This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
    I recently read that "Lucy" was demoted to containing part of a baboon, "she" was NOT any form of missing human link at all. (Article in spoiler quote also has link to New Scientist article.)
    Spoiler:
    "Why was a baboon bone found in Lucy's skeleton?"
    By Ellie Zolfagharifard For Dailymail.com

Published: 17:52 EST, 10 April 2015, Updated: 03:10 EST, 16 April 2015

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...rly-human.html

So, if that is true, Lucy is NOT part of a monkey family's evolutionary ancestor link to any human living now.
    Did you bother to read the part that even if a baboon bone was found, it in no way diminishes the find?
    Did you bother to read the part where they are talking millions of years ago, which sorta blows any credence in the young earth theory, or the notion that the bible is any kind of accurate record?
    Can't have one gotcha without the other one really.
    Next item . . . ----

I needed to quote some of the original *context* of this comment--
    as the discussion was about what happens after a person dies...

Piecing this info together is difficult, because it's all over the place!

You just said "there is NO LIFE AFTER DEATH". So, that means regardless of your human form's living body age, your "life" in the "here and now" will be shorter than those who hope to be living out an eternal life. . . having a more Life after death, that is.
    From your own perspective, once your human body dies, that's it. You ARE Gonzo. Puff. No more.
    So, in that sense, "life is very short".
    Your point is?

Whether or not your earthly human life is 2 days or 20 years or 200 trillion years, that is "a short life" in terms of looking at eternity. As being understood from an "Eternal measurement" POV, it is less than a nanosecond, if that much. If eternity was a straight or curvy, scribbly line, or even an infinity loop--repeating within its own path over and over and over-- eternity from here forward will never end. At least with 100 years, time measurements can be easily divided. Eternal measurements cannot be measured within our limited minds, because eternity goes beyond our methods of comprehension.
    You are missing the point.
    Others do not think, nor believe like you.
    My dad died at the age of 56.7 years. If that's all he lived, and is thus no more, that is a mighty *short* life. My mom lived 20 years longer than he did. But even with only 75 years in her human body existence, if there was/is no eternity to look forward to, then she too, had a very short lifespan.
    In other words, if generic you plan on living for XYZ number of years, and then die, and then nothing happens outside of the body decaying, you ARE gone forever aftermore. That's a short life in my POV. Too short. And if you want to live watching your body shrivel up as you get older and your bones begin to creak and cartilage disintegrates and makes snap,crackle,popping sounds along the way, well, if you do wake up in an eternal world after your human body dies, what will you look like? Some new enhanced energy form? ...or Dust?
    You are born, you live, you die. Your opinion on what happens after is no more or less valid than anyone elses. FH seems to be content with her view, what does it matter?
    Are you so afraid of death that you cannot accept it?
    A song I grew up with reflects upon this *dusty* existence of ours---
    ". . . all we are, is DUST in the Wind..." (Lyrics sung by musical group "Kansas")

Well, that's what happens to the human part of the body after it dies. It turns to DUST and gets blown away into the wind. Physical dust particles scattered to the proverbial four corners of the universe.
    Yes, to become new things, to be incorporated into new structures, new beings, to feed others and create new life. Is that not a form of eternal life?
    What you are really afraid of, is the loss of -self-, to not be "you" as you understand "you", and that is what god offers, and it is a very seductive and powerful thing.
    So, where does the former human named "Falcon Horus" or "SGalisa" or "SoulReaver" energy/soul part go?
    Who says there is an energy or soul?
    Your beliefs do, but not everyone shares them.

Sidenote---Some Bible scholars believe the soul's *energy/breath of life-force goes back or returns to the "Spirit" from which it came from in the first place. If true, does it get morphed back into where it came out of, or stay as an individual entity, which has been given a Life/soul from the Spirit entity (the *eternal* Entity's power of existence, etc.)..?
    Again, you concern yourself with the individual. If this theory is correct, then what made "you", "you" will no longer exist, so bye bye eternal -individual- life.

So, how do you explain your brain's existence being capable of having a sense of individuality, plus being able to compute complex thoughts and formulas, let alone say or write the very words in the above quote?

If the brain is simply a bunch of biological ganglia and neuro-transmitters, how can all that mushy matter + electrical impulses *think*..? How is it capable of dreaming either in its awake cycle or sleep cycle? hmmm...?

Please, if anyone can answer this in easy to understand layman's terms, not scientific gobbly-gook, please do so. *thanks!!*
    BTW---The Bible has a simple answer -- God designed it that way and made it possible.
    Simple answer?
    We don't know yet, and it is as valid an answer as "god did it". In fact it is more valid because it makes no assumptions based on faith that we have the capacity to answer the question.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Using below spoiler quote for space...

If you're going to be sarcastic or mock "God" and how He/It communicates with His creation, (generic) you will not get "the" answer -- that fits your preconceived idea of what this It persona entity is. Similar to a caring parent trying to gently teach their child "proper" manners, if true to form, that same caring parent will not respond to the mockery of a sassy/sarcastic child, until the child starts to fully listen to its parent in a manner that is acceptable to mom, dad, guardian, or teacher.
      Do what you are told kid, cause I am your daddy.
      Jeremiah 29:13 and Jeremiah 33:3 already gave you the answer.
      How does God speak? Mostly in signs and signals. Sometimes via an event or situation that occurs -- one particular outcome expected or an alternate outcome instead. Sometimes there is *that* still, calm, quiet inner voice (intuition), which is similar to feeling a gentle breeze instead of a damaging tornado.
      If the message received is in agreement with the biblical scriptures, it will be obvious if it is coming from God's *written* word (the Bible) or some other spirit/entity.
      God did not write the bible, at least not the bible you read. I don't know how many people have brought this up only to have it ignored by the bell ringers.

I have an annoying waterfall story on how NOT to pray (to God/TPTB!), because I wasn't being *specific* enough in what I was asking for. Actually, I wasn't expecting anything, but learned a good lesson from experiencing it. Also, need to note that from the moment I *thought* of the waterfall thingy, it took years before I saw the answer manifested into something physical. And *Details* means EVERYTHING --- worlds of difference when lacking certain specifics in details. Plus, I didn't realize it was actually a prayer or even a conversation I made towards any *entity* -- somewhere "out there".
      That entity could have been anything. You could be fulfilling the will of Lucifer for all you know............
      sigpic

Comment

I believe that when we die all the energy that keeps our brain and nervous system going and makes our mind and personality dissipates back into the background noise that is the universe. We came from there and when we die we go back.
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
          I believe that when we die all the energy that keeps our brain and nervous system going and makes our mind and personality dissipates back into the background noise that is the universe. We came from there and when we die we go back.
          That's nonsense. When you die you become bacon so you can be divinely awesome.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            That's nonsense. When you die you become bacon so you can be divinely awesome.
            The eternal circle of bacon.
            (Simba was so much tastier as a pig, lions are so stringy.........)
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              Simple answer?
              We don't know yet, and it is as valid an answer as "god did it". In fact it is more valid because it makes no assumptions based on faith that we have the capacity to answer the question.
              "We don't know yet" isn't an answer. So how can it be a more valid answer if it isn't an answer? Plaipitem isn't a color. But can I say that Plaipitem is a better looking color than blue?
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Firstly, sorry for the length.
                ...sometimes I wonder if my noggin is being challenged just to see how deep those details can really go... (just teasing!)

Simple answer?
                If you had stopped at "We don't know yet" I could agree and believe that as a reasonable enough answer. But to add that (believers claiming and saying) "god did it" is less valid than what all of us see as physical proof in the visible universe around us -- is a wrong or incorrect answer.

(From my POV) Both answers are just as valid as each other, because scientists are only beginning to understand and actually see what has remained *hidden* to our nekked eye vision in both the macroscopic and super-electron microscopic world -- which has always existed all around us, except we didn't have the proper *corrective* lenses to see what was right there in front of us and hidden out of view until we put that corrective eyewear on whatever instrumental device made it possible to see what we failed to see before. Case in point -- Hubble telescope peering at those twinkling dots/stars in the night sky and showing us some of them are actually entire galaxies! I've said that before.

Spirit sensitive folks *feel* other dimensions of living entities, which most normally non-spirit sensitive people cannot comprehend on any level. "Seeing is believing" is the motto of non-spirit sensitive folks. Thus, Kirlian photography is a method for science to show how energy projections or auras flow forth from various objects, both inanimate and living creatures. Just because the natural nekked eye cannot *see* this energy aura does NOT mean it does not exist, because it has been proven to exist! Ultraviolet, Gamma rays, and x-rays results can only be seen/viewed by using special equipment -- but just because our natural eyes cannot physically see these things does not NEGATE their existence. We just have the wrong perception eyewear equipment in use.

So, without going on and on with other examples, just because we cannot see other dimensions that "seem" to be invisible to our natural vision, does not translate that they do NOT exist. Perhaps this is the way it is with "God" and *His* presence. For all we know, He could be 2 inches from our faces and we'd never know it, because we lack the proper equipment to view or *sense* His existence.

PS-- ultraviolet lighting is really cool, because when viewing some mineral exhibits -- various minerals show up as amazing colors when the special lighting reveals what range of fluorescent color shows up in that particular mineral (time to say "Ooooooooo" and "ahhhhhh!" or "oh WOW!!!!!!").
                (Just for the nit-picky--- My terminology above was written in layman terms, not in geologist lingo.)

Next... regarding "Lucy" . . .
                Did you bother to read the part that even if a baboon bone was found, it in no way diminishes the find?
                Yes. I also read a reader's comment that maybe the baboon bone was from digested food that "Lucy" ate. Makes perfect sense to me..!
                Also, only about 40% of Lucy's skeletal structure has been reconstructed, so far. That equals approximately 60% missing data.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976
                Did you bother to read the part where they are talking millions of years ago, which sorta blows any credence in the young earth theory, or the notion that the bible is any kind of accurate record?
                Can't have one gotcha without the other one really.
                Yes, I read about the millions and millions of years. Something which is *forced* on most of us school kids to read and repeat back on scholastic tests, just to get passing grades. That doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Just read and absorb, rinse, repeat process. Maybe that kind of millions and millions of years *idea* is exciting to you, but until I hear from the creator/*source* -- see or hear in detail what "really happened" I'll be a doubting Thomasina for the rest of my earthly, human life.

I read somewhere that a new island volcano can fully form within 50 to 100 years into a habitable island, where it is discovered to be teeming with both plant and animal life. No *millions* and *millions* of years waiting time there.

Ugh. I have to break this post into more postings, since my reply here is very long.
                TBC . . .
                Last edited by SGalisa; 29 August 2015, 02:30 PM. Reason: fix typo

Comment

continued...

Your point is?
                  Exactly what I said. For a refresher to the quote (original in reply to FH)---
                  You just said "there is NO LIFE AFTER DEATH". So, that means regardless of your human form's living body age ...
                  From your own perspective, once your human body dies, that's it. You ARE Gonzo. Puff. No more.
                  So, in that sense, "life is very short".

Again, you concern yourself with the individual. If this theory is correct, then what made "you", "you" will no longer exist, so bye bye eternal -individual- life.
                  If anyone wants to believe in a dead end road exists at the end of our path in our current, living - breathing - "moving on its own" human body, so be it. Life is going to be short. In humanity's limited average lifespan's *standard* terms, life was even shorter for anyone who may have wanted but ended up with having a long and healthy life robbed from them. Lifespans for human beings within standard reason (even if up to 200 years) seems extremely limited and harsh. At least I am trying to express compassion and empathy towards those who are no longer living, and *believe* they have an extended life in a different world of reality. What do they have now? Nothing? Or something? And exactly what is that something, if it does truly exist?

Maybe whoever finds their biological composition being absorbed into universe as being unique and exciting; but to me, personally, it's a seriously empty life/future. NOT something my current existence is eager to look forward to. The Thinking and feeling part of (generic) *You* ceases to exist. End of living. Crushed up and perhaps stepped on dust. Simulating Eternal Sleep(??) but No more awesome dreams, no ability to see or touch amazing wonders, no nothing ever again. Poof. Gone.

However, all *nightmares* and bad memories can be left behind, tho.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I live in the here and now, enjoying as much as possible, so that when I have reached the end I can say to myself what a life I had. It might or might not have been wonderful, but I got to witness some awesome things in my life and I got to be part of history even if no one will remember me ...
                  I hope for those who were conscious of their existence, that they enjoyed it to the fullest while they lived it.
                  And for those that took their own lives, I hope they found peace, which I might add, does not mean I believe in a life after death.

And those that weren't yet conscious or aware of their existence... well, that's a philosophical question I have no desire to delve into at the moment.

FH seems to be content with her view, what does it matter?
                  That's nice for her, from probably hers and your (GF) POV. However, I'm not writing this just as a reply to her comment(s). I do realize there are other people reading these forum topics, so I try to keep an open mind/ear to provide other readers with alternative POV's -- the how's and why's on what may make those issues work or not. (= wink, wink!)

You are missing the point.
                  Others do not think, nor believe like you.
                  No, I am not missing the point. You (GF) seem to speak in absolutes, whereas my POV is reduced to hypotheticals from how I am understanding a *non-believer's* POV (that includes other "religions" too in here).

Again, I can guess where most of the folks reading and replying to these topics are coming from. But try to remember that while we who are writing these things on this topic, are not the only persons reading. I, too, read other web forums and informative news articles with additional reader comments, but do not personally communicate in any of those places. So, perhaps there are other people, not members at GW who discovered this topic/thread and are reading it.
                  So, perhaps not everyone thinks as you (GF) and other readers or commentators do, either.
                  BINGO.

Who says there is an energy or soul?
                  Ahem. Kirlian photography shows *energy* auras exist in both humans and plants. Since minerals also radiate energy, does that make the ground alive as well? I'm not saying it does, but do our bodies radiate energy auras only because of our biological and mineral composition, or is there something else existing that determines the presence of a soul? Hint--ganglion brain matter.

By laws of anything, our complex brain blobs shouldn't be able to think or speak, or even enable us move independently on our own. A blob of matter is just that -- a blob -- no conscience, no thought process, no nothing. It exists as a pile of goo, yet that same blob of goo, liquids and minerals is a walking, talking, breathing, and communicating persona engaging in conversations that shouldn't even exist in the blob realm.

Yet, even as the ancient writer records and declares to (God) and about God's *handiwork* in
                  Psalm 139:14 (New American Standard Bible (NASB))
                  "I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well."

I'd say the same process works in transmitting binary numbers and data from computer languages to show pictures, words, and other wonders on a video screen that us *unlearned* folks just take for granted that such a system actually works. Go find the geek who made it work or someone who can fix computer/equipment when the stupid thing(s) breaks down. Many of us computer *dummies* do not comprehend how such technology works, but just because we cannot see the data conversions into other forms does not mean the thing that makes the conversion work does not exist -- because we know it DOES exist.

So, the same process *may* be true with God. As to how S/HE can see a zillion different events as well as seeing, hearing, and responding even in the dark --- and all at the same time, well, perhaps S/HE is sort of similar to our internet/web connections.
                  (CASE IN POINT)--- Many of us internet users cannot see the main computer, or its visible *source* location, and how it processes such amazing marvels, but we *know* it exists, or we wouldn't be able to communicate and interact with each other with this method.

With a large enough storage space and a powerful enough instrument, a billion people can access the same computer all at the same time with different pieces of information coming and going all at the same time in different locations. Maybe God is web/energy *wired* up the same way, but is a living entity doing this, NOT a piece of computer technology. ...Just a thought on that *alternative* POV...

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                    "We don't know yet" isn't an answer. So how can it be a more valid answer if it isn't an answer? Plaipitem isn't a color. But can I say that Plaipitem is a better looking color than blue?
                    Of course it is an answer, and without proof it is the only answer you can give. You can answer with faith, but you cannot prove your claim without relying on circular logic.
                    sigpic

Comment

If you had stopped at "We don't know yet" I could agree and believe that as a reasonable enough answer. But to add that (believers claiming and saying) "god did it" is less valid than what all of us see as physical proof in the visible universe around us -- is a wrong or incorrect answer.
                      See my answer to Tood.

(From my POV) Both answers are just as valid as each other, because scientists are only beginning to understand and actually see what has remained *hidden* to our nekked eye vision in both the macroscopic and super-electron microscopic world -- which has always existed all around us, except we didn't have the proper *corrective* lenses to see what was right there in front of us and hidden out of view until we put that corrective eyewear on whatever instrumental device made it possible to see what we failed to see before. Case in point -- Hubble telescope peering at those twinkling dots/stars in the night sky and showing us some of them are actually entire galaxies! I've said that before.
                      Anyone can view those images, it requires no faith.
                      Spirit sensitive folks *feel* other dimensions of living entities, which most normally non-spirit sensitive people cannot comprehend on any level. "Seeing is believing" is the motto of non-spirit sensitive folks. Thus, Kirlian photography is a method for science to show how energy projections or auras flow forth from various objects, both inanimate and living creatures. Just because the natural nekked eye cannot *see* this energy aura does NOT mean it does not exist, because it has been proven to exist! Ultraviolet, Gamma rays, and x-rays results can only be seen/viewed by using special equipment -- but just because our natural eyes cannot physically see these things does not NEGATE their existence. We just have the wrong perception eyewear equipment in use.
                      The "aura's" produced by Kirlian Photography shows the plasma discharge from ionised water, not a person's Aura. As for UV/X-ray/Gamma etc, again, everyone can see it with the "right glasses" on. Could science one day detect God? Sure, until then, we have no proof that we can share with all, so we don't know.
                      So, without going on and on with other examples, just because we cannot see other dimensions that "seem" to be invisible to our natural vision, does not translate that they do NOT exist. Perhaps this is the way it is with "God" and *His* presence. For all we know, He could be 2 inches from our faces and we'd never know it, because we lack the proper equipment to view or *sense* His existence.
                      Except for those who claim they can -now-, yet cannot prove it. Even that is not really a problem, because people are free to believe and have faith in what they wish. That does not however give them the right to shape and enforce social policy based on that faith or beliefs, That is where the problems start.
                      Next... regarding "Lucy" . . .

Yes. I also read a reader's comment that maybe the baboon bone was from digested food that "Lucy" ate. Makes perfect sense to me..!
                      Also, only about 40% of Lucy's skeletal structure has been reconstructed, so far. That equals approximately 60% missing data.
                      Correct, so you must see why I doubt using that as "evidence"

Yes, I read about the millions and millions of years. Something which is *forced* on most of us school kids to read and repeat back on scholastic tests, just to get passing grades. That doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Just read and absorb, rinse, repeat process. Maybe that kind of millions and millions of years *idea* is exciting to you, but until I hear from the creator/*source* -- see or hear in detail what "really happened" I'll be a doubting Thomasina for the rest of my earthly, human life.
                      Read, absorb, rinse, repeat........
                      Sounds like quoting a textbook.
                      You can doubt it all you wish, that is your choice SG, but that what is taught in schools because it is the -most likely answer- given the information we have, and it plays to no one faith.

I read somewhere that a new island volcano can fully form within 50 to 100 years into a habitable island, where it is discovered to be teeming with both plant and animal life. No *millions* and *millions* of years waiting time there.
                      Evolution is a long process. If the new island was inhabited by currently existing plant and animal life, I would not be surprised at such a short timespan because evolution would not be a factor.
                      sigpic

Comment

continued...

If anyone wants to believe in a dead end road exists at the end of our path in our current, living - breathing - "moving on its own" human body, so be it. Life is going to be short. In humanity's limited average lifespan's *standard* terms, life was even shorter for anyone who may have wanted but ended up with having a long and healthy life robbed from them. Lifespans for human beings within standard reason (even if up to 200 years) seems extremely limited and harsh.
                        Yes, life is short, make the most of it. Life can also be cruel and capricious, true.
                        At least I am trying to express compassion and empathy towards those who are no longer living, and *believe* they have an extended life in a different world of reality. What do they have now? Nothing? Or something? And exactly what is that something, if it does truly exist?
                        That is not entirely true though, is it.
                        These "spirits" will have been judged by God, and depending on that judgement, may not entirely appreciate their newfound immortality.

Maybe whoever finds their biological composition being absorbed into universe as being unique and exciting; but to me, personally, it's a seriously empty life/future. NOT something my current existence is eager to look forward to. The Thinking and feeling part of (generic) *You* ceases to exist. End of living. Crushed up and perhaps stepped on dust. Simulating Eternal Sleep(??) but No more awesome dreams, no ability to see or touch amazing wonders, no nothing ever again. Poof. Gone.
                        Quite possibly true.
                        Poof, gone.
                        That's nice for her, from probably hers and your (GF) POV. However, I'm not writing this just as a reply to her comment(s). I do realize there are other people reading these forum topics, so I try to keep an open mind/ear to provide other readers with alternative POV's -- the how's and why's on what may make those issues work or not. (= wink, wink!)
                        I like the subtle "you have a closed mind GF" in these two posts, it is amusing.

No, I am not missing the point. You (GF) seem to speak in absolutes
                        Really?
                        What absolutes have I used?
                        , whereas my POV is reduced to hypotheticals from how I am understanding a *non-believer's* POV (that includes other "religions" too in here).
                        why is "religions" in quotation marks?
                        Again, I can guess where most of the folks reading and replying to these topics are coming from. But try to remember that while we who are writing these things on this topic, are not the only persons reading. I, too, read other web forums and informative news articles with additional reader comments, but do not personally communicate in any of those places. So, perhaps there are other people, not members at GW who discovered this topic/thread and are reading it.
                        So, perhaps not everyone thinks as you (GF) and other readers or commentators do, either.
                        BINGO.
                        I would quite frankly be amazed if anyone thinks as I do. I would not be surprised however to find that some people do agree with me on things where I am not speaking from a faith based perspective.

Ahem. Kirlian photography shows *energy* auras exist in both humans and plants. Since minerals also radiate energy, does that make the ground alive as well? I'm not saying it does, but do our bodies radiate energy auras only because of our biological and mineral composition, or is there something else existing that determines the presence of a soul? Hint--ganglion brain matter.
                        Ahem, Hint- Water based Plasma Discharges.
                        But lets go with it for a moment, Why could it not mean that the ground, or minerals do not possess a soul either as both have demonstrated "Aura's" inder Kirlian photography? Seems like selective viewing of the evidence if you ask me,
                        By laws of anything, our complex brain blobs shouldn't be able to think or speak, or even enable us move independently on our own. A blob of matter is just that -- a blob -- no conscience, no thought process, no nothing. It exists as a pile of goo, yet that same blob of goo, liquids and minerals is a walking, talking, breathing, and communicating persona engaging in conversations that shouldn't even exist in the blob realm.
                        Or brains are not blobs of grey matter, they run riot with electrical impulses as synapse's fire off gathering and interpreting data. The only time they are just "blobs" is when we are dead.

Yet, even as the ancient writer records and declares to (God) and about God's *handiwork* in
                        Psalm 139:14 (New American Standard Bible (NASB))
                        "I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well."
                        For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes.
                        - Yoda

I'd say the same process works in transmitting binary numbers and data from computer languages to show pictures, words, and other wonders on a video screen that us *unlearned* folks just take for granted that such a system actually works. Go find the geek who made it work or someone who can fix computer/equipment when the stupid thing(s) breaks down. Many of us computer *dummies* do not comprehend how such technology works, but just because we cannot see the data conversions into other forms does not mean the thing that makes the conversion work does not exist -- because we know it DOES exist.
                        False Equivalency.
                        It works because people make it work, without them the net would not exist, it doesn't just "work". A comparable argument would be God only exists because people believe it is exists.

So, the same process *may* be true with God. As to how S/HE can see a zillion different events as well as seeing, hearing, and responding even in the dark --- and all at the same time, well, perhaps S/HE is sort of similar to our internet/web connections.
                        (CASE IN POINT)--- Many of us internet users cannot see the main computer, or its visible *source* location, and how it processes such amazing marvels, but we *know* it exists, or we wouldn't be able to communicate and interact with each other with this method.
                        Interesting. The Internet runs of banks of computers, not a "main one", so your analogy would be more in line with a pantheon based belief system, rather than a monotheistic one

With a large enough storage space and a powerful enough instrument, a billion people can access the same computer all at the same time with different pieces of information coming and going all at the same time in different locations. Maybe God is web/energy *wired* up the same way, but is a living entity doing this, NOT a piece of computer technology. ...Just a thought on that *alternative* POV...
                        Introducing a consciousness into a system that does not require one, why?
                        Last edited by Gatefan1976; 29 August 2015, 05:15 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Question for all of you. What is the TRUE meaning of Easter? And no, it isn't commercial with cards, Easter baskets, etc.!
                          Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
                          (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Comment

Originally posted by imzadi35 View Post
                            Question for all of you. What is the TRUE meaning of Easter? And no, it isn't commercial with cards, Easter baskets, etc.!
                            Depends on what you believe.
                            Most forms of Christianity would say it represents the death and resurrection of Christ.
                            Most Pagans would say it represents the Spring Equinox and the rebirth of the land, and most likely personified by a goddess of some description depending on the particulars of the faith in question. (Eostre would be the most common "generic pagan" one however.
                            Atheists would call it a marketing stunt.
                            None of these is any less "true" or "real" to the person making the observation however.
                            sigpic

Comment

So, where does the former human named [...] "SoulReaver" energy/soul part go?
                              that's my business

Spoiler:
                              I hope it is anyway
                              it's bad enough our freedoms are so limited - for most of us - in this plane of existence so hopefully I won't be subject to such limits thereafter

If you're going to be sarcastic or mock "God" and how He/It communicates with His creation, (generic) you will not get "the" answer -- that fits your preconceived idea of what this It persona entity is. Similar to a caring parent trying to gently teach their child "proper" manners, if true to form, that same caring parent will not respond to the mockery of a sassy/sarcastic child, until the child starts to fully listen to its parent in a manner that is acceptable to mom, dad, guardian, or teacher.
                              I'm not mocking (not that it cares, IMO)

Jeremiah 29:13 and Jeremiah 33:3 already gave you the answer.
                              basically it says "it doesn't work because you're no true believer" which is more of a copout

Spoiler:
                              incidentally I remember this anecdote about some bigshot german inquisitor who wanted to marry a village woman but that woman was extremely pious so she refused
                              Spoiler:
                              tbh she was also extremely foolish, if she was so religious she should've become a nun for in a convent at least she'd have been safe from anyone's advances since nuns can't marry. but I digress
                              so he had her arrested on bogus witchcraft charges. he & 2 of his assistants had her "interrogated" in an attempt to extract a confession, at some point the 2 other inquisitors even hesitated to continue the interrogation but they were afraid of his authority so they carried on under his orders until she finally succumbed to her injuries without having confessed. they pointed out to their superior that she may have been innocent after all but he just replied that she died because she was no true believer & that Satan took her away before she could confess before God. lol

I have an annoying waterfall story on how NOT to pray (to God/TPTB!), because I wasn't being *specific* enough in what I was asking for. Actually, I wasn't expecting anything, but learned a good lesson from experiencing it. Also, need to note that from the moment I *thought* of the waterfall thingy, it took years before I saw the answer manifested into something physical. And *Details* means EVERYTHING --- worlds of difference when lacking certain specifics in details. Plus, I didn't realize it was actually a prayer or even a conversation I made towards any *entity* -- somewhere "out there".
                              I want a billion euros in my bank account now, no strings attached. I believe that's specific enough and this shouldn't be too hard to pull off for an all powerful creator (or even the lowest angels if there's such a thing)

Comment

To all, I have some replying to do but I'm currently not in the capacity to make long replies. I'm still away for the weekend, but I shall as soon as I'm home again.

Originally posted by imzadi35 View Post
                                Chocolate eggs. Preferably dark chocolate.

And that's about it.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X