Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Ohh, yes yes. I see what you're getting at now. If 'Gallifrey' seems to lead up to the War, I imagine you're probably right about it sliding in alongside his life. I seem to recall Romana is Lord/Lady President right around the time Eight and Charley go to the Divergent universe, and she's President during 'Gallifrey' as well, isn't she?

All this talk of 'Gallifrey' the last few pages of this thread is kind of getting me jazzed about checking it out! But I think I will wait out the BF15 sales....not that I expect a spin-off box set to be on sale or anything, but just in case

Romana is indeed Lady President in 'Gallifrey', Zagreus essentially sets it all up. And indeed, one of the Gallifrey stories actually directly touches upon Charlotte Pollard's backstory. If I were to reccommend two ranges to any new listener (but avid Whovian) it would certainly be Eighth Doctor + Gallifrey and then tell them to go watch Night of the Doctor. It's perfect.

Key spoiler for end of Gallifrey:

Spoiler:

The finale essentially involves the firing of THE first shot in the time war...

On a side note, Time of the Daleks is actually quite relvant to the Gallifrey saga as well.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

BF 15 Doctor Who Update. Due to Unprecedented Demand...

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/bf-1...edented-demand

Due to unprecedented, high demand we are extending our Fifteen Years of Big Finish Doctor special offers to 48 hours each. This will allow our customers longer to avail themselves of the audiobooks on offer.

Executive Producer, Nick Briggs: 'I'd like to apologise to all our customers for the difficulties you've been experiencing with downloading all our special offers over the last few days. Somewhat naively, we didn't anticipate such a massive response.

'The difficulty has been caused by a huge number of concurrent downloads from our site. Since we normally reach nowhere near the limit for simultaneous downloads allowed by our server, it simply isn't economically viable for us to increase our capacity in this respect. So we feel the best option open to us is to give everyone more time to get what they want.

'So, the current "Day 3" offer will last until Monday. On Monday there will be "Offer 4". We're changing the "Days" to "Offers". So the 15 Days will now last longer than fifteen days... If you get my drift...

'The bottom line is, you will have more time to access the downloads you want. We hope this will mean that there won't be such a glut of demand and that everyone will find the process much easier.

'The server was disconnected this morning at 09.29 BST, not because of high demand, although it had slowed right down because of this, but because of a hostile attack. What they call a Denial of Service attack. Our server provider's emergency procedure during such an attack is to disconnect immediately so no damage can be done. Rest assured that no personal or financial details are held on our site, so there was no risk of any kind of security or identity leakage.

'We will continue to monitor the situation.

'In the meantime, relax, take your time. There's no rush. The current offers will be up until at least midnight (BST) on Sunday.'

Comment

Big Finish's 15th Anniversary of Doctor Who releases - Offer 3!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-...leases---day-3

Fifteen years ago, we released Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time, starting a tradition of audio storytelling for the worlds of Doctor Who and beyond. But in 2001 we added another Doctor to our range as things developed in a number of ways. Read on for a perspective on that, and some more special offers...

Big Finish's Doctor Who at 15 - Offer 3

Released earlier today is the latest of comedian, actor and Doctor Who fan Toby Hadoke's epic run of free Podcast interviews taking in every Doctor Who story made for television. All sixty-five so far (yes, he's been busy!) can be listened to, featuring some amazing names from the show's history. Click here to see the range.

We're making another free story available as a download today - the Eighth Doctor and Charley Pollard tale Living Legend, originally part of a cover-disc on Doctor Who Monthly. We'd like to thank Tom Spilsbury and all at Doctor Who Monthly for their agreement on this.

Also available as downloads for £1 each are the first four Eighth Doctor stories: Storm Warning, The Sword of Orion, The Stones of Venice and Minuet in Hell, and then two of his adventures from later in the range for £5 each on CD or Download - Time Works and Memory Lane.

Apart from Living Legend, all these special offers will last 48 hours. See you for Offer 4!

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
          BF 15 Doctor Who Update. Due to Unprecedented Demand...
          That's such terrific news, both for them as a company and for us as fans!
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm so pleased they are doing well.

This isn't Doctor Who news (well I suppose it is nearly, as I'm pretty much convinced Blake's 7 is part of the Whoniverse) but Big Finish have won Best Audio Scribe Award for The Armageddon Storm.

I think it's a well deserved win. The Armageddon Storm was excellent.

Big Finish triumph at Scribe Awards

http://scifibulletin.com/2014/07/26/...scribe-awards/

The Blake’s 7 audio The Armagedddon Storm has been awarded one of the prestigious Scribe Awards by the International Association of Media Tie-In Writers.

The audio, by Cavan Scott and Mark Wright, directed by Ken Bentley, and produced by David Richardson, was in competition with two other Big Finish releases in the Dark Shadows range (The Phantom Bride by Mark Thomas Passmore and The Flip Side by Cody Quijano-Schell) for the Best Audio award.

The Best Original (General) Novel was shared by Greg Cox’s Leverage book The Bestseller Job and Mr. Monk Helps Himself by Hy Conrad.

John Jackson Miller’s Star Wars novel Kenobi was the Best Speculative Novel (Original), Alex Irvine’s Pacific Rim novelisation was Best Novel Adaptation; Best Short Story was “So Long, Chief” by Max Allan Collins & Mickey Spillane; Best Young Adult Novel was Kevin by Paul Kupperberg; and Star Trek author Diane Duane was given the Faust Grandmaster Award.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post

Spoiler:

The finale essentially involves the firing of THE first shot in the time war...
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that happen in Genesis when the Doctor tried to undo the Daleks or Remembrance where he basically did(they said there were no more :-D )?

Also, are there comedy audio dramas and if so, what Doctor's?

And are the Cybermen new-style or classic-style?
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that happen in Genesis when the Doctor tried to undo the Daleks or Remembrance where he basically did(they said there were no more :-D )?

Also, are there comedy audio dramas and if so, what Doctor's?

And are the Cybermen new-style or classic-style?

MAJOR spoilers for the Gallifrey Saga's climax. Seriously - Do not read if you itnend to listen to it. Digi & Blen, this means YOU!

Spoiler:

The Gallifrey series runs in parallel with Eight's lifespan, and sees the gradual decline of Gallifrey. Part of this is a terrorist group that is essentially sponsored and supported by the Daleks who release a virus that inhibits Time Lord regeneration capability. The series concludes with a Dalek convetnional attack upon Gallifrey, and for various reasons, one of the main characters organises an agent to travel back in time to send the Doctor on a mission to prevent the Daleks' creation. So yes, you're right - Genesis of the Daleks *was* the first shot, but this essentially sets it up and establishes why the Time Lords did it and the more conventional and terroristic attacks they'd come under before it.

There are some comedy audios, of the top of my head these include:

The One Doctor (Six) in which the Doctor encounters a man posing as himself (complete with time travelling portaloo and over the top squeely companion) in order to run a con operation.

Doctor Who and the Pirates (Six) in which one of the episodes is a musical!

Bang-Bang-a-Boom (Seven) a parody of Star Trek and the Eurovision Song Contest - He's Dead Jim!

Max Warp (Eight) a Top Gear pisstake.

Of course, the majority of the Fourth Doctor adventures are just genuinely hilarious because, well, it's Tom Baker being amazing. They're not comedies per se, but ARE funny.

All of the villains are in their classic style, even if (as the Sontarans are) they're voiced by the modern actors.

The Cybermen appear in a variety of formats depending on at what point the Doctor meets them. Some are from the early days of Mondas, and so have the sing-songy tin voice from their first appearance. Others might be a later appearance, i.e Fourth Doctor era, and are what we seem to think of as 'Cybermen' by default. Occasionally you get the more over the top Cyber Controller from Six's era. It varies.

Personally, my favourite BF villains are the Sontarans who manage to avoid being QUITE so plasticy as they are in New Who, but are infinitely more awesome than they ever were in the classic series. Additionally, the Daleks manage to be phenomenol. I love New Who, but Big Finish Daleks are vastly superior (check out Enemy of the Daleks for an example). They're just so well written!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I can think of another comedy one, but it's a Companion Chronicle and I have the vague idea that you didn't like those so much Rushy. It's The Scorchies with Jo Grant.

Basically Jo gets trapped (without the Doctor) inside a kiddies television show. Melvyn Hayes (from It Ain't Half Hot Mum) plays the evil little toys, who are actually aliens who want to take over the world (as aliens usually do). It sounds a lot better than I'm describing it but I was rolling around laughing. Though perhaps it's funnier if you were a child in the 70's and watched Play School, Bagpuss & Fingerbobs, as I did.

Comment

Old school Audio drama's
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      Additionally, the Daleks manage to be phenomenol. I love New Who, but Big Finish Daleks are vastly superior
                      You've said this before, and I've agreed before... Anyone else reading this would do well to check out some of the BF Dalek stories; it's not just that they're well-written (they are) or that they're well-acted (they are), but there's a certain je ne sais quoi to them in the BF audios that is genuinely evil and frightening.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

But the Daleks I heard from Dark Eyes were distinctly new series... So basically, I was asking whether or not the Cybermen stomp around and yell "delete!!"

I think I'll pick The One Doctor. I've always loved the multi-Doctor ones.

Is there a Companion Chronicle for Sir Ian?
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                          But the Daleks I heard from Dark Eyes were distinctly new series... So basically, I was asking whether or not the Cybermen stomp around and yell "delete!!"

I think I'll pick The One Doctor. I've always loved the multi-Doctor ones.

Is there a Companion Chronicle for Sir Ian?
                          Interesting that you'd state that. I'd disagree, but then I don't know how you'd define new series Daleks. The Dalek Time Controller (for example) is totally unique. What you'll find with Big Finish is they're very good at merging elements of New Who *when* there's a reason to. especially with Eight, there's a LOT of Time War foreshadowing.

Reference Cybermen, no.

As stated - the Cybermen reflect the time period of their history the Doctor is interacting with. This is made clear by speech pattern, cover art, and behaviour. Should the Doctor ever visit, say, Cybus Industries Cybermen again, then they WOULD stomp around saying delete. But so far, they've all been various classic style Cybermen.

The One Doctor is silly and amusing. I hope you like it.

As for Companion Chronicles - they're not (usually) my cup of tea because (with a few exceptions) they're audio books rather than full cast audio dramas. But, assuming you mean Ian Chesterton:

http://www.bigfinish.com/search_resu...rch=chesterton

There's quite a few.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Big Finish's 15th Anniversary of Doctor Who releases - Offer 4!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-...leases---day-4

And so we reach 2002 in our journey through the 15 years Big Finish has been producing Doctor Who. Read on for some more quotes and for today's special offers...

Big Finish's Doctor Who at 15 - Offer 4

This time we offer another download-for-a-£1 selection, of a story for each of the Big Finish Doctors of 2002 - the Eighth Doctor's Neverland, the Seventh Doctor's Flip-Flop, the Sixth Doctor's Doctor Who and the Pirates, and the Fifth Doctor's Loups-Garoux.

This was also the year of Excelis, an ambitious Big Finish project which told the story of a single city and the Doctor's involvement with it across the years. The four tales featured the Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Doctors, Bernice Summerfield, Iris Wildthyme and a star guest appearance from Anthony Stewart Head. Today the stories are available for £5 each on CD and Download (though note only Excelis Dawns and Excelis Rising are available in this format).

As ever, this is for 48 hours only. See you after that for Offer 5...

Comment

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/white-ghosts-799

Just as an aside - it's all very easy to only review epic or special releases, but I wanted to pass a few words about the Fourth Doctor Adventure 'White Ghosts'.

At only 2 episodes long, it's a nice and compact little adventure that doesn't drag. It manages to eliver an engrossing and highly original Doctor Who romp with all the pacing and action of New Who, but the themes and styles of the classic days. An excellent and fun, if not particularly deep or thought provoking adventure.

I'd highly reccommend this for anyone that just wants to pick up a FUN and enjoyable Big Finish offering, without wanting to get caught up in ongoing arcs or backstory specific to Big Finish.

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                              Big Finish's 15th Anniversary of Doctor Who releases - Offer 4!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-...leases---day-4

And so we reach 2002 in our journey through the 15 years Big Finish has been producing Doctor Who. Read on for some more quotes and for today's special offers...

Big Finish's Doctor Who at 15 - Offer 4

This time we offer another download-for-a-£1 selection, of a story for each of the Big Finish Doctors of 2002 - the Eighth Doctor's Neverland, the Seventh Doctor's Flip-Flop, the Sixth Doctor's Doctor Who and the Pirates, and the Fifth Doctor's Loups-Garoux.

This was also the year of Excelis, an ambitious Big Finish project which told the story of a single city and the Doctor's involvement with it across the years. The four tales featured the Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Doctors, Bernice Summerfield, Iris Wildthyme and a star guest appearance from Anthony Stewart Head. Today the stories are available for £5 each on CD and Download (though note only Excelis Dawns and Excelis Rising are available in this format).

As ever, this is for 48 hours only. See you after that for Offer 5...
                              On this note - I encourage the purchasing of Flip-Flop. Pure Timey-Wimey genius!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Flip Flop - Downloading it as we speak!

Comment

Working...
                                X