This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scary Daleks (S4 spoilers)

Does anyone else think that the Daleks aren't scary enough? They are supposed to be one of the most terrifying enemies of the Doctor ever. Look at the way Sarah-Jane and Jack reacted when they realised it was the Daleks in The Stolen Earth.

When they turned up though, they seemed kinda lame. I know they needed a few people to test the reality bomb on, but it would have been a lot more scary if they had rolled into UNIT for example and just killed everyone in sight, no questions asked. A Dalek who just relentlessly advances while killing everyone in sight would be a lot more scary than a group of them who turns up and kills maybe 1 or 2 people. They seemed to only kill people who were resisting them this time, not very Dalekish IMO.

Van Stattens Dalek was much better, it killed about 200 people just for the hell of it, much more scary than the ones from this years finale.
    sigpic

I agree that the Daleks are problematic right now. The Dalek in Dalek was frightening, but perhaps we will learn more soon. I expected them to haze the planet, and I miss their swagger from the Series 2 finale.

I don't see why they want humans for conversion at times, and at other times, they shoot anything that moves.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I felt that the daleks at the end of season 4 were way back to being just like the classic scary daleks. I mean as they came down we may not have seen anyone specifically die but just think how many people will have been killed off during their invasion. I reckon they were pretty much back on top form this time.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Ummm. In all hnoesty, the humans in DW tend to be a lot more scary than any alien.
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
          Ummm. In all hnoesty, the humans in DW tend to be a lot more scary than any alien.
          True.
          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
            Midnight, anyone?
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Midnight, Turn Left, The Sound of Drums/ Last of the Time Lords (the Toclafane are humans, in th end)....
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I think that the reasons these darleks seemed calmer was cause they were true darleks not poisoned with other species and DNA and thoughts and such
                Tom's bio

Comment

Now see everyone says how whimpy the daleks are now. I have to point out the classic episode 'Ressurection of the Daleks' where we actually hear them say "RETREAT! RETREAT!"
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for "Dalek" - that episode raised the bar so high, made the Daleks worthy of the behind the sofa behaviour we all remember, and made a single Dalek an alien, near unstoppable, ruthless killing machine...until contaminated with Rose's DNA.

Every Dalek since hasn't stood a chance. They've become less and less scary with every story - Evolution of the Daleks / Daleks in Manhattan was a total embarassment, and Stolen Earth / Journey's End at least managed to undo a little of this, but the problem is that we're constantly told that the Daleks are incredibly dangerous, yet every time they're shown, they rarely kill anybody, just issue threats and then get defeated relatively easily and en masse (okay, Rose did have the power of the Time Vortex, but that can also be called Deus Ex Machina!!).

If Stephen Moffat has any sense, and I have to believe he does going by the stories he's written, he won't touch the Daleks for at least two seasons. And when they do pitch up, they'll be nastier, more brutal, more murderous and much harder to defeat...hopefully.
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Working...
                    X