How are Artifacts made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are Artifacts made?

I think we all ask ourselves this question. So why not take some guesses and discuss them? Also, I think I remember hearing or reading that this question will be answered this summer...so we could also discuss the truth then on this thread too...if this is true that is.

Anyway, I found an excellent explination that invovles Eureka on tvtropes.org
    Originally posted by [URL
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/Warehouse13[/URL]]
    "The crossover episodes mean that the Artifact from the early seasons of Eureka exists in the Warehouse 13 universe as well. On Eureka, it has being shown that the Artifact is capable of strong outbursts of energy, and those exposed to the energy of the Artifact can gain immense powers (the two people affected on the show were at close range, the first
    Ascended to a Higher Plane of Existence
    , the second was said to be able to control the "Akashic field" and also exhibited powers like being able to heal others before being separated from the Artifact's energies by a teleporter). It has evidently being buried on Earth for at least millions of years, so if it periodically emitted energy pulses (dampened by rock and distance), it is possible that the people or objects that got hit could have being imbued with some extra sort of knowledge or power (though far less and more limited that the effects of the Artifact at close range). This would explain why most artifacts are connected with people of note (they used their power/knowledge or an affected artifact in their possession to gain fame/notoriety), and why there are so few people working at the Warehouse in modern times (even 40 years ago in "Where and When", you could see other possible collection teams in the background). Previously the Warehouse was a larger organization, but after the Artifact was discovered and contained at Eureka, it couldn't affect as many people, so most of the collection since then is to recover artifacts from before it was discovered, so fewer teams are needed today."

Opinions? Ideas? Random humorous comments?
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Do you know what an "Akashic Field" is Tood?
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Do you know what an "Akashic Field" is Tood?
      Never heard of it as far as science goes. Why do you ask?
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Magic
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
          Never heard of it as far as science goes. Why do you ask?
          welll..............
          Jel is right, it is a "magical idea", rather than a scientific one.
          sigpic

Comment

welll..............
            Jel is right, it is a "magical idea", rather than a scientific one.
            Your point? If you want my take to it, it'd have something to do with exotic energy. Which then falls under the question of what is magical. I mean...I'm sure a Boeing 747 or a Blackhawk helicopter would seem pretty magical to a caveman. I don't peg WH13 to be one that takes science anymore seriously than Eureka, as in hard sci fi type thing.

By "hard sci fi" I mean that it doesn't stick to what is known to be possible by our scientific knowledge. For example, teleportation would not make it into a hard sci fic work, neither would inertial dampeners or magical artificial gravity a la star trek or traveling faster than the speed of light.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Your point? If you want my take to it, it'd have something to do with exotic energy. Which then falls under the question of what is magical. I mean...I'm sure a Boeing 747 or a Blackhawk helicopter would seem pretty magical to a caveman. I don't peg WH13 to be one that takes science anymore seriously than Eureka, as in hard sci fi type thing.
              Ahhh
              But is this "exotic energy" real, according to the scientific method, or not?

By "hard sci fi" I mean that it doesn't stick to what is known to be possible by our scientific knowledge. For example, teleportation would not make it into a hard sci fic work, neither would inertial dampeners or magical artificial gravity a la star trek or traveling faster than the speed of light.
              Is what we *know* the limit of what is possible?
              sigpic

Comment

Ahhh
                But is this "exotic energy" real, according to the scientific method, or not?
                First you'd have to define it. I just used a vague catch all term.
                Is what we *know* the limit of what is possible?
                That's irrelevant. Something is either hard sci fi or not and that term is based on contemporary science. So if Jules Verne decided to write a sci fi about a future where people used boxes to communicate over a interconnected network and small hand held machines to make phone calls across thousands of miles to the other side of the world via some strange unexplained form of "radiation," it would not be a hard sci fi. Because, as far as I know, such things were not even possible based on their understanding of science...that is until some jerk predicted radio waves in the 1860's and some numskull decided that he should construct the first speech transmitting contraption.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

First you'd have to define it. I just used a vague catch all term.
                  Umm, that would take QUITE awhile
                  Perhaps you would be better off googling it? I find it a bit odd however that you would *use* a term and not know what it even meant

That's irrelevant. Something is either hard sci fi or not and that term is based on contemporary science. So if Jules Verne decided to write a sci fi about a future where people used boxes to communicate over a interconnected network and small hand held machines to make phone calls across thousands of miles to the other side of the world via some strange unexplained form of "radiation," it would not be a hard sci fi. Because, as far as I know, such things were not even possible based on their understanding of science...that is until some jerk predicted radio waves in the 1860's and some numskull decided that he should construct the first speech transmitting contraption.
                  Ummm....................
                  If something can be done, does our understanding or lack thereof determine weather it can be done at all?

This is sorta useless without you knowing what Akashic fields are, at least conceptually.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ehh, it's just fiction explaining other fiction. I just suspend disbelief.

Perhaps you would be better off googling it? I find it a bit odd however that you would *use* a term and not know what it even meant

Ummm....................
                    If something can be done, does our understanding or lack thereof determine weather it can be done at all?

This is sorta useless without you knowing what Akashic fields are, at least conceptually.
                    He was just quoting tvtropes--it's not like he was trying to teach a course on the term. O.o

I looked it up for kicks, and haven't found much other than this:

The overall idea behind the concept of an Akashic Field is that behind the materialistic and mechanistic world there is in fact another realm of interaction. This book presents compelling evidence for this from the fields of cosmology, quantum physics, biology and studies of consciousness. It is like a subtle communication network that underlies physical reality and that connects every point in space with every other point, and every thing with every other thing. This communication network operates in the realm of pure information that underlies empirical existence and thus does not rely on the transport of physical energy, hence, through this field, interactions can occur instantaneously regardless of physical separation and without any channel for the mechanistic transport of energy. Furthermore, like things tend to interact more strongly with like things, thus humans interact more strongly with humans, galaxies with galaxies and so on. The principle empirical and observable effect of this field is coherence between phenomena across any distances.
                    http://www.anandavala.info/TASTMOTNO...c%20Field.html

I'm calling hogwash, but to each his own. *shrugs*
                    || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Originally posted by WingedPegasus View Post
                      Ehh, it's just fiction explaining other fiction. I just suspend disbelief.
                      Fair call

He was just quoting tvtropes--it's not like he was trying to teach a course on the term. O.o
                      Wasn't asking him to, but having a basic idea of what an Akashic field (which is all I asked) would be useful if you are gonna use it as a concept.

I looked it up for kicks, and haven't found much other than this:

http://www.anandavala.info/TASTMOTNO...c%20Field.html
                      Seems to be enough for a basic idea, I would expect people on a sci-fi forum to look at that and say "so you mean the force?"

I'm calling hogwash, but to each his own. *shrugs*
                      Call what you want, *IF* W13 has used the idea of Akashic field theory to create "artifacts", then it's perfectly reasonable within that environment to expect artifacts to follow those rules is it not?
                      It's not like I'm asking you to believe in them is it?!?
                      sigpic

Comment

Sounds reasonable, I always assumed it was just the same form of energy that held together to universe, just did different things to different objects. I never assumed magic, even thinking that I would assume magic makes me feel really stupid.

Comment

I'm using it as a stand in. Exotic energy, as far as I know, isn't really...real. I got that term from the idea of exotic particles. It would be more of a soft sci fi thing in that case. If we use exotic particles, which would be particles with slightly more mass than neutrinos but still extremely smaller than electrons, would be cast off the artifact. Just as cosmic rays colliding with Earth's atmosphere produces secondary particles, other neutrinos such as mou neutrinos, these exotic particles (or a variation of known particles) may interact with the atoms and molecular structure of certain objects and/or their users to form unique properties.

The Purple Goo could possibly contain particles that inhibit these properties and cause its effect to stop. Maybe it affects others via some form of radiation? And the goo stops the radiation (Thus converting the weird radiation into forms of radiation that we know about such as visible light and heat).

But this would still not qualify as a hard sci fi explanation since there's a lot of unknowns and guess work here. But it is a nice sci fi explanation using science.

Ummm....................
                          I don't know what you are talking about.

To be honest, I didn't care to know. I just liked the idea. Given what WP found, I'd go with exotic particles/energy instead or else we would go right into fantasy or really soft sci fi. WH13 does seem like it skirts on fantasy a lot so...

Call what you want, *IF* W13 has used the idea of Akashic field theory to create "artifacts", then it's perfectly reasonable within that environment to expect artifacts to follow those rules is it not?
                          The only issue I would have with explicitly using this would be that it is not scientific. I mean, if you want to keep WH13 as a sci fi.
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

Seems to be enough for a basic idea, I would expect people on a sci-fi forum to look at that and say "so you mean the force?"

LOL indeed!!

I honestly wasn't sure for a second there because you seemed so serious. My apologies!
                            || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

I'm using it as a stand in. Exotic energy, as far as I know, isn't really...real. I got that term from the idea of exotic particles. It would be more of a soft sci fi thing in that case. If we use exotic particles, which would be particles with slightly more mass than neutrinos but still extremely smaller than electrons, would be cast off the artifact. Just as cosmic rays colliding with Earth's atmosphere produces secondary particles, other neutrinos such as mou neutrinos, these exotic particles (or a variation of known particles) may interact with the atoms and molecular structure of certain objects and/or their users to form unique properties.
                              As far as I know, Artifacts aren't really "real" either.

The Purple Goo could possibly contain particles that inhibit these properties and cause its effect to stop. Maybe it affects others via some form of radiation? And the goo stops the radiation (Thus converting the weird radiation into forms of radiation that we know about such as visible light and heat).
                              If you wanted to use the Akashic field idea, the goo would be more like removing a physical representation of a thought/idea from the Akashic field, with the same results.
                              But this would still not qualify as a hard sci fi explanation since there's a lot of unknowns and guess work here. But it is a nice sci fi explanation using science.

I don't know what you are talking about.
                              Clarkes 3 laws, specifically the 3rd one. For a more "visual" example, think of the TNG episode "the Traveller" and where they end up and what happens to them.

To be honest, I didn't care to know. I just liked the idea. Given what WP found, I'd go with exotic particles/energy instead or else we would go right into fantasy or really soft sci fi. WH13 does seem like it skirts on fantasy a lot so...
                              It does.

The only issue I would have with explicitly using this would be that it is not scientific. I mean, if you want to keep WH13 as a sci fi.
                              I thought we were talking about how arifacts got made, not weather or not W13 was Scifi or not.
                              Last edited by Gatefan1976; 30 July 2012, 09:54 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X