Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone else been to Cardiff bay recently and CRINGED? Spoilers for CoE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
    I think that is what makes Torchwood most unique when compared to Dr. Who. In Who, everyone lives. Regardless of how bad things gets, regardless of how impossible a situation it may be, the Doctor saves everyone. Torchwood makes the characters more... connectable, for lack of a proper word, because their deaths bring out emotions. I can't speak for old Dr. Who (1 to 7) but I doubt anyone really cared about what happened to Rose or Martha after we saw what happened to Donna. It would have been even more powerful but they can't actually kill a companion off these days.
    Harriet Jones, Jabe, The Controller, Lynda Moss, Robert MacLeish, Mrs Moore, Colin Skinner, Bridget Sinclair, the Face of Boe, Chantho, Astrid Peth, Luke Rattigan, Jenny, River Song, Hostess, Gwyneth etc

Some of those deaths were pretty moving I thought.....
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
      Harriet Jones, Jabe, The Controller, Lynda Moss, Robert MacLeish, Mrs Moore, Colin Skinner, Bridget Sinclair, the Face of Boe, Chantho, Astrid Peth, Luke Rattigan, Jenny, River Song, Hostess, Gwyneth etc

Some of those deaths were pretty moving I thought.....
      But they weren't companions/main characters, plus Jenny came back to life, River died but still lived on, same with Astrid.

That's what makes Torchwood's deaths more powerful, because people actually die. Rose leaves, and ends up in a mansion with her parents, baby brother, best friend (for a while) and eventually her own Doctor. Martha marries Micky, Donna loses her memories, but is happy in love and even a multi-millionaire. In Torchwood, Owen is dead. Tosh is dead, Ianto is dead. You watch them, you love them, and they die. They don't get the happy Doctor Who ending.

A one off character can't top that.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        But they weren't companions/main characters, plus Jenny came back to life, River died but still lived on, same with Astrid.

That's what makes Torchwood's deaths more powerful, because people actually die. Rose leaves, and ends up in a mansion with her parents, baby brother, best friend (for a while) and eventually her own Doctor. Martha marries Micky, Donna loses her memories, but is happy in love and even a multi-millionaire. In Torchwood, Owen is dead. Tosh is dead, Ianto is dead. You watch them, you love them, and they die. They don't get the happy Doctor Who ending.

A one off character can't top that.
        Ya I know what you mean, still though the hostess and a few other deaths were pretty moving, and Donna defo had a few really upsetting moments... one of my friends started crying at the end of the library episodes, cos the guy was real but he had a stutter so he couldn't call out, and again when the doc had to erase her memories, in a way for Donna thats as bad as death.

But ya getting off topic, the outcry about Iantos death was crazy, I remember being on the forums at the time and loads of people were saying that Ianto was the only reason that they watched Torchwood, and with him gone there was no reason to watch it... which seems rediculous to me... he was a great addition to the show, but its not certainly not responsible for Torchwood being good....
        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

I have to agree with an above statement; It is silly that people pay so much attention when a fictional character dies, and so little when true heroes give their lives for us. *tsk tsk*
          Brian J. Smith Thunk Thread - New SGU Hottie
          Zachary Quinto Thunk Thread - Sexy/Scary Sylar

Comment

The presence of a 'fake' memorial like that for a person who doesn't even exist cheapens the concept of a real memorial for people who actually died, many of them saving other people's lives - for real. Soldiers, firefighters, rescue workers...and a supporting character in a BBC drama. Yeah, I'm sure the men and women of the ISAF are happy Ianto Jones is getting the recognition he deserves.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Green for you Sealurk. Well said.
              Last edited by Blencathra; 14 July 2010, 01:11 AM.

Comment

I'm a big enough man to admit that I cried when Ianto died. I managed to hold it together for Tosh and Owen. I can certainly understand becoming emotionally invested in a character. Making a sig or avatar to mourn is one thing, but an actual memorial [outside of a sci-fi convention] is in poor taste. And more than a little fanatic.
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I was pissed when Ianto died, much more than when anyone else died. I'm a writer and I love killing off the fun characters, so it's not like I blame them. Personally I think the reason that death hit me so much more than Tosh/Owen (apart from the fact that I never really liked Owen) was that CoE was such a hard-to-stomach concept as it was [not that that's in any way a critique], it was that much harder to lose a character I really liked. That being said, if he hadn't died, it wouldn't have been realistic.

And I have to admit that I find this disgusting.
                  Call me Lucy!

Proud Teslen + River/Doctor + Janto + Peter/Olivia + Conby Shipper!

Sanctuary, Doctor Who, Torchwood, Fringe, Warehouse 13, and Primeval fangirl!

Please read my writing! Seeing what I had fun writing enjoyed by others is what makes my work worth it.
                  ff.net||blog||figment

Comment

Working...
                  X