Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hallo! Ja, Australia's a HUGE country. The accent varies lots.Keep in mind also, that on TV, the accent is over emphasised. I assume that's your first post on Gateworld congrats, where are you from?.... Don't tell me you're that noob Kidwizz!

Comment

Hallo! Ja, Australia's a HUGE country. The accent varies lots.Keep in mind also, that on TV, the accent is over emphasised. I assume that's your first post on Gateworld congrats, where are you from?.... Don't tell me you're that noob Kidwizz!
      I'm from Canada... Well, the reason i was wondering has to do with most articles i've read on the subject suggest the variation is minimal compared to US/UK English and similar compared to Canadian English in lack of variation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regiona...ralian_English
      http://eng.anarchopedia.org/Australian_English_language which mentions broad, general and cultivated?

I suppose we have accents too, but that's generally because a big chunk of us are allophones with english as a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th language...

I guess what I would consider is that Claudia Black's accent is similar to what the educate elite spoke in canada about 50 years ago, (politicians and professors) something we used to call canadian dainty... i suppose as close as you can get to the queen's english without sounding fake... Either way, i was comparing her to australian actors on australian shows like farscape or even ABC news radio since we get broadcasts on cbc every night.

Comment

Well, there are many different people of different cultural backgrounds in Australia: Germans, Dutchies, Asians ect. The main difference is between those in "Kath & Kim country" (people in the middle of nowhere) and city people. The difference between the UK's English and the US's English is larger, and the differences between areas in the US are larger. Australia generally uses the same slang nation wide. Due to isolation, accents do vary, but, actually, not much....I don't know...I haven't travelled much !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vesuvius View Post
          Is there a lot of regional variations in Australian accents? It seems that Claudia Black's accent is incredibly different from most Australians I've met or heard on TV...
          Claudia Blacks' accent is mainly from her parents or something like that. At least that's what she said in an interview I read a year or so back

Lovebar made by natz099
          My LJ * Forgotten-Secrets

Comment

Yay, another person!!

Comment

Ahha you thought you could run and hide but nowhere is safe. LOL

anyway Hope everyone Had a great Christmas and that you'll all have a terrific New Year!!!

Spoiler:
              Originally posted by Kidwizz
              ... oh crap... you mean that... that... THING (aka sil) has siblings... *runs for bunker* *locks it behind me*

oh and sil... your the n00b...
              Originally posted by Lt.Col.Errandboy
              You guys must be glad you weren't in Perth on Boxing Day - we had 44.2 degrees - hottest on record, and we were the hottest capital city on that day IN THE FRAKKING WORLD!!!

had a barbecue on the pavement, actually...
              and Btw for the fahrenheit crew, 44.2 celsius equals 111.5 fahrenheit!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
                ^Ahhh, yes! I remember your sig. Heheh lol
                Glad you enjoy it.

Happy New Year everyone.
                sigpic
                My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!

^ohh and I love your sig its hilarious

Spoiler:
                  ... oh crap... you mean that... that... THING (aka sil) has siblings... *runs for bunker* *locks it behind me*

You guys must be glad you weren't in Perth on Boxing Day - we had 44.2 degrees - hottest on record, and we were the hottest capital city on that day IN THE FRAKKING WORLD!!!

Comment

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Comment

WOOT!!

I am now a super soldier

and i changed my av from Felger to Beckett

Spoiler:

Comment

WHAT!!!??!??!?!? I wanted to green you because I managed to green the person who liked WT and greened me for that! But I can't green you Amaunet's always greening you, don't worry, I'm sure she'll be sympathetic !

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
                          and If I haven't seen Lt.Col.Errandboy here before, you're also welcome! However, if I have seen Lt.Col.Errandboy here before, he/she (too lazy to check) is not welcome and can GET LOST!!!!lol, just kidding!!!Ok, she....
                          Bloody Canberran - all that hot air in Pollyville has made you vacuous!

I've been here b'fore yeah...and stuff ya if you don't like it! ROTFLMAO!

sigpic
                          My Manips & other artwork!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Col.Errandboy View Post
                            Bloody Canberran - all that hot air in Pollyville has made you vacuous!

I've been here b'fore yeah...and stuff ya if you don't like it! ROTFLMAO!

ROTFLMAO!!! hottest on record, and we were the hottest capital city on that day IN THE FRAKKING WORLD!!! !!! I thought it was hot here! Yeah, I now remember seeing you here before.

Anyone else here HATE summer???

Comment

thats hot i think i would just want to pass out in a bath full of ice

:rofl:^^

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Kenshin View Post
                                thats hot i think i would just want to pass out in a bath full of ice

:rofl:^^

I'd put cordial in there so you'd become all sticky, then I'd put a bomb on you, which ( because of the stickiness) could not be taken off

Comment

Working...
                                X