This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New SG-1/SGA Ideas

Okay, this is really the first Stargate forum I've ever joined or really discussed the show much anywhere and I've noticed that there's a pretty big divide between those who still like SG-1 from Season 9 onward (like me) and those that don't. And Atlantis seems to be following the same trend.

I understand the reasons why some hate it (mostly tech-related) and I'm not posting this to argue about it. It's mostly because many people are annoyed by the 'Deus Ex Machina'-effect we've been having a lot lately: the Ancient Outpost to destroy Anubis's fleet (SG-1/S7); the Dakara Superweapon to destroy the MW Replicators (SG-1/S8); the Sangraal (SG-1/S9+S10) and now the Ark of Truth.

Though I still love the show, I can see why, but... I never hear alternatives! So I've been wondering... What would you do with the show (storywise) if you could? How would you have wrapped up the Ori? (spoilers for Ark of Truth in spoiler-tags! *hasn't seen it yet*) What would you come up with for future SG-1 movies, a hypothetical Season 11 or Atlantis episodes?

What would I do differently? Gee, that's open question...one primed for debating on this thread. might want to set up some rules.

For SG-1....I would have ended the series at season 8...no matter what skiffy said. Season 8 was supposed to be the last season.

If skiffy wanted more I would have told them go for a spin off or pull the plug on both.

Anyways, I never would have followed the Ori story line. The idea of a boring cult like galaxy with ascended being worshiped as gods doesn't really sound all that exciting.

I would have liked to have seen a twist to the old Goa'uld arc...perhaps a arc where Vala is still a host to Qetesh but has gained some control, perhaps half her body. Something where the host and Goa'uld talk to each other, bicker and fight.

I would have liked to have seen them peruse some of the other stories they dropped. Bring back Jonas, find a Furling and not blow Thor up.

I would not have changed Daniel so much...it's unrealistic to change into the opposite of what the character was established at and the excuse of "he's been through so much he has to change" is utter crap because his change doesn't mesh with what a normal human being would change into after being through hell. No one--and believe me I've seen tragedy galore--has that much of a personality change. It's like MS is acting a totally different character and wasn't Daniel. I've concluded he was Anubis for season 9 and 10 or Daniel has a split personality disorder.

Mitchell being a hero to start with was a wrong move. The--"I've earned this"--attitude wasn't appealing to me. Ben B. is a wonderful actor and I wished they cast him junior to or Sam (if she remained on SG-1) and in training to be on the team with a number of other waiting behind him for the same spot. Thus pressure not to go half cocked and run off. If no Sam on SG-1 then I would have cast his character as season team leader who went up the ranks to SG-1 and just replaced Sam when she went to Atlantis.

Sam was just ignored for most of season 9 and 10. I think they should have sent her to SGA in season 9 to be Rodney's boss science in the real world the head of the science department and 3rd in command of Atlantis should not being going off world. (Neither should shep as 2nd in command).

Teal'c was more ignored than normal with the exception of a few eps in season 10 and the Jaffa story arc in the beginning of season 9. I like Vala's interaction with Teal'c and her calling him "Muscles" and would have liked to have seen Vala and Teal'c have a deeper friendship.

I also think Vala should still be a host and trying to hide Qetesh from the rest of SG-1 in a story arc where Vala and Qetesh are stuck together and need to pull off being an exhost while searching for a way to undo themselves...still only giving Qetesh limited control. Something like Vala gets the left half of the body and Qetesh gets the right. But that's just my idea and would never come to pass in SGC universe. Would have loved to have seen Vala pull off a split personality acting where she argues with herself...lol.

SGA:

Oh boy--first never should have gotten rid of Weir or Beckett. It's only half a show now because only half the cast I cared about are still there. Should have followed up on the Wraith story arc brought in Carter as Rodney's superior. Also needed to bring in a full colonel as Shep's superior. Only way Shep's team could go off world with Shep and Rodney is if they weren't heads of departments. Both are a huge security risk to be sending off world.

Didn't have to try and make shep's team into SG-1 in season 4...though the stories are written better. It's really too late to get me to care about Ronin and Teyla now--they have been ignored for far to long.

I cared about Rodney, Weir, Sheppard and Beckett!

I would rather they let RL go instead of TH. Transfered TH to shep's team and let her go off world as a Daniel type figure. Then I would have hired a new leader for the show...if they had their hearts set on JS she could have been a good political choice for Weir.

Some creative writing would have placed Wier on Shep's team and Teyla go AWOL. (This would give RL time for her baby too) Woosely pulls some strings in effort to get her job but it backfires and the IOA sends in this young diplomat instead...JS...who is very smart but has no bedside manner.

I would have Keller as a stratigist/diplomat who insist that Weir stays on Atlantis and goes on shep's team when Teyla goes missing.

Carter would actually be under JS and everyone would have mixed feelings about this young, hot new leader the IOA sent instead of woosely. LOL.
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Season 11: Link
      Last edited by s09119; 29 August 2009, 06:50 PM.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

More SGA/SG1 crossovers! I just finished watching the repeat of 'Pegasus Project' and was struck by how interesting it was to see SG1 members in Atlantis. It was quite a lot of fun to see Cam and other SG1 members interacting with Rodney. I think it would have been a real hoot have members of the two teams lumped together on different missions, Teal'c, Ronon and Cam would be one hell of an interesting dynamic. Vala and Teyla with Daniel and Shep as another little team, and of course Rodney and Sam Carter working together is always fun.

They should done some crossovers within both series, both galaxies, both enemies (Wraith and Ori)

Comment

Wow, there are some awesome ideas in this thread already! Keep them coming, guys. Anyway, here are some of my own:

- The Ori Arc: If there had been a Season 11, rather than searching for another powerful weapon that could settle the thing in one go (i.e. Ark of Truth), I would've made it much more of a struggle. After Earth was entrusted with the Asgard legacy, I would have (and still would) like to see them truly step out into the galaxy and make a real alliance with all kinds of races against the Ori. Closer relationship with the Free Jaffa, renewed alliance with the Tok'Ra, Nox, etc. (like s09119 Season 11 idea) Perhaps even the start of a Galactic United Nations of sorts to parallel the Ancient Alliance. Then they could bring the fight to the Ori through the Supergate, have SG-1 explore the Ori Home Galaxy and learn of all the races inhabiting it; both peoples that the Ori oppress with 'Origin' and those that are perfectly content and would also die for their beliefs; we could learn of peoples there that always despised the Ori in secret, immediately join the Anti-Ori Alliance's side and begin massacreing even innocent Ori worshippers only because they believe in 'Origin'. In a way, they'd be just as bad as the Ori themselves. The themes that could run through this arc have a lot of potential. There's also a lot of potential with Ba'al, if he makes it to the Ori Home Galaxy or not; he could switch sides and become leader of the Illac Renin and manipulate the Jaffa into making a new empire for him. Eventually, the Ori begin to lose their power because they're losing believers and they're not having a lot of success in the Milky Way due to the new alliance against them (and Earth's use of the Asgard weaponry). Of course, we'd also learn more about the Ancient/Ori history and Ascension.

- Post-Ori: After the Ori are done for, I would like to see the perspective change back to our own galaxy as the Alliance attempts to stay allies: some of them wouldn't mind ceising control over the Ori Home Galaxy (now in a fragile balance between peaceful believers of 'Origin' and those that suffered aeons at the hands of the Priors) and some had no intention to stay allies with Earth after the threat was dealt with to begin with (like the Tok'Ra). There could also be more troubles between the IOA and the SGC. The main, exterior threat would now come from the Wraith and there would be a lot more SG-1/Atlantis cross-overs. There'd be much more room for SG-1 to go back to it's roots aswell: simple exploring and encountering new and old enemies, like the Re'Tu, or learning about the Ancient Alliance (specifically, the Furlings).

That's it from me for now, I'll post more later.

Comment

Originally posted by cavalierlwt View Post
            More SGA/SG1 crossovers! I just finished watching the repeat of 'Pegasus Project' and was struck by how interesting it was to see SG1 members in Atlantis. It was quite a lot of fun to see Cam and other SG1 members interacting with Rodney. I think it would have been a real hoot have members of the two teams lumped together on different missions, Teal'c, Ronon and Cam would be one hell of an interesting dynamic. Vala and Teyla with Daniel and Shep as another little team, and of course Rodney and Sam Carter working together is always fun.

They should done some crossovers within both series, both galaxies, both enemies (Wraith and Ori)
            I agree.

I don't like mentioning other SG-1/SGA characters. It's lame. Better to see them.
            Both Atlantis expedition and SG-1 fighting together would make a great movie. Against Wraith or even new enemy.
            sigpic

Comment

That's it? The ideas are all out that fast? I was looking forwward to more...
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Disclaimer: I did not read any post but the first one, so please do not bash if my ideas cross with someone elses. :-D

First off, I would keep Atlantis the same. Changing it now with the fans it has built would just upset your current fan-base. I might make a few changes here and there, but for the main part -- stick with the KISS method (Keep It Simple and Sweet {I know it can mean "short" too....but oh well!"}).

Second, when it comes to SG-1 Movies...I would have it mainly like the old ones, where they go to one planet and discover some cool things, sam talks her science talk. Of course, lots and lots of explosions.

But there is something else I would do with SG-1. I believe the reason Sci-Fi series are successful are for many reasons, but most would fall under this one reason: having something in the story/plot that we don't know. We all have our imaginations, and I think part of the fun is to think of what could be not really what is. Like the Dark Tower Series from King, his main object of mystery is the Dark Tower. Then Stargate...Ancients, aka The Gate Builders. I can't really come up with other examples, but I am sure there are more.

My point is Stargate has lost that. I feel like we have all the ancient knowledge with just a flick of out finger. So we need something new. So I would have the movies of SG-1 deal with the Furlings and a possible dark side of the Asgard. We all want to know more about them when they were "younger"...before they were little cute grey people. Sure, we have all there knowledge at our finger tips...but maybe something is missing, and Daniel finds it. They go to the Ida galaxy and discover something new...but sort of sinister. I am not talking scaring their name, but the ancients have surely made some mistakes. And why are they so keen on not giving us technology? Maybe have a movie were SG-1 finds out that the Asgard played a key role in the annihilation of a young race....because they gave them too much too fast.

Also, with the third series...I would have it about finding info about the Furlings. I want to know what they looked like...and maybe we will never exactly find that out, but if I have a team on a show looking for more info on them....maybe, just maybe, it will bring more old fans back....and we will find out more about who they are. And a new bad guy!

Comment

episode for season 5:
                  the secret of ascension

the atlantis team discovers that ascension was created by creatures from another galaxy and created a globe that contains the ascended realm. the asuran's want to destroy the globe, as it comes by their planet, and sheppard tries to convince the ascended beings to strike back.

the end: asuran's get destroyed

Comment

A journey to the Ori Galaxy, without using the Supergate, gaining allies on the way...

Comment

I always had this idea of our team finding some kind of video left behind by a society that has been devastated by the Wraith. The episode will really just involve the team watching the video, which will be the main focus.

The video will start with an happy occasion; a son/daughter gifting his/her father with an "alien video camera", which the father proceeds to use everywhere and soon we get an eyeful of his world. Then, the Wraith attacks, and we see the entire culling, its horrors and human drama through the eyes of this family and this video camera, eventually leading to the family's death by the hands of the Wraith.

I guess it's like Cloverfield. But hey, I had the idea first!

Comment

Personally, there is little that could be developed. I do find that the back half of SG-1's season 10 were a bit mehish in terms of episode plotlines but nothing could be done about that as the show got cancelled which prevented further development. Now the following are not plot ideas but things I would have wanted to explore or explain.

I think some things that could have been explored in SG-1 had the show continued:
                        *SG-1 finds a new ally in the form of the descendents of King Arthur and his Knights who make use of technology given to them by Merlin with their ships brought to fight the menace of the Ori's crusade.
                        *Perhaps the introduction of a powerful battleship created by Myrrdin to use against the Ori, this ship would be so advanced that it could not be replicated and, in keeping with the Arthurian myths, it would be named Excaliber. Perhaps even leave it in a nebula which was protected by an AI program developed by Mrrydin and its location was known by King Arthur's descendents.
                        *Its revealed that in the distant past while the Ori were violent to the Alterra, they weren't really bad and had genuinely good beliefs. They would ascend and use their former teachings as the basis for the religion of Origin. However, after seeing their followers willingly give up their free will, they get corrupted by power and twist their religion to suit their needs.
                        *The Alterra did not leave in a single ship but left in an armada that departed the galaxy and travelled for thousands of years. Perhaps even seeding a few locations with stargates in order to backtrack if they needed to do so.
                        *Probably a further explanation on the history of the Ancients like their true homeworld and that the Ori have a stargate system in the home galaxy which needs to get a name.
                        *Explanation on the Ancient Plague, perhaps it was used by the pre-ascended Ori to further destroy their cousins and they believed they succeeded which is why they did not press the attack. Can perhaps counsel this with Vis Uban in the earlier seasons saying that the Alterra attempted to make peaceful contact with their distant kin once again.
                        *The Nox join in to fight against the Ori but only to a limited extent.
                        *The Ark of Truth reveals that the Ori have not ascended any of their followers since they took the stance as gods.
                        *Perhaps a further insight on the Ascended and their rules as well as motives to help better understand their motives rather then demonize them as they have been a bit recently.
                        *Once the Ark is used and their followers are shown the truth, Adria decides that it is pointless to continue the battle as her people (the Ori) are dead and she is the last of her kind. She decides to reform her ways and either goes 'away' or attempts to genuinely help the Children of the Ori who decide to enter a period of isolation to take stock of things.
                        *More importantly, see plenty of nice shiny Ori ships and technology.
                        *If the Asgard need to be killed then kill them but leave a few alive, perhaps just Loki who serves as a villain for the future who decides to resurrect his race no matter the cost and has free reign to do whatever he wants now that his kinsmen are dead.
                        *The return of Kinsey and the revelation that he is one of the leading figures of the Trust on Earth.

Note: To explain why I would keep the Ark of Truth, I really like the Ori and pretty much all of the SG verse's villains however the Ori are far too powerful to be fought through regular means which means a Deus Ex Machina was necessary. Infact, I can't picture any enemy being defeated by conventional means to be honest.

For Stargate Atlantis, not much I can add except perhaps making use of ring transporters among the Ancient bases and ships. The problem of course is to keep the shows separate so meh.

Also, design wise perhaps the Ancient's ships, technology and bases look similar to the ones in the Milky Way. Why I say this? I only say this because we have seen at least four different designs used by the Ancients which range from primitive yet super advanced to almost organic looking to something rough and box to even something smooth. There is no consistency in the designs which is confusing. Also the Lanteans of the Pegasus galaxy come across as too... Human, arrogant and all but nothing that befets such an old and powerful race.

Furthermore, in the Pegasus galaxy it keeps being shown that everything is the Lanteans fault:
                        Wraith = Lantean fault
                        Asuran= Lantean fault
                        A fly landing on my food = Lantean fault

I don't blame them but to others it just seems that they are the source of all the woes of the universe and nothing is done to make them appear as they were a benevolent race.

Oh and finally, to help counsel the problem with the Wraith actually defeating the Lanteans, perhaps the introduction of a new enemy that were the original alien inhabitants of the Pegasus galaxy. Why I say this you might ask? Well this is how i picture it; these aliens inhabit the Pegasus galaxy and believe themselves to be superior to any other form of life which is not hard to imagine when their galaxy is almost devoid of it. Then come the Lanteans who they don't encounter straight away and the Lanteans begin littering the galaxy with stargates and the second evolution of their kind. The alien enemy get angered at the impudence of the Lanteans and wage war against them which they ultimately lose however they are not destroyed but enter into isolation and hiding. While this war was being waged, the Wraith were evolving and had built up an armada to take advantage of the war weary Lanteans. At first the Wraith begin to lose but ultimately gain the advantage and defeat the Lanteans driving them from Pegasus and back to the Milky Way.

What would this explain? Well;
                        *The Lanteans were already weakened by their previous war
                        *Why the Lanteans practically ignored the Wraith's development
                        *Allows the Wraith time to develop an armada as well as technology to fight the Lanteans
                        *Helps bring consistency to the whole thing

And if people are worried about such a powerful foe then they can do something like they did with the Asurans. Basically the Wraith, Atlantis Expedition and Humans ally with the Asurans to fight this threat. Sounds like a rehash but could be done in a newer and better way.

Probably more to add but I am tired so will add something else at another point if I think about it.

Another Note: Don't take this as a rant or a blame TPTB post, just my views on things.
                        Last edited by Prior_of_the_Ori; 19 February 2008, 11:14 AM.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Since all my ideas are being implimented in my fan fic-ish thread... just go here if you wanna see what I think needs to be explored more haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryk Celestis View Post
                            Okay, this is really the first Stargate forum I've ever joined or really discussed the show much anywhere and I've noticed that there's a pretty big divide between those who still like SG-1 from Season 9 onward (like me) and those that don't. And Atlantis seems to be following the same trend.

I understand the reasons why some hate it (mostly tech-related) and I'm not posting this to argue about it. It's mostly because many people are annoyed by the 'Deus Ex Machina'-effect we've been having a lot lately: the Ancient Outpost to destroy Anubis's fleet (SG-1/S7); the Dakara Superweapon to destroy the MW Replicators (SG-1/S8); the Sangraal (SG-1/S9+S10) and now the Ark of Truth.

Though I still love the show, I can see why, but... I never hear alternatives! So I've been wondering... What would you do with the show (storywise) if you could? How would you have wrapped up the Ori? (spoilers for Ark of Truth in spoiler-tags! *hasn't seen it yet*) What would you come up with for future SG-1 movies, a hypothetical Season 11 or Atlantis episodes?

I think that the ancient macguffin is one of the definitive Stargate plots. It keeps human technology within reason and builds on the mythos. Kinda 'oshiz, we hafta find BLANK before BLANK gets here.'

Each Trek had its formula, Kirking, or deep moralizing (picard), walking the line (archer)

B5 was similar its its OMGwegottafind the1st1'sb4wealldie

I guess im saying i wouldnt do anything different, its SG's formula.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                              I think that the ancient macguffin is one of the definitive Stargate plots. It keeps human technology within reason and builds on the mythos. Kinda 'oshiz, we hafta find BLANK before BLANK gets here.'

Each Trek had its formula, Kirking, or deep moralizing (picard), walking the line (archer)

B5 was similar its its OMGwegottafind the1st1'sb4wealldie

I guess im saying i wouldnt do anything different, its SG's formula.
                              Indeed I concur with that. SG-1 can never follow the formulas of Startrek or B5. Why? Because those plotlines had Earth on perhaps a similar tech level or the capacity to get a large fleet to match the enemy. Its not the same with SG-1 where its a secret project and only privy to a few people so Earth will almost always be the underdog that only wins through advanced weapons or deus ex machina. Thats the formula and its worked kind of well i think. But anyway....

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Working...
                              X