This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Reality of War

In a sci-fi that revolves around war and conflict do you prefer a show that revolves around a select few of characters, showing their journey and their sometine 'deus ex machina' escapes or a show that focuses on the conflict on a hole, and isn't affraid to kill of it's characters?

Is there a show that focuses on the war itself and not a few characters? B5 was a combination of the two, with several major conflicts but it was still based on the large main casts reactions and evolution. SGA has(had) an opportunity to do a massive war with the introduction of the Wraith, but they decided to make them Goa'uld clones.

Most famous sci-fi war shows are character focused. I'd like a show that's a little bit more focused on the whole war than just a single ship and whatnot, but the show still has to be character driven. That's why I always suggest many regulars and many recurring characters. That way you can kill off characters and not lose 25% of your main characters.

Comment

^ As in DS9. Killed many of it's recurring, and even one of it's main characters.

I wouldn't say it's really possible to show the war as a whole. The point of a TV show is to get attached to the main characters, if they keep on killing them, then what's the point? A new guy appears and for all intents and purposes he's a red shirt. Only a matter of time... It's best when as aAnubiSs said, many regulars is the best way. That way you still "grieve" with the other characters but it's not really damaging to the show as a whole. IMHO.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
        Most famous sci-fi war shows are character focused. I'd like a show that's a little bit more focused on the whole war than just a single ship and whatnot, but the show still has to be character driven. That's why I always suggest many regulars and many recurring characters. That way you can kill off characters and not lose 25% of your main characters.
        I totally agree. Shows like that just come off as more epic to me. And that emotional feeling of losing a regular cast member can be a very powerful thing. That's why it is smart to have plenty of regular and recurring characters.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

i think ds9 especially from its 5th season onward explores the realitys of war an example of this is nor the battle to the strong which i think really shows how civilians are effected by war and it showed how cowardice can put you at more risk or save your life

Comment

^I was also quite partial to "The Siege of AR-558" to show the effects of war.. That episode IMO was must watch TV.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by RuleBritannia
              In a sci-fi that revolves around war and conflict do you prefer a show that revolves around a select few of characters, showing their journey and their sometine 'deus ex machina' escapes or a show that focuses on the conflict on a hole, and isn't affraid to kill of it's characters?
              I much rather prefer a show that revolves around the characters.

I like the ones already mentioned. Space: Above and Beyond was another great one that focused on the characters while the war was just the backdrop.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                ^I was also quite partial to "The Siege of AR-558" to show the effects of war.. That episode IMO was must watch TV.
                Is that Nogs first battle. I love that episode, pure brilliance in showing the evils of war.
                Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Anything done by Joss Whedon. While yes Buffy and Angel are fantasy, not sci-fi, Serenity/Firefly are sci-fi.
                  I am both Pro-Keller and Pro-Beckett. No amount of Hail Mary's will save my soul from hell.

Comment

Working...
                  X