This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question

ok first off i live in america so we are just now discovery doctor who but the thing that confuses me is what do you mea by 9th doctor 10 doctor

do there change the main chacter every season? or something like that
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

The Doctor is a Time Lord, an alien from the planet Gallifrey. The timelords developed a technology that allows them to "Regenerate" this kicks in when a Time Lord is severely injured. If the Time Lords life is about to end this regenration kicks in, his/her body heals itself to perfect health, but at a cost, his/her form changes completely. The concept was created in the 60's when the First Doctor William Hartnell wanted to leave the show (he was getting older and his health was starting to decline) rather than stopping the show, or replacing the character without explanation, the regenration was introduced.

The Doctors, time served and cause of regeneration are as follows:

William Hartnell (1st Doctor) - Died of Old Age - 4 seasons (1963-1966)
    Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) - Forced to Regenerate by other Time Lords - 3 seasons (1966-1969)
    John Pertwee (3rd Doctor) Radiation Poisoning - 5 Seasons (1970-1974)
    Tom Baker (4th Doctor) Fell from a great height - 7 seasons (1774-1981)
    Peter Davidson (5th Doctor) Poisoning - 3 seasons (1981-1984)
    Colin Baker (6th Doctor) Undetermined Injuries - 3 seasons (1984-1986)
    Sylvester McCoy (7th Doctor) Shot, died on operating table - 3 seasons + 1 tv movie(1987-1989, 1996)
    Paul McGann (8th Doctor) Yet to be revealed - 1 TV Movie (1996)
    Spoiler:
    Christopher Eccleston (9th Doctor)Cellular degeneration after absorbing the time vortex. - 1 season (2005)
    David Tennant (10th Doctor) Currently active Doctor - At least 2 seasons (2006-?)

A Time Lord has 12 regenerations, meaning there may be 13 Doctors in all. It is however possible for a Time Lord to be granted more regenerations. But with Gallifrey lost in the Time War, this is unlikely to happen.
    Last edited by The Signal; 15 April 2006, 07:25 AM.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
      The Doctor is a Time Lord, an alien from the planet Gallifrey. The timelords developed a technology that allows them to "Regenerate" this kicks in when a Time Lord is severely injured. If the Time Lords life is about to end this regenration kicks in, his/her body heals itself to perfect health, but at a cost, his/her form changes completely. The concept was created in the 60's when the First Doctor William Hartnell wanted to leave the show (he was getting older and his health was starting to decline) rather than stopping the show, or replacing the character without explanation, the regenration was introduced.

Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) - Forced to Regenerate by other Time Lords - 3 seasons (1966-1969)
      Sylvester McCoy (7th Doctor) Shot, died on operating table - 3 seasons + 1 tv movie(1987-1989, 1996)
      Spoiler:
      Christopher Eccleston (9th Doctor)Cellular degeneration after absorbing the time vortex. - 1 season (2005)
      David Tennant (10th Doctor) Currently active Doctor - At least 2 seasons (2006-?)

A Time Lord has 12 regenerations, meaning there may be 13 Doctors in all. It is however possible for a Time Lord to be granted more regenerations. But with Gallifrey lost in the Time War, this is unlikely to happen.
      OK I GET IT NOW OK THEN, IM HAPPY, I LIKE DOCTOR WHO HE ROCKS
      In Memory of Stalingrad

May She Never Be Forgotten.

Comment

Spoiler:

Just wondering..
        Spoiler:
        was there any reason why they got rid of Christopher Eccleston after only one season? I havent seen
        David Tennant in doctor who yet, as this is my first time watching the show. But I've growen to like Christopher...Im sad to hear hes only there for one season. Hows the 10th doctor?

Comment

Originally posted by sg1niner
          Just wondering..
          Spoiler:
          was there any reason why they got rid of Christopher Eccleston after only one season? I havent seen
          David Tennant in doctor who yet, as this is my first time watching the show. But I've growen to like Christopher...Im sad to hear hes only there for one season. Hows the 10th doctor?
          My thoughts
          Spoiler:
          I think he wanted to persue other area's of his career, at the time the news broke he was being touted to play Silas in Da Vinci Code. I'm pretty sure he was only on board for one season (Don't quote me on that) because when it was announced he was leaving David Tennant's name was associated with the part really quickly, like about 3 hours after the news broke. It seemed to me that they'd had plenty of time to find a replacement before announcing that CE was leaving which was unusual because months usually went by before they announced who was the new Dr Who in the past

Comment

First of all, David is this *puts fingers REALLY close together* close to taking my number 1 Doctor spot, already occupied by Chris.
            Spoiler:
            the reason for Chris' leaving is a bit murky, they said at first that it was because he didnt want to be typecast, which he has since denied. It is worth pointing out that the original ending to The Parting Of The Ways had Rose dying, and the Doctor absolutely fine, and although Chris had said he wouldnt come back, there was the small chance that he would, when they announced his leaving before they were supposed to he vowed not to return, he came back, filmed the regeneration with David and left. As for David being picked quickly it was because Russel had worked with him in the past (Cassanova) and wanted no one else for the role, Chris was the only one he wanted in S1, when he went, he wanted David (We might have had David as the Ninth Doctor had he not been working on other projects) David is a long time Doctor Who fan and so I doubt he thought about it for more than two secnds before agreeing to a two year contract, with the opportunity to return for longer
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.

Comment

First of all, David is this *puts fingers REALLY close together* close to taking my number 1 Doctor spot, already occupied by Chris.
              Agree with that but insert Peter instead of Chris. I think Chris chose to leave in the end, I said before that if he really wanted to stay I am sure the BBC and Russell could have gotten over the whole stuff up that happened on the announcement. I do genuinely believe Chris thought he would be typecast in the role and maybe there is more than a grain of truth to that reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                Agree with that but insert Peter instead of Chris.
                Peter Davidson fan? He was good, probably the most human of the Docotors, I place him at a very respectable 3rd

Out of interest, lets see which Doctors people liked most. My order

1: Chris Eccleston
                2: Tom Baker
                3: Peter Davidson
                4: John Pertwee
                5: Sylvester McCoy
                6: Patrick Troughton
                7: William Hartnell
                8: Paul McGann
                9: Colin Baker

Im not placing David until the 5th episode of the new series, the one with a certain robot race, I think we will see his best at that point. Im guessing he will be in 1st 2nd or 3rd, cant see him in any lower position

Comment

When you say he can't get more regeneraions becasue Galifrey is lost, Can't the Doctor just Travel back in the TARDIS before it was lost, then "request" more regenerations? Or when you say "Lost" you mean "unable toever get there, ever." kind of thing? I'm confused.

Comment

Well the circumstances are a little murky (I keep saying that these days ) with Galliefreys destruction, if it was just destroyed, then there would be no problem, but I think Im right in saying that if it was destroyed in the time war, it was literally destroyed from time, meaning it cant go back. There are other issues though, for instancethe Doctor was not liked by the Time Lords, put on trial for breaking the laws of time on more than one occasion (it was such a trial that led to his exile on Earth and forced regeneration) I doubt that he would be popular if he went back to Gallifrey. Another problem is the Tardis itself. There are certain failsafes to stop the Doctor or any Tardis user going back to a certain time on Gallifrey, or interacting with themselves in another point in time, this would cause a paradox (see "Father's Day for what happens with that) and therefore is banned by the Time Lords, if he did this they would turn him away, without granting him his new regenerations, possibly even forcing him to regenerate again.
                    The final problem is that the granting of newer Regenerations is a Gallifreyan taboo, and is a rarety (though this is believed to be the Doctors 3rd set of Regenerations, he has lived 3 indevidual lives on Gallifrey, though this is not 100% canon as it is in the novels), unless they gave him them as a reward for his service in the Time War.

Comment

my brian hurts lol glad we have someone who understands this show and thanks for your answer above
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I agree about him being granted more regenerations by the High Council for services rendered

Spoiler:
                        my understanding is that the Doctor destroyed Galifrey on the orders of the high council, as he is the last of the time lords they POSSIBLY granted him extra regenerations to sort out any after effects of the time war, as seen in S27

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
                          When you say he can't get more regeneraions becasue Galifrey is lost, Can't the Doctor just Travel back in the TARDIS before it was lost, then "request" more regenerations? Or when you say "Lost" you mean "unable toever get there, ever." kind of thing? I'm confused.
                          He can't go back across his own timeline, otherwise he could have just stopped the Time Lords being wiped out in the first place (c.f. Father's Day and The Parting of the Ways, just in season 27).

Also, travel into Gallifreyan history was expressly forbidden, so any renegade time lord popping in from the future to ask for something that is almost never granted to anyone is unlikely to receive anything for his pains except a staser bolt to the features.
                          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                            I agree about him being granted more regenerations by the High Council for services rendered

Spoiler:
                            my understanding is that the Doctor destroyed Galifrey on the orders of the high council, as he is the last of the time lords they POSSIBLY granted him extra regenerations to sort out any after effects of the time war, as seen in S27
                            Well we know he caused it, and unless it was a last ditch effort I cant see him doing it without being told to, so that makes sence. I think that whatever he did is what caused the Regeneration from 8-9, but then I suppose it could have happened a long time before then.

Comment

He might find another way to get more generations, after all he is more then a time lord.
                              Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Working...
                              X