• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dean Devlin Talks Stargate Movie Sequels

Vid interview:
    http://collider.com/dean-devlin-inde...sequels/98467/

An article:
    http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/bl...argate-reboot/

So what would this new Stargate universe look like? “Well, I think it’ll change a little bit from our original ideas since so many years have passed, but we wanted to explore the idea of how the Stargates were built originally and where else in the universe they exist and why they exist and where else they exist on Earth. We had originally planned it out as a trilogy of films to allow this mythology to grow bigger and bigger.”
    sigpic

Nice find
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Nice find
      Thank Twitter!
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah yeah. Every few years Devlin trots out this horsecrap about a 'planned trilogy'. It was bull the first time, it's bull this time, and has been bull every time between.

Not knocking you in the least, Lythis. I just tire of Devlin's bs.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
          Thank Twitter!
          *Grudgingly thanks twitter.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Yeah yeah. Every few years Devlin trots out this horsecrap about a 'planned trilogy'. It was bull the first time, it's bull this time, and has been bull every time between.

Perhaps, but there is no-one in the way anymore.
            sigpic

Comment

Perhaps, but there is no-one in the way anymore.
              He sold the rights to Stargate. He no longer has any claim to it, regardless of whether anything else is in production.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

He sold the rights to Stargate. He no longer has any claim to it, regardless of whether anything else is in production.
                Who did he sell it to? MGM?
                sigpic

Comment

Yep. So the ball is in MGM's court, Devlin has no say.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd even be interested if the casts of the TV series were not involved.

I didn't know of Devilin's history, so hmmmmm...
                    sigpic

Comment

Yep. So the ball is in MGM's court, Devlin has no say.
                      Hmm, I always thought there was some conflict over the rights to the different arms of the franchise (theatrical vs Television)
                      Still, nothing prevents MGM from asking D&E if they are interested in doing another theatrical production. I actually watched the movie 2 days ago for fun, I think they could have gone alot more ways with the story.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hmm, I always thought there was some conflict over the rights to the different arms of the franchise (theatrical vs Television)
                        I don't know if you follow it, but you may be thinking of Battlestar Galactica. Glen Larson still holds the theatrical rights to the franchise, so the Ron Moore TV series (no matter how successful) can never go to the big screen.

As far as Stargate goes, MGM is holding all the cards and there's no theatrical/television conflict. At this point, Devlin, Brad Wright, or Joe Schmoe off the street could approach them with an idea and MGM would be well within their rights to turn down or work with any of them.

Comment

If he continues the storyline from the original movie, it sounds like it won't include anything about SG1 (unless I missed that part). If that's the case, I'm not going to be very interested in watching it. I've seen the original movie, and all of the series that came after, and much prefer anything related to SG1 and later.

Comment

Still, nothing prevents MGM from asking D&E if they are interested in doing another theatrical production. I actually watched the movie 2 days ago for fun, I think they could have gone alot more ways with the story.
                            MGM own the rights to both, but there is apparently a clause that gives Devlin 'first dibs' so to speak on any future theatrical. I'm not sure how true that is though.

Comment

gawd, i hope he doesn't get to do stargate again!! he'll completely ignore the characters soooo many of us know and love, because they don't exist in his stargate world!!
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X