This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
    A fiver says that at least one tabloid will have a headline: Doctor WHO???!
    An' a tenner says it's the Sun.

I'm surprised that they're going with someone who's so young (and thanks Mr Moffatt, way to make me fee decrepit, I'm now for the first time in my life older than the Doctor) but I'm sure he'll be good once he gets going.
    You an' me both sweetheart, you an' me both...
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

The big official BBC release is here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...y/03/who.shtml

with pictures and well, i'm uh, okay, someone said "Let's attract the 'Twilight' audience?" Right?

Comment

I'm still in the Matt Who?! group. And I fn it a bit disturbing the new Doctor is less than 2 years older than I am.. *sigh*

Although, I'm hopeful, and trust the team to cast the best actor. We'll see.... in a year and a half!
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post

Agreed. A Doctor younger than me just feels weird. I'll get over it.
          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Twenty-six isn't that young. Hadn't Alexander conquered Mesopotamia by 26 or something? And I'm pretty sure Blaise Pascal had invented his famous theorem about a cone, and Paul McCartney had written Sgt Pepper, and Jane Austen had written Sense and Sensibility, all before 26.

It's not like they've hired a child.

Madeleine

Comment

Is is just me, or does Matt Smith look like Gordon Ramsay - all ironed out?
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Twenty-six isn't that young. Hadn't Alexander conquered Mesopotamia by 26 or something? And I'm pretty sure Blaise Pascal had invented his famous theorem about a cone, and Paul McCartney had written Sgt Pepper, and Jane Austen had written Sense and Sensibility, all before 26.

I agree as long as he can act he can be 26/27 that's OK.

If he can't or if he can't pull it off in this role, well then.... but to be all huffy just due to his age (or his looks ) is just silly.

It is odd though, I am currently re-re-re watching First in the role and this is making it all weird. He is almost as young as Susan now!

Comment

A fiver says that at least one tabloid will have a headline: Doctor WHO???!.
                  I bet The Sun is digging up ex girlfriends to give them "I shagged the new Dr Who" 'Exclusive' as we speak

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
                  Well, as I said to the gruesomes, the only thing that endeared him to me was his hair and his description of how he would pace his room, watch a bit of TV and then grin and think "I'm the Doctor"

We shall see - but I'd rather not have had the big sell from David Tenant, RTD and Stephen Moffat when the guy really is the next best thing to a complete unknown.

And all that guff about how he will manifest himself as the Doctor? Do the actors really have that much input (costume? hair?) or is it down to the writer and/or director?
                  Bitter much, I'm surprised at you

An' a tenner says it's the Sun.

Hell, I'm older than David Tennant and Matt Smith

The oldest man in the Dambuster Squadron was a year older at 27

Comment

Okay, I do know who that is (that chef guy, right?) and that was a good laugh. I tried checking YouTube but you'd never guess how popular a name "Matt Smith" is so if somebody can find a YouTube with a snippet of his acting, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

This any good to you?
                      sigpic

Comment

OK now I've gotten over the shock! I'm sure he'll be a great actor after all CE and DT are/were wonderful.The writers/producers aren't fools.
                        Also about the age thing....wasn't Jason Mamoa 25/26 when he first appeared on Runner? ... but he didn't look that young. In the end it will boil down to how he plays the Doctor. I wish him all the best.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ronon Dex isn't supposed to be over 900 years old though...
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
                            Well, as I said to the gruesomes, the only thing that endeared him to me was his hair and his description of how he would pace his room, watch a bit of TV and then grin and think "I'm the Doctor"

We shall see - but I'd rather not have had the big sell from David Tenant, RTD and Stephen Moffat when the guy really is the next best thing to a complete unknown.

And all that guff about how he will manifest himself as the Doctor? Do the actors really have that much input (costume? hair?) or is it down to the writer and/or director?
                            I think at least David Tennant had a lot of input into the character - he's always claimed so, anyway. The story goes (as told by DT on some random talk show) that both he and RTD had been watching Parky (Parkinson, a talk show) with Jamie Oliver wearing a suit and trainers, and that they said to each other on the Monday morning afterwards, "Did you see Parky on Saturday? How about that for the Doctor?"

But also, you get the feeling reading The Writer's Tale that RTD listens (listened, sorry) to DT over the scripts, and that keeping his lead happy was fairly important. One of the emails has that DT was worrying about the ending of the Wasp and the Unicorn - in the original script, the Doctor rams the wasp into the lake and it drowns; in the finished version, Agatha Christie lobs a jewel into the lake and the wasp follows (leading RTD to comment that DT was "good on scripts"). There's also contemplation of DT thinking that incluing JK was a "gimick" and whether it was talking him round or agreeing with him that would be best. So...

But there again, DT/RTD are within ten years of age of each other, and both grew up watching/adoring the show and can both, apparently, quote bits at will and are geeky fanboys. There will be a new dynamic with SM/MS. We'll see.
                            sigpic
                            Stuart: “You’ve done nothing, Vince. You go to work, you go for a drink. You sit at home and watch cheap science fiction. Small and tiny world. What is there…that’s so impressive about that? What is there to love?”
                            Vince: “Yeah.”
                            Stuart: “…It was good enough for me.”

Comment

Right. That's a bit out of the blue...
                              LOL @ the headlines, I'd have to buy a paper just to laugh at the headline

Never heard of him, and while he does seem kinda young I do have enormous faith in Stephen Moffat and crew. They must have had almost every actor in the UK (not to mention the rest of the world) salivating over the role, and if they've gone with this guy there must be a good reason.

I'm definitely a "wait and see" kinda gal

Comment

Originally posted by Caladria View Post
                                I think at least David Tennant had a lot of input into the character - he's always claimed so, anyway. The story goes (as told by DT on some random talk show) that both he and RTD had been watching Parky (Parkinson, a talk show) with Jamie Oliver wearing a suit and trainers, and that they said to each other on the Monday morning afterwards, "Did you see Parky on Saturday? How about that for the Doctor?"

But also, you get the feeling reading The Writer's Tale that RTD listens (listened, sorry) to DT over the scripts, and that keeping his lead happy was fairly important. One of the emails has that DT was worrying about the ending of the Wasp and the Unicorn - in the original script, the Doctor rams the wasp into the lake and it drowns; in the finished version, Agatha Christie lobs a jewel into the lake and the wasp follows (leading RTD to comment that DT was "good on scripts"). There's also contemplation of DT thinking that incluing JK was a "gimick" and whether it was talking him round or agreeing with him that would be best. So...

But there again, DT/RTD are within ten years of age of each other, and both grew up watching/adoring the show and can both, apparently, quote bits at will and are geeky fanboys. There will be a new dynamic with SM/MS. We'll see.
                                Yeah, I'm fangirl enough to have listened to all episode commentaries, and it seemed pretty clear RTD was doing his very best to make DT happy - but then it's always been in their best interest to do so once the show was doing so well (as long as he wasn't over-demanding etc).

I've got The Writers Tale on reserve at the local library (it was exorbitantly expensive here in NZ, new hardcover that big, was $100! ). Can't wait to read it!

Comment

Working...
                                X