Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the kind of relationship Alex has with Kara, and vice versa before there were significant others, with my sister.

We share a flat so that adds to the way we are but still. I can imagine if either of us were to meet someone that that would certainly change our dynamic towards each other, so I kinda feel like this is another natural progression in the Danvers' sister relationship. They will always be sisters who'll stick up for one another (see last episode) but there are others now in their lives which they are getting close to as well, sharing love and life. Ride or die!
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

This is a TV show, not real life and the sister relationship was the best thing about the show IMO. Now that it's almost no existent the show is suffering badly to me and it's frustrating that the writers are incapable of writing more than one meaningful relationship at a time. They could find a balance between the Alex/Maggie relationship and Alex/Kara relationship. They've either stopped caring about Alex/Kara or they are incapable of doing both
      sigpic

Comment

There was a rather interesting dynamic in Homecoming.

Comment

Jeezus folks, the whole thing is contrived, just like Smallville.
          SG could do with some better writers, sure, so could nearly every damn show on the air............
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Jeezus folks, the whole thing is contrived, just like Smallville.
            I totally disagree. Smallville's inhabitants were so inherently backwards, that I just stopped watching it after Season 1. I mean come on, how many times people need to see that Clark and the what-they-called-it are never together in the same place? Or how many head injuries, pixies, wizards, warlocks and loose magic is needed for them to forget they found him out??? Ugh, rant over, sorry. At least Lois & Clark did put a lampshade on it when they called Lois the most galactically stupid person on Earth.

So is Supergirl contrived? I believe after watching an invincible person flying because of yellow sun the rest comes easily.

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
            This is a TV show, not real life and the sister relationship was the best thing about the show IMO.
            Yes, this is a TV show, but particularly Alex's story, her coming out story was really true to life, I've heard many many people saying how it did hit home, how it made them relive their coming out feelings.

So yes, it's a tacky show about a flying alien girl, and the contrived villains of the week, but on the other hand it does tackle some very serious issues like sexism, equal rights, migrants, refugees, homophobia, etc.

It's far from being perfect, I say that they have majorly effed up the whole Mon-hell redemption story line, and instead we got a toxic relationship, when the prince of Mysoginistia constantly fails to treat Supergirl as an equal, and she still loves him and forgives him.
            sigpic

Comment

*hides behind Alex*

I actually like the writing on Supergirl.

Please, don't hurt me.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                *hides behind Alex*

Please, don't hurt me.
                She'll protect you.
                https://68.media.tumblr.com/8c722910...9xs6o1_500.gif

(Erm, did you kinda imply I was a tiny bit overzealous?)
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 08 May 2017, 03:38 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

I simply don't want to end up on Alex' opposite side, cause she's bad-ass.

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
                    So yes, it's a tacky show about a flying alien girl, and the contrived villains of the week, but on the other hand it does tackle some very serious issues like sexism, equal rights, migrants, refugees, homophobia, etc.
                    And that imo is why a lot of people are turned off.. They are turning a superhero show into a political diatribe.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      And that imo is why a lot of people are turned off.. They are turning a superhero show into a political diatribe.
                      It's a great media for that. And please elaborate on the "a lot of people are turned off". It's the CW's second biggest show, and The Flash lost more viewers from season 2 to season 3, and it's a pure vanilla superhero show.
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh, I love the political jabs so much.

Comment

By the way, to all interested parties: Chyler Leigh has just taken over Yahoo TV's Instagram. Looks like a big promotion thingy... stuff...
                          https://www.instagram.com/yahootv/

(Having there a picture of Buffy didn't help either )
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
                            I totally disagree. Smallville's inhabitants were so inherently backwards, that I just stopped watching it after Season 1. I mean come on, how many times people need to see that Clark and the what-they-called-it are never together in the same place? Or how many head injuries, pixies, wizards, warlocks and loose magic is needed for them to forget they found him out??? Ugh, rant over, sorry. At least Lois & Clark did put a lampshade on it when they called Lois the most galactically stupid person on Earth.
                            And no one has worked out that Kara and Supergirl are the same, and are never in the same place either. You can't pick on one show for it's craziness and ignore it in the other, it's ridiculous.
                            I'm not ragging on SG, I like all of the CW superhero shows (including SV, despite it's crazy antics), I am just saying it's hardly a tight, brilliant show without flaws, just like most shows on TV. It's like Stargate, it has some truly brilliant moments, but that's all they are, moments.
                            So is Supergirl contrived? I believe after watching an invincible person flying because of yellow sun the rest comes easily.
                            Being contrived is not always a bad thing you know............

Yes, this is a TV show, but particularly Alex's story, her coming out story was really true to life, I've heard many many people saying how it did hit home, how it made them relive their coming out feelings.
                            Yes, it was a great, well handled series of moments, the back and forth between Alex and Maggie, the very real concerns about acceptance that plague same sex couples, the different places they are at concerning their sexuality, the bad experience Maggie had being outed and getting over that with Alex, it's all good stuff, useful stuff and sometimes powerful stuff.

Sure, and it should be applauded for it, but that does make it immune to fair criticism, does it?

It's far from being perfect, I say that they have majorly effed up the whole Mon-hell redemption story line, and instead we got a toxic relationship, when the prince of Mysoginistia constantly fails to treat Supergirl as an equal, and she still loves him and forgives him.
                            That is painful to watch, to be sure, and a glaring example of what I am talking about.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              *hides behind Alex*

Please, don't hurt me.
                              You know me better than that
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                                You know me better than that
                                I do.

Also, I love it when Maggie tells Alex she knows about Kara and Supergirl, and how the glasses aren't really working.

I'm like -- nope, they're not.
                                However, James says at one point in season 1 that Cat won't recognize her (although I'm fairly certain she did) cause she doesn't see Kara. I mean, if you're not interesting enough people really don't pay attention to your persona.

Comment

Working...
                                X