Torchwood to be Doctor Who replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torchwood to be Doctor Who replacement?

Anybody else heard that Torchwood may be dumbed down and cleaned up so it can function as a Saturday night, prime time, family friendly replacement for when any given series of Who finishes its run?

If yes (or no, for that matter)...what's your reaction to the idea?

Personally, whether it's just the internet doing its usual or it is actually planned, I'd say it's a very bad idea. Torchwood thrives because it can do things Who can't.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Where on Earth do you get these rumours from?

Comment

Can't remember where I heard it, and trust me, I'm still looking, and really, really hoping I imagined it! But series 3 is apparently going to be a 5 episode arc shown on BBC1, which doesn't bode well.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

It's apparently going to be toned down in order to fit a BBC1 audience. It's still going to be past-watershed and I don't think it's gonna be family friendly, but I suppose we'll all find out next spring...
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
          It's apparently going to be toned down in order to fit a BBC1 audience. It's still going to be past-watershed and I don't think it's gonna be family friendly, but I suppose we'll all find out next spring...
          I may have heard an exaggerated version of the rumour then. That won't be too bad then, if that is the case. Of course, I'd still prefer more than five episodes, but at least it's Torchwood. And thanks for confirming I hadn't entirely imagined it!
          sigpic

Comment

I suspect it's going to be 5 episodes because now:

Spoiler:
            They've replaced Tosh and Owen with Mickey and Martha...

So my guess is the BBC is a tad concerned that such a big change will bring their ratings down. Having only 5 episodes allows them to see how well the changes will do.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I've got to admit, I'm still not sure about Mickey being in Torchwood (if indeed he definitely is going to be in it...but I can't see many other options given the end of Journey's End), but then, I also wasn't keen on Donna Noble becoming a full-time companion in Who - until the end of 'Partners in Crime'. Could Mickey be in line for a serious character upgrade?

Martha, however, has already been in Torchwood, and while I haven't looked, I haven't seen any huge adverse reaction to her presence (although at the time, she wasn't replacing another character), so essentially Mickey is the only unknown quantity - or it's because of that AND the potentially risky move to BBC1.

Where series 1 was slightly over the top, I personally thought series 2 of TW hit the nail on the head, finding the perfect balance of adult themes and content and Who-ness. I'm still a little apprehensive about the idea of toning it down further.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                I suspect it's going to be 5 episodes because now:

Spoiler:
                They've replaced Tosh and Owen with Mickey and Martha...

So my guess is the BBC is a tad concerned that such a big change will bring their ratings down. Having only 5 episodes allows them to see how well the changes will do.
                has that bit in the spoilers been confirmed, as far as I know it's only a rumour

The last series of Torchwood was edited for family viewing and shown a week later than the full fat version, like the BBC used to do with Buffy, if the BBC do this again it does not mean they are going to dumb down Torchwood for the kiddies

Do us all a favour and wait until the BBC confirm or deny a rumour before going into major over-reation alert

Comment

I read the same version of the rumour and was quite disturbed. S2 Torchwood was what it should have been since the beginning: no excessive sex or language, but sci-fi themes handled in an adult way.

I'm not a huge Martha fan, but the Mickey from the Who finale has definite potential.

The edited versions of TW are distasteful to say the least.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

It's apparently going to be toned down in order to fit a BBC1 audience.
                    Toned down in order to fit a BBC1 audience???? Have you seen some of the stuff they show on BBC1 after the watershed? Compare, for example, the gay material in Torchwood and the way Jonathan Ross introduces his house band, some of his stronger introductions put an image in your head that they could never use in Torchwood!
                    My jokes site - http://www.homegrownlaughter.com - for great jokes

It has come to my notice that some people in this forum are using the letter A without having first obtained a licence. Be aware that the letter A is now a patented property, and continuing to use it without a licence will result in criminal prosecution. Please CLICK HERE for full details.

Comment

LoL! I admit I'm using wording I saw elsewhere. And we don't get BBC1, only BBCPrime... and besides, that's in my parents' house, I don't even have a television. So, erm... no
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

we don't get BBC1, only BBCPrime
                        From that I assume you are not living in Britain. In which case you may end up with a sanitised version anyway, because a lot of British TV shows often have to be edited to conform with local decency laws (especially in USA but in most non European countries to a certain extent).

It has come to my notice that some people in this forum are using the letter A without having first obtained a licence. Be aware that the letter A is now a patented property, and continuing to use it without a licence will result in criminal prosecution. Please CLICK HERE for full details.

Comment

Originally posted by ecchi View Post
                          From that I assume you are not living in Britain. In which case you may end up with a sanitised version anyway, because a lot of British TV shows often have to be edited to conform with local decency laws (especially in USA but in most non European countries to a certain extent).
                          You assume correctly
                          Well, the several Torchwood episodes I caught when they were transmitted here on the local channels were not cut at all (not even for time even though they're longer than the regular slot) - but then again that was a local chanel, BBCPrime broadcast through all of Europe and the Middle East (where I am) and I'm pretty sure it's the same broadcast throughout... The mysteries of television!
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

This is pure speculation, but is it likely that the BBC is trying to prep Torchwood for bigger international sales / exposure, i.e. as a package with Doctor Who, and they're worried it might be a little too adult to seal the deal?
                            sigpic

Comment

You assume correctly
                              BBCPrime broadcast through all of Europe and the Middle East (where I am) and I'm pretty sure it's the same broadcast throughout... The mysteries of television!
                              Much of Europe (with a few exceptions) is as liberal as British TV, or more liberal in some cases, so you should have no problem there. Middle East TV I know nothing about, but I thought in general the area was a little tight arsed about these things.

But how can you tell if it is edited? For example in episode 2 of season 1 most of the world lost the scene of the security guard masturbating while watching the two people having sex in the toilet on his CCTV monitor. It did not detract from the plot, so you would not have realised there was something missing, and it was only about 15 seconds long, so the running time would have been the same since they round it to the nearest minute. And there are no doubt plenty of other scenes like that, that have gone but are unnoticeable by their absence!

Comment

Working...
                              X