This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion View Post

Meanwhile, new DOCTOR WHO toys for toddlers (yes, start them young!)

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009...l#previouspost

or go direct to http://www.character-online.com/ who makes them

Oh, I want the Dalek…

Best way. *dies of cute*
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

The Guardian has published an article by Gareth McLean, attacking the alleged decision of the BBC to carry out location shooting for one of the forthcoming Doctor Who specials in the state of Dubai.

Although the shooting in the United Arab Emirates has not yet been officially confirmed by the BBC, McLean quotes the Corporation as having told him that "There are no restrictions governing the filming of BBC drama in Dubai." McLean attacks the possibility of the programme being filmed there, on the basis of the country's human rights record.

Says McLean: "Though Dubai might be doing an effective job of presenting itself as a glitzy tourist destination, a place associated with mind-boggling decadence and the embodiment in glass and steel of the determination of the human spirit, the fact is, you may run out of fingers counting the ways in which filming even some of Doctor Who there is wrong."
      I am also against it. Why the hell in Dubai of all countries. They just want to squeeze in some vaccation time. There are enough other beaches that look glitzy. They already had a tough time when they filmed in Italy and now Dubai? I hope it is really just a rumour.
      He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
      He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
      And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
        I am also against it. Why the hell in Dubai of all countries. They just want to squeeze in some vaccation time. There are enough other beaches that look glitzy. They already had a tough time when they filmed in Italy and now Dubai? I hope it is really just a rumour.
        I'm really sorta surprised to hear they wanted to film in Dubai? It's a VERY glitzy place - if you have the money. There are lot sof poor people there working as maids, and whatnot, or building the massive skyscrapers (and they occasionally fall off to their death, but it's easy to replace them).

Plus isn't it gonna cost a load to go over there and film??

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
          I'm really sorta surprised to hear they wanted to film in Dubai? It's a VERY glitzy place - if you have the money. There are lot sof poor people there working as maids, and whatnot, or building the massive skyscrapers (and they occasionally fall off to their death, but it's easy to replace them).

It's probably an advertising ploy by the Dubai tourism board (or whatever they call themselves) think of it, RTD gets a call

"Mr Davies I'm Sheik Rattlenroll from the Dubai tourism board, we were wondering if your wonderful programme would like to film an episode here in our wonderful country. All our facilities would be at your disposal and we will of course foot the bill, all we ask is that you feature some of our facilities, like our hotel and our island, what do you say?"

RTD "I'm writing the episode now"

With an offer like that would you really turn down an all expenses paid trip to one of the swishest places on Earth?

Comment

I would, given the abuses Dubai is built upon. I'd hope the Beeb would too, but then again, they're a business, businesses can't afford the same niceties of ethics that individuals can...

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post

With an offer like that would you really turn down an all expenses paid trip to one of the swishest places on Earth?
              Same as Maddie here. I certainly would. There are better places on Earth that do not rely on people who are basically slaves.
              He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
              He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
              And he's wonderful.

Comment

Nah, one of the princes over their probably love the program and want to see it filmed in his country , so put up the money. I bet they probably had a massive party in the office to celebrate, hay we got a descent budget for once.

As to the moral issues and humans rights, it will not change unless people go their and tell the people that live their and that there are better ways to live free, simply slapping trade Embargo and stopping all business from working their is no the way to change things but it is a way to makes things worst and make another enemy in the world.
                Last edited by knowles2; 17 January 2009, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Dubai is a location just as any other, regardless of its history. And especially in the sense that it would make for some brilliant desert/beach/futuristic city backdrop for Doctor Who. I am happy with any location shooting outside of the UK. We see far too much of it. It is getting very repetitive.
                  sigpic

Comment

The Dubai filming hasn't been confirmed by the BBC. So far, it's still rumours.

And if they are filming there... while I'm not happy with it, if they're filming there n order to have desert shots or something, it should be noted that the rest of the countries in the area don't exactly have a clean record of human rights, either. Neither does the US. And iof they decide to recreate this by CGI, they can be criticised for spending all that money during a time of recession.

And I'm slightly amused filming for a couple of days in Dubai enrages the Guardian writer more than, say, the fact DW has practically been advertising Converse for the past 3 years, when the company is owned by Nike and the shoes are made in sweatshops and child labour in Asia.
                    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I think we can safely say no country (including the UK) has a spotless human rights record and everyone is going to find fault with something about this rumour so let's just treat it like that, an unsubstantiated rumour

Comment

Originally posted by pitry
                        The Dubai filming hasn't been confirmed by the BBC. So far, it's still rumours.

And if they are filming there... while I'm not happy with it, if they're filming there n order to have desert shots or something, it should be noted that the rest of the countries in the area don't exactly have a clean record of human rights, either. Neither does the US. And iof they decide to recreate this by CGI, they can be criticised for spending all that money during a time of recession.

And I'm slightly amused filming for a couple of days in Dubai enrages the Guardian writer more than, say, the fact DW has practically been advertising Converse for the past 3 years, when the company is owned by Nike and the shoes are made in sweatshops and child labour in Asia.
                        Yes indeed!
                        sigpic

Comment

Ryan tipped as new 'Who' assistant
                          Sunday, January 18 2009, 12:04 GMT

By Daniel Kilkelly, Entertainment Reporter

Michelle Ryan has entered "secret talks" to become Doctor Who's new assistant, according to a report today.

The Sunday Mirror claims that Ryan will join the Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith for the show's fifth series in 2010.

A source told the newspaper: "Michelle's been in secret talks with BBC bosses. They are likely to announce her as Doctor Who's new assistant very soon. She is perfect for the role.

"She is good-looking and the right age to star alongside Matt. Everyone agrees they look great together and reckon fans will think they're the perfect team too."

Ryan, 24, is best known for playing EastEnders' Zoe Slater from 2000 to 2005. She also had the lead part in NBC's short-lived Bionic Woman remake, which aired in 2007.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a14...assistant.html

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                            Ryan tipped as new 'Who' assistant
                            Sunday, January 18 2009, 12:04 GMT

<snippity-snip-snip>

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a14...assistant.html
                            Thanks for that! I had actually just read this news in the Sunday Mirror as was getting ready to post it here but you were obviously quicker off the mark than I was!

I never watched Michelle Ryan in either EastEnders or the remake of Bionic Woman but I did see her in Jekyll (the TV series which served as a modern day sequel to the book Jekyll and Hyde) and she was great in that! I definitely think Michelle would be perfect companion material!

Coincidentally, Jekyll was written and executive produced by the new Doctor Who showrunner, Steven Moffat. Interesting. If they worked together well enough on Jekyll then I could easily see him wanting to cast Michelle Ryan as the companion to the 11th Doctor!

Really hoping this pans out!

Roll on 2010!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                            K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

She's already known to the Saturday post-teatime audience as Nimue in Merlin. It can't hurt the show to have a face that the children will recognise. She can act too.

I'm sad for my dream of a much older lady companion, but if they have to have a youngster Michelle Ryan's a good choice.

Madeleine

Comment

Age is a funny thing in the world of Doctor Who. Even if an older actress were cast as the companion next to a younger actor, the Doctor is still 1,139-years old so any companion he has with him is still going to be much younger really.

Take Catherine Tate. She was older than David Tennant...but it doesn't matter because the Doctor is still 1,139-years old.

Or in the Big Finish audio adventures...the character of Evelyn Smythe (played by Maggie Stables) was about 60-odd years old and so would look older stood next to the 6th Doctor but, again, it doesn't matter because he was approx 900-years old at the time.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Working...
                                X