• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windmills (107)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE EXPANSE - SEASON ONE
    WINDMILLS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 107
    The Rocinante crew find a stow-away on board, whose radio signal attracts unwanted attention from a Martian patrol ship. Avasarala visits Holden's family farm in Montana to learn what sort of man he is, and Miller sets off on a new journey after the life he knew comes to an end.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 06 February 2016, 08:25 PM.

I really enjoyed this episode. I think it developed Holden and crew fairly well (Holden moreso than anyone else). The parts on the Rocinante were my favorite during this ep. I also liked the parts with Avasarala and Holden's mother. I'm really looking forward to the next episode. This is probably my favorite show on TV right now.
    sigpic

Comment

I liked it in spite of the fact they deviated from the books more than any other episode. What's the weirdest thing about that is Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck wrote it.

Comment

I didn't realize that this episode was written by the books authors. I generally don't mind book deviations as long as they're entertaining and it doesn't change/affect things overall in a major way.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
          I liked it in spite of the fact they deviated from the books more than any other episode. What's the weirdest thing about that is Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck wrote it.
          It is interesting that the authors of the books are in on the changes the series makes from the books. And there are a lot of them and fairly major.

1. Dawes. In the book, Dawes is more in the background and less malevolent. Dawes doesn't order Miller killed as he does in the TV series.

2. The Avasarola agent onboard during ride to Eros. Does't happen in the book. It doesn't seem to serve any point other than create delay in the story.

3. Erenright (Avasarola's boss) does not order a hit on Holden.

It is interesting to watch the changes the author's go alone with in the TV series.

Comment

Any story will undergo changes when it is adapted to another medium. I was skeptical for a while that they would be able to complete the first novel's arc this season, but now I'm pretty sure they will, and some of the changes will be part of how they've streamlined the story in able to do it.

Comment

This show is growing on me more and more with each episode. I initially found some of the casting a little jarring with my own mental rendering of the characters from the books.

Avasarala is pitch perfect casting as far as I'm concerned, I like her a lot.

Miller was completely different from my own imagining of him and really didn't seem to fit the character. But, despite that, I've enjoyed Tom Jane's Miller from the start.

Amos really didn't work for me initially - he just didn't seem big enough but he is definitely growing on me.

Holden is definitely improving for me as is Alex; the only character I still have a hard time with is Naomi. She's just not tall and willowy enough to fit the character I know from the books. That and I find her acting a little forced.

As for this episode, it felt like it really drove the plot forward. Like others have said, I wasn't sure how we were going to make it to the money shots from the source material but now I can definitely see how the season will unfold now.

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesPDX View Post
                1. Dawes. In the book, Dawes is more in the background and less malevolent. Dawes doesn't order Miller killed as he does in the TV series.
                When they cast Jared Harris for this part, I knew it will deviate from the books. He's more like David Robert Jones from Fringe, less delusional, but equally crazy.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
                  I was skeptical for a while that they would be able to complete the first novel's arc this season, but now I'm pretty sure they will, and some of the changes will be part of how they've streamlined the story in able to do it.
                  I don't see how they can finish the 1st book in the first TV series. They should have been able to but "Windmills" was a totally superfluous episode, so much of it wasn't in the book. The stowaway on the Rocinante, Avasarala's visit with Holden's mother, Millers confrontation with Dawes, all that was not in the book so they could have had Holden and Miller on Eros in "Windmills". Then all the Eros action in next episode. Then all the post Eros action on last episode.

Maybe I've got the episode count wrong, how many episodes are in the first TV season?

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
                    When they cast Jared Harris for this part, I knew it will deviate from the books. He's more like David Robert Jones from Fringe, less delusional, but equally crazy.
                    Dawes is not a crazy guy at all, in the book or the series. He's one of the good guys in the book which is why having him order Miller to be killed is out of character and throws the story off. It looks like the only reason for it was to have the subsequent scene where Miller confronts him later.

Wish Sy Fy had a discussion area where the crew answered questions.

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesPDX View Post
                      Maybe I've got the episode count wrong, how many episodes are in the first TV season?
                      Ten episodes total, three more to go. They should get to Eros next ep, then the finale is on 2 Feb. with two eps back to back.

Comment

The next episode is called Salvage, and based on the synopsis it sounds like Miller and Holden and crew will
                        Spoiler:
                        meet on Eros and find Julie's body, they'll probably also find the stealth ship (maybe before Holden and crew get to Eros and meet Miller).
                        That's almost 3/4 of the first book done by the end of next ep. They'll probably do flashbacks to what happened to
                        Spoiler:
                        Julie
                        for the episode after that though, but still, they might be able to finish the first book by the end of this season.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                          That's almost 3/4 of the first book done by the end of next ep. They'll probably do flashbacks to what happened to
                          Spoiler:
                          Julie
                          for the episode after that though, but still, they might be able to finish the first book by the end of this season.
                          A LOT happens on Eros and we aren't even there yet. Seems like a lot to get in the three remaining episodes. They'd have to really streamline the story on the backend to accommodate a lot of stuff that was not in the book and didn't seem to add to the story (Dawes ordering Millers murder, Avasarala's visit to Holden's mother, the stowaway) but took a lot of time to tell.

A book a season would be the way to do it.

Comment

I agree that they'd have to condense a lot of stuff if they're going to finish the first book this season. As it is right now, they're not even halfway through it. I was just speculating based on the episode titles and the synopsis for the next episode.

I also think that it would be best if they did a book a season.
                            sigpic

Comment

Next season will be 13 episodes, which will be much better, but it all depends on how far they get in the remaining ones this year. My first guess was they would get to the point of discovering Julie in the hotel on Eros, but leaving us with a cliffhanger at that point.

Comment

Working...
                              X