X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An analysis of the Ori religion of Origin

Purpose

The purpose of Origin is to control. It's how they keep the masses in line and get the followers to further their power-hungry purposes. As a result, it is proselytising, dogmatic and focuses of the reward of ascension for those who hallow the Ori.

Origin is a very, very proselytising religion. Those who don't convert should die according to the teachers of Origin. One of the central tenets of the faith is that it is the duty of all faithful to convert or kill the unbelievers.

The dogma of Origin claims that the Ori created all and dismisses any claims to the contrary. It forces its followers to automatically reject anthing that might contradict Origin.

Origin is also built around the promise of the Ori that all faithful that worship them will be ascended when they die. This gives the followers of Origin something to look forward too and also removes their fear of death.

Priors

The Priors are, according to the book of Origin, "beacons on the road to enlightenment". They enforce the will of the Ori directly, keeping the religion under control.

The Priors have the ability to perform 'miracles'. They use this ability to show others the power of the Ori and force them to convert. They also use 'miracles' as a way of keeping the believers undoubting of the Ori.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
      That's because the Lantiens, who returned from the Pegasis Galaxy, found Earth in the Greek/Roman Times & influenced our religion & thought to there beliefs. Alternas=Good=Light=Angels/Heaven & Ori=Bad=Fire=Demons/Hell.
      So, the writers have infact, explained most of todays religions.

On a note, fire isn't always destrucive is it? It also gives warmth & cooks food, therefore rids us of germs.
      So our Ancients appear in a warm white glow because of how they influenced Greco-Roman beliefs? I'm sorry, but that does not sound completely correct.

That true (regarding fire)... Daniel made a statement about that somewhere.

Mattathias

Comment

An In-Depth Analysis of the Ori Religion of Origin

The Ori
        Priors
        Book of Origin
        Ascension (enlightenment)
        The path of Origin
        Society under Origin
        Attitudes of Origin

The Ori
        The Ori are central to Origin. The Ori created all and according to Origin, down the path of Origin so that others could follow them to enlightenment. Origin demands that the Ori must be worshiped and that all must bow down and submit to their will.

"Life and death. Light and darkness. Hope and despair. The rift was created, and on that day, the Ori were born. But the hatred of those who strayed from the true path festered and bloomed in the dark corners of the Avernakis to which they had been cast! And consumed by this hatred, they poisoned all they touched, bringing death, darkness and despair. And the souls of their victims knew no peace, until the Ori came and whispered to them: "sleep, for the end draws near!" And on that day, all will rejoice, when the Ori come and lay them low."

Priors
        Priors are "beacons on the road to enlightenment". Priors are the enforcers of the will of the Ori and spread the word of the Ori to those who do not know of Origin. Priors can perform 'miracles', which they use to show the power of the Ori.

The Book of Origin
        The Book of Origin is another central aspect to Origin. The Book of Origin is the 'manual' of Origin, telling followers what the Ori require of them. The Ori path to enlightenment is laid out in the book of Origin.

Enlightenment
        Origin claims to be a 'path to enlightenment'. The Ori promise that they will ascend their followers when they die, to join them in elightenment. They claim that the Alterans are evil for not sharing the secrets of enlightenment with those beneath them and that the Ori wish to share their knowlage of the universe; all they ask is that believers follow the path that they have laid out.

The Path of Origin
        Origin is the religion of the Ori. The Ori use it to gain followers and power. The Ori claim that Origin is the path to enlightenment and that all who follow it will be rewarded with enlightenment when they die.

Origin demands worship of the Ori and the belief that the Ori created all. The icon of Origin is fire: symbolising heat and warmth.

The followers of Origin perform a cerimony called 'Prostration' regularly. Prostration involves worship of the Ori by chanting "all hallow the Ori" and "hallowed are the Ori". Prostration is presided over by the village administrators. Prostration can last a very long time.

A central tenet of Origin is that those who do not follow the path must be converted or destroyed. Is is the duty of a believer to convert or kill an unbeliever.

"Those who reject the path to enlightenment must be destroyed."

Society Under Origin
        Societies following Origin are governed by village administrators. Administrators run the village and preside over various Origin ceremonies. Administrators have a lot of power under Origin. They control their village making sure that the populace does not waver from the path and directing the duties of the village.

Followers of Origin are keen to root out heresy. Each Ori village has a stone structure called an Ara at it's center where heretics and unbelievers are chained and punishment is meted out. In an execution, flaming oil is poured onto the Ara and slowly channeled towards the condemned who are burned to death.

Ori follower level of society is similar to medieval Europe. They are kept at that level of technology to ensure loyalty but are given advanced capabilities by the Ori to kill the unbelievers when they need it. They are taught to depend on the Ori and not think for themselves.

Attitudes of Origin
        Origin dictates that the Ori will provide for their followers in return for unquestioning faith. Doubt is a concept which is alien the followers of Origin.

"Ours is not to question, but to rejoice in their service, for they are perfection."

The Book of Origin says that "Adelenus chose to hunt the lion and was eaten by his prey" I interpret this to mean that Adelenus was a fool to choose to hunt the lion. You must accept the consequences of your own actions. As a result of this you must let the Ori make your choices for you, for "they are perfection" and if you let the Ori guide you you cannot go wrong.

The Ori allow redemption. If you truly repent your sins and return to the path then you will be forgiven.

"Amica strayed from the path of enlightenment. He was forgiven, and was allowed back on the path."

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
          So our Ancients appear in a warm white glow because of how they influenced Greco-Roman beliefs? I'm sorry, but that does not sound completely correct.

That true (regarding fire)... Daniel made a statement about that somewhere.

Mattathias
          Yeah, It doesn't make complete sense, but I think that's what Daniel said, or could be infered from what he said. & It's actually: They influenced Greco-Roman beliefs because our Ancients appear in a warm white glow, not the other way around. It may not be completly correct, but TPTB are in the retcon stage, where they're rewiting the history of the Ancients, so we've got facts from before the retcon merging with half-facts from after the retcon, so their are bound to be HUGE errors!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
            Has anyone ever heard of Origen?
            Do you mean Origen of Alexandria? One of the great early Christian philosophers? Yep, heard of him.
            -

Comment

From the looks of it the Book of Origin is a tome archetypal good news stories like Noah's Arc, the parting of the seas, Humpty Dumpty... similiar content to the Koran and Holy Bible.

Comment

Hiya all, does anyone know where you can get The Book of Origin?

or if anyone knows what is in it?

Comment

there is no actually book that fans can get just props that the series uses
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

you mean to tell me that with all the knolage of the gaters noone has comeup with The Book of Origin?

how can i follow the path?

Comment

Originally posted by essexgunner2003
                      you mean to tell me that with all the knolage of the gaters noone has comeup with The Book of Origin?

how can i follow the path?
                      Trust me, give it time. I'm sure someone will.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

lol i bet

Comment

Originally posted by essexgunner2003
                          lol i bet
                          Definitely, that's something I'd bet money on. Maybe by the end of this season, even.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

we here in the UK has a cencus (sorry cant spell to save my life, big survey of everybody in the UK to find out stuff like where they lived, who they prayed to etc) and loads of people were trying to get Jedi to be a religion, would love to make Ori a real one with real Priors lol. I would go along with it.
                            why not makes more sense than anything we have at the mo

Comment

In Australia our last census I believe Jedi was an accepted religion...
                              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

lol really? thats so sad and cool at the same time lol

Comment

Working...
                                X