• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Comes After (905)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE WALKING DEAD - SEASON NINE
    WHAT COMES AFTER
    EPISODE NUMBER - 905
    Critically wounded, Rick leads a herd of walkers while he hallucinates people from his past and present -- uncertain if his own part of the story has come to an end. Maggie arrives in Alexandria to confront Negan.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 08 November 2018, 11:04 PM.

Well, that was an episode that happened.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Okay, first of all, major spoilers ahead, so don't read any further if you haven't seen the episode.

I've been hovering on the edge of quitting this show for the last couple of seasons. First my wife talked me out of it, then I figured I'd stay around to see the end of the Negan arc (since Jeffrey Dean Morgan absolutely kicked ass in the role). They dragged out season 8 so much, I got very pissed off and almost lost my mind when they (meaning Rick) let Negan live. It was almost as ridiculous as when Carol decided she didn't want to kill anyone anymore, even though she was so good at it.

When I heard Andrew Lincoln was leaving the show, I figured that was a good stopping point, so I foolishly watched the first 5 episodes of season 9. After watching tonight's episode, I'm done. First of all, the episode was long and drawn out, as we all knew it would be. It was good seeing Shane and Hershel again (especially since Scott Wilson recently died). But when they showed Rick in the helicopter, able to return to the show if he chooses, that was it. And when they showed the clips of the season to come, with the time-jump and Judith the new "star" of the show, that's it. I don't even like seeing kids on TV if I can help it, much less precocious zombie-killing kids.

Sorry for the rant. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Comment

I think Angella Kang has coped well with what was asked of her, I'll continue to watch, Judith is simple taking Carl's storylines (or most of them) going forward, it would have been better had they kept Chandler on, but had they done that then Rick Grimes would have died in the season 8 finale (this was revealed on talking dead).

I also think Lincoln owes them an episode, because when it was first announced he was leaving they said both he and the Maggie actress had signed for six episodes each, so my get is he will come back for the series finale if not before (in about six years his kids will be off to college/university and won't want to know him in the slightest lol if they aren't sick of the sight of him earlier, so I bet he'll be back at some point irrespective of any movie - talking of movie, I'm not sure how they are going to do that, because the Rick we know would want to return and fight his way out of whatever camp he is in, so I wouldn't be suprised if this movie opens with him suffering amnesia or something, I don't think the helicopter group is the commonwealth ).

I personally can't wait for
        Spoiler:
        the walker to duck and Jesus miss with his trademark kick - that's how they discover what the whispers are

Comment

The flash forwards made me think of some kind of high-school teenagers show.

I don't think they will leave an option for Rick to return, my guess is that it will be settled next week since as some mentioned here he signed for 6 episodes. I'll be pissed if they don't close this loop before the finale, which will only happen after the winter holidays. Man do I hate mid-seasons and curse the guy who invented that trend.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Alright, additional updates and trivia that came out after this episode finished:

The little cabin that Rick rests in is modeled after the cabin in Evil Dead, and the book on the table was Evil Dead's Necronomicon. This doesn't mean anything, it was just a little homage to the genre.

Scott Wilson's appearance in this episode was the last thing he filmed before his death.

The shot of Rick in a field of corpses is inspired by one of the variant covers of Issue #100 of the comic series.

And the bigger news?

Andy Lincoln is not done with the role of Rick. Apparently AMC has decided to do three TV movies following Rick and Anne/Jadis as they go off to wherever the helicopter is taking them; the first movie is to start production sometime in 2019. Incidentally, this means that Anne/Jadis is gone from the main series too.

This was apparently also Lauren Cohan's last episode, so I hope everyone is satisfied with the total non-conclusion they gave Maggie.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Alright, additional updates and trivia that came out after this episode finished:

The little cabin that Rick rests in is modeled after the cabin in Evil Dead, and the book on the table was Evil Dead's Necronomicon. This doesn't mean anything, it was just a little homage to the genre.

Scott Wilson's appearance in this episode was the last thing he filmed before his death.
              I knew it was, I was like : Hey this is Evil Dead!
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Maggies exit will probably be explained by a throw away line from Jesus about her leaving to go live with Georgia, after all everybody but Jadus thinks Rick is dead, and they will squarely blame both Maggie and Daryl for their little failed Negan execution which led to Ricks "death", and tbh I think the actress probably deserves such a non-descript exit after the demands she made last year and I don't think it's a big secret that Daryl exiled himself to the woods after Rick "died".

I'm not sure where the "3 Rick Grimes films" is coming from, Gimple was quiet clear there would only be one involving Lincoln, and the other two would centre around other or long dead characters, he as much admitted they were other two was a Negan and Governor back story.

There was also no flash forwards, it was a six year time jump between Rick flying off and little ass kicker taking out the zombies,cand will be explained fully next episode, for some reason AMC don't really do "six years later" cards.

Comment

"Demands"? She wanted a pay raise to be in the same neighbourhood as Andy Lincoln and Norman Reedus--no report I've read has said equal, just in the same ballpark.

Considering she is (was) effectively the show's female lead, has (had) been on the show for seven years, and easily has ten times as much dialogue and emotional storytelling to do as Reedus ever does? I think asking to be in the same range as the men is a more than reasonable ask. Especially with Lincoln departing, and thus no longer having to spend that much on his salary out of the show's budget.

Comment

Holy freaking timejump, did not see that coming!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      "Demands"? She wanted a pay raise to be in the same neighbourhood as Andy Lincoln and Norman Reedus--no report I've read has said equal, just in the same ballpark.

Considering she is (was) effectively the show's female lead, has (had) been on the show for seven years, and easily has ten times as much dialogue and emotional storytelling to do as Reedus ever does? I think asking to be in the same range as the men is a more than reasonable ask. Especially with Lincoln departing, and thus no longer having to spend that much on his salary out of the show's budget.
                      https://screenrant.com/lauren-cohan-...on-9-contract/

Says it right there in the first line, although I'll give them credit, it says "requested equal pay", I don't disagree she was underpaid, just some kid totalled up the total screen time on Reddit of her vs Lincoln and she was at like about 30% of Lincoln screen time. So I just find it funny she wanted equal pay for a third of the work, that's not generally how things work.

Reedus isn't the best example either since he doesn't write his lines, his lack of words was down to Gimple, not Cohan.

Comment

It says requested equal pay as her male costars plural. That tells you right there that there was probably a significant gender pay gap with the boys being paid a lot more than the her as effectively the show's female lead. I don't blame her for getting fed up.

AMC has a pretty lousy track record of trying to underfund and underpay their shows and talent. It wasn't that long ago that both the Mad Men folks and the Breaking Bad folks went to the mattresses to battle AMC for money, and those shows were ratings giants too.

Comment

Not only AMC, the whole industry is like that. Deep anchored traditions unfortunately. Westworld actually went through the same situation, the lady that plays Dolores successfully requested and obtained an equal pay to Ed Harris and Hopkins.
                          Spoiler:

Comment

Deserved was a very poor choice of words, what I should have said was given what went down last year I wouldn't be surprised if she has been written out in such a non descript way. At least it appears they've left the door open for both of them to come back in the future.

Comment

I agree that the episode was slow going, figured it would be. I personally thought Rick should die at the end, I can't see anything keeping him from finding his way back to his family. I'm going to remain open minded and see what the movies bring to the world of TWD.

I have been really looking forward to the Whisperers so I was excited about the time jump. It makes sense now that Carl is gone that Judith takes some of his story lines. His character in the comics is pretty young if I remember correctly. I'm expecting a little Michonne/Rick offspring to be running around. I hope that Jesus gets a little more screen time, I'd like to see his ninja moves. I also look forward to the new comers.

Comment

Working...
                              X