the actress. She was fine. But I think the massive numbers of secondary characters and hours of screen time given to them leaves the main characters rather flat. I don't mind filling out the universe, but a first season especially should give us the chance to really get to know our main characters. I think Ford for example suffered from this. But it also hurt the team feel. They just didn't depend on one another. In SG-1 the team would have confided and talked things through with one another. They might have spoken with Janet too. But you would never see them making appointments with say Dr. MacKenzie--not voluntarily anyway.

Comment

This is a good episode because not only does it focus on Teyla as a person but it expands on the Wraith as a people. I liked how the episode explored who Teyla was and her history. She had largley been a mystery before this episode so I liked the exploring of Teyla and discovering more about Teyla's ability to detect Wraith. What really interested me is that the episode was not just about Teyla it also brought more insight into who the Wraith are as a people and who they came to the situation as they are. I really did not care for the big reveal that the Wraith are coming for Earth. That was kind of already known in my frame of mind
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X