This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good questions, gate style?

Alright, the gate found found in the ice near the outpost, it was an old gate, of ancient design, but the gate at atlantis is a newer gate, of ancient design. So, if the outpost and atlantis existed on earth at the same time, which is hinted at in tlc, then why would they have two versions of gates.

This would probably hint to the fact that atlantis had an older style gate when it existed here, and then when it was moved to the peg. galaxy it was fitted with a new gate to be able to interact and dial the peg. galaxy gates.

But, that would lead you to believe that each galaxy, or cluster of galaxies, would have their own unique gate, which would then mean that the gate on Ida, in the asgard galaxy, since it was of the same design as ours, means that their galaxy is relatively very close.

That tells you that the 8th chevron can call up close and distant galaxies, since the Ida gate and the atlatis gate were both called up on the 8th chevron.

That then means that the 9th chevron wouldnt really need to be a extra extra distance dial chevron, but used for something else.

Thoughts?

Theory(possible spoilers)
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    Atlantis's gate is the prototype gate.

The gate had more advanced apperence because it had more built in.

The gates we see are a mass-produced variant.

They take that gate to any new galaxy they explore and build new gates.

They send a DHD to each gate, using the prototype to test the wormholes stability.

Comment

Well on the lowdown it showed multiply different gates all with the appearance of the design of the atlantis gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Brickster
        Well on the lowdown it showed multiply different gates all with the appearance of the design of the atlantis gate.
        Really? I saw it twice and I only saw the Atlantis gate and the one in space... the one in space looked like a regular gate.

Comment

By the way, how can one person say that the question they made up are good? Shouldn't that be up to the ones answering/not answering?=)

Comment

Gates: The way they are (or at least should be to fit the currently known info)

Minor spoilers for Atlantis

The Ancients' activities of seeding galaxies with humans and gates, as well as the use of Atlantis to facilitate this effort must be taken account when attempting to understand the gate system.

Gates we see primarily on planets are standard issue gates. They are designed mostly for travel within the galaxy in which they reside. They contain symbols representing constellations in the galaxy in which they reside. They're capable of intergalactic travel by dialing a destination address of 7 symbols (8 total used), 3 pairs to target an area, and the 7th determine the distance in that direction to go, instead of locking onto a gate in that area. The 9th most logically an extra factor for distances which cannot be defined by one symbol. Gates seem to have different cheveron/dhd colors for different galaxies (exception being the Asgard gate in the Ida galaxy, however, since the Ancients presumably didn't seed that galaxy, the Asgard gate was most likely borrowed from a Milky Way planet that became uninhabitable, or was made by the Ancients specifically for the Asgard, based on Milky Way design, since the Four Race Alliance seems primarily focused in the Milky Way). The gate-system most likely didn't originally include space-based gates, the Wraith simply placed a gate in orbit to hinder or halt non-space-worthy travellers (ground troops, atmosphere-only vessels, etc.).

The Atlantis gate is different, especially considering it exists within a city-ship designed for intergalactic travel and use as a long-term research facility. In order to seamlessly intergrate into any galaxy's gate system, the gate itself must be capable of dynamically changing it's symbols to fit the current galaxy, hence its use of lighted figures instead of carved symbols. The gate is also fully-intergrated into the city, powered by its power sources and controlled by a computer instead of the DHD appliance. The computer also controls an energy iris-shield, would logically control symbol-adaptation, and possibly contains a system to "speed-dial" certain destinations.
            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Excellent description of Atlantis.
              sigpic

Comment

The Atlantis gate can probably override all other gates too.

Comment

Very good theory, uknesvuinng. That thought about the chaning glyphs had crossed my mind as well when I saw them. It would be neat to find out that the Ancients had a whole stash of these gates somewhere -- or atleast the plans.
                  Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                  Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                  Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                  Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                  Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                  Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                  Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
                    Very good theory, uknesvuinng. That thought about the chaning glyphs had crossed my mind as well when I saw them. It would be neat to find out that the Ancients had a whole stash of these gates somewhere -- or atleast the plans.
                    I don't know about more of the gates by themselves, but there's always a chance for more city-ships.

Minor Atlantis spoilers

Of course I'd also like to see some other Ancient spacecraft besides the puddle jumper. Surely they had a fleet of transport ships for planting the gates and some science vessels for seeding human life and studying it's progress. It'd just be inefficient to fly the whole city from planet to planet.
                    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Such plans would be vastly beyond us.

Ancient Science is mind bogglingly advanced: see Thor's comment on it in New Order.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                        I don't know about more of the gates by themselves, but there's always a chance for more city-ships.

Minor Atlantis spoilers

Of course I'd also like to see some other Ancient spacecraft besides the puddle jumper. Surely they had a fleet of transport ships for planting the gates and some science vessels for seeding human life and studying it's progress. It'd just be inefficient to fly the whole city from planet to planet.
                        The city itself was created for the sole purpose of seeding the galaxy, wasn't it?

The Ancient city could have been capable of moving so fast that it would have been pointless to have many other ships.

It probably moves faster than asgard vessels.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                          The city itself was created for the sole purpose of seeding the galaxy, wasn't it?

The Ancient city could have been capable of moving so fast that it would have been pointless to have many other ships.

It probably moves faster than asgard vessels.
                          The ship would have to be fairly fast to travel from galaxy to galaxy and make decent time, but still, seeding human life and planting a gate on a planet takes time. The more planets being set up simultaneously, the faster the process would go.
                          Cogito ergo dubito.

Comment

Originally posted by sgslugger View Post
                            very good theory, uknesvuinng. it would be neat to find out that the ancients had a whole stash of these gates somewhere -- or atleast the plans.
                            Stargate Universe?
                            sigpic
                            ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                              Stargate Universe?
                              wow how many pages did you have to go back to revive this thread from 4 years ago!!!!

Universe wasn't even an idea back then, if i recall the post you are responding to was written before Atlantis started.

Comment

Working...
                              X