No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh p.s. recently seed Judy Dench in Ladies in Lavender - a lovely film!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
      Cheers Astrogeologist
      "As Time Goes By" Is a long running sitcom. I think it ran for about 7 seasons. It aslo has Geoffery Palmer in.
      I haven't the software -for fancy vids - sob - there seems to be so much around from fans on this site. I'm on win95 and 65meg ram so doubt if I could download media player???
      Soo many fans are Soo creative. Another great thing about the show - inspiring!!
      One of the shippers was off to make up a video earlier today and it made me get my finger out and create a music cd. Not stargate releated though. - Fave songs from growing up. It's playing at the moment. It Starts with "Layla" Derek and the Dominoes and this cd ends with Cat Stevens - Just Another Night. I'm really enjoying listening to it. Yellow Brick Road by Elton John is playing now. I guess this dates me eh!
      Windows 95... that's not too old... but only having 65MB of RAM... OUCH! In this audiovisual age, I can't imagine only having 65MB of RAM... two years ago, I upgraded from 128MB to 1 Gigabyte -- I was just so tired of having my system lock up (I was very good at 'hard shut downs')! The extra RAM cost money, but I've had pretty smooth sailing for the past two years. Now I can have 20 windows and 8 different programs open at the same time and the system doesn't even whimper!

You'd love the Stargate music video montages - especially the Sam-centered ones. I am very impressed with the time, effort and creativity of some of the fans! And for their creations to be posted for everyone to view? Such fun!

Do you know anyone with a newer system with more RAM? Someone who would let you borrow their computer for a few hours while you got a chance to check out the Stargate music videos? (Might have to buy them lunch or some such...?)
      As far as dating yourself... then you've dated me too... because I know each of the songs and artists that you listed... Cat Stevens is one my favorites from my high school/college years...

Comment

Astrogeologist
        Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to get a new computer soon. I've had this clunker for 8 years now!! Then I shall have to find all the links to all the vids in the threads!! My only worry is keeping the system protected from viruses and hacking. My current computer seems to be immune thanks to win95!
        I'm a fairly new member and I'm very heartened by how friendly helpful and sharing all the members seem to be. It's just lovely!!

Ahh at last someone who isn't sub 25! I though I may be the only one?! I really like Cat Stevens - got nearly all his CD's. I really enjoyed my compilation CD - a lot of foot tapping tracks - TREX - Metal Guru, I love to Boogie. Moody Blues - I'm just a singer.... Wings - Band on the Run - there was some good stuff about in the 70's!

Comment

By and large the writers have done pretty well by Sam. I think I heard some of that was due to AT's advice to the writers not to write her "as a girl" but as a team member. But I don't think a lesser actress would have gotten us so attached to Sam as a character. When I started watching I loved Jack's irreverence and the good stories. But Sam quickly became a favorite. BTW--I love As Time Goes By. Dame Judy can do just about anything--comedy or drama. Some of you might know her best as the latest M in the James Bond movies.

Comment

I loved how Sam and Daniel handled being interrogated by the "bad guys" in the episode where we meet Martin (later in Wormhole Extreme)--can't remember the episode title. Not only was that a funny scene (IMO) but it really showed Sam cool under pressure and how she and Daniel can practically read each other's minds & work together in a tight spot.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              I think I heard some of that was due to AT's advice to the writers not to write her "as a girl" but as a team member. But I don't think a lesser actress would have gotten us so attached to Sam as a character.
              Nicely stated!

From what I've read AT deeply wants to portray a female officer in a positive and constructive light. She seemed to have a feeling of committment towards all of the women who really are in the military and how tough their lives are (in that male-dominated world).
              Here is an excerpt from an AT interviewthat kind of stuck with me:

[When] asked what sort of colonel Carter is going to be: Tapping stated:"... judging by the women that I’ve met in the military I’m going to conduct myself with grace and dignity and do my job really well." Cult Times (June 2004)

And I've heard AT quoted many times as stating that she wants to be a team member who happens to be a woman... and not the woman who happens to be a team member.
              The following is an excerpt from an interview in last Fall:

"...the thing that makes me so proud of this character and something that we've worked on for eight years is that she's so professional and so smart and so on top of her game and so competent," Tapping said in an interview during a break in filming on the show's Vancouver, B.C., set. "The dynamics between the four of them is so important, and the loyalty to the team and to the program and to exploration and to science." From SciFi Wire and the SciFi Magazine (Aug 2004)
              Portions of these interviews also touch upon the impact of incorporating storylines about Carter's personal life - and AT's views on that. I'm not going to include excerpts here from those portions of the interview however, because it could easily turn the focus of this thread onto the volatile question of ship... and there are already several good on-going threads for ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                Is this "Fireman Sam" video set to the music of the TV show Fireman Sam? That'd be sooo funny
                Don't you mean cringeworthy?
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

You've got to see it... and I guess it takes a quirky sense of humor to enjoy a main protagonist and heroic character set to the music from a cartoon... but the video is well put together... won a Stargate Music Video Award for best vid based on an episode... and I can't watch the vid without smiling... now is that because it's lighthearted... or because it's AT sunny face smiling on the screen?

Comment

There are just too many superb SC/AT moments to put on the thread
                    But here are a few more of my fave's:
                    Her exchange with McKay in the gate room re the pulse machine in Redemeption
                    The following is from the Stargate SG-1 Transcripts website

MCKAY: (To, it looks like Siler who's measuring the distance with a tapemeasure) Right here. (Walks down the ramp, to Sam) You just want to be able to take credit for it when it works.

SAM: (Pointed, just for him ) For the record, I *HATE* you. (Lovely smile on her face)

MCKAY: Well, can't get any worse, then,can it?

SAM: Oh, no. I'm rapidly working up to "Despise".

MCKAY: You know, we're obviously gonna have to get over this physical attraction thing if we're going to work together.

SAM: (Whispers) I think I can act as though it never existed.

MCKAY: Shall we save the world?

SAM: (Sarcastically) Before I take the credit for this ... shouldn't the EM pulse generator be pointed *AT* the gate??

MCKAY: (Points at her) You're good! (Sam points back at him smiling) VERY good! (The SF's turn the EM pulse generator around)

Photo is a screen capture from Redemption Part 2; from the Abydos Gate website.
                    I tried to find a photo on the web that showed the look on AT's face just milliseconds before this... but this was the closest that I could get.
                    Last edited by astrogeologist; 11 March 2005, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                      You've got to see it... and I guess it takes a quirky sense of humor to enjoy a main protagonist and heroic character set to the music from a cartoon... but the video is well put together... won a Stargate Music Video Award for best vid based on an episode... and I can't watch the vid without smiling... now is that because it's lighthearted... or because it's AT sunny face smiling on the screen?
                      I think she has the most wonderful smile and it always lights up the screen.
                      sigpic

Comment

Just the IDEA of Fireman Sam makes me laugh. I did think it myself when watching the ep' but to put a vid together using the music, I think, is genious!!

Thanks for the extract from Redemption Astrogeologist. This kind of scene is why I love Stargate so much - the wondeful humour (and Sam Carter) I believe the Directors were not too happy with the scene, I think they thought it was a little overplayed - they made some comment about it on the commentry. I though it was perfect myself!

I think everyone on the thread is of the universal opinion that they love the way AT has portrayed this character. As a soldier she is totally believable - possibly on the scientific side is a bit expert in too many fields to be totally believable, but I don't mind that too much. It would be a big loss to the show if she decides to leave before the series winds up

Another thread prompted me to watch the opening scene of Metamorphosis last night. Her exchange with Jonas is brilliant. I though the pair acted very well together, there was quite a bit of comedy between them. I was disapointed when Corin left. Jonas was a great character. I though they could have kept both Daniel and Jonas, with Jonas training up on the military side to give the team a bit more beef, as well as forming a great duo with Daniel. Anyway, back top topic Amanda's "Chicken ****" really suprised me, I did chuckle, but it was the first time I noticed the character swear! I wonder if AT fought saying that?

I too loved that interrogation scene, their expressions said it all!!

I'm afraid I'm one of the few, I think, that liked Avenger (apart from the end scene) I though it was hilariously tongue in cheeck and there were some classic acting and scripting moments. I loved the scene at Felgers house. Well the ep appealed to my sense of humour I guess. It was brilliant acting by all three (including Felgers assistant Chloe)

Another fave moment. In Ascention - the opening scene when she repeated "Very advanced" to the general re the newly discovered technology - again perfectly delivered with a perfect expression, and then her look when O'Neil went ahh ahh what did I say?!" - about no touching, she flashed him a wonderful glance.

MS's acting has also come on leaps and bounds. There was a moment near the end of Evolution part 2 when he was holding a bolder. The look he gave it before casting it to one side was one in a million. Also his acting in Lifeboat was brilliant.

Anyway, I do hope TPTB stop trying to girlie Sam up (though maybe Amanda wants to play her different - she must be worried about getting typecast) Amanda does it girlie) perfectly. Her Girlie performance in Chimera makes her a totally different Sam to the one in 2010, or Ascention, again shows what a great actor Amanda is, but I think Sam is more 2010 like than Chimera like off base. Just my opinion though. I also have heard about a particular moment with Pete at the end of one ep in season 8 which had me going "no way what are the writers trying to do to poor Sam?" Lets hope they turn it back around in season 9

Sam/AT Rules!!

Comment

Oh yes - she has the best smile I've seen!!

Comment

Thanks for the extract from Redemption Astrogeologist.
                            I dug out my Season 6 DVDs and played with making my own screen captures...
                            ... and made this excerpt panel from that little scene with the pulse generator. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...5XjWtqa_ph.jpg

"Before I take the credit for this ... shouldn't the EM pulse generator be pointed *AT* the gate??"

And I thought that short exchange between Carter and McKay was wonderful!

After your reference to it, I listened to the Director's Audio Commentary and I think that one of the directors was stating that he didn't care for having two characters with humorous lines at the same time... I think the director prefers the standard pairing of a funny guy with a 'straight man'. But I disagree in this case - I think that this scene played out wonderfully for both characters! Both actors did a wonderful and playful job with it. AT delivered sarcastic, yet playful humor (not easy to do). I also thought it was a great widening of the scope of Carter's character... get her out of that serious straightjacket a little. She's always smiling at O'Neill's sarcastic humor... so let her show a little of her own every now and then.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by astrogeologist; 11 March 2005, 08:28 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing your pic. I'm getting the red cross.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
                                I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing your pic. I'm getting the red cross.
                                Hmmm.... I booted up my other computer... and then opened this thread... and the pic is showing up ok for me... hmmm...

So... I edited my previous post above and added a link directly to the pic
                                And then I also uploaded the pic to Gateworld and added it as an attachment to the previous posting.

Let me know if neither of those is accessible for you

Comment

Working...
                                X