Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate fans obsessed with sex? (Spoilers for Prometheus Unbound)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate fans obsessed with sex? (Spoilers for Prometheus Unbound)

This is spoiler-ific, so the whole thing’s in spoiler space.

Spoiler:
    I just watched PU for the second time, then came here to look over the latest comments about it. There seems to be a pretty solid split between like and absolute hate, with no middle ground to be found.

One of the things that has drawn a lot of ire is Vala’s blatant sexual comments toward Daniel. (I’ve seen ‘vamp’ and ‘sex obsessed nympho’ tossed around.) Claudia Black described the character as manipulative, and it’s apparent that sexuality is a tool in Vala’s arsenal. She was using other tools as well, that are getting overlooked.

While she tried to appeal to Daniel with sexuality throughout the episode, she used two other methods of manipulation. First she tried using pain and fear. She had him tied up, threatened him, and eventually shot him to try to draw out information. This, folks, is plain, old-fashioned torture.

When that didn’t work, she turned on the charm. That failed, too, and Daniel eventually gained the upper hand. I think she realized when she woke up in the brig how he thought, and what would really get to him. He had obviously taken great care to get her to the brig (alive!), and not leave her naked after he took her armor. Certainly she realized she had not been mistreated in any other way. This would have told her that Daniel respected human dignity and life.

So she appealed to his sympathy by sharing her own story of slavery to a Goa’uld, which I suspect is mostly true. Mixed in with that, she wove a tale of desperate refugees, trying to escape Ba’al’s clutches. It was a story he had really experienced, dozens of times. And even though he was suspicious of her, he essentially bought into it.

I’ll be the first to admit that this episode was mainly just a bit of fun before the heavy-hitting episodes that will finish the season. That said, there was some skilled characterization, and an interesting set up to re-introduce the character next season. She didn’t leave on the best of terms, and she won't come back on them, either.

a time to mourn

Since this is in the S8 folder, this might count as a spoiler thread. I'd reply, but it's too freaky having a conversation in white text. Let's figure out how to move it to a legible zone.

Edited to add: what I meant by "spoiler thread" is that it may not have to be whited out. Check with the mods on this.

Later,
    Graculus
    Last edited by graculus; 26 December 2004, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Hmm... good post. And in answer to your question: considering the focal point of many of these PU debates, that seems to be the case.

-Bloodaxe

Comment

To answer your question:

Yes. We are indeed very obsessed.

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
          Since this is in the S8 folder, this might count as a spoiler thread. I'd reply, but it's too freaky having a conversation in white text. Let's figure out how to move it to a legible zone.

Edited to add: what I meant by "spoiler thread" is that it may not have to be whited out. Check with the mods on this.

Later,
          Graculus
          i believe that there should be a spoiler forum all by itself, where us spoilerers dont have to use tags. as for the episode, i haven't seen it, but the screenshots did look kind of weird.
          ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
            This is spoiler-ific, so the whole thing’s in spoiler space.

Spoiler:
            I just watched PU for the second time, then came here to look over the latest comments about it. There seems to be a pretty solid split between like and absolute hate, with no middle ground to be found.

One of the things that has drawn a lot of ire is Vala’s blatant sexual comments toward Daniel. (I’ve seen ‘vamp’ and ‘sex obsessed nympho’ tossed around.) Claudia Black described the character as manipulative, and it’s apparent that sexuality is a tool in Vala’s arsenal. She was using other tools as well, that are getting overlooked.

While she tried to appeal to Daniel with sexuality throughout the episode, she used two other methods of manipulation. First she tried using pain and fear. She had him tied up, threatened him, and eventually shot him to try to draw out information. This, folks, is plain, old-fashioned torture.

When that didn’t work, she turned on the charm. That failed, too, and Daniel eventually gained the upper hand. I think she realized when she woke up in the brig how he thought, and what would really get to him. He had obviously taken great care to get her to the brig (alive!), and not leave her naked after he took her armor. Certainly she realized she had not been mistreated in any other way. This would have told her that Daniel respected human dignity and life.

So she appealed to his sympathy by sharing her own story of slavery to a Goa’uld, which I suspect is mostly true. Mixed in with that, she wove a tale of desperate refugees, trying to escape Ba’al’s clutches. It was a story he had really experienced, dozens of times. And even though he was suspicious of her, he essentially bought into it.

I’ll be the first to admit that this episode was mainly just a bit of fun before the heavy-hitting episodes that will finish the season. That said, there was some skilled characterization, and an interesting set up to re-introduce the character next season. She didn’t leave on the best of terms, and she won't come back on them, either.
            Sex isn't bad if u can get it

Comment

Isn't it okay if you put "Spoiler" in the title of the thread? I think it would be interesting to discuss Vala's various non-sexual strategies, but I'd rather not do it in white text...

Later,
              Graculus

Comment

i dont know about the sex obessed thing, but i thought this whole episode was hiliarous, specially the look on daniels face..um..i dunno if i can say anything cause i dont know where its aired, but those who have seen it know what i'm saying.

Comment

If we weren't obsessed with sex we wouldn't be human.
                  Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

true
                    MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                    I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

I really liked her character. One of those crazy hot chicks.

Comment

Originally posted by DelTrax1

You don't have to be obssessed with sex to be human .

You just need feelings to be human and those feeling makes you want to make love to somebody.

Vala wanted sex ..she is probably a sex maniac ..and to be honest too much for Daniel ..I just can't see Daniel as a sex maniac ..he has very deep feelings for a person ..Sharee, Sara..so Vala unless she changes is a hell of a burden to have around Can Daniel cope ?!!! May if he can Zat her each time .

Caty

Comment

I see that we're getting a bit off the SG1 formula. What ever happened to archeology and getting aruond the universe - not the bed room? If the show turns into hormone ridden Scientists roaming the un known universe, I'm skipping season 9.
                          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
                            You don't have to be obssessed with sex to be human .

You just need feelings to be human and those feeling makes you want to make love to somebody.

Vala wanted sex ..she is probably a sex maniac ..and to be honest too much for Daniel ..I just can't see Daniel as a sex maniac ..he has very deep feelings for a person ..Sharee, Sara..so Vala unless she changes is a hell of a burden to have around Can Daniel cope ?!!! May if he can Zat her each time .

Caty
                            Why does wanting sex make Vala a nymphomaniac? If she were a guy (trying to seduce, say, Carter), would you make the same comment?

And why couldn't she simply be using sex as a tool to try and manipulate Daniel into doing what she wants him to do? A means, not an end.
                            My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                            -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                            -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                            -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by DelTrax1
                              Exactly... Look what happened to the Asguard!!!

No Sex = big head, black eyes, small limbs, and no wee-wee!!! If anything SG1 should have more sex, otherwise all that super-human genetic material is lost!!! LOST!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X