Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask Martin Gero - Spoilers for SGA (S1, S2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartinGero
    We never accept spec scripts from anyone…it’s just the way we have to work considering all the legal ramifications.

The only way you can get to be a writer on the show is if you have a writing agent. We let agents know when we’re looking for another staff writer or just some original episode idea’s (usually in January when we’re gearing up.) Your agent will submit a sample of your work, and if we like it, we’ll invite you to pitch some story ideas.

If you pitch an idea we like, you’re usually sent to write an outline and if you ace that, you get to write a draft. Now, if your draft is kick ass and we need another staff writer, you get hired.

That’s how I got here.

So, yes, I think it would be a waste of time for you to write a spec script and send it in. You’d just get a form letter back saying we don’t read unsolicited material. If your interested in becoming a professional writer, look into getting an agent…it’s very hard to get started without one.
    Thanks, Martin, that's very helpful information. I know, it wasn't my question you were answering there, but I just found that post as I was reading through this thread. You know, I'm not only the guy who created that virtual spin off series, I actually am a writer, and as I'm posting this (so to speak) I'm in the process of getting an agent. I've been talking to some network people recently, but obviously if I could choose I'd like to write for Stargate...that is for one of the television shows. So once you are looking for some additional staff writers or hiring freelance writers, I'll definitely have to make sure my agent will get in touch with you. January of next year would be perfect timing.

I know this is a question thread, so I've been thinking long and hard about which of the many questions I have I should ask, and here are some of them:

1. How serious are the talks that we'll very soon be actually meeting the Furlings? Are there really plans for that? I personally think it could be interesting learning a bit more about the four race alliance.

2. If there are plans for the Furlings, are they going to be human-like or are they going to have a completely different kind of look, or can that information not yet be revealed?

3. And this has just been asked, but I'd also be very interesting to know what each of the uniform colors officially stand for. Especially red and green, since I'm not sure about those.

Thanks in advance.
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Now that Atlantis may/will be having regular contact with Earth, will there be a steady stream of recreational stuff coming through the gate? (Ping ping tables, pinball/arcade machines, BEER etc etc)

Comment

In before/sleep they were given 5 address's to where there were ZPM's. Why did they not go after all of them in the time before the Wraith came to Atlantis? Or did they not have enough time?
        Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
          Hi Martin, thanks for taking the time out to answer questions here. I think it's grand that yourself and Joe are willing to spend time doing this...

Anyway, the questions.

1. Are we going to be seeing some of the main characters' back stories this coming season? We heard about Shep's black mark and past disobedience, and also McKay being shipped off to the a-hole of nowhere...but nothing that really connects them to their past...

2. Who would be your dream guest star for Atlantis, and what role would you have them play??

3. Since we're sort of interviewing you here, put the situation in reverse - what three questions, given the chance, would you most like to ask a Stargate fan???
          1. Yes. As we do more seasons, we’ll have the time to not only focus on where our characters are going, but where they have been…and how it informs who they are today.

2. We were talking briefly about an episode that would guest star someone like Rickey Gervais…we would never get him, but he’s just about my favorite person working in TV right now.

3. I’ll have to think about that one…

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
            I thought I read somewhere that Mitch Pileggi was going to be a regular on the show(could be wrong about that)--wouldn't that put him above Shep in the chain of command? If so, will Atlantis be militarized with his arrival? And if it is militarized, what will happen to Weir?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused now (nothing new there I'm afraid lol)

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions btw! And thanks for attending the GW dinner!
            I could give you a long answer to that question…but you should really just watch the second episode of season two: “The Intruder”...all of those issues will be dealt with.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
              Hi Martin, fan from Norway here with a couple of questions.

First, how come every Atlantis episode you've written rocked? Hmm, nevermind, no need to waste your time answering that (but it needed to be said!).

Anyway, in an earlier post here you said:
              My question is this: Was Ford being "reduced" to a recurring character done to serve the plot, or was the plot written this way because he will be a recurring character?
              Thanks Pig, glad you like my eps.

At the end of last season we had a big three day post mortem where we talked about what worked last year, what didn’t and what we wanted to do for season 2. For reasons too numerous to go into, Ford’s character was under developed and needed reinvention. We came up with a very cool arch for him, one that both the writers and Rainbow were excited with…but it meant reducing his presence in season two. That’s all I want to say right now, you’ll see it play out this season, but we’re very happy with the change and Rainbow is going a great job in his new role.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                Hi from Scotland!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not going to ask any specific questions for a while (I'm a spoiler free zone for Atlantis season 2) but I've got one I'd like to ask just now.

What's the most rewarding aspect of being a writer for Stargate?

Sorry if it's been asked before, but I've only skimmed the thread.

Thank you
                The coolest thing about working on a show like this, is having an idea about a set or a prop one week, seeing a sketch of that idea the next week, and being able to hold that prop or walk through that set a week later. It’s kinda mind blowing.

Comment

Originally posted by OORAH_DEVILDOG_USMC
                  I have a question that I hope you still have time to answer Mr. Gero. One that I and many other of my fellow Marines would like to have answered. Why were the Marines that stepped out of the gate in the Siege part 2, wearing maroon berets? Was that the costume designers idea or did the writers suggest how the Marines should look before hand?
                  That was a costumes call.

Comment

Originally posted by Klorel
                    Thank you SO MUCH for answering our questions.

1.Will we see any other Ancient ships in Season 2? Like a mother ship?.
                    2.Will the question of where ZMPs come from be addressed?

I have only speed read these pages so sorry if this has been covered
                    1. Yes...Atlantis is the mothership, so to speak, but we will see some ships that are bigger than a Puddle Jumper.

2. Not early on at least...

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                      Hi Martin. Welcome!

We've heard a lot about the Vancouver convention. What was the experience like for you? And why did several people from the shows recognize ShadowMa'at and Shipperahoy?
                      I had a great time giving tours and meeting some of the Gate World people…you guys are the reason we do the show and we always look forward to spending time with you…unfortunately, because of our schedule, we rarely get to cons that aren’t in Vancouver.

As to why people recognized ShadowMa'at and Shipperahoy, you’d have to ask them.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                        hello, welcome to the forum, glad you have taken time out to answer some questions for those fan who are dying to have them answered( me!)
                        my question to you are as follows:

1) are any guest stars or old characters from sg-1 going to show up in S2 of atlantis, for example the furlings, or perhaps the grace aliens?

2) are there goign to be any new ships introduced during S2, aurora i believe is said to be centred around this topic, any way you could tell us the size, small(fighter) medium ( transport) or large ( mothership/warship )?

3)will the wraith develop more of a backstory or history that expands beyond culling and destoying?

4) in the defiant one the wraith used some kind of shield technology, is it ancient ( a feature of the PJ) or wraith, if its wraith will our weapons be suppior ( siege part 3)?

5) will the planet atlantis resides on have any secrets of its own, sea creatures, acid water, paracidical sea snakes!?

6) will at any point the mythology behind the legend of atlantis be investigated, and in particular relating to the question above, will the leviathon be introduced as a pest or new foe, perhaps a security measure th ancient put in place when they sank the city?

7) will the ZPM, if we get one ( im praying here, can u clear that up), enable us to send the database knowledge to earth, ascension research would help, given our new 'situation'?

8) will the ZPM enable the team to utilitse new feature of the ancient city be utilised for short peroid or us to see what the city is really capable of, a cloak for example or maybe an engine to let it move or float closer/ on to the mainland for extra protection?

9) if an asgard team member/ representative is stationed at atlantis will he be under wiers comand, and will he be a normal scientist and have to answer/correct macay on a day to day basis?

i understand some of these may have been asked before, but please answer in as much detail as your allowed! thank you.
                        1. You’ll have to wait and see…(no Furlings…sorry)

2. Yes, the Aurora is a big Ancient ship (medium, I guess)

3. Yes! A big part of this season is learning more about the Wraith and there back story.

4. The Wraith have some pretty advanced tech. But remember, the Ancients won because the Wraith over powered and out numbered them…Ancients still have the better gear...we just have to figure out how to use it.

5. You’ll have to wait and see…but probably, it’s a pretty big planet.

6. See above.

7. If we were to get one, sending the Database would be very difficult because of it’s massive size.

8. If we get one…we’ll be able to take advantage of some new features, yes.

9. There will not be an Asgard stationed on Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                          Are there any plans to explore the Pegasus Galaxy Stargates themselves? There is an obvious diffrence in appearance from the Milky Way and Ida Galaxy Stargates.

Owen Macri
                          We’ve talked about an episode about that, yeah, but we’re still trying to find the exciting story that has to do with it…we’ll see.

Comment

Originally posted by DJFavorite
                            Hi Martin!! Glad to see you joining us here. It was great to meet you at the GW dinner.

Ok, I hope I can say this right.

In "The Brotherhood" Sheppard mentions he took the Mensa test and it surprised McKay. I've used the different between how those two show their intelligence differently to teach my son how not to act when he does well on a test at school - not to brag. (I ask him if he's acting like McKay or Shep.)

Are we going to see Shep outdo McKay in the "smart" thinking every once in a while in season 2? I'd love to have more examples to throw at my son.
                            Yeah...they'll be more of that in season 2...especially in an episosde called "Trinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                              Will the planet that Atlantis is currently situated on be given a name? Could you maybe slip it to us?

Owen Macri
                              Lantia.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasCarter
                                My dearest Martin Gero,

I say dearest because I truly have the deepest respect for you and all the writers having anything to do with the Stargate world.

That aside, I must say that the season finale of Atlantis (as impressive it was) made me take a step back at how the Marine Corps was portrayed...the stargate opens and here comes the Marine Corps to save the day--wearing RED BERRETTS...now I was in the Marine Corps and I'm pretty sure that no unit in the Corps wears those things...only the Army and maybe the Air Force...but NOT the Marine Corps...

So here are my questions...

--Who is your technical advisor for the show? (hint hint, you need to fire them!)

--Are there legal bindings that prevent anyone but the main characters wearing the proper uniform?

--When writing an episode, are the technical advisors consulted in the process or just on the set as things are happening?

I hope this doesn't come across too arrogantly...that wasn't my intent...
                                but just the same, thankyou for endulging a Jarhead.

S/F

Thomas Carter
                                I’ve gotten a couple of questions about this…so I might as well go on and admit the truth:

There is a super secret division of Marines that you most likely have not heard about. They are dispatched to deal with extraordinary circumstances…and they wear red berets.

Comment

Working...
                                X