Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
    I would highly recommend against that. First off, any sort of reaction drive will show up like a flare once the plume clears the cloaking field, second, inertia less drives have to be fine tuned, so that the gravitic signature of their drives don';t show up, a stealth ship will most likely accelerate to cruise speed, then coast into a system, sung in system bodies and very weak accelerations to slow down for loiter.
    That's exactly what I meant. You're not going to sneak towards people with engines running. That's why you drop out of hyperspace far away, and sneak in with power off.

You don't light up the engines until you've struck at your target, and even then it should only be for a few moments until you get your hyperspace window up and jump away.

Comment

Whats going on with the next challenge if Boberth is gone for 7 weeks?

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
        Whats going on with the next challenge if Boberth is gone for 7 weeks?
        He said someone could take over for him in that time. I offered since I can't compete in this challenge anyway but I don't know what's up.

Comment

Yeah you can do it finger
          sigpic
          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
            Its going to be quite a while because bob is not here for 7 weeks...I think.
            Well, he could just tell Finger who the judges are (or have finger select them, if they aren't yet), and finger could wrap it up.
            sigpic

Spoiler:
            Originally posted by IMDB
            Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
            Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
              Well, he could just tell Finger who the judges are (or have finger select them, if they aren't yet), and finger could wrap it up.
              That's probably how it will go.

I'll write up a description of the challenge and set the due date in a few hours.

We can be flexible with the due date. What would you guys prefer? A month? The full 7 weeks?

Comment

The Eighth Challenge

Hello everyone,

I'll be running this challenge until Bob's return (7 weeks or so). The rules will basically be the same as they always have been, but I want to try something a little different for this challenge because I think that given the circumstances they will be justified.

So here are the rules:
                • Technology DOES NOT have to be from the show, but there ARE rules.
                  For this one single challenge, I want to drop the "only technology seen in the show" to an extent, but not completely. I agree with Bob that there need to be restrictions on the tech so that people don't build ridiculously fanwank ships. It would ruin the challenges and can get annoying. I know that a lot of you were upset with the 'only tech seen in the show' requirement in the previous challenge, so I am willing to curb it a bit. Since we're in the realm of stealth technologies, I for one think that it would be interesting for people to think up some new and inventive ways for ships to achieve their stealth.

While I am granting leniency in the technologies available and they do not have to have been seen before in the franchise, I am asking people to be logical in their explanations for their technologies. If you think that you can explain a logical way to keep a ship the size of a Hive invisible to sensors and/or sight, please explain in detail. Simply strapping a ZPM to an Ancient cloak isn't very original and will be frowned upon.
                • Make sure that your ship's role makes sense.
                  Even though you are free to create new technologies for the stealth technology, let's try to keep it realistic. Cloaking technology is still very advanced in the Stargate Universe, so it isn't very likely that we'd suddenly see giant carriers cloaking and uncloaking.

Furthermore, this is a Stealth Ship contest, not a 'ship with a cloak' contest. I would not consider the Odyssey a stealth ship, so please keep that in mind.
                • Other Details
                  I won't impose a limit on size, but realistically I don't think that these stealth ships should be too large. Remember that the larger the ship, the higher the power requirements for the shield/cloak. I should think that in the final judging of the entries, judges may frown upon unrealistic specifications, so keep it practical.

THE DUE DATE WILL BE JULY 31st Depending on people's schedules and Bob's absence, we could postpone the due date until the first or second week of August. If you think you guys will need a longer period of time, say so.

Other than that, I can't think of many more details that need to be addressed. If there are any suggestions that you guys have, let me know.

So get started and post your work for us to see!
                Last edited by Finger13; 21 June 2009, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Time to put on the thinking cap then.........might look into the Mass Effect Stealth system.

Comment

YES!

good finger, its time to get creative with technology. and we have techno know-alls here so we can always ask em. (them being Crazy Tom and Splitsecond, and perhaps a few more)

Comment

I like the idea, only if the technology is easily understandable as stargate tech. I always think that any tech in a challenge entry should be seen as branched off from current tech.

After all we have seen cloaking devices on puddle jumpers and advanced stealth tech from the Asgard.

sigpic

Comment

My current idea is to not cloak the ship at all. It's actually quite easy to not see things in space with the naked eye, so having as few light sources coming off a ship could make it invisible unless it's between you and a light source.

I'm not 100% sure what it is the SG sensors detect.... but until i'm told different, i'm going to assume it's heat and radiation. My idea is to absorb the heat and radiation before it leaves the ship and store it internally. This way it gives the ship a specific time period it can stay stealthy for.

A quick (but BIG) image of what i've got atm
                        Spoiler:

The blue box is 150m by 75m... and the small yellow box is a 6 foot person... so you have an idea of the size

Comment

Looks great...will it have pop out engines like a puddle jumper?

sigpic

Comment

Actually i might not take part. Want to get some of my book done.

Count me out of this one. Good modeling to the participaints.
                            Last edited by Experiment 442; 22 June 2009, 08:14 AM.
                            Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                            sigpic

Comment

Looks great...will it have pop out engines like a puddle jumper?
                              not sure yet.... might have the thrusters static, but with moving covers that come over the thrusters and hyper drive ports when the stealth system is activated.

I'm also looking at having the bridge in the middle of the ship, rather than on the outside.....

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                YES!

good finger, its time to get creative with technology. and we have techno know-alls here so we can always ask em. (them being Crazy Tom and Splitsecond, and perhaps a few more)
                                I'm not trying to thwart Bob's technology rule though, simply bending it this one time since we haven't seen much stealth tech in Stargate. I hope he doesn't mind.

I like the idea, only if the technology is easily understandable as stargate tech. I always think that any tech in a challenge entry should be seen as branched off from current tech.

After all we have seen cloaking devices on puddle jumpers and advanced stealth tech from the Asgard.
                                But we have no idea how those tech work, which is why I bent the rules a bit. If every one was confined to the Ancient cloaks, the Asgard stealth, and whatever the cloakable Ha'taks used then it'd be kind of boring.

I agree though, the tech shouldn't be too far fetched, that's why I told people to keep it practical.

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
                                My current idea is to not cloak the ship at all. It's actually quite easy to not see things in space with the naked eye, so having as few light sources coming off a ship could make it invisible unless it's between you and a light source.

I'm not 100% sure what it is the SG sensors detect.... but until i'm told different, i'm going to assume it's heat and radiation. My idea is to absorb the heat and radiation before it leaves the ship and store it internally. This way it gives the ship a specific time period it can stay stealthy for.

A quick (but BIG) image of what i've got atm
                                Spoiler:

The blue box is 150m by 75m... and the small yellow box is a 6 foot person... so you have an idea of the size
                                Cool start.

Comment

Working...
                                X