X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morjana View Post
    Sanctuary - SciFi Chicks: Review of 'Fata Morgana':

At SciFi Chicks:

(Please follow the link for the complete review.)

Sanctuary: “Fata Morgana”

Posted on October 11th, 2008 by Sandy

The best thing this show has going for it is that it doesn’t appear to be a mindless monster of the week series....can make their own decisions as individuals, for good or ill.

**snippage**
    I like the un-mindlessness of it, too. Will be fun to see where all the clues lead.

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
    Tricon sells more Sanctuary

MIPCOM NEWS: Canada's Tricon Films and Television has found more customers for its sci-fi series Sanctuary (13x60'), selling the series into Central Europe and Asia.

Entertainment channel AXN has snapped up the show for Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Poland, Romania and Slovakia.

Meanwhile, Sci Fi Channel Asia has taken the series to air on its channels in more than 28 countries.

Complete article is here
    Thanks for the news! Sounds promising!

What does it mean for S3M? Do S3M and Scifi share international profits? If it is selling independent of Scifi, is Sanctuary less dependent on ratings? I don't understand it all, of course, but it sure sounds great!! I'm happy for them!

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
    Episode 3 got a 9.3 at IGN, but I thought I'd leave the quotey thing to someone better at it.
    9.3 sounds fantastic to me.
    Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
    Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
      Sanctuary - The Herald (Scotland):

At The Herald (Glasgow, Scotland):

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

Sanctuary
      ITV4, 9pm

DAVID BELCHER October 16 2008

**snippage**

Due to her time-travelling and exobiologising, Dr Helen is actually aged 157. She, of course, looks better than her sole extant contemporary, Cher.
      Ok, I confess I laughed at this sentence, otherwise, it was anti-Sanctuary hogwash, pigwash, and rhinowash.

Originally posted by suse View Post
      High five's Suse!!

Great reply!
      Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
      Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
        I like the un-mindlessness of it, too. Will be fun to see where all the clues lead.

What does it mean for S3M? Do S3M and Scifi share international profits? If it is selling independent of Scifi, is Sanctuary less dependent on ratings? I don't understand it all, of course, but it sure sounds great!! I'm happy for them!

When Amanda did the Today (?? I think) Show interview she said that they had no studio backing so Sci Fi isn't involved except as as buyer.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
          When Amanda did the Today (?? I think) Show interview she said that they had no studio backing so Sci Fi isn't involved except as as buyer.
          Pfew ...

Suse ... great reply. That really was a stupid review.
          sigpic

Comment

It was a terrible review. Not just that the review was terrible, but that was clearly written by some elitist TV snob who probably did media studies or something at University and thinks that makes him better than everyone else. It's pathetic when people think everything is either a work of art or complete drivel, with no middle ground. I don't even get what he's talking about when he goes on about All-American TV Hogwash. I mean I never get that feeling from Sanctuary. Maybe, maybe I could understand if he was talking about 24 or something (and I like 24) because 24 is clearly very American (but not in a bad way). But Sanctuary? I honestly don't know what it did to that guy to upset him so much. Maybe it slaughtered his family and he wants revenge, i don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
              Yes, let's see .

It does sound great , I want to know as much as I can, anything that can help Sanctuary, you've got my full support . In fact, and this is gonna sound silly , but yesterday Fata Morgana was on twice, once at 11:00am, and I kept my TV on that channel just to help it's ratings. And here's where it gets silly , it was on again at 3:15am, I woke up a 3:00am, I went downstairs, and put it on that channel again . Of course I didn't leave the TV on, but at least it was on that channel .

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
              Pfew ...

Suse ... great reply. That really was a stupid review.
              Yes it was, I was gonna reply to him, but I didn't want to risk going crazy on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
                It was a terrible review. Not just that the review was terrible, but that was clearly written by some elitist TV snob who probably did media studies or something at University and thinks that makes him better than everyone else. It's pathetic when people think everything is either a work of art or complete drivel, with no middle ground. I don't even get what he's talking about when he goes on about All-American TV Hogwash. I mean I never get that feeling from Sanctuary. Maybe, maybe I could understand if he was talking about 24 or something (and I like 24) because 24 is clearly very American (but not in a bad way). But Sanctuary? I honestly don't know what it did to that guy to upset him so much. Maybe it slaughtered his family and he wants revenge, i don't know.
                I know, I mean look at all the other good reviews the show's gotten, and a lot of them also came from "American" critics. They thought the show was good, and some of them weren't into Sci-fi, or stuff like that. Granted we've also read good reviews from other "American" critics and non-"American" critics, who's also biased and unbiased, and they thought it was good. This guy needs a chill pill .

Comment

From SciFi.com's schedulebot, SciFi Channel's SciFi Friday line up for October 17 '08:

10:00P SANCTUARY FOLDING MAN - NEW episode!

12:00A SANCTUARY FOLDING MAN

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                  SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                  Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

At CinemaSpy:

(Please follow the link for the complete four-page interview.)

Exclusive Interview: Martin Wood

The director discusses 'Sanctuary', 'Stargate' and Canada's underrated production potential

By Michael Simpson | Thursday, October 16, 2008

Director Martin Wood is a dedicated ambassador for Canada's film and television industry. Not only is he a passionate advocate of the country's capacity to produce entertainment that can play on the world market, he's also proving the point with his work on the Stargate franchise and Sanctuary.

Wood has served as both a director and producer on Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Admittedly both series are backed by major American studios, but they are shot in CinemaSpy's home city of Vancouver (see here) and the crews that work on them are comprised largely of Canadians. Sanctuary, on the other hand, has foundations built in Canada. Wood worked closely with Damian Kindler on the creation of the show (see here and here), which began in 2007 as a series of eight high-definition webisodes. These were released on the Net in on a pay-to-download basis by Stage 3 Media, the company Kindler co-created to make Sanctuary. Stage 3 Media was originally based in a small office in a crumbling building in Vancouver's Gastown district. Since then, it has moved to newer premises and Sanctuary has been picked up by SCI FI Channel in the United States, Movie Central/The Movie Network (TMN) in Canada and ITV in Britain.

Sanctuary has bucked the prevailing trend among the many popular series that have been shot in Vancouver. Instead of being 'imported' to Canada by US networks looking to reduce production costs, it was created, produced, directed and distributed in Canada using a cast and crew that is almost entirely Canadian. It was then popular enough on the Web to be sold south of the border. Of course, that has happened before with Canadian shows, such as Due South, Corner Gas and Flashpoint, but most have been unable to capture a prime-time slot on a US channel. Sanctuary, however, has been placed at the heart of SCI FI's popular Friday night line-up alongside Stargate Atlantis.

The show stands a chance of competing in this slot partly because it stars long-time Stargate lead Amanda Tapping. Also, many Stargate alumni have worked on the cast and crew, including Kindler, Wood, producer N. John Smith, stunt co-ordinator James Bamford and actors Christopher Heyerdahl, David Hewlett and Kavan Smith. Sanctuary is also there, though, because it has the same high production values that are seen in SCI FI's American-backed series. That's something new for a sci-fi show born in Canada and largely financed by Canadian money.

As Martin Wood explained in a recent interview with CinemaSpy, making Sanctuary an example of what Canada can produce has been integral to the vision that he, Kindler and Tapping have for the series. In the interview he also challenged the myth that nothing new is being produced in Canada and spoke briefly about his experience directing the DVD movie Stargate Continuum. Continuum was praised by Stargate fans when it was released earlier this year and Wood had good news for those hoping to see him return for a future film in the series.

A brief excerpt:

CinemaSpy: I spoke to Damian a while ago and I asked him what different qualities each of you brings to the scripts that you write together. He jokingly said that you are "reckless, chaotic and irresponsible," while he knows what he was doing [see here]. I'm going to turn that around and ask you the same question.

Martin Wood: [laughs] Well here's what happens. Damian has a sense of order and a sense of what a script should look like. I'm reckless and chaotic and completely throw all those rules out and say, "Look, let's tell the story in a lot of different ways, not just by people talking about it." So where he writes the words down and says, "This is what they're going to say," I say, "No, we're going to take those words away and I'm going to show them doing it." And we have this hybrid thing happening between us where both our brains are moving in different directions. He feels he has to explain everything; I feel you don't have to explain anything and you can have a whole show with five words in it. If Tom Hanks is talking to Wilson in Castaway, you can still hold an audience and they can still watch it if you know what you're doing.

Honestly, when Damian writes a script he writes a really solid story, but it's always too many pages too long. So what I'll do, I'll go into his scripts and say, "You don't need this, you don't need this, you don't need this, you don't need this." It's like pulling the arms off a child in front of him, but he understands that it's sort of the symbiosis we have, because without the arms to pull off I wouldn't have anything to do, and without the arms being pulled off it wouldn't look as cool as it does. So we both sort of look at each other and say, "OK, this works."

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - TV Guide Canada: Watercooler: Ask Amber- Oct. 12:

At TV Guide Canada:

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

Ask Amber: Oct. 12

Hi, I am excited to see the new show Sanctuary. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it. I understand it debuted on Oct. 3. I live in Richmond Hill, [Ont.], and have no idea which channel to tune into. Trust me, I have looked. They have advertised it on Rogers on Demand, the same station I go to watch Dexter and True Blood. Is it not airing in Canada??? If it is, which channel to tune into??? Thank you. – Tammy

Amber: Sanctuary airs on The Movie Network and Movie Central, the same networks that air Dexter and True Blood. Unfortunately, that’s the only place you can see it right now.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

The NBC Store signing, Oct. 3:

Ok, wow, I actually posted pictures! Guess the subject inspired me. Amanda was quite happy to see someone! *fangirl sigh*

Just sayin', took a lot of pics but not as clear as these. Hope to post a couple more.
                        Last edited by Traveler Enroute1; 17 October 2008, 08:41 AM.
                        MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                        sigpic
                        Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                          Great reply suse I left a reply today too.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1 View Post
                            The NBC Store signing, Oct. 3:

Ok, wow, I actually posted pictures! Guess the subject inspired me. Amanda was quite happy to see someone! *fangirl sigh*

Just sayin', took a lot of pics but not as clear as these. Hope to post a couple more.

Oh...what lovely photos! But then...how could they not be?

Thank YOU so much for sharing!

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pb...VING/810170304

On TV: “Sanctuary” star Tapping explores her British side
                              By Rick Bentley
                              of The Fresno (Calif.) Bee

excerpt:

LOS ANGELES — Amanda Tapping, who was born in Britain but raised in Canada, turns the tables by taking on an English accent for a television role. It's part of her transformation from the no-nonsense Col. Samantha Carter on “Stargate” to the mysterious Helen Magnus on the new Sci-Fi Channel series “Sanctuary.”

“It's part of her history,” says Tapping during an interview at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. “Helen Magnus dates back to Victorian-era England, and it's an important part of who she is. It informs a lot about her eccentricities and where she came from.

“So it was important to me as an actor that she stayed true to that part of her lineage, and one of her eccentricities is that she fiercely holds on to the Britishisms that she was born with. So she will only drink tea, and she speaks with the Queen's English, even though I've tried to broaden the accent a little bit because she's lived around the world and is 157 years old.”

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

Did we ever get any numbers for last week? Did I miss them?

Comment

Working...
                                X