This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Samanda Whinge nuts

This is a thread for the members of Samanda to come and whine and moan and complain....about whatever.

The only rule, keep it within the forum rules, other than that, have a blast, vent and rant and get it off your chest
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

So.... may I think of this as the "Sam fans' thread where they aren't required to express love for anything or everything else in the Stargate universe while politely posting their opinons" - may I express and discuss my great appreciation for Sam in contrast with my lack of appreciation for X, or just whinge and run?
    ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

we can discuss, we can whinge. you dont' have to discuss/defend your pov. you can just post and run...or we can commiserate/discuss/chit chat to our hearts content

there's just one thing to beware of, it's not just open to one side here. so if we go on the tangent of how horribly teal'c treats sam....those pesky teal'c fans can come in here and defend thier boy

we'll see if this lasts/survives. if the 'respect others' rule keeps getting broken, then the thread will go away.

there are discussion threads that exist for characters, especially two of the more hot button characters, along with anti-season threads

sigpic

Comment

As much as I'm loathe to accept change, I think this is probably for the best. For some reason, it's kinda gotten out of control.

Now, my favorite whinge topics are 1.) Forcing a shiny new character into the limelight of a position he's not qualified for (at the expense of Sam's development), 2.) Bringing in a shiny new character who may or may not have any interaction with anyone but Daniel (whose presence is also at the expense of Sam's development), and 3.) Cooper's reasoning when it comes to how he should and shouldn't treat the veteran actors (in this case, Amanda Tapping).

These are things that are all related to Sam, and yet have the potential to be very bad for the original Samanda thread. I think it's good idea if it lasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          we can discuss, we can whinge. you dont' have to discuss/defend your pov. you can just post and run...or we can commiserate/discuss/chit chat to our hearts content

there's just one thing to beware of, it's not just open to one side here. so if we go on the tangent of how horribly teal'c treats sam....those pesky teal'c fans can come in here and defend thier boy

we'll see if this lasts/survives. if the 'respect others' rule keeps getting broken, then the thread will go away.

there are discussion threads that exist for characters, especially two of the more hot button characters, along with anti-season threads
          Got it.

Was just wondering if this was going to be a 'what we're required to like stops at Sam, beyond that play politely and have fun' thread, or a general purpose 'complain over here 'cause we don't want it over there' thread, no connection to Sam required in the posts.

Now I know where I am.

Thanks.

Comment

hey, you can complain about the sucky service at Wendy's if you want

this is where we can whinge. about anything

sigpic

Comment

hey, you can complain about the sucky service at Wendy's if you want

this is where we can whinge. about anything
              Well, y'know - I don't really give a rat's aft end about Wendy's - or anybody's opinion of Wendy's, for that matter. :shrugs: So very not an issue for me.

If I'm gonna make myself a 'nut' it'll have to be for a bigger cause than that - like how in real life taking away not one, but two commands from a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force in the course of what? two months? would be the end of her reputation and her career. Period. Full stop. Kiss the silver birdies bye-bye baby, 'cause you'll never be gettin' a closer look at 'em than in that little box in Jack's dresser drawer. Nobody trusts you, and nobody wants you, and you can explain all you like. It's in your file, and that's what we believe.

But, somehow, all the shiny new is supposed to make me, the viewer not notice that? All the wunnerful, wunnerful pimpage is supposed to make me unknow what I already know to be known? I'm not the only non-military person in the world who has a veteran for a father, and I wish they'd let that poor military advisor out of the storage closet. I can't imagine there're any canned tomatoes left -

My official first complaint - I, as a viewer am being treated like an imbecile on this and many more subjects by the plots and story arcs of Stargate SG-1 and I don't appreciate it in the slightest.

Hmmm. Nope. Not feeling better...

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                If I'm gonna make myself a 'nut' it'll have to be for a bigger cause than that - like how in real life taking away not one, but two commands from a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force in the course of what? two months? would be the end of her reputation and her career. Period. Full stop. Kiss the silver birdies bye-bye baby, 'cause you'll never be gettin' a closer look at 'em than in that little box in Jack's dresser drawer. Nobody trusts you, and nobody wants you, and you can explain all you like. It's in your file, and that's what we believe.
                Trashing Sam's career is one thing but they couldn't possibly take a pity posting command from precious ickle Cameron when he'd been so happy about being on SG-1. What would it have done to his self-esteem if he'd been asked to serve under an officer who actually had experience? The horror!

But, somehow, all the shiny new is supposed to make me, the viewer not notice that? All the wunnerful, wunnerful pimpage is supposed to make me unknow what I already know to be known?
                I stopped being impressed by shiny a long time ago. I got rather attached to the well thought out stories, intelligent characters and human interaction.

Special effects and Marty Stus don't compare.

My official first complaint - I, as a viewer am being treated like an imbecile on this and many more subjects by the plots and story arcs of Stargate SG-1 and I don't appreciate it in the slightest.
                Neither do I.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

who was it on samanda that posted the 'sam mistakes'?

and pointed out that three of the eps where sam screwed up the most were written by RCC

then take into account how screwed over sam has been the past season and you have to draw the conclusion that RCC really doesn't care about the character.

he doesn't seem to want to protect her or take care of her...rather he just larks about and uses sam as his fallguy whenever he needs someone to mess up

such as this co-leaders crud. no frelling way would the military tolerate that.

i could have seen mitch being in charge while she was gone. but him staying in charge when she came back???

can we spell sexist? cause that's how it's playing out. that the female isn't good enough to lead the male thus she MUST be subordinate to him at all times...even when he's a poorly trained, rather incompetant soul

sigpic

Comment

who was it on samanda that posted the 'sam mistakes'?

and pointed out that three of the eps where sam screwed up the most were written by RCC

then take into account how screwed over sam has been the past season and you have to draw the conclusion that RCC really doesn't care about the character.

he doesn't seem to want to protect her or take care of her...rather he just larks about and uses sam as his fallguy whenever he needs someone to mess up

i could have seen mitch being in charge while she was gone. but him staying in charge when she came back???

can we spell sexist? cause that's how it's playing out. that the female isn't good enough to lead the male thus she MUST be subordinate to him at all times...even when he's a poorly trained, rather incompetant soul
                    "Rather incompetant"! LOL, Sky!

Cameron Mitchell is a man exuberantly embracing his own burgeoning incompetence with a sort of self-satisfied, yet thoroughly manic, intensity and hyperactive glee that often results in a prescription for Ritalin - if not lithium - in real children afflicted with the same behavior. The overgrown lad is a disgrace to his command and to manhood in general, if not his uniform and his ubiquitous grandma. In the real military everybody would look at Sam when the term 'SG-1 leader' was uttered, simply because she leads, while Cammie is cavorting in front of everyone.

And, what gets me right now on this subject is that, given the plan that "Sam will be far, far away when the season begins" that was apparently in place before Amanda made her pregnancy known, I think we would have gotten similarly abominable dreck, even if she hadn't be on maternity leave. She'd have been shunted off to Atlantis, or given cameos, but the 'you must love the new stuff and we're going to shove it down your throat until you do' follies would have played, regardless. Regardless of Amanda's availability. Regardless of the utter implausibility of Cammie's back story. Regardless of the utter implausibility of Cammie's command arc. Regardless of creativity. Regardless of logic. Regardless of what the real military would or wouldn't do. Regardless of anything but getting those XY chromosomes where the collective ID of TPTB-Continuum found it vitally necessary to have them.

RCC reminds me of those people who can do everything and anything better than anybody else around them - they always have the best ideas, the best stories, the best everything - just ask them! They'll tell you they're the best - and they'll usually tell you that everying and anything that was created by someone else is inferior, just because it was created by someone else, or belongs to someone else. And then they'll proceed to use anything they've judged to be 'inferior' as if it were worthless, or, at best, a cheap tool that can be thrown away and replaced effortlessly.

To me, that's how RCC seems to treat the Sam Carter character, as a cheap and forgetable tool that can be thrown away at will, then replaced instantaneously, and without effort.

Ha.

Comment

Ok, I find that the 'RCC doesnt give a **** about Sam's Character' thinking is a bit dangerous. Mainly because I think it's people simply looking for someone to blame and finding RCC a convenient target. I have a hard time believing that he'd want to ruin his show like that.

The bigger problem I have with that kind of posting is that it reminds me alot of the type of posting that another section of the fandom does. Change Vala to Sam and Season 9/10 to Sam/Jack ship (not that I care much about that ) and you have very similiar sounding posting between us and the ranters who hate Sam. It pains me to read those forums and all their negativity against Sam, and see similiar stuff written about Vala/Season 9 in Samanda. These were the same people that were hanging crap on Brad Wright back in Season 6 for his 'anti daniel' bias. The parallels are too similiar in my opinion. That is why I had my whinge over in Samanda

Again, please don't take any of that personally. I don't mean for it to be. It's just my opinion

Comment

there are times when i don't really think that rcc is doing it maliciously...he's just doing it carelessly. he doesn't 'get' sam, (frankly doesn't get any female unless she's the 'girlfriend' or 'rogue' cliche) so he just tries to write her, does it poorly....then goes on his soapbox about how great of a job he's done.

maybe he's just a patsy for scifi and has to carry out their blatant adoration and preference for all things that aren't sam and the show in the past 8 years. the emphasis on potty h umor, on sex.

sigpic

Comment

I'm bad at remembering which writers wrote which episodes. Can anybody tell me who does a good job of writing Sam.

Evidently RCC can't be trusted with a character as complex.

Mitchell the Wonderboy as a second in command? The brand new golden boy not leading the team? The viewers being deprived of his jolly larks and ever so amusing incompetence? Perish the thought!

I've seen objections to the label sexist on the Who Should Lead thread.

TPTB had written a female character as leader of SG-1 for a year, as well as showing seven years of her developing as an officer, maturing to the point that she was ready to take command. Even factoring Amanda's pregnancy into the equation, they could have introduced a new character and kept Sam's command intact.

They made a conscious choice not to do so and to downgrade a female character to have a male in command, something that I doubt very much would have happened with a Lt Colonel Samuel Carter and a female Lt Colonel Cameron Mitchell.

Sounds pretty sexist to me.

Comment

Cameron Mitchell is a man exuberantly embracing his own burgeoning incompetence with a sort of self-satisfied, yet thoroughly manic, intensity and hyperactive glee that often results in a prescription for Ritalin - if not lithium - in real children afflicted with the same behavior. The overgrown lad is a disgrace to his command and to manhood in general, if not his uniform and his ubiquitous grandma. In the real military everybody would look at Sam when the term 'SG-1 leader' was uttered, simply because she leads, while Cammie is cavorting in front of everyone.
                            That is one of the best and most accurate descriptions of Cameron that I have ever read.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Cameron is a Trojan horse planted by the Ori, in the hopes that he will lead SG-1 to their deaths and leave them free to enslave the galaxy.

Comment

Since this is the place to vent,bi__h and moan whatever.

Last night during Stargate Mondays, when AT was talking about team moments/interaction. Did it look like she was reading from a prepared "script".
                              Because when she said the four of us, then changed it to the five and if you
                              cout Beau-six.

She wasn't looking at the camera when that happened. She was looking down
                              at her hands/lap where the "script" would have been.

Comment

Working...
                              X