Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wine_buyer View Post
    I would have liked it if SG1 had spent a little time showing the pressure that Sam must have felt with having to pull off miracles all of the time. I can't imagine what it would be like to literally have the fate of the world in your hands and , someone yelling at you to "fix it now" because there's no time...the world is going end..ect...
    I would have liked that as well. Jack was constantly demanding Sam to come up with a solution, fix something, save everybody, etc. While this can be seen as complete confidence and trust in Sam that she can pull off all those "saves", I can't imagine the kind of pressure it had to have put her under to always have to be the one to come up with solutions. And, of course, Jack wasn't the only one to do that. He was just the one that was shown most often to be doing that. Plus, she had more than one job to do, which not all that many of the other characters had to do. She was an air force officer on the premier team of the SGC, she was the top scientist at the SGC, she was the field medic on missions, and too many other things for one person to have to be responsible for. It's no wonder she didn't have a life (as Jack so often pointed out to her). And she often didn't get credit for the saves. It was often the case the she came up with the solution, somebody else carried out her solution and then got credit for the solution. Never seemed fair to me.

Comment

how about an AU where sam has gone dark side because she was expected to fix so much that she started to control things so she wouldn't have to fix them
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Nice plot bunny To be honest it's a minor miracle that Sam never had a nervous breakdown with all of that pressure.

For those who desperately want to love Curling (and you know who you are) but were afraid to ask what it actually is:
        http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...inglepage=true
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
          hehe, very cute... love the one about being a dork for forgetting she was on twitter
          I liked that too.

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
          I know I talk about curling a lot because it is one of my current sports but I'm also a former hockey player and as such want to say that was an awesome game and, just to keep it on topic, AT is obviously good luck. I hope she will attend all the rest of Canada's games including the womens' game tonight. Go Canada! (I''m sure that will bring a response from the US fans )
          BTW, just a little off topic note on Clara Hughes whom I mentioned before. In her last Olympic race she skated an amazing race to win the bronze medal in the 5000m. She is 37 years old and is the only athlete ever (not just Canadian but from any country) to win mutiple medals in both the summer and winter games. She has won a medal in every Olympics in which she has appeared starting in 1996. When she was asked if she considered herself the greatest Canadian athlete ever she said she just considers herself as a Canadian. Talk about a role model!
          At is definitely a good luck charm and just a flat out awesome human being.
          Believe it or not I am rooting for Canada (in spite of the fact that 3 women from my town are on the US team) . I am such a bad person. *slaps own hand*
          In my defence I should have been born in Canada and it isn't my fault that my parents were the first generation to be US born when everyone else as far back as we can trace was born and raised in Canada.
          I've heard of Clara Hughes, my dad loves her, he calls her the queen of the Olympics. I guess you can say she's my dads "Amanda."

Oh, damn straight Amanda is good luck. I mean it's like every game she goes to, the team she's supporting ends up winning.

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
          I don't and here's why. (whether you want to know or not )
          1. SG1 is the wrong show for that kind of thing, imho.
          2. I don't think the writers could have written it well.
          3. Not to minimize the issues real people have with substance abuse, but it's a cliche on shows. And I especially hate it when it comes out of the blue...
          4. related to #1--AT would be better served playing that kind of stuff in a different role where she was the star
          She is currently in a starring role, she plays some character on TV named Helen Magnus. Perhaps you've heard of the show.

I'd like to see Helen go though that, it'd be cool to see Amanda act it out. I love the sig btw.

Comment

Woo hoo, Amanda just reached 11,000 followers on twitter. Go Amanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              how about an AU where sam has gone dark side because she was expected to fix so much that she started to control things so she wouldn't have to fix them
              *subtly pokes*

Sounds like an awesome plot bunny.

Been reading so many comic books lately that your mention of the 'dark side' has my mind wandering down the superhero route with an image of Sam in a skin tight, black suit holding off the forces of good who are trying to sway her back to their side so she can fix their toaster, hard drive, or alien gadget once again.

Yeah. Hopefully (if you wrote this fic) it would wipe this crazy image from my brain.

Oh, and I've officially had Olympic overload. Can't wait for Sunday's closing ceremonies and the return of my favorite shows back on prime-time again.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                <<claps and awaits story>>

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

dude, i can't even get done the one i've been working on for a few months
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

4. related to #1--AT would be better served playing that kind of stuff in a different role where she was the star
                    Like Stuck.

I have to cheer for both b/c of my northern buddies. Go North American Teams!
                    Me too. I'm cheering for both sides of the border. And any other athlete that is doing a great job. For me, it's more about seeing these folks achieve their dreams and having all their hard work pay off. The country they're from is secondary. Not to say that I don't give a large WOOT when the US wins a medal.

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                    Even though she's a twitter dork?
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                      Even though she's a twitter dork?
                      ESPECIALLY because she's a twitter dork. The coolest twitter dork out there.

Comment

Hey y'all, I'm just dropping of an all new Amanda vid I just made.

Our Amanda Tapping in Tokyo and Paris 2009

I know I already made a vid of her from 2009, but this vid has those new Paris pics that weren't include in my first vid. It's only 2:22 long, but I'm proud of it and I hope y'all enjoy it.
                        Last edited by Rocky89; 26 February 2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

At is definitely a good luck charm and just a flat out awesome human being.

Believe it or not I am rooting for Canada (in spite of the fact that 3 women from my town are on the US team) . I am such a bad person. *slaps own hand*
                          In my defence I should have been born in Canada and it isn't my fault that my parents were the first generation to be US born when everyone else as far back as we can trace was born and raised in Canada.
                          most definately!

1. SG1 is the wrong show for that kind of thing, imho.
                          2. I don't think the writers could have written it well.
                          3. Not to minimize the issues real people have with substance abuse, but it's a cliche on shows. And I especially hate it when it comes out of the blue...
                          i agree, stargate is not the place for a story on a main character battling alcholism, nor is sam the character...

the issue of substance abuse would be much better suited to a show that could hopefully do it more justice...

I don't want to give the impression that I am unpatriotic in the US. I love this country but it urks me to know that just about every relative I have is thousands of miles away. *sigh*
                          In re of the Olympics: hisg1fans and jckfan55 make very good points. May the best team win.

Note to jckfan: I agree. If you've ever lived with a person who has a problem with alcohol (and I have) it is almost never portrayed correctly on TV shows no matter how good the actor or actress.

I would have liked it if SG1 had spent a little time showing the pressure that Sam must have felt with having to pull off miracles all of the time. I can't imagine what it would be like to literally have the fate of the world in your hands and , someone yelling at you to "fix it now" because there's no time...the world is going end..ect...
                          that would have been nice to see: sams inner battle with any given situation she was expected to find a quick fix for...

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                          go amanda! twitter dork and all
                          "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
                            most definately!

i agree, stargate is not the place for a story on a main character battling alcholism, nor is sam the character...

the issue of substance abuse would be much better suited to a show that could hopefully do it more justice...

that would have been nice to see: sams inner battle with any given situation she was expected to find a quick fix for...
                            I actually think that's more of something Helen could battle. I mean Sanctuary isn't Stargate and Helen isn't Sam, she's strong but everyone has a breaking point. I'm sure though Amanda would act it out very well.

go amanda! twitter dork and all
                            She's living prove that goofballs and dorks can be VERY cool.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                              I would have liked that as well. Jack was constantly demanding Sam to come up with a solution, fix something, save everybody, etc. While this can be seen as complete confidence and trust in Sam that she can pull off all those "saves", I can't imagine the kind of pressure it had to have put her under to always have to be the one to come up with solutions. And, of course, Jack wasn't the only one to do that. He was just the one that was shown most often to be doing that. Plus, she had more than one job to do, which not all that many of the other characters had to do. She was an air force officer on the premier team of the SGC, she was the top scientist at the SGC, she was the field medic on missions, and too many other things for one person to have to be responsible for. It's no wonder she didn't have a life (as Jack so often pointed out to her). And she often didn't get credit for the saves. It was often the case the she came up with the solution, somebody else carried out her solution and then got credit for the solution. Never seemed fair to me.
                              We only saw a couple of examples where the pressure was getting to her. One was in the season 6 two-part opener where she is hiding in her lab because everyone was looking to her to come up with a solution. That was the main one. The other one I can think of was in Descent when she was trying to get the shield up so they could get off the ship.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                                We only saw a couple of examples where the pressure was getting to her. One was in the season 6 two-part opener where she is hiding in her lab because everyone was looking to her to come up with a solution. That was the main one. The other one I can think of was in Descent when she was trying to get the shield up so they could get off the ship.
                                Don't forget about Unending. We saw how frustrated she was getting when she was trying to come up with a solution for getting out of the time dilation field. After spending that long on the ship, with a little Asgard saying "That function is not possible", I'd imagine she'd lose it a bit. But I would like to have seen her lose her temper even just a little bit like we saw with Cam.

Comment

Working...
                                X