TW - British/Welsh Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
    I don't care one way or the other about them, but the point was that we've just had many posts about how the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish don't like it when people think of the UK as England.
    I know I'm coming back to this late, but I did not and never would claim that the UK = England. I said Liz was Queen of England, which she is. As well as Queen of a whole lot of other countries.

I don't like it when people assume I'm an ignoramus
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
      So then what exactly is the United Kingdom, since it isn't a country? Does this really come down to vocabulary?

How is the United States different from the United Kingdom? We called ours states and you call yours countries? Other than the vocabulary is there much of a difference?

Ok. The idea of a 'country' isn't actually that important anyway. The UK is what is referred to in International Relations as a 'Union-State'. Most 'States' are in fact 'Nation-States'. For example, France, Germany, Canada. The USA, well frankly, I have no idea but I suspect, despite the fact it has individual 'states' as part of it, it is in fact, one giant 'State'.

Interestingly, I think there's a growing trend in IR for the Union-State to supercede the Nation-state, which in turn succeeded the City-State.

It doesn't matter that the UK is not, in fact, a country. What matters is that it itself is a single state made up of several components.

At least three countries, and either a fourth country or a principality, depending on how Wales is classed. I'm sure that when I started my degree course five years ago it was definitely NOT a country, and was a 'principality', but I can't swear that it still is.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
        I know I'm coming back to this late, but I did not and never would claim that the UK = England. I said Liz was Queen of England, which she is. As well as Queen of a whole lot of other countries.

In 1707 with the Act of Union, the monarch became King/Queen of Great Britain, since the kingdom was now united.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post

In 1707 with the Act of Union, the title of the monarch became King/Queen of Great Britain, since the kingdom was now united.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
            In 1707 with the Act of Union, the title of the monarch became King/Queen of Great Britain, since the kingdom was now united.
            Okay, I made an error of terminology for which I apologise. That still doesn't mean I said that England = UK.
            sigpic

Comment

FYI - I was wrong. Thankfully so. Wales isn't a principality any more.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                I think its been said by the Welsh Assembly and the British government that even though it is connected to England and part of the UK, Wales is a country in its own right.
                That's what I remember being taught in school in the US back in the '90s....that Wales was one of the countries that made up the UK...or that it was at least a part of the UK. I've always understood the concept of the UK and the individual countries that comprise it. *shrug*

And I certainly wouldn't call some one from Scotland/Wales/N. Ireland "English". Though being from the South, I would never ever refer to myself as a "Yank" or "Yankee" as some of you peeps across the pond sometimes refer to Americans.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                  Ok. The idea of a 'country' isn't actually that important anyway. The UK is what is referred to in International Relations as a 'Union-State'. Most 'States' are in fact 'Nation-States'. For example, France, Germany, Canada. The USA, well frankly, I have no idea but I suspect, despite the fact it has individual 'states' as part of it, it is in fact, one giant 'State'.

Interestingly, I think there's a growing trend in IR for the Union-State to supercede the Nation-state, which in turn succeeded the City-State.

It doesn't matter that the UK is not, in fact, a country. What matters is that it itself is a single state made up of several components.

At least three countries, and either a fourth country or a principality, depending on how Wales is classed. I'm sure that when I started my degree course five years ago it was definitely NOT a country, and was a 'principality', but I can't swear that it still is.
                  Thanks, that sorta makes sense. I guess you're right, it doesn't really matter. I would say our States operate in similar ways to British countries, but not exactly since having 50 states kind of dilutes the pool a little more so we mostly consider ourselves American and just say we're from a certain state. The major difference is like in how the people view the states\countries in relation to the overall overall Union-State. Texas being the possible exception but it is the only state that was an independent nation at one point in history.

I wonder, 50 years from now, as the EU continues to gain more Federal Powers how this little discussion will change. The EU will be the Union-State with the UK being a part of it and England, Wales, Scottland, N Ireland being a part of it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Do British/Welsh people really drink that much tea?
                    I do, but I also drink as much coffee. There's nothing like drinking a lot of tea and eating a lot of buttered scones though.

Is Ianto a traditional Welsh or British name?
                    Welsh. If an English person was called Ianto, it would be a bit weird unless you had one English parent, or at least two Welsh grandparents.

Are certain characters more Welsh/English and/or British?
                    Gwen, Andy and Rhys were quite Welsh. All the others were quite English, I think!

How do British identify themselves? British or Welsh/English/Scottish/Irish?
                    It depends, really. I'm English, but I have Welsh and Scottish grandparents, so I can identify myself as British. British is just an umbrella term I think. It's mostly English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh.

Does British TV allow all the language on public broadcast?
                    Yeah, if it's after the 9pm watershed. Most words but the F and C word can be used, I think? Then after 10pm it's usually anything but the C word, which you can probably say after 11pm but I'm not sure. Bloody can be used at pretty much any time.

Are Bloody and B***cks (spelling?) considered cuss words equal to the F or S word?
                    No, bloody is mild. I've never heard it used in the mornings but afternoons seems to be fine. The other B word is usually for after 9pm, but isn't considered as bad as the F and S words - at least, not where I come from.

I'm usually clueless so, take that all with a grain.

Comment

Working...
                    X