Favorite TV Show Tourney - (2005-2011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raduzhok View Post
    I actually watched S:AaB beginning to end when it was broadcast originally. At the time, it was definitely my favorite show. I'm glad it will come in second.

I'd also like to say that I've actually started catching some reruns of shows I never saw to begin with because of this tourney. Interesting that.
    Yeah, Space: Above and Beyond was a great show and the finale demonstrated how a series should be concluded. That alone swayed my vote away from Stargate. If SG-1 ended at season seven with us hanging at O'Neill's fate, then I probably would've voted Stargate to win.

Can't say there's many shows in the list that I would really want to watch for the first time. There are a couple of series in the list that I never finished and would love to catch the last few seasons or episodes.

The only show I'm rewatching at the minute is B5 and I'm trying to get DS9 restarted again, but there's too many clunky episodes getting in my way.

Anyway, thanks for taking over LS and thanks to Joe for creating this tourney.
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

LS is there a deadline for first nomination round? When is the official start of it all?

MF I actually found some of my favorite shows when they'd gotten into reruns after the series end. MacGyver is one of them. Right now I'm such a forensic geek that I've even started watching NCIS after a friend of mine told me about it over and over.

I watched maybe one ep, two at most of B5. I'd have to find the pilot and start from the beginning to probably appreciate it. Never did get into DS9.

I almost stopped watch SG-1 when they switched it over to SciFi (syfy now). I think I missed two seasons, then picked it up again. But you may be right about when it would have been best to give it a good send off.

This last season there was a show, "Life On Mars" which was cancelled but they allowed it to run the full season even when they'd decided to cancel it right away. Great show to begin with, but a stunning ending! I wish they'd renewed.
      sigpic

Comment

I'll go on and write up an official post to kick off the nomination round. I say let's shoot for nominations to be wrapped up by next Sunday.

I like NCIS, but yeah I watch it mostly in reruns on the USA channel. MacGyver I watched when it originally ran which is part of the reason I gave SG-1 a look. I watched DS9 on Sunday nights and when it ended its run in 1999, my local channel picked up SG-1 Season 2 in syndication to air in its spot.

I tried to watch the American version of Life on Mars (British version is the original) but something else conflicted with it.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Favorite TV Show Tourney (1990-1994)

Welcome back to the regulars, and welcome to any new players that want to join in the fun. Thanks go to Joe (teal'c2006) for getting this thread started and running the first two tournaments.

RULES:

STEP 1: Nomination Round
          • Each player gets FIVE votes to nominate a show for the tourney. Show is automatically in. There will be no need to get someone else to second your nomination.

• To qualify for the tourney, the first episode of the show had to originally air between January 1, 1990 and December 31, 1994.

• Animated shows/cartoons, game shows, talk shows, mini series, etc are welcome.

• Feel free to suggest as many shows as you want and then beg, bribe ask others to vote for them. Clearly mark your actual votes though.

• The Nomination Round kicks off when this post is posted and is scheduled to end Sunday, August 2. Of course it may not actually end on that date knowing us , but that's the deadline I'm setting, and we'll go from there.

• There might be a bonus round. We'll see how the initial nominating goes first.

Places to look for shows (just make sure to verify...on like imdb...that they actually fit the rules for the tourney):

list of US network tv schedules

list of years in tv on wiki

TV.com

Retro Junk

epguides.com

If you find other good places to look, post them please and I'll add them.

STEP 2: Elimination Rounds
          • Begins after the Nomination Round is complete.

• Tourney is played survivor style. Shows are eliminated each round till we have a final winner.

• Vote for your least favorite shows from the "What's Left" list each round.

• Please list your votes in alphabetical order.

• You only vote once per round.

• No tie breakers until we get down to 30 shows remaining.

• I'll count up the votes on Sundays and Wednesdays...hopefully by noon my time which is CST US time and GMT -6:00 for the folks in the UK. Possibly sooner if I see all the regulars have voted, but I'll be counting on those days regardless of whether everyone has voted or not.

So get nominating! The next post will be updated with what's in.

And of course if anyone has suggestions or questions about the tourney, speak up.
          Last edited by LoneStar1836; 25 July 2009, 08:23 AM.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Final Tournament Results for 1990-1994

Co-WINNERS:

Babylon 5

&

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Top 10

Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman
            Frasier
            Highlander
            Homicide: Life on the Street
            ER
            The X-Files
            The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
            Northern Exposure
            Babylon 5
            Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Complete Results:
            Spoiler:

Round 1 - The Powers That Be - 1992
            Round 2 - The Secret World of Alex Mack - 1994
            Round 3 - Homefront - 1991
            Round 4 - was a mass culling:
            • Bagdad Cafe - 1990
              Ellen - 1994
              Iron Chef - 1993
              Reasonable Doubts - 1991
              Rugrats - 1991
              Seinfeld - 1990
              Silk Stalkings - 1991
              Touched by an Angel - 1994
              Wings - 1990

Round 5 - Have I Got News for You - 1990
            Round 6 -
            • Doug - 1991
              I'll Fly Away - 1991
              Picket Fences - 1992

Round 7 - Matrix - 1993
            Round 8 - The Flash - 1990
            Round 9 -
            • Dinosaurs - 1991
              Prime Suspect - 1991
              seaQuest DSV - 1993
              The Vicar of Dibley - 1994
              Twin Peaks - 1990

Round 10 - Due South - 1994
            Round 11 - Friends - 1994
            Round 12 - Earth 2 - 1994
            Round 13 - Eerie, Indiana - 1991
            Round 14 - Sharpe - 1993
            Round 15 - Walker, Texas Ranger - 1993
            Round 16 - NYPD Blue - 1993

Top 20
            ................................................................................

Round 17 - Animaniacs - 1993
            Round 18 - Mad About You - 1992
            Round 19 - Batman: The Animated Series - 1992
            Round 20 - Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman - 1993
            Round 21 - Forever Knight - 1992
            Round 22 - Home Improvement - 1991
            Round 23 - Time Trax - 1993
            Round 24 - Cracker (the original UK version) - 1993
            Round 25 - The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - 1993
            Round 26 - Law and Order - 1990

Top 10
            ................................................................................ ...............

Round 27 - Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman - 1993
            Round 28 - Frasier - 1993
            Round 29 - Highlander - 1992
            Round 30 - Homicide: Life on the Street - 1993
            Round 31 - ER - 1994
            Round 32 - The X-Files - 1993
            Round 33 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - 1990
            Round 34 - Northern Exposure - 1990

Final Round ended in a tie, so the winners are:

Babylon 5 - 1994
            Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - 1993

Last edited by LoneStar1836; 25 June 2010, 09:23 AM.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
              I'll go on and write up an official post to kick off the nomination round. I say let's shoot for nominations to be wrapped up by next Sunday.

I like NCIS, but yeah I watch it mostly in reruns on the USA channel. MacGyver I watched when it originally ran which is part of the reason I gave SG-1 a look. I watched DS9 on Sunday nights and when it ended its run in 1999, my local channel picked up SG-1 Season 2 in syndication to air in its spot.

I tried to watch the American version of Life on Mars (British version is the original) but something else conflicted with it.
              YAY!!!!!!!!!! will post my nominations soon as I check on the dates.

I have been catching one NCIS every USA day it's on. I don't have time for all three when they do their back-to-back-to-back thing.

I definitely want to see if I can find the British version of 'Life On Mars' just to see what it was like. We were running into problems with other things conflicting, so went out and bought a DVD-Recorder lol... Only thing it didn't help was the day when there were at least 3 conflicts in any given hour.
              sigpic

Comment

Round Nominations

1) Forever Knight - 1992
                2) Iron Chef - 1993
                3) Mad About You - 1992
                4) Northern Exposure - 1990
                5) Twin Peaks - 1990
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                  ... I'm trying to get DS9 restarted again, but there's too many clunky episodes getting in my way.
                  Dude, struggle through. I did it last year, totally worth it once you get through the first season or so.

Speaking of...

Round 0

1) Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993)

Comment

Round 0

1. The X-Files - 1993
                    2. Wings - 1990
                    3. Seinfeld - 1990......TS needs something to vote for in the first round till whenever.

Suggestions I'm tossing out....

Babylon 5 - 1994....leaving that one for you MF
                    The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - 1993
                    Walker, Texas Ranger - 1993....I know I'm not the only one who has watched that show. Any one else brave enough to admit it?
                    Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman - 1993
                    Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman - 1993
                    Homicide: Life on the Street - 1993
                    seaQuest DSV - 1993
                    Party of Five - 1994
                    Due South - 1994
                    ER - 1994
                    Chicago Hope - 1994
                    Keeping Up Appearances - 1990

Rocko's Modern Life - 1993
                    Rugrats - 1991
                    Doug - 1991
                    The Ren & Stimpy Show - 1991
                    Aaahh!!! Real Monsters - 1994
                    Last edited by LoneStar1836; 24 July 2009, 09:31 AM.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

Round 0

Law and Order (1990)
                      sigpic

Comment

Just want to be sure - Do we have to 2nd anything or our 5 nomimations go thru?

Because there are already several shows I would have nominated that have already been mentioned (Forever Knight, Wings, XF) - YEAH!!!
                        sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                          Just want to be sure - Do we have to 2nd anything or our 5 nomimations go thru?

Because there are already several shows I would have nominated that have already been mentioned (Forever Knight, Wings, XF) - YEAH!!!
                          They automatically go in.

Saves me and y'all the trouble of having to keep track of what has been nominated and what's been 2nded if we did it the usual way...that's why you only get 5 votes.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

I hope I am doing this right These are the shows I watched and liked out of what has been said I won't have internet access until monday but we get 5 votes right

Babylon 5 - 1994...
                            Walker, Texas Ranger - 1993.... I have no qualms about saying I liked this show
                            Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman - 1993 this either I loved this show
                            Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman - 1993 this either I liked this show too
                            ER - 1994

Could some one nominate Quantum leap for me if it fits the time frame right
                            sigpic
                            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                              Round 0

1. The X-Files - 1993
                              2. Wings - 1990
                              3. Seinfeld - 1990......TS needs something to vote for in the first round till whenever.

Suggestions I'm tossing out....

Babylon 5 - 1994....leaving that one for you MF
                              The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - 1993
                              Walker, Texas Ranger - 1993....I know I'm not the only one who has watched that show. Any one else brave enough to admit it?
                              Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman - 1993
                              Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman - 1993
                              Homicide: Life on the Street - 1993
                              seaQuest DSV - 1993
                              Party of Five - 1994
                              Due South - 1994
                              ER - 1994
                              Chicago Hope - 1994
                              Keeping Up Appearances - 1990

Rocko's Modern Life - 1993
                              Rugrats - 1991
                              Doug - 1991
                              The Ren & Stimpy Show - 1991
                              Aaahh!!! Real Monsters - 1994

we can do cartoons???

if so

1) Doug - 1991 ~ w00t QUAILMANNNNNNNNNNNN!!!
                              2) Home Improvement - 1991
                              3) Friends - 1994 (ok someone had to do it ... )

teehee!!
                              Last edited by aintright; 24 July 2009, 06:57 PM.
                              sigpic
                              SCORE!!
                              The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

Aww... I was beaten to B5.

I was gonny give a Hell Yeah! to Quantum Leap, but it first aired in 1989.

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                                Dude, struggle through. I did it last year, totally worth it once you get through the first season or so.
                                I watched all of DS9 during its first run, so I know what to expect from the episodes. I'm going to struggle on with my rewatch and surely I'll get past most of the dull episodes.

It is a great show and it was good at what it did, however, my preferred show set on a space station is pretty much obvious.

Round 0

1. Due South! Hell Yeah!

Rad, if you liked the US version of Life on Mars, you should definitely check out the British version. It ran to its conclusion at the end of the second series. It was some of the best television I've watched, ever.
                                "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Working...
                                X