Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Americanisation of Torchwood (Spoilers for all aired eps - inc US ones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Americanisation of Torchwood (Spoilers for all aired eps - inc US ones)

Right-o chaps, just to clarify, before anyone jumps at me, the following points must be understood:

This is not a complaint.

This is not anti-American.

This is not a discussion of filming LOCATION.

Too often have I seen this topic descend into Brit's being arsey to the yanks, and the yanks screaming anti-American hate. It's not about that. I don't intend this topic to be a cross-continental pissing contest.

We ALL know that there are vast differences between British and American film and television, anyone who doesn't accept that is deluded. Every nation produces a unique contribution to world cinema, quality regardless. A British romance is likely to be quite different from a US romance, just as British thrillers/sci-fi etc tend to be different. It can come down to a lot, including filming techniques, lighting, etc etc etc.

I personally feel there are times, when Torchwood: Miracle Day feels quite American. Understandable, there are US writers involved, but I'd like to discuss this occurence properly, without it being dismissed as a bad thing, or 'Brits complaining'.

I kind of noticed it with some of the filming scenes, I think notably the Assasin and his introduction was very American, some of the camera angles and dialogue felt, to me, very CSI. I'd also say that the ending of Middle Men, with Gwen's motorbike escape was a particularly US moment, though in this case, because of what happened, not the filming techniques.

Obviously, I also think there's retainment of British techniques as well, so I'm not saying Torchwood has gone totally American...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

I haven't really had a chance to watch the show, so I can't comment on the stuff you're talking about. I would point out that artists will attempt to use techniques from artists of other cultures to improve their own work. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but it's perfectly natural and perfectly normal, and of course the process repeats itself as technique gets re-cultured and we get something new.

I'll give an example from the world of food. Tempura is a Japanese dish right? Well actually it was developed in Portugal and gets its name from the time when Catholics couldn't eat meat on Fridays. Anyway, the Portuguese merchants brought the cooking technique to Japan, where their chefs began altering it and modifying it to Japanese tastes. The result is Japan's national dish.

I hope what I'm writing makes sense.

Comment

Yes... but...

Miracle Day is a joint UK-US production with some American writing staff on board.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It has to some extent, the scene in Episode four when Esther went to see her sister and the assassin was sat in the car watching and then set off following her. Whether it's a bad thing or not it was a very american way of shooting that scene.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Boy View Post
          Yes... but...

Miracle Day is a joint UK-US production with some American writing staff on board.
          Same basic concept!

Comment

I don't feel as you do, I feel that it's still very British.

Comment

hey, Rex said 'car park' last night.....so the script certainly hasn't been americanized totally

there are certain filming techniques that anyone that's watched a show or movie know even if they don't realize it....like foreshadowing the jagged stake in scene 3 that the bad guy will impale himself on in scene 34.

I do think that there is a different pace to BBC shows....largely cause they are made for (if i'm remembering right) a break at the bottom of the hour and a break at the top while US shows are made for a 'break every 7-10 minutes' pacing.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                I don't feel as you do, I feel that it's still very British.
                I'm not saying it's TOTALLY American, but the scene that Icarus mentions is the one I was on about - highly American.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

i think, while the writing may be british, the filming techniques are american, so it's a hybrid
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I certainly think that the filming techniques have changed, especially from the first two seasons. Maybe it's just a higher budget or a bit more serious plot (something I felt that the first two seasons really lacked, just entirely too happy-go-lucky) but this season feels much higher quality to me, of course, so did Series 3
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      i think, while the writing may be british, the filming techniques are american, so it's a hybrid
                      I completely agree with this, most of what everyone has said so far, plus Archaeis mentioning that the subject matter has gotten a lot darker. The subject matter still feels very British, at least in my American opinion. I'm personally very glad that everything still feels as British as it does, and it's certainly key that Gwen/Rhys stay on to have the physical British(Welsh) connection. Without the British flair, for lack of a better word, this show would run dangerously close to turning into a modern X-Files. (Not that I would mind, terribly, but I've always thought Torchwood was better than that.)
                      Call me Lucy!

Proud Teslen + River/Doctor + Janto + Peter/Olivia + Conby Shipper!

Sanctuary, Doctor Who, Torchwood, Fringe, Warehouse 13, and Primeval fangirl!

Please read my writing! Seeing what I had fun writing enjoyed by others is what makes my work worth it.
                      ff.net||blog||figment

Comment

Wheras I tended to see TW(particularly the early seasons) as a British X Files set in the Dr Who universe.
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I think one HUGE difference between British and American TV shows (as a general rule) is that British shows often use "everyday looking" actors and actresses where American shows more often use super models and macho men in almost every role.

This isn't always true, but if an average was taken and could be measured this would be true. I prefer British shows in this regard, makes it more realistic.
                          sigpic

Comment

I saw it as a hybrid of the UK and the USA. Which I was expecting considering who's backing it money wise. I enjoyed this season as much as the other 3 seasons.
                            Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

the series is certainly different but i enjoyed the new and older versions it really dose not matter for me

Comment

Working...
                              X