Mass Effect universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least Valve was clever enough to poke fun at it

Alyx in HL2, after talking a whole lot about the situation in City 17: "...you don't talk much, do you?"
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      At least Valve was clever enough to poke fun at it

Alyx in HL2, after talking a whole lot about the situation in City 17: "...you don't talk much, do you?"
      Heroes who don't talk are awesome! Like Link in Zelda...if Gordon was to talk my opinion on the entire HL franchise might change!

Comment

I finished the Kasumi mission last night so here's my thoughts.

-Way more worth it in terms of money and time than firewalker was

-A couple of nice new music tracks

-Nice new outfits for Sheppard. I finished it with my femshep so I can't comment on manshep directly but I think he gets an illusive man style suit out of it. You can wear the special outfit for the rest of the game as "casual" wear.

-Kasumi herself is quite powerful, mainly due to her one skill "shadow strike" or something to that effect. It lets her teleport across entire rooms, her second skill is also overload with is likewise extremely useful. I haven't taken her out in a normal mission yet, or used her flash bombs, to get a real honest comparison but in her own mission she seemed more than capable, even when considering that she's the only ally you get for the whole thing.

-Zaeed style "tell stories about misc objects to a mute Shepard" voicing method sadly won out again.

-Her loyalty mission was fun, had some great visuals and music, and probably ranks as one of my favorites of all the loyalty missions now.

-Looking forward to running Kasumi through a new game from the beginning to hear her various situational dialog, I don't see her ever becoming a liability to the team like some characters can in certain missions.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          As for why I would want both the dialogue and for it to be spoken? I think it detracts from Dragon Age for there to be no primary voice-over. They've obviously already got all the responses recorded and in the game, so what would've been so difficult about hiring one more voice actor?
          I kinda liked it that way.
          At first, I too was initially wondering "huh? no voice for me?", but I think it was better in the long run (I actually think that there should be a toggle to turn off the combat/interaction 'noises' that my character makes. Esp. the annoying 'ladder comment' ).

For one thing, I wouldn't end up hearing a voice I don't like or would think doesn't belong to the character I made (might work for ME, but not necessarily DA:O, after all. Oh, and I think that's one of the reasons I don't play manShep...I kinda don't like Meer's voice, esp. when compared to Hale's femShep).

re: Kasumi
          Haven't gotten it yet...still need to finish my current ME1 playthrough...
          <--- too lazy to play (that and I blame fanfics...)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xarn View Post
            Nah, I mean the DLCs in general, not kasumi's one in particular. Some of them are well worth it (I don't have anything against those ^.^), but some of them feel like shameless ripoff.
            Gotcha.

Originally posted by Xarn View Post
            The problem is that you end up with situation like releasing the rachni queen, which is supposed to be moral dilema, where you don't know what to do... Or you wouldn't, if the choices weren't always blue, top left: charm; red, bottom left: intimidate; top right: paragon; mid right: neutral; bottom right: renegade. (I rather won't talk about what I think about naming the paths paragon/renegade in context of actions chosen by those respective characters ingame... That would take way more time than I have (+ I would have to go through ME1/2 again))
            It's still a moral choice, though. Yes, you do know which option is which (whether it's paragon, neutral, or renegade), but what you don't know which is the better choice, which is sometimes executed better than at other times. Bring Down the Sky, for my most quoted example. Even knowing what's what, which is really the best choice?

As for the voice of Shepard, gotthammer, I tend to think that Meer does better renegade and Hale does better paragon. Which is why I usually take the former.

Comment

Does anyone know if Miranda and Jacob were a slight nod to the Halo franchise? As in Jacob and Miranda Keyes?
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I very much doubt it.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Did anyone notice the dialogue of rogue Shepard, they're hilarious as hell in Mass Effect 2.

Comment

Yup. I avoided rogue for tw reasons, one because I like being the good guy, and two because the rebel phrases are cripplingly embarrassing
                    sigpic
                    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

I love playing rogue, the dialogue options are pretty much always funnier

Comment

true....true......on my next play through, I may just go all rogue
                        sigpic
                        385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

I think they were maybe trying show the fact that, whilst still the better of two evil choices, many of them were just that. shepard is no longer the cut and dry good-guy, fighting for the good guys. he is gone rogue, so he will do anythignt o save humanity (nothign wrong with that) and that even the 'paragon' choice is one that may be hard to stomach
                          sigpic
                          385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

It is true that he is more "brutal" if you like in ME2 though i found it hard to decide on some of the choices particularly the ones the Elusive man asked you to do, his outcome seemed a bit to ... extreme for my likeing :/

Comment

i just don't particulalry like the way the renegade acts. You can be cold, calculating and know nothing but the mission without making petty quips and being a bully, which he is in ME2. I much prefer the Paragon answers, as, despite thier darker nature, they are more akin to real than being all goody two shoes, all the time
                              sigpic
                              385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                                i just don't particulalry like the way the renegade acts. You can be cold, calculating and know nothing but the mission without making petty quips and being a bully, which he is in ME2. I much prefer the Paragon answers, as, despite thier darker nature, they are more akin to real than being all goody two shoes, all the time
                                The man has a point though, i found that if you didn't go all good or evil half the content remained locked there was no middle ground this annoyed me a little bit unlike compaired to previouse games like KoToR where there was more of a personal thing as opposed to oh which one gives me the most points to make me able to unlock this bit of dialoge :/

Comment

Working...
                                X