Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet Another Gap Year

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I created the "Julian Richings for Doc12" video on youtube, so when we instead got Peter Capaldi, a 50+ year old actor who didn't look like any that had gone before him (in the new era), I was quite pleased. His first 2 years didn't produce amazing results IMO (some good stories, but a pointless "Am I a good man?" season long arc for his first year), but I think his last season was pretty good. Well worth catching up @Sgalisa.

    To be fair, even at only 10 x 55 minute episodes per season, they are still making more output than the original era did in its last 4 years (which were 14 x half hour). But, it still feels like it's being whittled away...
    as seen on YouTube - thecosmichobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

    Comment


      #17
      Most British series are only 6 episodes of 1h or 4 of 1.5h (Sherlock). I'd rather have 6 plus Christmas of Dr Who if they can do it every year.

      Comment


        #18
        If they reduce the show to 6 hour episodes per year, they'd better improve the quality...

        I know the BBC has no mandate to compete with commercial enterprises, yada yada, but if they want to be taken seriously, I think they need to keep a higher episode count.

        I also appreciate that the UK does tv differently to the US - AND - I would not want them to churn out 22 episodes per year like we used to see from sci-fi shows of the 80's-00's (cos you would absolutely have a bunch of crap episodes, and have to dig through to find the good ones) BUT - By the sounds of things, since the series returned, the "showrunner" has been the issue with producing a "full" season per year. RTD managed it, but apparently at great mental and emotional cost. No one else has.

        To me, that means - "It's broke" - so - Fix it. Have 2 showrunners. Have a showrunner, and 170 helpers. Surely there are tasks that can be handled by someone other than the showrunner, in order to achieve better results.
        as seen on YouTube - thecosmichobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          I've watched many of the "old" episodes, and all since the 2005 reboot. At no time do I recall the show being as in your face about a political message as it is this season. When did the Doctor ever break the 4th wall and outright make a speech to the audience as was done in "Orphan55" ?
          Err, YES it has been.
          Breaking the 4th wall is more noticeable now because since the re-boot, they have been more honest about it.
          Scifi -in general- has ALWAYS been preachy, because it pushes HOPE. You may not have noticed it then, but it has ALWAYS been there.
          Perhaps it takes it getting obvious for you to actually notice it?
          Maybe less noticeable to you, because you agree with the message. But it stands out like a sore thumb to me. And it's not as if I insist the messages in entertainment be ones that I agree with; if I did, I would have very little to watch; the media is overwhelmingly biased to the left. "Last Man Standing" is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that has a right-leaning message,
          What a load of crap.
          It's not about left or right, it's about what is RIGHT. Both sides can provide useful idea's, but you don't seem to understand that.
          Forget parties, go with what works. Sometimes the right has better idea's and that is fine, sometimes the left has better idea's, and that's fine as well.
          Don't be beholden to a party.
          Only because the audience puts up with it. If audiences stop coming back, they will stop with the extended hiatus periods. If they don't run S13 till fall 2021, and the audience doesn't come back, that will hurt them in the wallet. And, considering Chibnall's handling of the show, S13 might be a good one to miss.
          It's English TV, not US TV.
          It's a different beast. Your problem with Chibnall is...……… well, irrelevant. Stop watching if it offends you so much. Or, keep watching, and get ignored.
          Your choice.

          I have no issue with Whittaker, I like her portrayal. But Chibnall has got to go. The sooner the better.
          Why?
          He is more obvious?
          See before.

          According to what I posted, it's audience dropped by more than 50% in one season. That's too big a drop to blame on changing habits.
          And that loss is all based on your perception?
          LOL
          SAD
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post

            What a load of crap.
            It's not about left or right, it's about what is RIGHT. Both sides can provide useful idea's, but you don't seem to understand that.
            Forget parties, go with what works. Sometimes the right has better idea's and that is fine, sometimes the left has better idea's, and that's fine as well.
            Don't be beholden to a party.
            We can't discuss this without violating the rules of the First New Order here, but suffice to say that at least one of the topics Chibnall is preaching about is NOT settled science. It is opinion. How can something be either right or wrong if the underlying facts are not known.

            Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            It's English TV, not US TV.
            It's a different beast. Your problem with Chibnall is...……… well, irrelevant. Stop watching if it offends you so much. Or, keep watching, and get ignored.
            Your choice.
            It is a business that makes it's money by attracting viewers. If those viewers stop watching due to long hiatus periods, they may change their minds about that due to the loss of revenue.


            Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            And that loss is all based on your perception?
            LOL
            SAD
            No, it is based upon the ratings figures, which I linked to.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
              If they reduce the show to 6 hour episodes per year, they'd better improve the quality...

              I know the BBC has no mandate to compete with commercial enterprises, yada yada, but if they want to be taken seriously, I think they need to keep a higher episode count.

              I also appreciate that the UK does tv differently to the US - AND - I would not want them to churn out 22 episodes per year like we used to see from sci-fi shows of the 80's-00's (cos you would absolutely have a bunch of crap episodes, and have to dig through to find the good ones) BUT - By the sounds of things, since the series returned, the "showrunner" has been the issue with producing a "full" season per year. RTD managed it, but apparently at great mental and emotional cost. No one else has.

              To me, that means - "It's broke" - so - Fix it. Have 2 showrunners. Have a showrunner, and 170 helpers. Surely there are tasks that can be handled by someone other than the showrunner, in order to achieve better results.
              So, if Davies could do it, it can be done. We need a better showrunner.
              Hey ho, Hey Ho, Chibnall has to go!

              Comment


                #22
                I think it might not only be those gaps in between that makes the show lose watchers. To me, when 12 changed to 13 Doctor Who stopped being the show that it was and what I liked about it. It is still a nice sci-fi show and 13 is also nice but somehow from as much I have seen now (am through the first season with 13) it lost it's Doctor Who" feeling to me and maybe to others it is the same.
                I am willing to keep giving it a chance still, regardless of those gaps and the lacking of the "who" feeling, but others might not

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                  I think it might not only be those gaps in between that makes the show lose watchers. To me, when 12 changed to 13 Doctor Who stopped being the show that it was and what I liked about it. It is still a nice sci-fi show and 13 is also nice but somehow from as much I have seen now (am through the first season with 13) it lost it's Doctor Who" feeling to me and maybe to others it is the same.
                  I am willing to keep giving it a chance still, regardless of those gaps and the lacking of the "who" feeling, but others might not
                  To me, it seems as if Chibnall is spending at least as much if not more effort standing on his soapbox, preaching his message as he is telling Doctor Who stories.
                  And the ratings have dropped, quite a bit. I just hope the show survives Chibnall and the next showrunner does a better job. But BBC might pull the plug before that can happen.

                  Hey ho, Hey Ho, Chibnall has to go!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    I don't disagree that a different showrunner would be better but it has nothing to do with Chibnall getting on his soapbox. He's a sci-fi writer. It's what he's meant to do. The issue is that he is not great at writing sci-fi.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X